LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Heater causing serious sinus issues...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Heater causing serious sinus issues...
Jamers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,
Since the weather has gotten colder I've kicked on my heater. At first I noticed the dry air and so did my husband. However, the last few nights each time it kicked on I noticed increased stuffiness. I think even my dogs are reacting with lots of sneezing.

I woke up this morning with a terrible sinus headache and achy stiff neck. I think I may be reacting to a dust or mold being kicked into the air rather than just the dry heat. Does anyone know how I can cope or block these allergens from entering the house each time I turn on the heat?

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
triathlongal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathlongal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What type of heat do you have? I have hot water baseboard and MUST take the covers off and clean everything or I am sure to get a sinus infection. I have very severe dust/dust mite allergies.

I also have an air purifier and humidifier to keep the house at 40%.

Posts: 151 | From North East | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a heat pump that is pumped through and HVAC system. I also have dust allergies plus mold allergies. I didn't think of taking off the covers and cleaning them. I heard that placing cheesecloth on the vents may block some allergens too. Last resort, I may need to get my ducts cleaned.

This does happen every year since I got sick. What's weird is that it happens when I turn on the heat or air for the first time in the season. I wonder if there is mold that gets kicked up.

I really need to invest in a humidifier as well. Thanks for your help.

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had the same problem this year. I bought an extra extension hose for my vacuum and went in and cleaned part of the ducts myself. I did it with an empty bag so i could see what came out. for me it mostly a black sooty-like material located near the registers.

my hoses probably got in about eight feet down each register. I did tape the hoses securely so they would accidently get loose and drop into the ducts.

I also upgraded my heating filter from the average $4 kind to a $19 one(home depot) and that seeemed to help too.

Only problem now is my neighbors wood smoke is getting in my house so will still have to buy an air purifier. Trying to decide which one.

take care

[ 02-10-2015, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: dogmom2 ]

Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenotlite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in the north and have gas heat so I can relate, although I have a year round issue. I'm reading "The Sinus Cure" by Debra Fulghum Bruce and have started doing sinus irrigation. So far I'm having tremendous success with it. The swelling and tinnitus of my right ear are way down.

I didn't bother getting a nasal irrigator but I just adapted my dental irrigator by putting a somewhat conical faucet washer on the tip using electrical tape to adapt it. Way better than a neti pot and I like my neti pot

I plan on posting later when I can be more sure of long-term effects.

Posts: 705 | From WA state | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenotlite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Waterpik used to have a nasal tip included in some of its accessories.
Posts: 705 | From WA state | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement