LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Sinus infection after 30 years of Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sinus infection after 30 years of Lyme
table1
Member # 26463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for table1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone:

I came down with Lyme 30 years ago - saw Dr. B, then Dr. S in San Francisco for several years.

I have not been treated for, or had any symptoms of Lyme for three years.

I have a history of sinus infections and had sinus surgery eight years ago during my lyme treatment.

Now, for two months, I have come down with a sinus infection, although the ENT said from the CT scan that it doesn't look like I have an infection, just inflammation. I have a flushed face with burning/sweats and out of body light headed feeling. I also have a stabbing pain inside one side of my nose.

If it were not for the feeling in my nose, I would suspect that because I am now on antibiotics for the sinus, that I am having a herxhiemer reaction as well?

Or do I still have Lyme disease? The ENT doc is young, doesn't know...any ideas, please let me now.

Thanks and prayers to all that are suffering here.

[ 11-06-2014, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: table1 ]

Posts: 12 | From San Francisco East Bay | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,

Can you please remove the docs full names, and just leave initials?

It helps protect the docs.

Which antibiotics are you on for the sinus infection?

Perhpas if they are ones that are effective against a TBD, then perhaps a herx is possible.

Could it be a fungal sinus infection?

Are you stuffed up? Or lots of goop?

I have an ongoing sinus issue.

My doc told me to try 2 teaspoons of xylitol (from birch-not corn), in 1 cup filtered water. Shake really really well. It takes a lot of mixing to dissolve the xylitol crytals.

Then neti/nasal flush with this mixture.

Boy, it sure works, I can tell you. I did this 4-6 times a day when my congestion was at its worst.

My doc says it works best on the biofilms only when it is actually in contact with nasal tissue. So that's why I was doing it that many times a day.

My doc is an LLND.

If your sinus issues are fungal, this should also help.

Hugs,
Greta

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
table1
Member # 26463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for table1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for answering and sorry about the doc's names, I have edited them.

It turns out that I have "chronic Ethmoid Sinusitis"
- this from the nasal CT scan. It is not a fungal infection.

I have now been on Bactrim for a week and am finally feeling better after two months of hell.

I can't afford to see any LLMD doc right now, so if anyone knows anything about chronic lyme and chronic sinusitis (as opposed to acute) please write in.

Thanks!

Posts: 12 | From San Francisco East Bay | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do nasal flushes twice a day. I used salt and a touch of baking soda with DISTILLED WATER.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great you are feeling better with Bactrim.

Bactrim is often used for bartonella, which is a bacteria also well known for causing sinusitis.

If, when stopping the bactrim, your sinusitis returns, then it is probably wise to find an LL in your area.

I think most of us on here have been diagnosed with sinusitis via a CT scan at one point in time or another. Outside of the lyme literate and lyme friendly docs that I see, sinusitis is something all the other ones have dx'd me with and suggested steroids for. (steroids have always made it worse...)

Just suggesting that if it comes back after abx is finished, or you have other symptoms pop up...

Anyways, take care and be well,
Greta

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xylitol and BEG spray have worked for me!
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have any gut issues? I have learned that SIBO, histamine intolerance and salycilate intolerance, for example, can all involve sinus problems.

It can also be partly a paraiste issue, I understand. Hope the rinses work for you.

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about Spanish Black Radish?
Posts: 764 | From Northwest | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukcarry:

Do you have any gut issues? I have learned that SIBO, histamine intolerance and salycilate intolerance, for example, can all involve sinus problems.

-
Totally agree!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot about xilytol...that worked good for me. If anyone wants the name of company that makes a sprsy with it let me know...ill go dig it out

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the spray with Xylitol. Works fabulously well and I (former sinus infection Queen) swear by it. http://www.xlear.com/xlear-xylitol-products/nasal-spray/

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep-it worked for me...im not afraid of sinus infects anymore

But be careful if you have a dog. It can kill them if they eat it

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marypart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marypart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xylitol is amazing in the sinus rinse. I use Ultimate Sweetener which is Xylitol from birch. I buy it here:

http://theultimatelife.net/PagePurchase.htm

Every single morning I use a NeilMed sinus rinse bottle with a packet of saline, plus about half a teaspoon of Xylitol AND after I fill it with warm water and shake, I add three drops of Johnson's Baby Shampoo.

Then I do my rinse. I have gotten through several colds WITHOUT getting a sinus infection. I cannot tell you what a miracle that is for me.

I read a journal article.. a review of treatment for acute sinusitis.. and it listed Xylitol and Baby Shampoo as being topical treatments that show promise.

Both break down biofilm.

--------------------
Son, 26, Dx Lyme 4/10, Babs 8/10
Had serious arthritis, all gone.
Currently on Valtrex
Daughter, 26,bullseye 7/11
arthritis in knees, cured and off all meds. .
Self:Lyme, bart, sxs gone, no longer treating.

Posts: 496 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement