LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » TMJ/Dental issues

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TMJ/Dental issues
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickalert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've posted before about my struggles with dental and TMJ.

I had a very bad biological dentist cause me two loose teeth due to improperly placing dental bridges.

He also tried to add length to my bottom teeth with bonding material creating my upper teeth to be damaged and scooped out.

The situation I'm in now is my TMJ is worse, I have 5 missing teeth, I tried bone grafting with an incompetent Dr. which ended up not working.

I found a Dentist that I liked 1 year ago.

He thinks in order to stabilize my bite and fix my TMJ that he will need to crown or do veneers on most my upper teeth.

The lower teeth I'm missing our on the bottom.

First of all, I've had so much dental work that I'm not on board with him chopping down healthy teeth.

Secondly, how do I know this will resolve my problem?

I still need to find an outstanding surgeon to try bone grafting again.

I received a quote for him to do the work which will cost $32,500.00.

I absolutely need to get a second opinion.

How would I go about finding a dentist?

Would I maybe need a prosthodntist to do the work?

My LLMD recommended a holistic dentist that I'm not sure about.

Any ideas?

Posts: 911 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in the same boat as you....Already tried every bite plate/TMJ treatment available and nothing has helped. The Neuromuscular Dentist did the most harm. Stabalization plate was not too bad since it did not move my jaw in an awkward position but then the bite adjustment to following caused more problems and caused my teeth to hit in a traumatic way resulting in MORE dental work. You get the picture...

Dental and jaw pain seems to be the only remaining symptom that I cannot get rid of. On a scale of 1-10 can get it down to a 3 or 4 but mostly in the 5-7 range. Other then that I am feeling near 100%.

I have done nothing but take great care of my teeth but have had bad dentistry AND every time I get ANY dental work done I get so sick...I know pre med before any dental procedure as per my LLMD

Had bone grafting after an extraction and my body rejected it... Just yesterday I had to have a crown prep on the molar next to the extraction and of course today I am sick. In all fairness I did find an attached deer tick on me this morning though..

My LLMD recommended a holistic dentist as well but the last one I went to did a "Bite Balancing" and through my entire jaw off. I really like my current dentist and he is sensitive to my lyme issues (probably cuz he had it himself).

Wish I had some advice/answers for you.....The only thing that really helps temporarily is Soma or Valium. Best to you. DW

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know where you are in the U.S. but there is a TMJ/facial pain dentist in Maryland who has done an outstanding job for my friend who has suffered for years.

In the last year or so, she has gone to the ER and been admitted 4 times to the hospital for her unbearable migraine like headaches that come from her TMJ getting so tight.

She is finally getting relief by going to this dentist.

http://www.baltimoretmj.com/

I went to him once and found him very competent. Since he focuses on the TMJ, which was not my facial pain problem, he was not the one to treat me. But, I liked him a lot.

He goes through a rather time-consuming procedure to come up with your treatment plan. And, it takes about 2 weeks to get each appointment because he is very busy. So, it can take months before you get to the treatment stage.

Hopefully, you can get some help quickly. My friend said that the advice he gave her at the second appointment helped her tremendously.

And, if you already have an MRI of your TMJ, that will cut off a lot of time prior to getting the treatment plan also.

Since you are talking about so much money, you should get at LEAST one other opinion. If they are different, then get a third opinion.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickalert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone!

It's hard to make a decision on how to proceed since bad dentistry has left me in this mess.

TF I'm in CO so going to Maryland isn't an option.

Where do these Dentist get off on thinking you can just come up with $32,000.00?

The interesting thing is he's a provider with Delta and will give me no discount what's so ever.

He expects me to pay full price plus, I'm getting a lab fee that is over $12,000 included in the price I was quoted.

How do I even know he wont mess me more?

Every time I've gotten a crown, it's turned into a root canal.

I don't really want that issue.

Posts: 911 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymieloo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymieloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tickalert:

Where do these Dentist get off on thinking you can just come up with $32,000.00?

The interesting thing is he's a provider with Delta and will give me no discount what's so ever.

He expects me to pay full price plus, I'm getting a lab fee that is over $12,000 included in the price I was quoted.

I used to date a guy who's dad lived next door to a local dentist. One day we were at the dad's house when the dentist was over visiting. My boyfriend's dad mentioned to the dentist that he'd gotten a letter from his daughter in another state about dental work she needed done.

Yes I said "letter"; this was 1991! Anyway the daughter, who didn't have much money, had a quote from a dentist for some work, and she'd asked dad to ask his dentist friend if he thought that was a good price or not.

The dentist read the letter and was quite surprised at the low price, then laughed and bragged about how he does the same work all the time, saying, "It's nothing -- takes me about 15 minutes and I charge thousands more than this guy!"

He just couldn't quit laughing and congratulating himself on taking his customers to the cleaners for a simple 15 minute job. The jerk.

--------------------
Bless the Lord, oh my soul. -- Psalm 103

Posts: 102 | From WA | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

tickalert in my opinion I think you should treat parasites. Please see parasite thread. I was diagnosed with TMJ while sick with Lyme and co-infections and also had teeth pain, movement, cavities, worsening of gums. But it all got better as I treated parasites. Look at Dr. C regimen and Dr. K's. I haven't had an issue with TMJ for like 8 months.

Posts: 697 | From CA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, research clove oil and oil of oregano.
Posts: 697 | From CA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

I'm treating parasites right now and have on and off for years.
Littlesprout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Littlesprout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had TMB for over 30 yrs, try numerous TMB splints. The best one for me is the NTI mouth splint
Posts: 315 | From USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO way I'd spend that much money on my teeth. I'd probably have them pulled instead!

My dentist is an expert on TMJ .. can you travel a few states south?

It would cost you less than $1000 for a fix. Worked for me.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The KST technique can fix the jaw temporarily - the tool is called the arthrostim - looks like a hand-held gun, it rat-a-tats at 12 times a second. The practitioner sits behind us and has us open our mouth, close it, jut the jaw forward, then pull it in, and uses the tool gently according to what they find. Instant relief every time.

You can contact the Koren Specific Technique organization and ask if there's any trained practitioners in your area. I think they're usually chiropractors.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

Hey Tutu,

Your inbox is full. The link you sent didn't work.

Can you try sending me a new private message about the Dr?

Yes I can travel if need be, I have lots of frequent flyer miles.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOPS... sorry!! I cleared out a few for ya!

The link works.. you have to cut and paste. Put it into your browser.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

How many treatments did you have?
MrChris
Member # 45778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrChris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you seen a chiropractor and or massage therapist? Both of these were recommended to me and i've had positive results.
Posts: 17 | From Canada | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement