LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can just changing your diet make you herx

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can just changing your diet make you herx
Maya12
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 36392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maya12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have recently just cut out all starch, gleutan, sugar and most dairy.

Can this alone make you herx?

Posts: 1632 | From Canada | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonatina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonatina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maya,
You might want to do a little reading on what a herxheimer reaction means. Here's a link to an LLMDs web site where it is explained (see below).

http://www.jemsekspecialty.com/lyme_detail.php?sid=10

A true herx is typically a pronounced exacerbation of symptoms that occurs after the administration of antibiotics begins for a spirochetal infection, and it usually lasts 2-3 days. It cannot be caused by food or changes in your diet. "Herx" is not a synonym for "feel worse".

If you are feeling worse, you should keep notes on the details of what you're experiencing and discuss what's going on with your doctor. There are other reasons why someone might feel worse, ranging from adverse effects of medications to allergic/immunologic reactions to secondary infections & other medical conditions.

I hope you feel better soon.

S.

--------------------
Please consult your physician before making any changes to your diet, medications, or supplements. I am not a healthcare professional and nothing I write should be construed as medical advice.

Posts: 166 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya12
Member # 36392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maya12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I have been tested extensively and not other conditions found.

I had also been taking ozone treatments, ceftin and probiotics

Posts: 1632 | From Canada | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ceftin is an excellent and powerful antibiotic. That in itself may cause the herxing. Keep with the meds.
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya12
Member # 36392

I have also been taking liver detoxifiers
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps you are having a yeast die off if you have cleaned up your diet in regards to sugar and carbs. It has happened to me...
Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya12
Member # 36392

Really desert, so just changing your diet threw you into a herx?
And yes I have cleaned it up quite a bit

gz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I was thinking. It seems like yeast die off can be as miserable as herxing if done too quickly. When my spouse had bad initial die off reactions with yeast, chelated molybdenum helped much.

Maya, if you made any number of sudden changes at the same time, meds, treatment, diet, etc, it can be hard to know what is doing what until some of the symptoms abate. Everything might be contributing something to how bad you are feeling.

I hope it's not so bad that you are able to ride everything out and feel much better when you body gets all the initial die off cleared.

Posts: 474 | From US | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
triathlongal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathlongal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Maya12:
Really desert, so just changing your diet threw you into a herx?
And yes I have cleaned it up quite a bit

Same thing happened to me. Diet alone stopped feeding yeast and I had die off.
Posts: 151 | From North East | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya12
Member # 36392

This is very interesting. What sx did you guys have?
Maya12
Member # 36392

And how long did it last. I feel like death today
Maya12
Member # 36392

Felt crappy yesterday too and went to the hospital and all blood work was normal
Maya12
Member # 36392

How sick can the yeast die off make you feel?
Maya12
Member # 36392

Anyone?
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me it can be as bad as a TBI herx. I find that a yeast herx can feel like a Babesia herx or parasite die off.

I feel very gooey sick sort of flu like. Headaches, head pressure, ear ringing, light sensitivity, twitching, numbness, major night sweats and some day time sweats along with chills, some joint pain and skin sensitivity. Fatigue and muscle weakness. Some dr/dp as well. Increase in floaters and flashing lights in my vision...and your typical gastro stuff. I'm probably missing a few sx but these are the more typical ones I get.

I am back on Diflucan and other hard core herbs for yeast and after being off of abx. for close to 6 months I am still struggling with it. Sometimes I cannot tell the difference between a yeast issue and TBI's. Thinking of going back on abx.'s soon so trying to clean up the yeast.

What sort of binders are you taking?

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Can last for weeks at a time and I typically have to pull back a bit to allow my body to catch up with the die off.

Today for yeast I took;
Diflucan
GSE
Oil or Oragano
Olive Leaf Extract and
BW A-FNG

Doing a lot of binders as well and the IR Sauna which caused massive skin rash that looked Bart like. Only eating clean/raw food for the week.....Feeling pretty gross right now.

Maya12
Member # 36392

Hey desert does this cause you anxiety as well and do your Bp or heart rate go up?

I am not on any binders right now

Maya12
Member # 36392

Do you also get weak and have body pain desert?
desertwind
Member # 25256

Not so much anxiety but getting adrenaline surges followed by sweats - like any little stimuli sets it off. My bp is low as well as my hr.

I do get mostly upper body weakness in my arms and Babesia type body pain - that also follows the adrenaline surge.

Again, I have had these sx w/ Lyme and co. so not sure what I am really dealing with but certainly get it with yeast as well. I am also dealing with another med related issue that could be causing this so makes everything confusing.

Can you tolerate Chlorella or Brown Seaweed Extract? How about BW Detox? Glut?

Maya12
Member # 36392

Can you actually detox too fast and feel very sick from it

And no I never test well for chlorella

desertwind
Member # 25256

quote:
Can you actually detox too fast and feel very sick from it

And no I never test well for chlorella

I think so.....How well do you detox? How do you do with plain ol lemon water?
Maya12
Member # 36392

I feel way worse when I drink lemon water.
Maya12
Member # 36392

Thanks so much desert.
Can anyone else tell me their years herx sx?

desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 6 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thanks so much desert.
Can anyone else tell me their years herx sx?

Your welcome....

Wish I could help you more but not sure what else I can share. Sounds like you are super sensitive right now and hope that you are not overloading your system.

Maya12
Member # 36392

I do seem to be super sensitive right now and think I will back off everything for a bit. Even lemon water
Maya12
Member # 36392

Thanks for your help desert
Maya12
Member # 36392

Wow I am really getting the gi sx now.

Also have a rash on my chest, this must be a herx

Maya12
Member # 36392

I had forgotten how hard this was

Anyone else want to tell me their yeast die off sx?
Lymetoo where are you?

Sonatina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonatina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maya,
Re. your experience with lemon juice, do you think you might be having negative reactions to acidic foods? Lemon juice is HIGHLY acidic (pH of 2, which is roughly the same as stomach acid).

Acidic foods/liquids bother many people. I'm not sure why. It could be that if there is irritated or inflammed tissue internally, the acid makes that worse and causes the immune system to respond. --much like if you poured lemon juice on a skinned knee.

Another possibility has to do with how the acid might be affecting the flora in the GI tract.

Anyway, it's something you could track for a bit and see whether there's a pattern. If so, avoiding acidic foods might give you at least some relief I would think/hope.

I don't know whether you are a coffee drinker. Some coffees can be quite acidic too, but not all -- depends on how it's brewed.

There's one called Chameleon that's lower in acid. They sell it at Whole Foods & other venues. (It's a liquid concentrate). It's also possible to add a spoonful of liquid chlorophyll into coffee, which seems to reduce its acidity as well.
(but check with your doctor first re. coffee & chlorophyll)

Hope you feel better.

S.

--------------------
Please consult your physician before making any changes to your diet, medications, or supplements. I am not a healthcare professional and nothing I write should be construed as medical advice.

Posts: 166 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonatina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45056

Re. rash: that can sometimes indicate an allergic reaction, so be careful with that and let your doctor know.

--------------------

Maya12
Member # 36392

Can a candida die off make you feel really messed in the head and confused and almost delerious?
Maya12
Member # 36392

Anyone else want to weigh in on sx of a yeast herx?
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well I have been tested extensively and not other conditions found.

Maya, read above that you have been tested extensively. If you mean by blood tests, you know that blood tests very often don't pick everything up, right?

I've never met anyone who just got lyme. Usually at least babs, and bart come with it. Don't rely on blood tests. I have many co infections and it took a few years for my docs to discover them.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
geronimog
Member # 34875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geronimog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I eat any carbs I'll herx within a day or so without any antimicrobials. It's as if there are lines drawn by my immune system vs borrelia: I can reclaim some of my territory with antimicrobials, but they gain ground with carb/sugar intake.

Reducing carb can decrease inflammation, this can enable the immune system to go deeper after the bugs... change the battle lines.

Posts: 65 | From Montreal | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Candida herxes for me: fatigue, confusion, heart beat irregularity, anxiety, insomnia, high blood pressure, extreme brain fog, GI gets blocked, liver pain, back pain (on the kidney), pains in joints, feeling extremely cold.

Two things help me fast out of that: chlorella or MSM. Omega 3 also help a bit.

I've been recently only fighting candida, and only trying different diets and supplements (KPU). Clearly, apple vinegar does kill.

Clearly eliminating all carbs and sugars in ONE DAY kills candida for sure. I suppose if you keep longer on a total carb - sugar free diet, you will see a massive die off. I already see symptoms disappearing from OME day to another.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya12
Member # 36392

Hey Brussels. Thanks for telling me this. I am also treating yeast on top of the ozone. I am actually using sanum homeopathics for the yeast. I take that daily.

Sounds like I am having a babs and yeast herx

Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ozone does both killing and cleaning.

Great you are using Sanum. What product are you on? I used the Candida parapsilosis for very long, then the Mucor racemosus, Mucor mucedo....

the time I was treating babesia, was my worst time ever. Never ever had I suffered so much from treating a pathogen. I felt like dying, wondering if I'd rather die from treatment or just let myself without treatment and die from infection......

After getting right binders, my life got better. But babesia treatment is hard, you can read here in lymenet, it's very known that people feel awful on babesia killers.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya12
Member # 36392

Hey Brussels, thanks so much for your post. I really hate babs.

And actually I am using the candida parapsilosis and the pleo Sanuvis and a few others I can't remember right now.

Maya12
Member # 36392

It is at least comforting to know that others have also had a lot of trouble treating babs.
Maya12
Member # 36392

Hey Brussels did you have spells where you felt like you were going to die and had heart palps, weakness, sob and head pressure.

I feel normal unless I have these spells and I have them on and off thru the day

Brussels
Member # 13480

Hi Maya, I remember my head felt like exploding during babs treatment once. And the awful sweats, horrible, my whole bed looked like I poured at least a bucket on it.

Heart palps, I had it on and off, with or without babs treatment. Weakness was EXTREME during babs. I caught myself crying once and asked myself: why am I doing that, if I am not even sad?

Very strange behaviour... I think it had to do with personality change, like I was 'taken' by something else. Almost delusional.

After riamet, I changed from going to hell to feeling alive again. In 3 days, the change was profound. That is how I realized most of these crazy symptoms (mental, emotional, fog, sweats) were probably babesia.

My babesia got better after riamet, but it came back again after 2 weeks.

I think these 'spells' as you call, are either flaring, or herxes, or anything related to the reproduction cycle of some pathogens. Once I figured out how to clean my herxes (testing energetically any cleaning substance that I had in my hands), my life got much better.

But still, I always hated babesia. I got rid of it with many herbs, only to get bitten again and get it back some time later. I did again the same treatment, and of course, it didn't work!

So I had to keep trying, until it got dormant again.

Just hang on. Have you ever tried MSM (pure sulphur)? It helped me tons during babesia treatment.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement