LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » fell in bathtub -- er visit -- bruised ribs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: fell in bathtub -- er visit -- bruised ribs
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done it again. fell in bathtub last night. truly thought I had broken them. the edge of the tub was wet and I grabbed it to get out. my hand slipped out and went forward. i fell forward hitting my ribs under my left breast hard. couldn't breath the pain was so bad.

I tried to sleep but couldn't so off to er. they were concerned about the large bruise on my side going to my back. the spleen is located right there.

had a ct scan and xrays. bruised ribs. no internal damage. hurts like hell tho.

dr said next 72 hours will be the worst. husband will be gone to oklahoma for a week. whew....

how do blunt force injuries affect lyme? will lyme settle in my ribs now?

[ 05-18-2015, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: randibear ]

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have any homeopathic Arnica?
Posts: 764 | From Northwest | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nope. dr jus said take alleve. takes 6-8 weeks to heal but I'm going to hurt for at least 3.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randi, randi, randu, I'm glad you're ok, you need to be more careful! I don't think it will afect your lyme, I hope...

I think it's time for these>>>>>>

-

-

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

no, it's time to give up baths completely. dr said i was very lucky. not willing to chance it again.

what a klutz....

--------------------

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Even if you give up baths, you still have to stand, move in the shower . . . both LL Bean and Lands' End sell water shoes that could be used in the shower. REI might, too (etc.).

I ordered some but had to send them back as they smelled too much like fresh uncured rubber. Just try to get a pair that does not.

With a digestive tract so often on the blink like yours, that NSAID could cause some pain. I'm really surprised that was suggested for YOUR body. Be very careful and take precautions so your gut is protected.

Naproxen sodium, 220 mg. Aleve contains 200 mg of naproxen and 20 mg of sodium (salt).

NSAIDS can cause the stomach, colon to bleed and you've just had so much trouble that I just cannot believe that is even on the table.

ARNICA homeopathic, ointment . . . and Saint Johns Wort capsules can be very helpful to relieve the pain. Magnesium, too.

Maybe others have further suggestion that won't blow up your stomach.

Be mindful about the kidney stress that ibuprofen can cause (as I think you may have had some recent UTI issues, ?) and that might not be the best for you.

And, of course, acetaminophen can really stress the liver.

However, there ARE other really good options that will help the tissue heal as well as help to lessen inflammation.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
one of several styles just from a Google search. I'd bet your local stores' pharmacy sections would carry something like this:

http://www.brucemedical.com/noshsl.html

Non-skid shower / bath slippers
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

i can have husband install those bars. looks easy enough.

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You can install these yourself, anyone can. They are that easy. They really are not "installed", though, they are suction for wall or just screw onto the ledge.

Just be sure the surface is very clean first with nothing too slick on it. I'd read up on the safety of the various brands as to how well they hold. Amazon may be a good place to see customer reviews, comparing. Consumer Reports, too.

Be sure what you get is not counterfeit and the real deal -- just saw the 20/20 report on the millions of counterfeit goods that come to us. Oh, my. Gotta check everything.

The kind that are installed into the wall studs are safer, though and one bolted into the wall near the tub is a good idea, too. Towels bars are never safe, in that manner, though there are some that double up with good bolt anchoring to the stud.
-

steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to add, those two safty handels are just examples.

Like Keebler said, do some research, always a good idea...

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Hey, I'll bet there is someone at Home Depot & Lowe's (or similar stores & locally owned hardware stores) who will know all about the various options. I would imagine they'd have someone on staff with special training about these.

Also remember that you have to be able to reach it. If your muscles tend to freeze up with a fall, consider that when you select the aid to be used.

You might practice some safety moves so that if you take some kind of unexpected action, your body has some kind of muscle memory to "fall back on" so to speak.

For me, if I loose balance, I have no way to move my arms / hands they just freeze (seize). So I've really had to give this some thought. That's why the footwear is also really important.

Maybe a seat in the shower, too?
-

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree with grab bars. I know plenty of seniors who have them installed in the bathroom. Also seat and foot mat. Anything you can think of! Hope you heal soon -
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Randi. Hope you get to feeling better soon.
Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry you are in so much pain. Aleve .. ugh... I'm surprised too. Maybe you could order some curcumin online?

I hope you can get the safety bars installed (or whatever). I have some that are very handy. I proceed with great caution to and from the tub myself. Scary stuff!

[group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

man I'm hurting. I can honestly say this hurts worse than having partof my colon removed.

i need a bath mat or shoes too.

--------------------

Lymieloo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymieloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Praying for your recovery, Randi! o<

--------------------
Bless the Lord, oh my soul. -- Psalm 103

Posts: 102 | From WA | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry, Randi. Have you tried using ice packs for up to 20 minutes at a time?

Hope your pain soon eases,
Sending non-bruising hugs,
Carry

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

yep ice helps. will be switching to heat tomorrow.

had to sleep in guest room sitting up. because of chest size keep tryingto lift ole weights off that area. husband said well good luck with that. very funny...

but I ain't kiddin.....this hurts...at least they weren't broken and no internal damage.

--------------------

ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you feeling any better, Randi? Hope so.
Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

a little but still in much pain...aarrrgghhh

hurts to breath. sleeping sitting up.

husband called. is staying longer in ok so doing plenty of water and rest.

starting to hurt all over. especially left side. bruises startingto appear.

--------------------

ukcarry
Member # 18147

Hope it will soon start to ease up.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement