LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » mitochondrial disease from Lyme??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: mitochondrial disease from Lyme??
jlcd1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlcd1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my friend's sister in law was just diagnosed with this they say caused by her Lyme disease. She's asking me if she is going to die from this and i don't know what to tell her.

What do i say to her. I sent her the #'s of some good doctors around us but what else can i say?

Posts: 908 | From Albany | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Yes, borrelia b. can cause mitochondria disease / dysfunction / damage.

However, there can be other factors, as well. Acetaminophin can contribute, as can other things.

Some kinds of mitochondria issues can be genetic yet so many are influenced by disease, or what we might consume with certain chemicals (in foods, some Rx) and lack of proper nutrition such as lots and lots of leafy green vegetables.

As is a SIL, I'm assuming she's an adult and can handle the complexities of this answer.

Will she die of mitochondrial disease? Well, that's hard to know. there are about a million variables.

Will she die of lyme? Same considerations with variables.

Likely, no.

But, to be very honest and this is something that everyone really needs to keep in mind: someone with lyme does very often feel as if they could die. It's a terrible disease that can be terrifying. But, when we know that this is just part of the deal and that most really do make it, that does help us with courage & patience.

Support methods can also really help ease the most intense symptoms. Ultimately, addressing lyme and whatever other infections are on board is the key.

Once identified, an action plan can be arranged -- treatment for both lyme and for the mitochondrial issues can turn things around.

She could recover very nicely but it will take time and a full comprehensive approach.

But I'm assuming she will have an excellent LLMD &/or LL ND to guide her and access to treatment options, nutritional supplements and good food.

The truth is that very few of us have access to LL doctors, support methods or even nutritious food. We just have to do the best we can and prioritize like a pro & be as creative as possible.

I hope she has access to the brightest doctors and the best treatment options / support.
-

[ 12-26-2014, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlcd1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlcd1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks keebler
Posts: 908 | From Albany | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
FIRST item of business: assess all Rx, etc. for what might be contributing to damage.

SECOND: while we do that and figure out all the other things, we can have kale or chard for dinner. Leafy greens with all meals, even breakfast. It matters.

http://psychrights.org/research/Digest/NLPs/DrugsCauseMitochondrialDamage.PDF

Medication-induced mitochondrial damage & disease

John Neustadt and Steve R. Pieczenik

Montana Integrative Medicine, Bozeman, MT

2008 - Nine Pages

1 Introduction

Mitochondria are the powerhouses of our cells. . . .

2 Mitochondria structure and function

3 Mechanisms of mitochondria-induced injury

4 Medication-induced mitochondrial damage

[Table five] Medications documented to induce mitochondrial damage

5 Conclusions

References - 97 citations
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Carol in PA posted this a while back:

That article has a link to an article about repairing mitochondrial function with NT Factor. This helps fatigue.

http://www.prohealth.com/library/showArticle.cfm?libid=15150

Repair Damaged Mitochondria and Reduce Fatigue Up to 45%

- by Karen Lee Richards, August 6, 2010
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
It must be noted that the author below also incorporated an antibiotic that may have also had action against lyme or other possible infection-connections.

No one can say if, in her case, there was infection connection yet there very often is with MS and lyme is very often the cause (or other chronic stealth infection like Cpn, etc.)

It's not addressed in the book or lecture. The focus is on nutrition and its healing elements, its absolute importance.

As our "audience" is comprised of those dealing with lyme, keep in mind that when we learn all the other things that can help us . . .

Nutrition, alone, will not cure lyme. However, if excellent nutrition is not on board, remission, recovery from lyme is nearly impossible.

This is all about the nutrient aspect which is so vital:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc&feature=share

VIDEO, 17 minutes. TED Talk in Iowa City - Terry L. Wahls, M.D

http://www.amazon.com/Minding-Mitochondria-2nd-progressive-wheelchair/dp/0982175086/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322805441&sr=8-1

Minding My Mitochondria 2nd Edition: How I overcame secondary progressive multiple sclerosis (MS) and got out of my wheelchair.

Terry L. Wahls, M.D. $38.00 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Publication Date: April 1, 2010

You can look inside this book and read 23 reader reviews, each 5 stars.

Author’s web BLOG for 2008-2010:

http://terrywahls.blogspot.com/

http://www.terrywahls.com/

Terry Wahls, M.D. official website
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
For basic support while other more specific actions are considered:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.
-

Phoiph
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is definitely hope for mitochondrial issues.

Here is a great article describing different types of mitochondrial conditions/causes, and case studies showing remarkable results:

Positive Effects of Hyperbaric Oxygenation in Certain Mitochondiral Cytopathies:

http://www.hbot.com/blog/edward-lucarini/hyperbaric-oxygen-treatment-mitrochondrial-cytopathies

Posts: 1884 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlcd1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18138

Thanks everyone

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement