LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cuomo signed the NY State Doctor Protection Bill!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cuomo signed the NY State Doctor Protection Bill!!!
Rumigirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone who worked on this!!! Yeah.

My doc, who has been going through his third investigation for many years now, says, well, they will just get you on a technicality, like insufficient office notes.

This is true, but this is an historic moment, and I'm not thinking of such things much now.

I guess the rest of this can be moved to Activisim or General, but I wanted everyone to know the great news!

It took A LOT for work from a lot of people, to be sure. The other side lobbied really hard for him to not sign it, or to water it down with ammendments. I don't know the details of that yet.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great news.

Every little bit of legislation helps in the long run.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great news!! I think it really does help states protect their Lyme docs when there are protective laws.

Take that, denialists!

Posts: 13117 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not think it would get passed, but WOW!!!!!

I have never written this many letters & asked family & friends for anything other than this so vehemently. I am sure countless others did the same & we did it all collectively.

Thanks to all the people in the public figure & representatives who spoke in our favor, without them there is no way this would have passed.

Gotta put in my Bryan chant.......
 -

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank God. And thank you to all the activist.

So hard when chronic fatigue finically depletion are the hallmarks of our patients to get to rally.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW, I am elated. Wonderful news and how very hard we have worked for this for so many years. [woohoo] [woohoo]
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had to post again. After all these years we did it!!! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIGHT ON!!! Whoooo hoooo!!!! Historic moment here friends!!!

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Thanks so much for this wonderful news.

I read yesterday that he also is preventing fracking in the state of NY. Such a great health move this is, for sure.

I was overjoyed that he took that stand and was still hoping he'd see his way about lyme / TBD and the real doctors who are on the front lines.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Guessing more eyes than mine still really want to see this in print, as some kind of proof / assurance. Great thanks to ALL advocates in the various organizations & all within the lyme / TBD community, friends, family members who gave their voice.

From the fabulous advocates at LymeDisease.org - and the Poughkeepsie Journal:

http://lymedisease.org/news/lyme_disease_views/cuomo-signs-lyme-bill.html

NEWS: Cuomo signs bill safeguarding Lyme treatment

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed a bill late Wednesday that protects Lyme doctors who prescribe long-term antibiotics.

From the Poughkeepsie Journal, Dec. 18, 2014: by John Ferro

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/story/news/health/lyme-disease/2014/12/18/cuomo-signs-lyme-disease-bill/20576915/
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Rumigirl,

Looking back over your initial post, it does dishearten me to realize that your doctor is likely right in his perception:

[Rumigirl writes that her] "doc, who has been going through his third investigation for many years now, says, well, they will just get you on a technicality, like insufficient office notes." (end quote)
-

Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Let's keep this positive, at least for today. Let's be optimistic that this will help pave the way to bring Lyme Disease and co-infections out of the shadows and allow real progress to be made moving forward with regard to treatment and access to treatment for everyone.
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha, 7 out of 10. It must have been a BUSY day.

"A representative from Governor Cuomo's office says 7 out of 10 calls are in support of the Lyme disease bill, which would allow physicians to prescribe antibiotic treatments beyond the standard 30 day regime.

It's just a phone call, if you would like your support to be counted, you can call his office at 518-474-8390. His representative says the number of calls (either for or against) are logged by zip code and a complete tally is provided to the Governor."

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Lymedin2010

The bill was signed . . . are calls still being taken on this?
-

Abxnomore
Member # 18936

No the bill has now been signed and is now the law. Fifteen years of hard work and dedication is what it took.
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

I'm truly shocked how little enthusiasm and interest this post is getting both here and in activism.

This is a huge happening for the Lyme Community and it took 15 years of hard work, persistence, protests, petitions and continual activism.

It all began when Dr. Orens had his medical license revoked more than 15 years ago for treating Lyme Disease and a small group of people gathered in front of the office of the OMPC. The activism never stopped and today we have this fantastic opportunity in front of us that is now law.

I find the participation and interest on a whole host of topics to be so lacking on Lymenet. It's truly disappointing and has become such a different site from the old days.

nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is great news.

A big THANK YOU! to all who worked on this.

It must be like a knife in the gut to the other side.

Little by little the nature of TBI's is becoming clear, despite all the efforts of denial and obfuscation.

Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia_Azure
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maia_Azure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

How many states have similar laws on the books or is this the first?

I thought rhode Island, MA and CT had something but I can't remember in my brain fog [Smile]

--------------------
Sick since 2000
Bulls eye 2005
Dx Babesia, Lyme 2014

Posts: 247 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

As far as I know they are California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont and now New York.

I don't know the full scope of the law for each state and I am sure they must vary from state to state.

Maia_Azure
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maia_Azure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
where is Maine and New Jersey on this? Gotta get with the program ! 😀

--------------------
Sick since 2000
Bulls eye 2005
Dx Babesia, Lyme 2014

Posts: 247 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

You have to organize. It took New York State more then 15 years of continual protests, rallies, petitions and political pressure to finally see this bill become law. It didn't come easily.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement