LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Could magnesium make me shocking?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Could magnesium make me shocking?
Kudzuslipper
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31915

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another odd question. I have been taking ReMag since September or October. I have been feeling great. But I have noticed that I am creating more shocks when I touch things and people than I have ever noticed before. I only have two skirts I can wear that don't stick with static. I know that this never happened before.

Yesterday I did colonoscopy prep with abundant amounts of mag citrate... Last night when I came down to do my last bottle... I went to turn up the heat, the shock was so shocking it blew out our thermostat... Luckily just the display the heat was still on...

So question... Can taking magnesium make you create more static electricity? Anyone else experience this?

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow...that sounds crazy. I want to see the answer to your question

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's weird. Is it especially dry where you are? I haven't had any trouble myself.

Hope you figure it out!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theresa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Theresa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't believe your question . I am taking magnesium. Started about three weeks ago. I get shocks when I touch things also. I never related it to the magnesium. I can't remember if it started with the magnesium. Also in the last three or four months I shattered three glasses just by touching them. My alternative thinks the house is on a magnetic field. Theresa
Posts: 479 | From nj | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Kudzuslipper,

First, consider the humidity in the room. If it's very low due to dryness from heat during winter, those kinds of shocks will happen often.

What you describe was just part of winter for everyone in my family where I lived growing up.

We learned to block the shock before touching metal.

Also consider what you might be wearing. You probably don't wear any petroleum products (since most with lyme have gone to cotton / wool) but do consider that as wearing synthetic fibers will cause more static shocks, too.

You mention that you have only two skirts that don't "spark" so my guess is those that do are not all cotton or wool. Try air drying those that are synthetic. That can help.

Avoid dryer sheets, though, (usually stop static in the dryer) as they are toxic off-gassers (even the scent free ones) and also gum up the air exhaust vents on dryers, adding to fire risk.

Back in S. Illinois where we had very dry heat we actually had spray cans of something that we sprayed on our clothes . . . while wearing them! Never gave that much thought then but now just recalled that and am rather horrified.

Footwear, too. If you are wearing socks and pad across the floor, that just builds up static.

Carpeting also contributes, especially if new. It's usually petroleum so it can fuel the static nature when there is friction form someone in socks.

Try raising HUMIDITY in your home if it's too low.
-

[ 02-04-2015, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Theresa,

Interesting. the earth's magnetic fields could be at play, perhaps contact someone in the natural sciences at your closet college and inquire.

Also consider the quality of the glass. I've shattered some that were not really of good quality.

From Cost Plus World Market, some pretty green glasses were too thin in places and too thick in others. Oddly, it was the irregular appearance, rustic look that I found attractive.

When the glass is irregular, it's just an accident waiting to happen.

For me, it was more just like pouring something iced cold in one, instant shatter. Another blew up just tapping it against a vinyl covered part of the dish rash.

Yet another from a mere tap in the sink, kaboom!.

I just threw out the fourth one.

I've not heard of static doing this but I can see how that could happen. So, if you have more from that glass set, check for irregular thickness. Or if it's very thin at the top but the gradation is not properly engineered from thick to thin.

Good for World Market / Cost Plus. I just checked their website and they no longer carry that style of glass. I had contacted them of the dangers. Maybe they listened.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just thinking magnesium is a metal... Right?

I do understand dryness... Cold is a factor, but this has been unusual...

Ha ha tutu... It's both wet and dry 4ft of snow!

But the shocks feel like they started so much earlier this year...

Anyways, not gonna stop the mag as most of my muscle pain is gone... Just curious.

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kudzuslipper:

Anyways, not gonna stop the mag as most of my muscle pain is gone... Just curious.

-

That's awesome!

I would think it would be VERY dry inside your place right about now!

Hope you thaw out soon! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Doesn't matter what's going on outside. I live in the Pacific NW where winter is usually 100% water in the air (but not this year) with all rain. The driest time indoors then. I have to "water" my guitar, so to speak, so it won't crack.

You might try keeping your hands moisturized. I just loaded on too much of a very nice cream - no petroleum but natural oils and just thought that could be one thing to stop the shocks from hands -- like what a petroleum dryer sheet would do to synthetic fabrics in a way.

I would think you'd have to be overloaded with magnesium for it to affect with shocks. It seems if you are following dosing suggestions, you'd not be too high. Surely, your body would give you other clues first?

Some folks with seizures need up to 2,000 magnesium a day - but divided in 3 -4 doses, never all at once. My guess in you are not getting nearly that? Still, good to check the dose & frequency and any signs for overload, I guess.
-

SacredHeart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacredHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You sound like a regular Van De Graaff generator... They can blow out electronic equipment, pace makers, phones, ect..

I doubt it has anything to do with the Mg. Static shocks blow out thermostats quite often now since we have moved to digital. It isn't cost effective for them to build in protection against that.

--------------------
Lyme flare June, July, August of 2013. Diagnosed September 2014 Lyme, Bartonella, Mycoplasma, Mono

Posts: 595 | From Texas Crossroads | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kudzuslipper, you are always shocking! [Big Grin]

It could definitely be the Mag. I take ReMag, and the Mg is from MgCl, so it should have a neutral charge. But you are adding ions to your body, so your electrical conductivity is higher than previously.

Here's a link about water (sweat) and conductivity. It says seawater can be 100x more conductive than distilled.

http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/En-Ge/Fresh-Water-Physics-and-Chemistry-of.html

Here's an article that talks about managing electrical discharge. One suggestion is raising humidity, so dryness plays a huge role!

Good luck with your new shocking self!

http://www.electricitycentral.com/articles/staticsparks.htm

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
BoxerMom,

Thanks so much for this consideration: IONS !

So would those using sea salt in their diet also tend to be more "shocking"? Hmmm.
-

BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People with Cystic Fibrosis get the electric shocks. The condition causes sodium to build up in the sweat and on the skin. They have electrolyte and electrical charge imbalances. CF is even diagnosed through a sweat test for sodium.

Google Cystic Fibrosis electric shocks or static electricity for more info.

My thinking is that the cold, dry air is the major factor, but the excess ion buildup is contributing. So, yes, sea salt could do the same, but I think lots of the salt would be eliminated through the kidneys. Mg is more likely to be used in ion-gated channels in muscle tissue. But they both come out in sweat.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Merci Beaucoup, Mon'Amie.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I sure am glad I haven't noticed more electric shocks. I hate those!

Maybe it's because our winter has not been very bad thus far.

(not here, anyway)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See what we learn here? Thanks boxer mom. Very curious!
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard those with mold do this too.
Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
For those with metal thermostats, a piece of electrical tape on it might help to insulate against winter shocks. Cover just enough of the metal to be able to adjust it but not so much as to alter the temperature reading.

But, if it's in plain view, this can look rather tacky and other methods of grounding oneself before touching it might be better for the décor.
-

Theresa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Theresa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. The ions! I use a ozone, ion generator . I sometimes sleep with it. I always drink water treated with it. I use it in the kitchen and bathroom as a disinfectant. Interesting, my husband gets shocks, too. Theresa
Posts: 479 | From nj | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I forgot about mold. I used to shock everything. I blew out so many land lines, it was crazy. It could have been mold back then for me. I don't shock people, animals or things nearly as bad as I used to.

I can't take negative ions either. They make me feel horrible (moving metals). I have reduced my heavy metals, so maybe that is why I don't shock everything in my house non stop any more. Our poor cats hated me for a long time (glad that's over).

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a symptom of mold toxicity based on the notes I took at a 2012 Lyme Conference. You can see the notes here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=121800;p=0#000000

You sweat more so you have more salt on your skin, according to the speaker.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

So, if I am consuming more ions with my magnesium... is it a detox issue? can ions hurt me other than making sparks fly?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement