LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Yeast research: affected by caffeine and chloroquine (anti-malarial)?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yeast research: affected by caffeine and chloroquine (anti-malarial)?
Sonatina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonatina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly ... according to this abstract.

See:

Cell wall perturbation sensitizes fungi to the anti-malarial drug chloroquine.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23733464

P.S. Please do not use this as a basis for deciding change your diet or medications in any way. Consult your physician! I'm not a healthcare professional. Thanks.

--------------------
Please consult your physician before making any changes to your diet, medications, or supplements. I am not a healthcare professional and nothing I write should be construed as medical advice.

Posts: 166 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please tell me what it says in a sentence or two-affected how...good or bad

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonatina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonatina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good.

The study used Saccharomyces cerevisiae (baker's yeast) but also found similar effects in Candida glabrata and a strain of aspergillus.

Caffeine was used to "perturb" the cell wall of the fungi. This was found to allow higher accumulation of chloroquine within the yeast cells, thus boosting the effect of the chloroquine and making it more toxic to the yeast.

They also mention that there have been other reports of antifungal effects of chloroquine.

Interesting. I'm curious to know whether caffeine would have a similarly boosting effect used with diflucan or other azole anti-fungals, but they didn't test this.

--------------------
Please consult your physician before making any changes to your diet, medications, or supplements. I am not a healthcare professional and nothing I write should be construed as medical advice.

Posts: 166 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please tell me what it says in a sentence or two-affected how...good or bad

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonatina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45056

The study found that caffeine + chloroquine had anti-fungal effects.

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Does chloroquine have another name

--------------------

Sonatina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45056

Aralen is another name for chloroquine.

Other drugs from the same class include:
- Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine)
- Mepron (atovaquone)

both of which are often prescribed to Lyme/TBD patients.

--------------------

Judie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd avoid chloroquine. It's a quinolone. I took primaquine (another quinolone) and it caused me to be refloxed a month after levaquin (another quinolone).

These drugs are very strong and caused permanent damage for me that was worse than the infections.

Side effects of Chloroquine (I have some of these that are now permanent from quinolones):

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/chloroquine-side-effects.html

Part III, Be Aware of the Very Real Dangers of Quinolone Antibiotics: Chronic Intestinal Damage

http://www.naturalnews.com/032336_antibiotics_intestinal_damage.html#ixzz3MZO5Vuoc

2013 FDA Warning about Fluoroquinolone antibiotics causing PERMANENT damage

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/130342?

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonatina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45056

Judie,
The FDA warning is about fluoroquinolone antibiotics, such as Cipro, Levaquin, Factive, Avelox.

I could be wrong but my understanding is that chloroquine & the other anti-malarials are a separate group of drugs from the fluoroquinolone antibiotics. The anti-malarials include drugs commonly prescribed to treat Babesia.

Do you have a source you can post?

Thanks.
S.

--------------------

Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sonatina:
Aralen is another name for chloroquine.

Other drugs from the same class include:
- Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine)
- Mepron (atovaquone)

both of which are often prescribed to Lyme/TBD patients.

From what I understand Mepron (and malarone) are not in the same class as chloroquine, however they are both used as treatments for babesia.
Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonatina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45056

The sources I can find list all 3 drugs (chloroquine, plaquenil, and mepron) as aminoquinolines, which is a group of anti-malarial medications.

At least as far as I can tell, they are a separate group of drugs from the type of antibiotics (fluoroquinolones) the FDA was warning about.

The FDA's warning is for drugs like cipro, levaquin, factive, and avelox, b/c that drug group has been linked to tendon injuries.

If you have other info feel free to post.

--------------------

Judie
Member # 38323

Quinolones were causing the problems before fluoroquinolones were made (by adding fluoride to quinolone). They are both derived from quinine.

Here's further reading if you're interested. Can't type much more because of tendon damage/nerve pain in my fingers from these drugs (thanks levaquin and primaquine).

You can do a google search for "dangers of non-fluorinated quinolone" is you want to read more.

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pharmacology/antibacterial_agents/quinolones.html

Recent progress in the development of anti-malarial quinolones

http://www.malariajournal.com/content/13/1/339

"Quinolones are synthetic compounds containing the 4-oxo-1,4-dihydroquinoline skeleton that may be written as the tautomeric 4-hydroxyquinoline (Figure 3). They are mostly used as antibiotics [16]."

http://www.drugs.com/cons/nalidixic-acid.html

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Caffeine is also known to kill GOOD bacteria.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonatina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45056

The FDA warning seems to be specifically for the fluoroquinolones, which are the ones that have been linked to tendon damage (cipro, levaquin, etc).

Not to say that other types of anti-microbials or quinolone-derived drugs are risk-free. They ALL can potentially cause adverse effects.

For a patient with "just" candida infection, diflucan is likely a safer -- and certainly a much better studied -- option.

But for someone with Babesia AND candida infections, the possibility of knocking out both with an anti-malarial might at least be worth a discussion with their doctor.

Again, I am just posting the abstract info. I found. I do not know whether this would help anyone or what the downsides would be. Please do not make any decisions based on my postings and consult your doctor with any questions. Thanks.

--------------------

Judie
Member # 38323

The abstract in the original posting appears to be from a publication called: Farida Islahudin, et al. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013 August;57(8):3889-3896.

A lot of these drugs are used for several things, not just as antibiotics and anti-malarials.

Levaquin and Chloroquine are chemotherapy drugs (they destroy the DNA of the infection and the DNA of the host).

I'd rather deal with yeast in other ways than take another chemotherapy drug.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement