LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Update: Nymph Ticks on My Shirt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Update: Nymph Ticks on My Shirt
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was raking leaves today.

I am on holidays-in the middle of BC.
Mostly dog ticks moose ticks and soft bodied ticks here.

Laid down on the grass to look at the sky. (I know, I know... Lectures about high risk activity not needed). Rolled over on belly on the grass.

Stood up noticed t shirt covered in specks of black.

Looked closer... Bugs of some type.

Got a magnifying glass.

Relatives thought I was cuckoo. They could not see the legs...I could see the legs.

One took a picture of it. Zoomed in. Sure enough had legs. 6 legs and 2 up front. Total 8 appendages.

I had 30 or more on my shirt on the front. They brushed my back off.

I am on tetracyclines and tinidazole currently.

It is a holiday weekend here and I am about 9 hour drive away from my LL.

What should I do?

I brought my Byron whites and CSA tincture with me.

Also, are these seed or nymphal? How does one tell?

They were not fast moving... In fact very slow moving.

Any other bugs that look like ticks but aren't?

Do I go back out with tape and get a sample?

[ 10-26-2014, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: GretaM ]

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bound to be ticks. Take whatever you have on hand.

Do a THOROUGH tick check.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am freaking out and am in the guest room under the guise of a nap.

I have the overwhelming urge to shower and scrape and exfoliate my skin raw.

The 30+...those are the ones I saw.

What about the ones I didn't?

How the hell am I going to get these out of my hair?

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Lymetoo suggested, do a thorough tick check. If possible stand in front of a mirror. Slowly run your hand along your scalp and body to see if you feel anything along with checking visually.

If you find any ticks, remove them with tweezers only. Grab the mouthparts as close to the skin as possible and gently pull back. Do not squeeze the body of the tick, do not put any substance on it, and do not burn it with a match. Put any ticks you find in a Ziploc bag.

I am sorry this happened to you. Do check very thoroughly.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My llmd told me if i was on doxy it would be in my blood and woud kill ketes

The problem.is when ketes get to eyes and cartilage etc the doxy cant get there

Can you call llmd...maybe higher dose for awhile...stay on abx for sure

Once i washed hair in am and a few hiurs later pulled engorged tick from scalp...how can they do that?!? And this was a big one and i didnt feel it...so i think the only thing you can do is take abx

I woder if you could wash hair with neem dog tick shampoo...good luck greta...seems it never ends

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would do a thorough check but that may have been a cluster of a different type of bug. Is it possible you can gather some up from the area and have a pest control person identify them to put your mind at ease?
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eek! I'm so sorry. Have you done your check yet? Aok? I think you'll be ok since your on those two abx...
Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How are you doing?

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So how can one do a thorough tick check, if one can barely see them by eye & a mag glass is needed?

The last one on my daughter I needed a zoom camera to identify, so I know how small they are and why we have the no grass rule.

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is awful!

I wonder if a fine-tooth flea comb could be ran over the scalp (or are the teeth to far apart).

Maybe smother the scalp with something to suffocate the buggers.

Just brain storming....

Did you burn the shirt or are you going to bag it and send it to a lab?

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, the smaller the tick the more likely they are to carry disease.

IF not going to send any off, throw all clothing in dryer on hot cycle for at least 30 minutes.

Also, I would check for coinfections like Babesea and bartonella, since the drugs you currently take do not kill these infections. Soemtimes too, you might get a different strain of lyme that won't respound as well to the meds you take now.

Could you not call your LLMD and request a phone appointment for now?

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some ideas off the top of my head.

Garlic - ticks do not like the smell. I would break open garlic and rub the pieces on your scalp - maybe even juice it if you have a juicer and douse your hair and scalp.

If you had it I would also try tea tree oil - Mix it with some other oil and rub it all over as well.

Third idea - go to a farm supply store and buy the ivermectin paste - used as an insecticide on many animals. Hubby was taking it when he got his last tick bite - it did kill the tick but he still got sick anyway. The tick he found on him was dead but still attached. I would rub the paste all over your head and scalp. It is actually given to kids sometimes to kill lice - but they give them the oral meds.

I agree - I would at the least go on herbs such as artemisinin for babs. Meds would be better but the herbs would be better than nothing.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Judie:
Maybe smother the scalp with something to suffocate the buggers.

Judie, you never want to smother or put something on ticks. This will irritate them, and they may regurgitate into the bloodstream increasing the risk of infection.
Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could they have been black aphids?
http://bugguide.net/node/view/178533/bgpage

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOVE Bea's suggestions! Also, DE. Maybe you can make a paste with it or put some in your shampoo.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlcd1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlcd1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe try and find a place with a infrared sauna. I think the heat will kill any in your hair or on your body?? I think
Posts: 908 | From Albany | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
greta, how are you doing ?
Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

I am in the country in a village. Nothing but the gas station was open today.

All we had was tiger balm.

I put it along my hair line and my neck and ears. If they weren't already on me, I am hoping the menthol and cinnamon will deter.

Funny how I normally don't travel with Byron whites but this trip thought I would,

A-P A Bab A Bart and NT detox.

Also CSA tincture.

Chlorella and Activated Charcoal powdered Vitamin C.

I didn't burn the shirt haha. The shirt jeans and socks ended up in the dryer on high.

I wish I put the ticks in a jar. I was so freaked out and my family was freaked out I literally had three people brushing them off me.

Four people laying on the grass.
I was the lucky one who collected all the ticks.

Even though everyone protested they "can't be ticks, they are so small", everyone did the heebie jeebies and cursory inspected each other.

They were so small. Those black aphids are the similar to them for sure. But these were very much wingless and very much "grippy".

Today I went out to the same patch of grass and rubbed over it with my hand with a sock on it to try and collect them but none were on the sock.

I am here for a few more days and will be trying to collect some for a jar to take back to my LL.

To be honest I think I broke mentally when I saw them on me, and felt very desperate.

I felt like I was living in a horror movie and my brain kept saying, "this can't be. This can't be."

today I wonder why of four of us, I was literally speckled with them. I could not find a single one on anyone else.

Which makes me think ticks sense something in their "prey". Then I got sad and don't even want to phone my LL because I feel like "what's the point? I am a tick magnet. "

There is b afzeli b garnii and b burgdorferi in the species of ticks that are in this area. These looked like ixodes to me, even though those ticks aren't supposed to be this "east" according to the BC CDC, which is BS.

That's why I want to collect some to put in a jar.

Just to prove to myself I am not losing my mind.

This is a desperate place. I feel like a sitting duck.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are attracted to your CO2 .. Stop trying to collect them. Not every tick has Lyme anyway. You may collect ticks that are free of disease and that won't tell you a thing.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Thank you for the ivermectin neem tea tree and garlic suggestions.

Would spraying DEET on myself cause any attached ticks to drop off?

Aside from my head I inspected my whole body in the shower today.

I could not find any but they were so small I don't have faith I could spot them even if they were.

My uncle took a picture. I will ask him to send it to me so I can post it here.

Thank you for your caring and replies I feel so desperate and helpless.
Imagine a small bug smaller than a poppy seed (30 +) scaring me so much.

Argh

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you lucked out and lied down right when and where a bunch hatched...wierd time of year but who knows...last year my roses bloomed in december...an impretty far north

When they hatch thousands are in a small space and all frantically looking for bloid meal

One time that happened when i stopped to let my dogs pee

I put them down and immediatly both were cov er ed. I always have permethrin spray with me...so i sprayed rthem and their space in car and like your friends scraped them off. It was gross

I hope you are ok

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

I guess you should continue to rub hands over yourself...especially behind knees, under arms. Scalap...and genital area...they like places where skin is sift...and when they start to engorge they will be easier to feel

Deet will not kill them...but it is suppised to repel them

Pyrethrins will kill them when they get close...but you cant put it on your skin

If you sprayed a hat or scarf and put it on your head in a way the spray didnt t touch your skin..it will kill them very fast...then maybe flea comb or lice comb

It might work with one of those baseball caps that have kind of a net

--------------------

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to read this, but we simply cannot engage in risky behavior anymore like lying in the grass, etc.

I feel so nostalgic for the days when I did, like I visited my grandmother in Ohio, and lay down in the leaves under the beautiful fall trees. I didn't know a thing, and I was lucky.

From now, you HAVE to have tick repellent on. I use Orange Guard - it's an essential oil from oranges, found in healthfood stores and hardware stores.

I put a little in a spray bottle, fill with water and spray on clothing and gear, and where I'm going to sit if out in nature. Other essential oils can be used for skin.

Whenever I'm planning to be outdoors in nature, I bring this stuff. Period. It's just too risky.

I feel so sad for the world, because most people still do not get it, and also the animals are so vulnerable. I wish preventions would speed up, like ground sprays, tick saliva transmission preventatives, etc.

Here's another thought - if the people in the village do not know, could you get creative and figure out a way to alert them somehow, by posting a notice somewhere about ticks that could potentially give them illnesses they don't want to be getting? And also about their pet health too.

I have many a time posted a notice up on community boards out on nature trails, simply because I know what can happen.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Greta I would try to lay a white sheet in the area and also look on the underside of leaves. If you are able to get any I would bring them to any nursery/garden store even if you have to wait to get to one as they are usually pretty great at identifying pests.
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GretaM:
... today I wonder why of four of us, I was literally speckled with them. I could not find a single one on anyone else.

Which makes me think ticks sense something in their "prey".

I saw a Paul Chek presentation once where he said that bugs are attracted to the sickest of the bunch--people who are actually lit up (bright light & higher frequency for them to see/smell) so they can easily find their next meal.

That's great you have the Byron Whites with you, they may help. :)

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Robin...have you seen a tick die of orange guard? I use it all the time in the house to repel ants and spiders etc. But i will be very hppy to know it killed ticks. Or if it repels them well.

I would love orange guard to replace my permethrin

Like you guys i played in leaves as a kid and playrd in leaves with my own kids

Todsy when i think of those past experiences i feel all warm and fuzzy and happy

But when i see someine do it today or even just sit on grass for a pic nic i cringe with fear for them

So sad for the world i agree

--------------------

GretaM
Member # 40917

Me too LP. When I see pics of smiling families on piles of leaves I cringe.

Catgirl-that eplains why I got the motherlode of them on me and no one else did.

Ellen-that is a super idea about the sheet and checking leaves and the greenhouse/plant shops. They would know all about local pests.

I am so glad I brought the BW.

The flea comb is a great idea also! It might be one of those things to have on hand always for these very occasions.

Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gosh, I think I might start carrying around a flea/lice comb myself!

Also, with the natural repellents (or any repellents), keep in mind that nothing is 100%. I got reinfected while wearing natural repellent.

I now use Skin Smart by Coleman. It has no odor and you can put it on the skin.

Good luck! I hope this was just a scare with Halloween coming up.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Greta i just got tiny tick off my neck. Its for sure a tick and tiny. Like nymph. I thought we only got nyphs in spring. Im confused. I was only out a short time to water plants. I can send you pic thru message or emailif you want to see it

i thought it was fruit fly from bananas when i first saw it and it didnt squish when i slapped it

Then i saw it was tick

I immediately sprayed and used flea comb on me and dog...no more on me. Two dead baby fleas on dog

This tiny tick is big enough to get caught in flea comb

--------------------

GretaM
Member # 40917

LP-that'd be great if you could send me the pic to compare.

I will PM you.

Judie-i will look for the Coleman lotion. That sounds nice. And haha you are right! An early Halloween fright!

[Smile]

WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A flea comb is a great idea. Has anyone tried a lice/nit comb?

Greta, I feel your pain. Just posted in another thread about finding 10+ mystery bugs on my six year old.

The most depressing thing to me is that he was being careful. He wasn't rolling in leaves, wasn't lying on ground, wasn't picking up or throwing leaves or jumping in leaf piles. All he did was run around on some leaves that had fallen on the ground while he was wearing his permethrin-sprayed sneakers, and he definitely did go right up against the tree trunk. For a total of about 5 minutes.

These bugs were all over his shirt front and back. I don't know what they were for sure but they certainly looked like they could be nymph ticks.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more thing thinking about this a little more. So, I'm confused - how would a flea comb help with an embedded tick? Or is it just to get them out while they're still crawling and before embedded?
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would only help before they are embedded.

Using any type of device like this after they are embedded is very dangerous. You never want to break them in half...

GretaM, I really pray those little buggers didn’t bite you----You know better my friend [Smile]

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

I put the tick in a plastic bag like i always do. It was alive but not super actuve. I sprayed one squirt of orange guard in the bag and it tiok a few minutes for it to die. With permethrun. It dies immeditely. With deet it takes 24-48 hrs.

I havent found any more but i am creeped out

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Ditto what steve said

This is scarey

Just like ketes change inside us...ticks are changing on the outside

Very hard for me to hear he had permethrin on shoes and got bugs on him.

Today i was walking on very short mostly deadgrass with sandy soil to water plants...maybe 15-20 min. I have lived here 2 yrs and never seen a tick except once a bunch were in a load of mulch i brought herr. I saw them right away and bought bag of special soil with permethrin in it and spread it on the mulch. That was last fall and i never saw a tick here until now

After i watered flowers i stood on blacktop drive talking to neighbors about 15 min

Earluer i drove to bank. Never got out of truck. I sure wasnt rolling in leaves

My dog did scratch her back on grass...but i didnt find any ticks on her

This is bad. Also todsy ladybugs and stink bugs and possiby termites are crawling on my screens trying to get in

I wonder if its cause we had frost a few weeks ago and now it is almost 80.

Its still scarey tho

--------------------

Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am the poster girl for any bug- mosquitoes love me.

I am sure if we were walking side by side Greta, we would

have a contest on who was the tick queen.

Mysterious bug bites- hand swelling, black and blue- a treat while on a Caribbean Island.

Just not fun....take good care!

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lpkayak:
[QB] Robin...have you seen a tick die of orange guard? I use it all the time in the house to repel ants and spiders etc. But i will be very hppy to know it killed ticks. Or if it repels them well.

Well, we're not endemic here for ticks. I got that info from the TKO Orange folks, that it's a bug repellent and it kills upon impact.

What I have seen is its use on other insects - it melts their exoskeleton.

I'm told that it does the same thing against ticks.

So for any of you that live in tick-loaded areas, go ahead and spray ticks with the Orange Guard and report back to us.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

There are ticks everywhere in the parks where I live. You can see the big ones hanging out on the end of tall grass waiting for a victim.

I got bit by nymphs in late summer/fall.

I don't go anywhere near the parks anymore. Repellent wasn't enough to keep them away!

I was at one park for 10 minutes on a dirt trail away from the grass and still got bit. I saw a bambi dear jump across my path once. I guess there was as hitch hiker on board.

Mvdr
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mvdr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greta, praying for you. What a horrifying moment! My ND says ticks only attack sick animals. I will ask him if that applies to humans.

He has me giving the dog one Brewer's yeast a day to repel bugs. Really works.

He says Bee pollen daily repels bugs for humans. I do one tsp. of local honey with bee pollen per day. Great for so many things like immune system, Lyme, etc. I'll ask him Friday about that re. ticks. I can't remember anything right now, so it's quite possible he already told me that.

Greta, I hope you can cope with this without letting yourself get too upset. It will just set you back and for sure cause a flare-up...new ticks or no new ticks. Praying you have not been re-infected and that this will pass quickly. We need a Patron Saint of Lyme to pray to!

Posts: 143 | From Pittsburgh | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
ticks only attack sick animals
I thought I heard it all, I would change docs!!!

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

I ended up with a nymph crawling on my neck last night. I put it in zip lock bag as is my custom. Still crawling. Not fast tho. I sprayed one time orange guard into bag...not on tick. It slowed down but took a few minutes to die. With permethrin they die if the bottle gets too close. But orange guard wasny bad and so much safer

I question the ticks only attacking sick animals. Here we are losing whole moose population to ticks...there werent that many sick anumals or there wouldnt be that mant

There are so many examples of very healthy pets and humans-hikers, athletes whose lives were changed with a tick bite

--------------------

Judie
Member # 38323

I know several healthy people who have been bit by ticks.

Ticks are attracted to CO2.

TICK EXPERIMENT THAT'LL BLOW YOUR MIND
http://tinyurl.com/oevuc74

Ellen101
Member # 35432

quote:
Originally posted by Mvdr:
Greta, praying for you. What a horrifying moment! My ND says ticks only attack sick animals. I will ask him if that applies to humans.

He has me giving the dog one Brewer's yeast a day to repel bugs. Really works.

What??? For real?? I don't know which is more frightening the fact that this statement came from an ND or the fact that this is who is treating you.

I'm puzzled why does your dog need anything to repel ticks as according to your ND they only attack the sick animals...

WPinVA
Member # 33581

"Very hard for me to hear he had permethrin on shoes and got bugs on him."

Yeah, for me too. I'm guessing he got them directly from the tree trunk, which he was right up against, as the tree trunk was "base" in the game of tag. Perhaps they crawled up there after being in the leaves on the ground.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Judie:
I know several healthy people who have been bit by ticks.

Ticks are attracted to CO2.

TICK EXPERIMENT THAT'LL BLOW YOUR MIND
http://tinyurl.com/oevuc74

-
Exactly

(I think most of us were HEALTHY when we were first bitten by ticks!!!)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Greta-did you get pic? I think it went thru

--------------------

GretaM
Member # 40917

LP-yes I got the pic. You are an angel. Thanks for taking it next to a penny.

My uncle doesn't know how to get the pic from the camera to a computer. He is working on it.

But I measured the white of my nail, which one fit on.

1 mm

A small nymph.

I wish I could compare the two side by side but I was certain when I was pulling them off my shirt.

The book I read said female ticks lay up to 6500 eggs in soil and dirt.

So up to 6500 larvae turn into nymphs right where she lays her eggs.

This explains why I got so many from one spot on the grass.

I have my usual fever today but otherwise feel OK.

Thank you for your words of support.

If they ever come up with a cure for sure I will have a "biting insect" attraction contest with you, hahaha.

When I walk flies land on me all the time.

I'm not that slow haha.

I feel like all of you. Waiting the requisite 2-3 weeks...

That TKO I used for cleaning before. It is good. Good to know it works as repellent.

I tried geranium oil but I hate the smell worse than the ticks haha.

Off is good but I worry about the chemical.

Yes I read a study where sick people exhale more CO2 than healthy people.

And CO2 is used to bait ticks. So that explains why I was a magnet.

I am so embarassed and ashamed I was willy nilly without bug spray on the grass.

I am dreading telling my doc. I have an appt Wednesday.

Thanks for your support and kind words everyone

XOXO

dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to read about this, Greta. I don't know if anyone mentioned this in previous posts, but it might make you feel better to use some type of lice shampoo on your scalp. I think it would kill tics as well and give you some peace of mind.

There are some natural remedies for this below.

http://lacetoleather.com/ridlice.html

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mvdr
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mvdr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't say I believed everything he says, people!

Yes, I would prefer to have close access to a Dr. who was the best of the best with Lyme who didn't send me to bankruptcy court. This guy has helped me more than anyone, including the "LLMD".

Greta, 1000mg. of bee pollen per day is supposed to repel mosquitos and ticks in people.

Good luck

Posts: 143 | From Pittsburgh | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw an informative documentary on how ticks are increasing rapidly in Canada. Don't mean to hijack this thread, but this is very interesting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4IEzEwOkF8&feature=youtu.be

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Greta did you ever lay out the sheet? With that many found on you it would be very surprising if there were not more.

Being able to bring these to a local nursery for identification could really help put your mind at ease.

lpkayak
Member # 5230

yes greta you were a bad, bad girl. into the naughty chair for you.

DONT DO IT AGAIN!!! we love you!

i think there is an organge thing for bugs and for cleaning...they are different i uses the bug one. the cleaning one might kill faster tho-lol

also-i showed tick to my pest ppl and they said for sure it was a nymph and that ticks will be having babies year round they said everywhere

north isnt good enough any more guess they have adapted like the keets

i mean..maybe not at the arctic circle but there are birds and foxes there right? so who knows

anyway...please you guys be careful...and what do we do when we see these kids having a ball playing in leaves...or a family settling down for a picnic...when italk to them they still think i am crazy

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

the part about being more is so true.. even i only saw one i kept thinking there were more so took big dose abx

its about a week later and yesterday i came down with trigeminal neuralgia that i havent had in a long time it got bad but i slept after two neurontins and i dont feel it today

still...its true...where there is one there can easily be more...having a hubby to do a tick check is the one thing i miss about being divorced...well that and having someone go to motor vehicle for me

--------------------

GretaM
Member # 40917

Haha LP! I am in the chair! Yes it was 0 degrees celcius where I was visiting and I thought the nymphs were late also but that video and reading about bugs-seems no where is safe now from them.

I cringe everytime I see anyone in leaves.

Even in movies. When I watch the walking dead almost every shot is in the forest on leaves. I hope it is in a studio with fake leaves and not on location with real leaves and grass.
I almost feel for writing to the actors and actresses to suggest wearing bug spray for those scenes.

Same as British mystery shows. Especially as Britain seems to be more in denial than Canada.

That lice shampoo is a terrific idea!

Mvdr-yes exactly! I try to put it out of my mind because of stress and avoiding a flare. I do think your doc has a point. Especially with the studies about CO2. Also when wolves hunt, they identify the weak pack member. Perhaps every predatory critter does also.

It poured rain the other days I was there so I didn't have a chance to put a sheet out unfortunately. That is a great idea Ellen! Something to file away in my brain for the next time I spot tiny bugs.

I am visiting family now in a big city and the hotel was so noisy last night-got about 3 hours sleep. Did buy a diffuser and a bottle of Thieve's Oil for my hotel room.

Between my cooler of foods and kefir, my shoebox of pills and tinctures, and the diffuse and essential oils ... Hahaha. Trunk is full. Haha.

Ok off to watch the video.

GretaM
Member # 40917

Last two days had severe stiffness in spine and collar bones/shoulders.

Internal temp OK, but temperature of skin is very hot.

Trying not to freak out. Worried freaking out will bring on a flare.

I am hoping the severe stiffness and heat is just the usual PMS flare, and not a new batch of nasty infections.

[Frown]

lpkayak
Member # 5230

You hve an llmd and are on tx right? Mybe you need something for new infection on top of what you are already taking

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Bug spray or no bug spray .. the grass is not safe.

I'm sure that many actors get infected when they are filming movies and TV programs. It's a given.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Yesterday our local channel showed a pic of a little boy lying down on the gtass totally cov er ed in leaves

Everyone thought it was cute. It gave me the creeps

--------------------

Ellen101
Member # 35432

Someone posted a video recently and it had two men going through the woods dragging white sheets in an attempt to collect ticks. Even with all that they did not collect all that much. I think the chances of 30nymphs all clustered together like that are pretty slim. It was probably another species of bugs that you find large amounts of all together.

Your symptoms may have nothing to do at all with the experience but it is understandable to think they are.

GretaM
Member # 40917

Hi LP,
Yes, I am fortunate and have an LL. We added in another abx today. I am on 3 now currently thank goodness. The only big infection not covered is bart.

I agree Lymetoo! When they are running through the woods or walking through leaves I pray they are plastic leaves in a green room.

Not the real thing.

Ellen-i am hoping you are right Ellen. I looked at a lot of bugs in the book, but most larvae of the bugs in that book looked more like maggots/grubs. Not hard bodied like chia seeds. I was hoping they were Beatles of some kind.

The book I read on bugs said up to 6500 ticks hatch in one location in the dirt, and then make their way on leave detritus and grass for a passing host.

So I think in the beginning there are many 1mm ticks in a location.

Then with mice birds deer humans etc is how they get dispersed through the ecosystem.

Once again I wonder why we can't eradicate ticks all together? Just blast them with some kind of insecticide...
What good do they do in an ecosystem-except for feeding guinea fowl?

Let's just blast them.

I am inflamed and in bed. Hoping it is the old PMS flare.

Gee whiz. What a thing to hope... Hahahaha!

"you know you have lyme when"

-you're in bed too sore to move, every joint swollen, even your toenails hurt, and you're hoping it's just the same old same old infection, and you're getting your period.

[Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement