LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » if someone gets sick from a flu shot are they contagious?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: if someone gets sick from a flu shot are they contagious?
gigimac
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you receive the flu shot and get sick in response, does this make you contagious to others?
Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the flu shot is the live vaccine, then yes, you could be contagious.

If the shot is not live, then getting sick from it is likely a detox reaction, coincidence, or opportunistic infection caused by the momentary immune suppression from the vaccination (vaccines may contain mercury, aluminum, and/or other toxins).

If it's a detox reaction, then you're not likely contagious.

If it's an opportunistic infection, then yes you could be.

Bottom line, too many variables, therefore it is safer to assume you are contagious...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Adding to Razzle's excellent post above.

And, whether yourself or another with any kind of symptoms . . . regardless of the cause / trigger which may never be fully known due to the many variables . . .

other than avoiding others, it's also a signal from your body that you need to rest and really take care.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually my husband is supposed to get a flu shot tomorrow for a new contract at a hospital.

I was wondering if I should be concerned about him giving me and my son the flu?

I believe he is getting the shot vaccine not the inhalation vaccine.

Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenotlite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My nephew got a flu shot and shortly thereafter got the flu which he passed on to my sister who never got a shot.
Posts: 705 | From WA state | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One capful of homeopathic Oscillococcinum taken sublingually once a week throughout flu season as prevention seems to have served my family fairly well for the past 30+ years...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Member # 33353

His employer is forcing him to get the flu shot and he is already feeling unwell and stressed. I am very unhappy about it cause we all have a virus of some kind right now and the last thing we need is the flu but it's that or no job.

thanks for that tip Razzle, I will check that out for sure.

Razzle
Member # 30398

Elderberry and L-Lysine (500-1000mg 20-30 min. before meals & at bedtime) can help with treating & preventing viral infections also.

--------------------
-Razzle

gigimac
Member # 33353

so he got the shot at 6 pm today, will he only be contagious if he gets sick? or could he be contagious right away?

Sorry if it seems like i am freaking out, i am just so tired of being sick

Razzle
Member # 30398

I don't know, but I think it would be safer to assume contagious right away. Sorry [Frown]

--------------------
-Razzle

Maia_Azure
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maia_Azure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't get the flu shot this year. Now I'm really regretting it. I've been down for the count with a flu-like illness. Fever has broke, now left with dry raspy cough. Just when I was finally starting to feel better.

--------------------
Sick since 2000
Bulls eye 2005
Dx Babesia, Lyme 2014

Posts: 247 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thewino
Member # 39086

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thewino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigimac,

It is a myth that one catch the flu from receiving a flu shot. The shots are not live vaccines so it simply isn't possible to catch the flu from one of these shots.

Please remember, the CDC gives their best supposition on which flu strains should be covered in each years flu shot. So, one could easily receive a flu shot AND pick up a different strain of the flu, not covered by the flu shot, within days of the shot but not from the shot itself.

On the other hand, the nasal vaccines, FluMist comes to mind, mostly given to children, are live influenza vaccines and each person receiving this vaccine is contagious or holds the possibility of passing along the flu to others after receiving the dose.

I am immunocompromised from a chronic inflammatory disease and the anti-biologic medications, DMARDS, and steroids taken for this disease. My Rheumatologist will not prescribe my anti-biologics unless I keep up to date with my PneumoVax, Influenza, and T-Dap shots.

And, believe me, he would never risk my health with a flu vaccine that is contagious!

Be well,
TheWino

--------------------
Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been --J. Buffett

All of my replies should not be taken as medical advice as they are my opinions only and I am not a physician.

Posts: 55 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Member # 33353

Update:

My husband got sick with the flu a week after the shot and then gave it to me. We had a real fun week on the couch and I am still coughing up phlegm.

Perhaps it was not from the shot but I feel it could have been.

Also, this years flu shot is not covering the strains going around for the most part so, Yay

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally don't think it's a good idea to get a flu shot. Just today there was a news report that a young woman in WI died from a flu shot she was required to get from her work. She was a respiratory therapist. Will be interesting to see if anyone wants to sue for this.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Member # 33353

yes, Robin I desperately wanted my husband to get out of the flu shot but it was that or no job.

I won't be getting one, ever.

It is very sad about the woman from WI. Yes, it will be interesting to see if anyone sues. I think the shot should be a personal decision, not forced!

Thewino
Member # 39086

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thewino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigimac,

Again, you absolutely cannot get the flu if inoculated with the flu shot. You state that becoming sick "perhaps" was from the flu shot. This just isn't possible.

There is no live virus in the flu shot.

As I stated in an earlier post in this thread, it is really a guessing game as to which strains of the flu to include in each year the flu shot is made. Production must begin before the flu season starts.

The CDC reported last week that this years flu shot is only 28% effective. So, they picked the wrong strain to inoculate people against this year and a lot of people are getting the flu for this reason.

I haven't heard about the woman in Wisconsin that you are referencing but for every single element that we put into our bodies; food, drinks, medications, odors, etc..., someone out there is allergic to it. Some allergic reactions are mild and some are catastrophic.

I hope you feel better soonest.

TheWino

--------------------

All of my replies should not be taken as medical advice as they are my opinions only and I am not a physician.

Posts: 55 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's possible to get sick from a flu shot, though not the way anyone has stated.

When you get ANY vaccine, your immune system focuses on the vaccine and ignores other infections.

You then become vulnerable to whatever the vaccine doesn't cover.

I asked my Lyme doc about it and the above is what I was told.

This is why I decided NOT to get the flu shot. I wanted my immune system to focus on Lyme, not the possible other stuff I may or may not get.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thewino
Member # 39086

Judie,

This is flawed logic because if you end up with the flu, tetanus, diphtheria, smallpox, polio, etc... that you could have been vaccinated against, your immune system is going to be focusing on the newly acquired illness that you could have been innoculated against.

If everyone thought this way, polio would still be devastating to our population instead of this being eradicated in the U.S. because of the vaccine.

I am not on a flu shot crusade. I simply don't like incorrect information being passed around.

By the way, your immune system is able to deal with more than one threat at a time. For this reason, your body has different types of white blood cells to deal with multiple threats: eosinophils, neutrophils, basophils, B cells, T cells, etc...

I find it dangerous to pass along misinformation. If one makes a decision to not get the flu shot, acquires the virus for this reason, they may get miserably sick but they are also putting at risk the elderly, the very youngest amongst us, and the immunocompromised.

I am all for free will. And the more information one has, then a more informed decision can be made.

Good health to all,
TheWino

--------------------

SacredHeart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacredHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife works at a school that was laid to waste by the flu this year. The school nurse took a survey and half of those that were vaccinated were also positive for the flu. I'm not saying the shot causes the flu, but I am saying that most of the time the vaccine is worthless. They take the strain of virus from halfway across the globe before it hits here, and hope they get it right. One would be better off washing their hands, staying hydrated, keeping your hands away from your face, and taking some natural anti-virals. This is what my wife did, and she did not become ill. On the other hand, half of here team of six teachers did.

--------------------
Lyme flare June, July, August of 2013. Diagnosed September 2014 Lyme, Bartonella, Mycoplasma, Mono

Posts: 595 | From Texas Crossroads | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thewino - I think you misinterpreted what I said. Let me clarify.

If you're body is already immune compromised by Lyme and all these other co-infections, the immune system is already working overtime with what you already have to keep that under wraps.

If the immune system goes on to make antibodies for the flu vaccine, it can't focus on Lyme and coinfections (like recurring viruses like epstein barre) so those can rage out of control.

I want my body to focus on Lyme, not something else like a flu vaccine which doesn't cover anything I may or may not get anyway.

The best way to not get the flu, is to limit contact with sick people, wash your hands, stay warm, etc....

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/body/scientists-finally-prove-cold-weather-makes-sick/

I'm not referring to healthy children getting polio vaccines, I'm referring specifically to our Lyme-ridden community.

For other reading, there's this thread:

Vaccine triggering latent infections
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/129753?#000000

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Another Epic Fail for Influenza Vaccine
(Mercola article, January 20, 2015)

http://tinyurl.com/lr6w79x

Highlights:

"In the past three flu seasons, the CDC rated the flu vaccine’s overall effectiveness between 47 and 62 percent; some experts have measured it at 0 to 7 percent

When children get a flu shot every year, it can interfere with healthy immune responses and make them more likely to get influenza in certain flu seasons

If you got a flu shot this year, it does not protect you from the most common influenza A subtype making people sick"

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement