LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Not enough time / contact with LLMD -- what's your experience?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not enough time / contact with LLMD -- what's your experience?
Nula
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering how you guys rate your contact/time spent with your LLMD (especially phone calls/consults).

I truly appreciate my LLMD but feel I never get to discuss everything I need to talk about. In a 30-minute phone consult, we usually spend the first 20 discussing my symptoms (and sometimes blood work) and the last ten are spent on treatment changes.

I feel things are getting more and more complex and difficult and I simply don't have enough time with him.

I talk to him about every 8 weeks. It's hard to get in more phone consults as he's very busy.

What are your experiences? Are you happy with the amount of one-on-one time with your LLMD?

--------------------
I appreciate all your replies. If it takes me a while to respond, it is either because I'm too sick or because I am unable to log in. From European servers, Lymenet is very frequently inaccessible for days at a time ...

Posts: 235 | From Europe | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thirty minutes is more than double the time you get with most doctors.

Have everything ready when your have your consult scheduled so you can go through the symptoms quickly. Waste no time.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SacredHeart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacredHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My llmd spends an hour with his patients. Two hours on the first visit.

--------------------
Lyme flare June, July, August of 2013. Diagnosed September 2014 Lyme, Bartonella, Mycoplasma, Mono

Posts: 595 | From Texas Crossroads | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nula
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thirty minutes is more than double the time you get with most doctors.
But considering that multiple tick-borne illnesses are likely more complex than many other diseases, I don't feel 30 minutes is enough.

Of course, I have everything ready when we talk. Still, I have too many symptoms and too many issues that come with Lyme (hormonal, gut, adrenals etc.) to actually discuss everything in such a short amount of time.

I feel that many of us might still be sick, because there is not enough time to discuss everything that ails us.

Sacred Heart - how long are your phone consults? An hour as well?

--------------------
I appreciate all your replies. If it takes me a while to respond, it is either because I'm too sick or because I am unable to log in. From European servers, Lymenet is very frequently inaccessible for days at a time ...

Posts: 235 | From Europe | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a lot of people consult for up to an hour if needed. I do when I need the time. Do you want to consider finding someone else who's good and has that time?
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first visit was something like 4 hours, they said in advance to expect it to take about that long.

My follow-ups have generally been 45-60 minutes with the doctor, and then there is aoubt 30-45 minutes on a treatment machine that a nurse administers. Some of this time with the doctor is spent with her giving treatment, so it is probably 30-45 minutes discussion time, normally about 30 minutes. Our visit ends when we both have covered all the topics we wanted to discuss, so I am not left with the feeling you are. They are charging based on the time, but seem to be scheduling to have whatever time we need.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SacredHeart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacredHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nula I have only done one by phone. We may have talked for half an hour, but there wasn't much to say.

I screwed up and did a lot of physical labor that set me back. I was feeling better before that.

I got the impression if I would have needed to talk an hour we would have.

--------------------
Lyme flare June, July, August of 2013. Diagnosed September 2014 Lyme, Bartonella, Mycoplasma, Mono

Posts: 595 | From Texas Crossroads | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD spends 1 1/2 to 2 hours with a new patient. Then 45-60 minutes on follow-ups.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A.G.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A.G.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine spends 3-4 hours in person the first visit. The follow-up phone appts are 30-40min.
Posts: 115 | From US | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine has forms I need to fill out ahead of time with symptoms checklists, a place to list my concerns, etc. Can you fax him something similar ahead of time?
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never saw a 'major' LLMD type dr because I don't have the money to do that.

I have seen other drs that I thought did a nice job helping as best they could- about 5 all together, and they all spent a good amount of time and I have never felt it was rushed. most were all at least a 1 hour apt. there was one dr that was a little more cut short on second apt., but it was still long- like 1 hour, but most of the time he spent talking about himself.

I remember thinking that if he charged for a 30 min. apt rather than for 60 min (for $190) and just didn't talk about himself I would be much happier! the first visit was $400 I think. rip off.

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had a cardiologist here the spent his time talking about his vacations. No way would I have put up with that nonsense. Thankfully, he is gone. He made the entire cardiac center run late and the other cardios were put out with him.

rant over

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should be able to request appts, including phone appts in increments-15 min, half hour, 45 min, hour.

An "esteemed" LLMD once told us about the private tropical island he and his friends bought together and built their homes on. This, as my very ill children were desperate for help. Talk about poor taste!

On another visit he spoke of ski trips out west with his family. I don't begrudge anyone anything. But to think that this man bilked us for tens of thousands of dollars with his magic potions and lotions and other nonsense to no avail is disgraceful. He didn't have the guts to prescribe IV abx, which is what was needed.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, the first one (llmd) I went to told us how he 'understood' the hardships of people like us struggling to make ends meet, ... because.... he is struggling too- to build his NEW 4,700 sf house!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nula
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38409

Thanks so much for all your replies! It's very helpful to know how other doctors handle their appointments.

quote:

You should be able to request appts, including phone appts in increments-15 min, half hour, 45 min, hour.

Good point, beaches!

quote:
Do you want to consider finding someone else who's good and has that time?
Yes, Robin, that's been on my mind ...

quote:
Our visit ends when we both have covered all the topics we wanted to discuss, so I am not left with the feeling you are.
That sounds great, Michael. Would you mind PM-ing me who your LLMD is?

quote:
Mine has forms I need to fill out ahead of time with symptoms checklists, a place to list my concerns, etc. Can you fax him something similar ahead of time?
I do fill out forms ahead of time, WPinVA. I still feel that we're only scratching the surface of my issues. Maybe he and I have communication problems? [confused]

quote:
there was one dr that was a little more cut short on second apt., but it was still long- like 1 hour, but most of the time he spent talking about himself.
Oh, my God, Lisa! I can so relate to that! I've had many doctors (LLMDs and others) talk about themselves ... One even had a 15-minute phone conversation while I was sitting in his office (and it wasn't even an important issue -- he was discussing the contents of future reserach articles he might want to write).

quote:
We had a cardiologist here the spent his time talking about his vacations.
Lymetoo, one of my previous LLMDs spent the first 10 minutes of every consult telling me about his wonderful accomplishments ... He'd never even take a breath, so it was hard to interrupt him.

In any case, I'd like to thank you all for your responses.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement