LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Helicobacter Pylori Treatment Options

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Helicobacter Pylori Treatment Options
Pocono Lyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) has been identified by researchers as the cause of the majority of gastrointestinal ulcers.

H. pylori is a bacteria that lives in the stomach and small intestine.

It has a unique way of adapting to the highly acidic environment of the stomach.

Although the stomach produces highly concentrated gastric juice which readily digest food or kill microorganisms, H. Pylori has a unique ability to dig itself into the protective lining of the stomach mucosal.

Unfortunately, low levels of stomach acid increase the chance of this bacteria surviving.

This may be one of the more serious side effects of the popularly prescribed medicines for excess stomach acid.

We now have a national epidemic of people suffering with digestive problems.

These same medicines that are suppose to decrease or worse STOP the production of acid, may be exactly what the H. Pylori bug needs to survive.

Once H. pylori is safe in the mucus, it is able to fight the stomach acid that does reach it with an enzyme it possesses called urease. Urease converts urea, of which there is an abundant supply in the stomach (from saliva and gastric juices), into bicarbonate and ammonia, which are strong bases.

This creates a cloud of acid-neutralizing chemicals around the H. pylori, protecting it from the acid in the stomach. The breath test method of diagnosis relies on this reaction being present.

Contributing to the protection of H. pylori is the fact that the body's natural defenses cannot reach the bacterium in the mucus lining of the stomach.

How H. Pylori is Transmitted

H. pylori is believed to be transmitted orally.

Many researchers believe that H, pylori is transmitted orally by means of fecal matter through the ingestion of waste-tainted food or water.

Complication of Untreated H pylori

About 550,000 new cases of stomach cancer each year are attributable to Helicobacter pylori.

Tests to Detect H. Pylori

Besides the standard blood test, the following two tests should be considered

•Helicobacter Pylori Antibody Assay

An ELISA method is used to measure serum IgG antibodies to Helicobacter pylori.

Breath Test

The Urea Breath Test is a cost effective, non-invasive, highly accurate 15-minute test to detect Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infection. Importantly, the Urea Breath Test detects active infection, and in contrast to blood serology tests, doesn't produce false positives results due to previous infection. The Urea Breath Test detects very low levels of H. pylori colonization and assesses the entire gastric mucosa. This patient friendly breath test provides definitive answers to rule out H. pylori infection.

Stool Test

The Premier Platinum HpSA, an enzyme immunoassay for the detection of Helicobacter pylori antigens in human stool, cleared by the FDA and CE-marked, is now widely used in many countries, as a valuable tool for the H.pylori patients' management

Action Steps to Treat and Eliminate H. Pylori

It is not recommended to treat H Pylori with a single medication so combination therapy should always be used. There are a number of combination therapies in common use e.g. dual, triple and quadruple, but at this time the most proven effective treatment is a 2-week course of triple therapy.

FDA Approved Treatments

Traditional "triple therapy", consisting of colloidal bismuth (found in the U.S. in OTC substances such as Pepto Bismol), tetracycline and metronidazole has resulted in 60-95% eradication of H. pylori.

Alternative Treatments

•Supplementation for one month with Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium yogurt or capsules AFTER one week of triple antibiotic therapy.

•Drinking approximately 1 quart of water per 50 pounds of bodyweight has resolved many cases of H. Pylori infection.

•Mastic gum has also been shown to kill H. pylori.

•The combination of garlic with the antibiotic omeprazole has shown to increase the effectiveness of the antibiotic.

•Increase your intake of cinnamon. Cinnamon extract (from methylene chloride) inhibited H. pylori at concentration range of common antibiotics.

•Berberine is an herb that has broad-spectrum antibiotic activity and has shown some promise in inhibiting the growth of H. pylori.

In a Chinese study, administration of 300 mg berberine three times daily for six weeks resulted in suppression of H. pylori in at least 40 percent of a group of peptic ulcer patients.

--------------------
2 Corinthians 12:9-11

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Important thread, thanks for this information. Here's what comes to my mind, too:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=117755;p=0

Topic: RIFE Machine - Reference LINKS
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
although for h.Pylori, the antibiotic regimen that has a specific combination is also certainly worth a look, one item on your list above is Berberine. Some collected links to expand on that one:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=121034;p=0

BERBERINE – LINKS SET
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I don't see the source of that list to look at who says this, however,

I've not had energy to look at the entire list . . . just this or that, so far. One thing on that list that I totally disagree with and there is no amount of reading this some other way that will change the sheer error of this bit:

"Drinking approximately 1 quart of water per 50 pounds of bodyweight has resolved many cases of H. Pylori infection." (end quote)

No. No. No. It will not. It absolutely will not.
-

[ 11-09-2014, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Keebler. Drinking water like that will not help with h. pylori.
Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Byron White Formulas- there is one for H-Pylori.
Posts: 764 | From Northwest | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pebbles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43614

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pebbles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is very interesting because I have a history of ulcers. I had the breath test, the blood test and they took a sample when I had my endoscopy. They all came back equivocal, so my GI doc did not want to give me the treatment for it.

She thought my ulcers were caused from taking ibuprofen, which I don't even take it that much. So even though I avoided ibuprofen my ulcer came back. My primary Dr gave me the treatment for H.Pylori and my ulcer still came back after that.

The only thing that keeps my ulcer away is DGL licorice and Slippery Elm. I have been looking into some treatment for this and one of the things I read about was Tumeric, so I was thinking of starting some of that.

Posts: 116 | From Upstate NY | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=118724;p=0

H. PYLORI - various LINKS
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Pebbles,

Testing is not perfect.

And one Rx treatment round (which must be a VERY specific combination Rx approach, not just one) may not be enough to eradicate h.Pylori. And, other things can cause the ulcer, too.

If one infection can, it makes sense other infections could, too. Lyme can cause "leaky gut" and that means the lining of the gut is compromised, even broken through at times (and that's an ulcer).

Celiac sprue can (sprue being the infection that was the first connected to gluten troubles but we know now it's not the only celiac / gluten trouble maker).

Various Rx and various OTC products can also. NSAIDS, aspirin are not the only ones.

Parasites should be considered as well as lack of flora balance. Links above may help.
-

Pebbles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43614

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pebbles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Keebler, I will check out the links.

I was put on the Triple Therapy combo for H.Pylori for 2 weeks and it was pretty harsh. I have just started working on treating parasites and working on the healing the gut and such, but I also wanted to add in something specific for the H.Pylori.

Posts: 116 | From Upstate NY | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Omeprazole is a Proton-Pump Inhibitor (PPI) and not an antibiotic?

[confused]

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised the supplement

Mastic Gum

has not been mentioned. Also Zinc Carnosine.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prevpac was the treatment I did for h. pylori (it was hell, I'm allergic to one of the drugs in there).

I did DGL for years before learning I had h. pylori. DGL didn't do much.

I did a test for stool and blood the same week. Stool was negative, blood was positive. Get tested in multiple ways!

L-glutamine powder has helped me heal my stomach. It can be too stimulating for some with Lyme and interact with some meds, so read webmd info before trying it.

Glutamine supplements show promise in treating stomach ulcers

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2009/05/glutamine-supplements-show-promise-in-treating-stomach-ulcers/

WebMD info:

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-878-glutamine.aspx?activeingredientid=878&activeingredientname=glutamine

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also look at Calendula tincture 5 drops in

1/2 cup of water to help with ulcers. It's also an

antiseptic.

Posts: 764 | From Northwest | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not see Manuka Honey mentioned.

I used Rife frequency treatments to eliminate it from my stomach. This works,extremely quickly depending on the strain. It does not appear to work for all strains.

I had burning stomach pain constantly. While running 676 Hz for ten minutes it went away as I ran it.

The frequency has to be used for ten minutes a day for at least six days in a row or it will come back.

It may take longer for other areas of infection.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pyloricil has gotten rid of h. Pylori for me more than once. It is a natural treatment.
Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement