LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Severe Pain in Achilles. What would the doctor do for me???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Severe Pain in Achilles. What would the doctor do for me???
Judie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

After 3 weeks I'm still suffering with severe pain in my Achilles tendon after taking levaquin. It's very tender, no noticeable swelling or discoloration, but I did have a rash on the top of my foot and up the front of my ankle that's calmed with more fish oil.

I made an acupuncture appointment for next week.

Someone suggested I see and orthopedist.

What would a doctor/orthopedist do in this situation????

Would I just be suggested steroid shots, pt, and pain meds?

I already have a ton of advice on home remedies, I'm just wondering if it's worth it to get a professional opinion.

Thanks!

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have diabetes or high blood pressure; these can cause this problem…

I think a Therapist could suggest some stretching and strengthening exercises.

Do you exercise – if so –back off and try these

**Rest
**Ice

Wr**aps or compressive elastic bandages can help reduce swelling

**Raise your foot above the level of your heart to reduce swelling.

**Sleep with your foot/feet elevated at night.

I think acupuncture and or orthopedist could help after trying all home remedies.

Have you looked into any supports>
http://www.americanscreeningcorp.com/Assets/ProductImages/7608315s.jpg

Just a few thoughts…

Good luck,
Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Judie, I'm so sorry-- Not good :-(. If you can, I would see the foot Dr. there may be additional treatments or support offered (besides steroids) that can help-----

- good thoughts, hang in there-

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stay away from steroids. I have no clue which type of doctor could help.

Do lots of homework on this.

[group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ultrasound from a PT and massage and ice helped some tendon pain for me.
Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judie... Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uvjXb0YmnY

There are other helpful videos out there.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone.

I've been watching videos (including that one). That one basically links to a book that's pretty much the Lyme diet and avoiding chemicals, etc.... Nothing new.

I'm just curious if a doctor can add anything new.

Most of those videos say the doctors were unhelpful and seem to give advice similar to what I was doing already for Lyme.

Maybe I should try laser light again...I know a doctor's office that's a bit of a drive who does it, the challenge will be getting there.

It's hard for me to use the pedal of my car because of my achilles tendon. I tried a short drive and was in worse pain.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

So sorry to hear, Judie. What a mess. I hate drugs!

Some info on Magnesium and inflammation:

http://drsircus.com/medicine/magnesium/inflammation-and-systemic-stress

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Judie
Member # 38323

I think a lot of the info out there is directed to people who have quinolone poisoning (not Lyme) so the stuff like a clean diet, no alcohol, etc... is new to them.

A lot of us in Lyme community seem to be more informed about healthy lifestyles.

I am seeing my Lyme doc next week. Maybe I'll ask for a magnesium IV if they do them.

Has anyone done a magnesium IV?

Lymetoo
Member # 743

It should help.

ReMag is reportedly MORE EFFECTIVE than a mag IV! I am serious. You REALLY NEED to be on it.

www.rnareset.com

You can be on a "mag IV" every day.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Judie
Member # 38323

I looked up the ingredients and I think I'm allergic to the preservative in it. I'm allergic to mycins. It has something called natamysin in it.

I also looked up the ingredients for IV magnesium. I have a problem with sulfates and it looks like that's the form used.

Good lord, this is a challenge.

Maybe there's an ionic magnesium with a different preservative.

Good to know that that will be better than IV! Thanks.

There's this, but I don't know if it's the same as remag:

http://www.amazon.com/Good-State-Liquid-Minerals-Magnesium/dp/B005PFK3YS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412372008&sr=8-1&keywords=ionic+magnesium

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Usually magnesium IV will have other things in it. That was my experience.

As for the possibility of magnesium shots, IM, when I first started it was just mag. sulfate and burned so terribly - it was torture. then it was suggested that I add 1 cc of vitamin B-12 to the 1 cc of mag. sulf. That B-12 took the sting right out of it. It was the typical B-12, cocobal-something. Before I knew about different forms.

Just in case this helps. And, because straight magnesium can really burn, as an IV, other things MUST also be included, although at least it would not be straight but diluted with saline.

And, that brings us back to the ReMag that LymeToo suggests. I've not gotten that yet but it sure looks better than the form I about to run out of.

Good luck.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I wonder if Gotu Kola may help. It's got great properties for help in microcirculation and connective tissue support. I'd do both an Herb Pharm tincture for faster work and a good green powder of it from Mountain Rose Herbs - or freeze dried capsules from Eclectic.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/32567?#000000

GOTU KOLA - Informational Links Set
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
SOTA LIGHTWORKS, Light Wand (or whatever its called) too, if you happen to know someone with one. Carol in PA speaks very highly of it.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
SCULLCAP, Herb Pharm tincture, to help calm pain for good rest / sleep. It's very nice and relaxing.
-

Judie
Member # 38323

Thanks Keebler! I'll mention them to my doctor and see if they conflict with anything I'm already taking.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

NO product compares to ReMag ... sorry. Sure wish you could give it a whirl.

"mycin" may be entirely different from "mysin"

Judie... Did you find the ingredients in the one you posted above? I hate Amazon for not allowing us to see the ingredients. I don't buy from them for that reason.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
LymeToo's frequent reminder of ReMag is good. Sublingual liquid is so much easier than IV or shots. So much.

https://rnareset.com/products/remag-magnesium-solution

ReMag
-

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you doing tons of liposomal vit C? Or could you do vit C IV"s? Vit C IV is one of the essentials for this according to THE Dr. B.

I agree strongly with ultra sound (usually done by PT's), acupuncture maybe, and maybe an orthopedist (or another dr to rx an MRI (assuming you have insurance).

You have to continue to be EXTREMELY careful----no stretching or strengthening, etc. now. A snapped achillies tendon requires a big deal surgery (if that were to happen through over use).

So sorry you're going through this mess! But, yes, a really, really good magnesium and lots of it. The IV's are usually mg sulphate, but mg chloride is possible, if the dr had it. Arghh!

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Unfortunately I'm allergic to the preservative in remag. I just did a bunch of research on it.

I'm doing the liposomal C (thanks!).

I tried doing the exercise bike today. BIG mistake (stopped as soon as pain increased). Stabbing pain in Achilles now worse than before. Maybe I'll try swimming if I can get to a pool.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

More info on fluoroquinolones:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/02/06/i-team-patients-say-popular-drug-caused-devastating-side-effects/

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Judie
Member # 38323

quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
More info on fluoroquinolones:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/02/06/i-team-patients-say-popular-drug-caused-devastating-side-effects/

I'm on my 5th month of having horrible pain and trouble walking because of levaquin.

I disagree with some parts of the article. For me, I don't think the problem has to do with poor metabolization and genetics.

I was actually surprised when I got my genetic profile back. It's pretty good. Even my doc was surprised since I'm having so many problems.

Levaquin did me in. It's the devil's drug.

linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had severe tendonitis in my heel after taking levaquin for a kidney infection.

I took Soloray brand Mg chelated amino acid which helped more than the steroids given me by the orthopedist.

Those of us with tick-borne illness should avoid steroids at all costs.

This was before I learned about Remag, which I think would really help you - Lymetoo is right about it being a great form of Mg.

For about four months I wore an orthopedic boot to stabilize the heel; this was prescribed by the orthopedist.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lots of people take ma oxide or caltrate but those are not easily absorbed and not well tolerated.

I got mag malate for cowden but as soon as I finish this bottle im switching to remag.

wheres the best place to buy it?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctone
Member # 38779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ctone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing that helped me with tendon pain/mobility from floxing - in my case it was mainly my shoulders, lost about 80% of mobility - is the homeopathic remedy Rhus Tox. It's a specific for tendons, and, at least in my case, was pretty miraculous. It didn't solve all of the floxing issues, but for the tendons it helped immensely. If you do want to try Rhus Tox make sure you research dosing options and safety issues before taking it.

Also, the big homeopathic companies you see in most health food stores have a reputation among some homeopaths for not being effective for some reason. Washington Homeopathics is generally considered to be a good source as is Hahneman Labs in San Fransisco.

Posts: 40 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dali
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dali     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am two weeks post floxing from Cipro. Ugh.

In addition to many other things (antioxidants, supplements, etc) I have found that a morning and evening massage with topical magnesium (I use ancient minerals lotion) is of great help with the stiffness/soreness in the tendons and muscles.
I also use ankle and knee braces from the drug store.

Steroids apparently can make quinolone poisoning symptoms much worse-be careful!

good luck.

Posts: 172 | From ohio | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement