LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Awful yeast, nystatin and diflucan not working. Now what? :(

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Awful yeast, nystatin and diflucan not working. Now what? :(
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've developed severe yeast problems.

2 nyastatin 2x daily and 200mg diflucan 3x weekly isn't doing anything. I've been on them a while.

I stopped abx 2 days ago.

Now what? [Frown]

Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Assume you are avoiding all simple, refined, processed carbohydrates. Also consider that farm chemicals used on conventionally grown produce can make it harder to shake candida. Organic is best.

And avoid plastics as much as possible. They also mess up how well our body is able to fight infection.

Nystatin never did any good for me, at all.

Diflucan was needed every day for 6 weeks, at one point. Unless daily, it just couldn't do the job.

But I doubt that any doctor would prescribe that now. This was back in 1993. And the cost was high then but out of bounds, now. No insurance company will pay for that now.

And diflucan can be very hard on the liver, very damaging, actually. Be sure your liver support is on board with key antioxidants (also required to fight candida).

However, after a while . . . another year, a different place in time, before even starting antibiotics, I started OLE. And OLE was enough, all by itself (with a wise diet but one that did include good complex carbohydrates in veggies and low glycemic fruits).

you might try OLE, but Seagate or one that uses the same high standards would be the only one I'd recommend. Most are just worthless.

I did 4 capsules, four times a day = 16 a day, the top amount suggested in Walker's book, detail below.

Now, I would also add their new glycerine liquid tincture for the mouth to absorb that and let it soak in.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/115457?#000000

OLE Links - Olive Leaf Extract
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Your antioxidant support, that might need some adjusting. If you take OLE, that provides good antioxidants. Still, be sure your foods contain lots and lots of deep, dark, bright colors from the earth.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Some who have trouble obtaining or tolerating Rx have found good success with the method:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=117755;p=0

RIFE Machine - Reference LINKS
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Also search "TESLA" in the medical forum. Brussels has posted many excellent threads lately and that might be a more affordable option (at least partly). I have not read up on it as much as I'd like so I can't say more, still, worth a look, for sure.
-

SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, I've tried OLE, rifing for Candida, oregano oil, cinnamon, coconut oil, digestive enzymes, garlic, diflucan daily, itraconazole daily, nystatin, nothing works. Chewing garlic cloves did help my thrush for a while, but it's coming back again.

I eat near zero carbs and zero sugar. My diet is near perfect.

Any other tips?

I gotta be able to get back on abx soon. i'm getting worse fast without them. Should I just start taking them again???

Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Also, would the Buhner herbs contribute to Candida overgrowth? Wondering if I could take them while trying to kill this yeast.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herbs can kill off good bacteria too. I'm not sure which ones, but I guess anything that kills spirochetes would be suspect.

Oravig is nasty but I got rid of oral thrush in one day with it.

I would try taking itraconazole or
Diflucan every day. I have taken as many as 16 tablets of Nystatin every day. It can cause nausea, so be careful. I take 6 tablets a day right now. If I remember, I take an extra two in the afternoon.

Hope you can get a handle on it. It's a bear.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

I tried diflucan every day a little while back with no effect, but maybe I'll try that again with more nystatin. I've only been taking 4 nystatin a day. I've taken itraconazole for the past 5 days or so.

When I first started nystatin it made me sick and was very effective! Diflucan was also quite effective at first. Maybe upping the dose of nystatin will help, I'm already have 200mg diflucan tabs.

What happens if you can't get it under control? Does that happen? Can you just never take abx again?

Oh yeah, apple cider vinegar is the other thing I've tried.

S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for S13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you know its candida?
You say thrush, but do you mean you have a white coated tongue?
A white coated tongue can be caused by bacterial and fungal infections.
In the case of bacterial, you have dysbiosis. Throwing antifungals at dysbiosis wont help much (and can even make things worse by killing off helpful yeasts in the intestinal tract).

And even if it is candida on your tongue then still suspect dysbiosis as an underlying cause.

Posts: 381 | From The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

It's the roof of my mouth. Swollen rash that itches like crazy, really bad. Started on the left side and spread to the right. Diflucan helped it at first.

Also have terrible, terrible gas, bloating, and (sorry to be so open and blunt) anal itching like crazy. Diflucan helped initially, antifungal creams have helped externally. Abx worsen it, like throwing gas on a fire.

I've been hoping maybe it was something else, but I think it all points to yeast. Maybe not, though, I sure am 100% open to any suggestions. My doctors unfortunately haven't been much help with this.

S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for S13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok that sounds more like candida.
Now, instead of trying to wipe out all candida & flora with herbs or antifungals, you may want to try i different route. And that is to add good flora to counteract the candida.
Look at things like probiotics, prebiotics, fermented foods and good yeasts like saccharomyces boulardii.

Know that a lot of herbs kill of good flora as well, so that might not be your best route. Abx will definitely kill a lot of the remaining flora and will result in an explosion of candida as you have noticed.

Reestablishing good flora can be very tricky, especially if you also have bacterial dysbiosis. Prebiotics are probably most effective in increasing good flora, even more so than probiotics and fermented foods. But prebiotics will also make bad bacteria grow in the gut if you have dysbiosis, so be careful with that.

For prebiotics look for things like FOS, Inulin, galactans, resistant starch, humic/fulvic acid, etc.

Posts: 381 | From The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make sure you are taking Florastor!

Which probiotic are you taking and how much?

Don't take itraconazole and Diflucan at the same time unless your Dr says to.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

I do take Florastor 2x daily, and I use the 900 billion VSL #3 probiotics. When the yeast wasn't resolving even with stopping abx I started taking 2 of the VSL #3's daily (1.8 trillion total daily).

I bought this probiotic and thought I would try it, but it tastes like it may have alcohol in it:
http://www.miessence.com/shop/en/product/15301/fast-tract-gluten-free-probiotic-liquid

I read good things about it somewhere, but I certainly don't want alcohol! I sent a message to the maker asking about alcohol content.

Maybe I should look at prebiotics too, or eat some sauerkraut or something... I wonder if some sort of yeast-killing enema would help. I've never done an enema before, sounds terrible, but I'd do anything that would help!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Here are the ingredients in the one you mentioned:

http://www.miessence.com/shop/en/product/15301/fast-tract-gluten-free-probiotic-liquid

Sauerkraut may help. Make your own if you are able.

I ran into trouble with it due to my histamine intolerance .. which I didn't know I had.

Definitely take 2-4 of those VSL's a day. I got a prescription for the VSL powder and that way it was very cheap... But it contains dairy and I ended up reacting to that.

Maybe you could do some colonics?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

WPinVA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Xylitol?
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sick sam, I suffered 30 years with chronic candida. No matter what I did, candida went dormant, then returned. Wildly.

I'm recently running a thread on the Tesla wand. Since February, when I started using it, my candida went dormant after 30 years!

If I remain candida free for one year, I will make a party!!! If that happens, it will be the FIRST YEAR in 30 YEARS!

It will be like getting out of jail after 30 years.

I don't do a special anti-candida diet anymore, since February. No probiotics, no enzymes. I eat well, mostly organic, but I always did that...

The only thing I do, are high frequencies + binders.

I'm not sure I'm totally free of candida, but I WON'T stop my Tesla wand to check, as I really don't want to feel any light candida symptom, not even for a minute.

I'm glad it's gone, and I hope it will stay gone.

If you want to try it, the wand cost me just 25 dollars! What cost me more are my binders, that I continue taking daily.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cottonbrain
Member # 13769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cottonbrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sam, i feel your pain -- i can't get rid of candida either and have tried many protocols.

A friend of mine swore that vinegar baths got rid of her candida -- you have to soak in a vinegar solution for a couple hours every day --- anyone know the protocol?

Another friend had a baby born with candidiasis. They beat candida by using accupuncture and an oral product called phellostatin under their doctor's care.

I have tired phellostatin but quit when I noticed that some of the ingredients contain estrogens that may trigger breast cancer. If you try it, be sure to build up slowly, as per the directions on the label. My friend said she was completely cured of candida in about three months with this product.

(editing to add: my friend did NOT have Lyme Disease, only candida from long-term use of antibiotics for acne)

Posts: 1173 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cottonbrain
Member # 13769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cottonbrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant to add -- after taking diflucan three times a week for about five or six weeks i developed neuropathies in my feet and face.

I was also taking tinidazole at low doses, but i am pretty sure that the diflucan caused the neuropathies because i discontinued all meds, waited two months (the neuropathies had improved by then) and then re-tried the diflucan. After a couple doses the neuropathies returned with a vengeance.

A few months have passed and this time the neuropathies have not eased up.

Just saying, be careful. It is tempting to take the large doses of meds some LLMD's like to throw at us, but the patient needs to be very vigilant in noticing side effects.

Posts: 1173 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Wow, Brussels, that's amazing! Thanks for sharing, I haven't kept up with reading the boards too much for a few months because I've just felt awful. Just ordered one, can't hurt for $25.

Lymetoo, I do think I may have a histamine intolerance too, glad you mentioned that. Yea for Lyme, I've learned more about my body than I ever cared to know before.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Re: vinegar baths, etc. Be very cautious with vinegar

Vinegar can make things so much worse, depending upon the STRAIN of yeast. I can't elaborate about this but I know from a friend who had made a terrible yeast infection so much worse years ago and then found out the strain made all the difference.

And there may be other kinds of infections. It may be a good idea to get a culture so you know more specifically what you are dealing with and can then alter approach.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I know I wouldn't be able to do the vinegar. It's a no-go with my salicylate sensitivity.

Phellostatin sounds interesting.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Sounds like a great idea, Keebler. A doc I see will be doing a mouth swab next week, so hopefully that can give us some insight.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Cottonbrain .. please check the spelling of the drug. I can't find it on www.drugs.com

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Gosh, sorry everyone, sometimes I miss replies. That's good info cottonbrain, my doc wants me in 200mg diflucan daily for now, which seems huge! I'll watch carefully for effects.
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did vinegar baths for about 15 years. Then added Dead Sea salt to it, reduced amount of vinegar.

I used extreme hot temperature (to the point of almost burning my skin). I'd rather had my skin burnt with hot water than destroyed with inflammation from candida.

During the last 20 years, those extreme hot feet baths kept me going, but they were not a solution.

They just allowed me to wear shoes, or I would have been home bound, as my skin was in fire 24hs/24hs for about 6 to 10 months a year.

They do not clean the source of candida (in the GI tract), but were the only skin treatment I found. But if the water was not extremely hot, it wouldn't work well, and I would be home bound.

My skin got slowly used to higher and higher temperatures after the years....

Now, since February, I didn't do a single foot bath. I am just enjoying my prison free days, that turned to weeks, and now months. It's been almost 6 months candida free, after 30 years of suffering.

NO capsule PROBIOTICS, NO EXTRA ENZYMES, NO CANDIDA KILLERS, NO CANDIDA DIET.

This is prison free life! [Big Grin]

Just my Tesla wand and chlorella or other binders.

Many things worked for my candida, but it always returned. I need to pass a whole winter candida free to be sure my Tesla wand does work. I'll only know for sure in March 2016!

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I haven't read all the posts so others may have suggested these already.
Anti-yeast diet
kefir (huge help)

enzymes to break down the cell walls and biofilm.
http://bodyecology.com/articles/one-enzyme-that-destroys-candida

then add the anti-fungals and probiotics and binders if you need them for die off.

Be careful with the Tesla wand if you are planning on taking abx. The die off can be difficult to deal with.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my doc just recommended coconut oil for yeast, have not added it yet.
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

It never did a thing for me as far as yeast is concerned, but it can't hurt either.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement