LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Digestive Enzymes and Neutrophils

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Digestive Enzymes and Neutrophils
SaLS
Member # 46272

Icon 7 posted      Profile for SaLS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
I am rushed for time because I am meeting with Doctor shortly and I would like to present her with more information about my chronic lyme. She placed me on a strong digestive enzyme protocol and I had intense herx response within an hour which continued for days until I finally realized my symptoms were perhaps a result of taking the enzymes. I have read that the microbial enzymes somehow trigger the cyst for of the spirochete. Is anyone familiar with this reaction. Also, my blood tests were flagged for a low White blood cell count and high neutrophils and low basophils. I remember reading an article about neutrophils in relation to lyme but I don't remember what it said (go figure). I would appreciate any information based on personal experience, professional advice or medical research/documentation (best kind to hand to the doc). Thank You!!

--------------------
SaLS

Posts: 6 | From Montana | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A herxheimer reaction occurs when bacteria is killed and toxins are released into bloodstream. I doubt enzymes killed Lyme or any coinfections (but I could be wrong).

Enzymes taken on an empty stomach AWAY from food have been known to have an effect on parasites in the gut though. I think there are even some enzymes that people take that chews away macro parasites like tapeworms.

You may have just had a poor reaction to the enzymes (sensitivity issue, etc) and it made you feel like crap. Isn't always a herx - be careful with that thinking. It's gotten me in trouble many times.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SaLS
Member # 46272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SaLS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, I appreciate your response ... I did take the enzymes with food as directed. I guess I assumed it was herxing because it is SO SPECIFIC and INTENSE (like herx response ... nothing else like it)!! I just found an article which also suggested this response to the high dose of microbial enzymes but they emphasized the necessity of following it with up with an antimicrobial to go after the "activated" cysts (sorry, I don't have the technical terms down). The link to the article is below and the information is under enzyme therapy.

http://www.healthsalon.org/505/cure-chronic-lyme/

--------------------
SaLS

Posts: 6 | From Montana | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the enzymes this guy is talking about are systemic enzymes such as Lumbrokinase, nattokinase, & serrapeptase.

There is some evidence that they can help with cysts but must be taken on an empty stomach 30-60 mins away from food.

I take Serrapeptase for it's ability to break down fibrin, thin the blood, and decrease inflammation. Lymies tend to have slow thick blood and these systemic enzymes help with that.

Digestive enzymes like protease, cellulase, amylase, etc.. work only in the gut to my knowledge.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not exactly sure what microbial enzymes are. Do you mean probiotics or something else?
Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SaLS
Member # 46272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SaLS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is taken from the article and the enzymes he is referring to are the same in my digestive enzyme protocol.

Enzyme Therapy
Dedicated doctors to the treatment of Lyme have been diligently looking for answers. Over the past two years or so it has been found that taking sufficient enzymes between meals will dissolve the Lyme cyst. This is a major breakthrough for up until now there was no known way to attack the cyst that is believed to hide in deep tendon, joint and muscle tissue. Regular human type digestive enzymes have been found to do the job but they must be taken in a very specific protocol at high dosages. This is a nontoxic therapy. The enzymes may bring to you added benefits like clearing out your vascular system and alleviating inflammations of a wide variety.

http://www.healthsalon.org/505/cure-chronic-lyme/

Here is the product and the protocol:

The Enzyme product is called Marcozyme from Marco Pharma Int.
Roseburg, Oregon 97470

They are very high powered enzymes and one dose, 5 capsules/tablets equals:
Amalayse 27,500 usp
Protease 26,500 usp
Lipase 5,700 usp

--------------------
SaLS

canefan17
Member # 22149

Gael (glm1111) is a good person to ask. She uses digestive enzymes on a daily basis (and other things) to treat parasites.

Here's her profile. Try sending a personal message.
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/profile/16556

I don't think she'd mind. She has helped me before.

SaLS
Member # 46272

Thank you !!

--------------------
SaLS

shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoeless joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive taken over the counter enzymes and now take prescription enymes- creon or zen pep.

I herx very easy but these don't seem to bother me at all.

They do help with digestion when my stomach is off.

To be honest I found the over the counter brand(sources natural) to work just as well as the prescription.

Maybe the enymes ere eating yeast in your gut and thats causing herxing just a thought

Posts: 227 | From fairhaven ma | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started using digestive enzymes between meals many years ago, before I knew I had lyme. I got really sick on them presumably because they were breaking up biofilms and releasing microbes and debri.

I found that I did not get as sick once I was on abx for lyme.

They will supposedly help clear debri in your vascular system. I personally believe they release a number of things including microbes and toxins.

Personally I think it makes sense to make sure you are killing whatever is being released as well as binding the toxins.

You might consider doing a search on lymenet as I recall someone writing about detrimental effects of digestive enzymes on tissues. Sorry I can't remember details of that theory.

I'm not a doctor.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SaLS
Member # 46272

Thank you Terry !!! I have had the same response with them twice and my concern is not what they are doing, but to go after the toxins/microbes that are released. My doctor thinks I am way off base. I thought I would ask people here in case someone has experienced the same and/or knows where to look to find more information. I appreciate all the responses and I will do the search.

--------------------
SaLS

SaLS
Member # 46272

Also, Thank you shoeless joe, I will also look into yeast die off ......

--------------------
SaLS

WPinVA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take digestive enzymes and they seem to help with digestive symptoms and yeast, so I too was wondering if you could be experiencing a yeast die-off.
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement