LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Best mattress options for pain??!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best mattress options for pain??!
kmarie31
Member # 43700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmarie31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone,

Wondering if you have found a good brand or type of mattress you can recommend? Ideally the mattress would be non-toxic or organic. Unfortunately my budget is pretty small, looking to spend under $800 if possible.

I'm in a new non-toxic learning phase. It's pretty freaky how many toxins are in EVERYTHING we use on a daily basis, even our living environments.

One mattress I am considering is a DIY buckwheat hull mattress. There are some reviews of people's back pain going away with the use of these as they are firm and the hulls adjust with your body. In negative review of these, I've heard of a person with fibro not liking the mattress because it was too firm.

In general, what is suggested for people with chronic pain as far as firmness goes? I mostly deal with joint pain, especially in the knees, feet, hands, hips and back/neck.

Thanks in advance

--------------------
:: Chronic Lyme Disease >7 years ::
:: Co-infections: Babesia, Ehrlichia, Rickettsia, Bartonella (?) ::

Posts: 17 | From Wisconsin | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cottonbrain
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cottonbrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a natural latex topper, three inches. I LOVE it!

Before this I tried memory foam, goosedown, and microfiber toppers -- none of them relieved my pain.

I have had the topper about 10 months and it is beginning to get wear impressions -- though it is still really comfy. I am guesing that it will be good at least another year.

price was about 300 bucks -- pricey but worth it when nothing else helped.

Posts: 1173 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kmarie .. Be sure to google that one. I've researched the buckwheat pillows and found a few reviews that curled my hair!

So .. buyer beware.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
buckwheat hull mattress - a few considerations that pop to mind:

VERY LOUD. I could not handle even the buckwheat hull pillows. Every time I turned or even readjusted my head at all, it was worse that being in a huge bowl of snap cracklin' rice crispies (if you have seen those commercials from decades back).

I still used one for a while and the hulls would stick through like needles.

LUNGS, nose, eyes - DUST

Also dusty if you gather this all up yourself to encase. A challenge for lungs, for sure.

It could be years before all the dust could be collected from room it's made in.

It could be very hard to contain the dust, too. Dust keep seeping out of my pillow.

If you get very tight, tough fabric it's going to hard to find fabric that is not coated with some kind of chemical such as fire retardant or smoother (a telfon). Most fabrics in typical fabric shops have all this and more. Sigh.

and . . . I'd bet chemicals are involved somehow. However, if this is the right site below, they do say it's certified organic. I applaud their thinking out of the box. Not sure how long the fabric would hold up. Cotton tends to fray after so long and the hulls can push through.

Good luck whatever you decide.

http://openyoureyesbedding.com/

?
-

[ 02-04-2015, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I wonder you might be able to gather some old cotton quilts and layer those somehow? Alone, they may not be helpful for pain but I can't find my way to the next step just yet.

There are some organic mattress makers, just usually out of the price range of many (even if the price is reasonable in light of materials and labor).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Six Goofy Kids has posted of a good mattress she likes.

If you consider latex, be certain you are free of allergies in that dept. And survey any relatives or friends who may be visiting at any time in the future.

I see that you are expecting a baby in a couple months. I'm not sure about latex in that case.

Any way you could get some massage right now? Wish we had some home massage brigades to just come around and make sure you are comfy.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Some good leads here, perhaps:

http://parents.berkeley.edu/recommend/where2buy/mattress_chem.html

Berkeley Parents Network - chat board

Chemical-free & Organic Mattresses
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Not sure where you are in Wisc. but you might seek out the naturopathic doctors in your state. recall reading about a very good in Milwaukee, over by UWM. (I used to live there a long time ago, miss it).

The NDs or acupuncturists there should have some good suggestions, and maybe someone close to you. Start with names near you and just ask office managers if they have any suggestions.

http://www.wisconsin-nd.org/

Wisconsin Naturopathic Doctors Association

http://acupuncturewisconsin.org/

Wisconsin Society of Certified Acupuncturists

Quilters groups of various kinds may also be of some kind of assistance, especially education about how long you can expect cotton fabric to hold up under what kind of wear.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
My guess is that members of this group have also encountered such a search for non-toxic & comfortable mattresses and would likely be very willing to offer suggestions.

On another note, Maybe there is some way you could get the service of a Doula ?

http://wisconsinguildofmidwives.org/

Wisconsin Guild of Midwives

http://wisconsinguildofmidwives.org/resources/doulas/

Doulas

http://apps.dona.org/Directory/Search

Find a Doula -- there are many in Wisconsin
-

Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this isn't a natural choice. But my tempur pedic really lessened my pain. The off-gassing period was really gross. Very odorific... But now it is the best.
Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a stearns and foster european pillow top. it's very thick and I have buy extra deep pocket sheets which is a pain but the mattress is great.

I got some bamboo. type pillows but I ended up putting a serta pillow on topof it. it was just too hard.

tried temperpedic and hated it. I understand you either love them or hate them.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopingandpraying
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some natural bedding links:

This one seems to be the cheapest and within your price range. They are located in IL.

http://www.mygreenmattress.com/pure-echo-organic-mattress.html

These companies listed below are more expensive:

www.lifekind.com
www.GoodnightNaturals.com/natural-mattresses.html

www.thenaturalsleepstore.com

Note: I am in no way associated with any of these businesses. Just trying to help as always!

Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my research, wool mattresses are likely the best bedding option. To put it succinctly, they provide great support, in excess of memory foam like tempur-pedic, but have many additional benefits. For instance, memory foam holds heat and doesn't breathe, but wool does! Likewise, those worried about allergies, exposure to chemicals that outgas, flame retardants etc... proper wool bedding has none of these!

I would check out www.surroundewe.com - I'm strongly considering getting my next mattress from them and I already have one of their pillows - the most comfortable pillow I've ever owned!

They use all Organic materials, including natural wool for the filling and organic cotton and/or bamboo for the coverings. They also sell other bedding supplies, such as organic cotton sheet sets, wool comforters and more. Price wise they certainly aren't cheap, but compared to Tempur-Pedia, SleepNumber and other premium bedding they come in at, or below the average price of these options.

I am actually looking into procuring my bedding as a "durable medical device", in the hopes I can get insurance to cover a good portion of it - you should look into doing the same, regardless of what sort of bedding you seek. First of all should be the easy part - once you find what you want, you'll need a letter from your physician (best, a LLMD) prescribing that particular item for you. However, the next part is difficult for most insurance plans: finding a medical device store that will special order the bedding for you. Sadly, most all of the sites listed here don't take insurance, so the won't be "in network". . Thus, best I can tell you will need to find a medical equipment retailer who takes your insurance, willing to buy it via special order. This has been my current roadblock - if anyone has done something of this sort, please let me know.

I have however been batting around another idea to help save money - a volume purchase. For instance, if several of us on the forum were serious about buying products from SurroundEwe / The Wool Bedding Company, perhaps we could get a volume discount. This may also be combined with purchasing through a medical device supplier for even better savings, if possible.

In any event, healthful bedding is a worthwhile investment but be wary of companies that jack up the prices for mediocre items simply because they know they are in a niche market. Hope this helps a bit!

Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we have a natural latex mattress. love love it. and it is chemical free, bug and fire natural retardant, and helped my husnabds snoring too.

worth every penny spent.

__

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peimomma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We went with bed in a box

http://www.bedinabox.com

It's memory foam, made in the USA and not to badly priced.

Posts: 233 | From AZ | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmarie31
Member # 43700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmarie31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone,

Late update here: We ended up going with this mattress: http://www.mygreenmattress.com/pure-echo-organic-mattress.html due to budget. Thanks @hopingandpraying for the suggestion! It's working out just fine. It's much thinner than I was used to as we had a pillow top prior to the switch. The firmness took a little bit to get used to, but in the end I don't mind it.

The best thing is knowing it's safe as it's organic. Hopefully it lasts a good amount of time.

Thanks for all your help!

--------------------
:: Chronic Lyme Disease >7 years ::
:: Co-infections: Babesia, Ehrlichia, Rickettsia, Bartonella (?) ::

Posts: 17 | From Wisconsin | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement