LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » need to gain weight

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: need to gain weight
shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoeless joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At 5 foot 11 and 137 pounds I would like to put some weight on.

Problem is Im on a low carb diet due to yeast and gut problems and I also have very high cholesterol.

Any suggestions where I can get some calories without carbs and making my cholesterol worse.

How about whey powder? Is that ok on an ant-yeast diet?

Thank you kindly

Posts: 227 | From fairhaven ma | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Please do not discount carbohydrates, we require them. IMO, too many are starving themselves trying to avoid carbohydrates. And this can lead to major toxin buildup as the carbs are what takes the trash out via our colon, so to speak.

Of course, avoid all processed, simple, refined carbs but please don't pass them by in their whole form, as nature intended before food companies were around.

There are a million vegetables that can help you out, even if you avoid fruits (though there are some low glycemic dark berries that may be okay later on for you).

You might talk to the produce manager at your area real foods market.

Small servings of non-gluten grain like side dishes are also important, IMO. Most are very low to neutral on the glycemic index and loaded with excellent nutrients. But these grains will help the other foods last longer in your body for a more even energy supply and better glucose balance.

such as: Black (Forbidden) Rice, WILD rice, quinoa, millet, amaranth, buckwheat groats. 1/4 to 1/2 cup with a meal can help tremendously.

Nice servings of veggies a day, prepared with onions, garlic, ginger, fennel root, and Extra Virgin Olive Oil . . . other kinds of oils, too, will give you flavor to enjoy and good food for all your cells.

And, fat, too . . . good fat, is also required and not at all as bad as we once were told. Even the cholesterol "issue" is not quite what we've been led to think.

You may need more protein to help with muscle mass but, without adequate carbohydrates, muscles cannot grow. So, a balance of the 3 main food groups with each meal (protein, carbs, fat).

All are best from organic or "transitional" farms, when possible are you are literally building cells of your body.

I hope you can find some good recipes that you enjoy so that eating will take the center stage and your body will respond in kind.

Focus more on the nutrients, getting enough and good flavor . . . some light weight training . . . and the rest will take care of itself, as you proceed through your treatment for lyme / coinfections.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Farmers' Markets may be able to link you to ranchers in your region who raise pastured animals. In addition to "happy" chicken and cattle, consider bison, lamb, too.

WILD Salmon (never farmed), sardines (Wild Planet a good brand). Find a safe fish website to check on all that.

http://icmr.nic.in/ijmr/2006/august/0804.pdf

THE REQUIREMENTS OF PROTEIN & AMINO ACID DURING ACUTE & CHRONIC INFECTION . . .

Anura V. Kurpad - Institute of Population Health & Clinical Research, Bangalore, India 129. Indian J Med Res 124, August 2006, pp 129-148.

Excerpt:

" . . . In general, the amount of EXTRA protein that would appear to be needed is of the order of 20-25 per cent of the recommended intake, for most infections. . . ."

- 20 pages - Full article at link (or google the title if it does not go through).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Books:

THE CURE IS IN THE KITCHEN

A SPOONFUL OF GINGER

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1936608677/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1936608677&linkCode=as2&tag=glufrecat-20

LADLED: NOURISHING SOUPS FOR ALL SEASONS

- by Kimberly Harris (December 18, 2012)

over 50 reader reviews, a near perfect composite 5 star rating.

One reader notes: "Conducive to almost all specialty diets out there! GAPS, Paleo, vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free, real food......you name it, you will find a lot on this book for you."
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
My theory is to focus on flavor and variety, as they will help living foods come alive for the best enjoyment. That, in turn, fuels the body in whatever ways are needed.

The bone broths in that book can be a bit daunting, at first. Chicken broth is easiest and can be made in a small pot, actually with just enough water to cover the bones and then, chill, and freeze in small jars. Just add water when you need it.

I just found out about an actual bone broth store in my town. You may have something like that near you. They do ship, via FedEx. Keep in mind these are condensed.

http://www.oregonlive.com/dining/index.ssf/2015/07/first_look_broth_bar_portlands.html#incart_m-rpt-2

Article in Portland, Oregon's newspaper: THE OREGONIAN, July 29, 2015

BONE BROTH STORE, PDX

http://www.saltfireandtime.com/

SALT, FIRE & TIME

http://www.saltfireandtime.com/product-category/bone-broths/

BONE BROTHS

Shipping is available nationally via FedEx or UPS with your online order or email [email protected] for more information
-

shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoeless joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Keebler,thats a lot of work typing all that info.

I appreciate that ,very kind of you.

Im at a loss for what to do.

Too many carbs and Im off the deep end with racing and psych stuff.

My cholesterol is at 300 so Im worried about to much meat and oils.

My diet right now is pretty much two or three servings of baked chicken,egg whites, low carb vegys,a little bit of almond nut butter.

I will have to do something,almost impossible to do a low carb ,low cholesterol diet.

Guess I will feel out my carb intake. I so wish I could straighten out my gut.I have Pots too and digestion takes all my energy.

Thank you again Keebler,very generous.

Posts: 227 | From fairhaven ma | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
A lot of this is from my file notes. Nutrition has been a "study" of mine for years. Delicious flavor from real food a passion to share.

I kept passing out on the kind of diet you have, felt like I was going to die just about every day. Food changed all that, that is REAL FOOD and enough of it.

One thing that pops out is that you only eat egg white.

Egg YOLKS are absolutely, positively EXCELLENT for you in so many ways. Do not toss out the yolk, let it work for you.

Our brain needs this kind of food, in the whole egg.

Three eggs provide 18 grams of protein, the amount for a good meal. Nothing wrong with that 5-6 days a week.

Best not to consume the same foods every day, day in and day out (allergy could develop) but 3 days on, one day off should be okay. Any food we eat very often, a week off now and then is a good idea.

But be sure they are from "happy" hens, pastured, etc.

A red or orange veggie and a green one make for a good breakfast with maybe a little amaranth.

Salmon or sardines good for the days off eggs.
-

[ 08-01-2015, 02:16 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Put those media myths to rest:

www.huffingtonpost.ca/dain-wallis/eggs-healthy-food_b_2968318.html

Amazing Eggs: Busting the Cholesterol Myth

- By Dain Wallis - The Huffington Post - 5-30 - 2013

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=033975;p=0

HAPPY EGGS - how to find the kind that are real food, not full of farm chemicals. Decode the jargon.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://cholesterol.mercola.com/

Cholesterol Articles - Mercola sorts out the old myths

Nina Teicholz is the author of “The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet.”

A version of this op-ed appears in print on February 21, 2015, on page A19 of the New York edition with the headline: The Government’s Bad Diet Advice.

http://tinyurl.com/nncu64v [or search title at ]www.nytimes.com]

The Government’s Bad Diet Advice

- By Nina Teicholz - The New York Times - Feb. 20, 2015

http://thebigfatsurprise.com/

Author's website

My note: I'm not sure if the author discusses how to find the best sources of meat, etc. but I did mention that in a post above.

I suggest to never, ever - ever - buy meat from animals raised in industrial animal factories. I'd rather eat less and know it's from animals that have been properly raised, treated and fed non-chemicaled foods natural to their breed.

Be sure to scroll all the way down, and save this to your health file for frequent reference:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33675975

COOKING OILS - Which oils are best to cook with?

- By Dr. Michael Mosley - BBC Magazine - 28 July 2015

[ 08-01-2015, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
If your gut is troubled, be sure to consider celiac . . . and if you think you are gluten free, see the "HIDDEN" sources of gluten detail here.

Also see what GMO foods can do to your gut. Best to totally avoid GMO. the film here is amazing look inside the stomach so you can see what actually happens.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors (that are not likely natural at all).

GMO foods that destroy the GI Tract; Gluten; Dairy [some folks do okay with this but many simply do not].
-

canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in the same boat. If I eat carbs it seems to flare my bart/yeast symptoms. (Even "good" carbs).

But at the same time when I load up on carbs I get a ton of energy. A great feeling.

Flagyl helped me gain weight. I suspect because it treats parasites.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

thanks again keebler,I have been checked for celiac quite a few times also a biopsy when the did an endoscopy.

Canefan,same for me. To many carbs and Im off the wall but have energy.

Little carbs and my brain is more relaxed.

I wish carbs and cholesterol would kill candida.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Carbs like these below even give you trouble?

Kale, Bok Choy, Chard, Cucumbers, Collard, Lettuce (go for the darker ones, sturdier ones) . . . Broccoli, Asparagus, Green Beans . . . Cabbage (so many different kinds here) . . . Red, orange or green bell peppers? Okra? Zucchini?
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
A stomach biopsy is not always accurate, sure missed it for me. A DNA saliva or blood test is best for celiac.
-

shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

I have had several celiac blood test,all negative. Been gluten free for months-no difference.

Simple carbohydrates and starches give me the most problems but I also suffer with high fiber-brocolli,cabbage,kale etc along with fiber from nuts and seeds.

Ive been tested for sibo and h pylori both negative too.

I eat broccoli,cabbage,kale etc in moderation.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Even when the vegetables are lightly steamed or in soups? If so, wonder how to get the good carbs in you with [correction: withOUT] a fight starting in there [your gut].

Does Quinoa work for you? The red kind is more complex than the regular but even the regular kind has an excellent glycemic index.

Some detail here might be of help, even if this is not your diagnosis, it is about making the gut happy for those with digestive issues:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=119808;p=0

Topic: Treatment / Support for Gastroparesis

Many great links here
-

[ 08-04-2015, 01:46 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

uuuuugh,added some yeast free matzo crackers ,40 carbs worth and some carrots in for a few days and Im neuro with fatigue.

Had a gastric emptying test,was fine but my small intestines were three time slower than normal.

Spiritwalk
Member # 46032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spiritwalk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My very HEALTHY 'Candy Bar' Smoothie

I sometimes drink them twice a day (breakfast and evening snack), and they've helped me add a little weight back

2 cups of organic unsweetened coconut milk (refrigerated So Delicious brand)
1 Tbs of organic cacao nibs (Navitas)
1 Tbs of organic cacao powder (Navitas)
3/4 of an avocado (not the large ones)
1/2 to 2/3 banana (frozen)
2-3 Tbs of almond butter (Justin's)
1 Tbs organic coconut oil (unrefined/unheated is best)
1 Tbs honey
1/2 tsp Organic Camu powder (Navitas) - this will add a load of vitamin C

It looks like a lot of ingredients, but I make them so often that it takes me less than 5 minutes to prepare.

I buy organic bananas and freeze them in halves in a ziplock freezer back. I refrigerate the avocados too. I make smoothies all the time and use an Oster blender.

If you get an Oster, you can use large mason jars to blend your smoothies in. The blender attachment screws right on to the mason jar for easy cleanup.

So I put the ingredients above in a 32oz mason jar in that exact order (milk first). Blend well. I call it a candy bar smoothie b/c of the almond, honey, and cacao.

Don't skip on the avocado. You can't taste it in the smoothie, but it adds a creamy texture that is great b/c the coconut milk without it will be more watery. Avocados are a great way to add healthy fat.

It's a tasty snack that will fill you up too if you're on the run.

Posts: 79 | From Austin | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

Thank you spirit walk,thats sounds delicious.

Hopefully I can add that in up the road a bit.

My system can't even handle that amount of sugar right now.

Lyme and atbx has left mw with a wicked screwed up GI tract and a severe case of POTS.

Press on

canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That shake does sound great but see I would be in trouble with the bananas in there and cocoa powder.

So I'm left with avocados and almond butter lol
ewwwwwww

I have about 5 or 6 foods I can legitimately rotate in my diet and not get sick from. It's insane.

BUT when I'm successfully treating the infection or gut issue (e.g. flagyl has helped in past) then I can literally eat whatever I want (pizza!) and not feel bad at all.

I'm thinking flagyl was killing parasites and other gut infections more so than just being a cyst buster.

Tindimax did nothing for me. Maybe I can try another abx from that drug family.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xemoterp1
Member # 44587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xemoterp1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cholesterol peaked at 365 while I was treating Lyme and coinfections. This while taking Welchol .....

Rifampin seemed to increase it a lot .... I had a lot of the same issues - all are gone now - healing your gut is important - if you are on lots of antibiotics you need to take good probiotics to hopefully keep things somewhat in check.

I still take probiotics and am still on some herbal items (Cats Claw, Cryptolipus and a few other items ....). Gluten free is still important but I can tolerate gluten much better now ... A sign my gut is healing from 9 months of intense treatment.

Posts: 19 | From Maryland | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spiritwalk
Member # 46032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spiritwalk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
shoeless, remove the honey and the only sugar you would have would be the bananas. The cacao powder and nibs are sugar free. None of the other ingredients contain sugar. If you can handle a half of a banana, you're good to go. I've made them plenty of times without the honey.
Posts: 79 | From Austin | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spiritwalk
Member # 46032

canefan, have you confirmed that the Lyme and coinfections have caused your food intolerances? B/c I have a ton of intolerances as well and wonder if it is the Lyme causing it.
canefan17
Member # 22149

I do believe the lyme & bart plays a role. Whacks out the immune system and destroys the gut (along w treatment). Then food leaks into blood stream and body develops antibodies to it after awhile.
shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

Thank you again.

I have hersheys cocoa powder with stevia a few times a day,what a nice treat.

I possibly could do the half a banana once a week,something to think about,thank you.

My GI tract is trashed right now.

I can't do probiotics,a few days and I herx beyond what I can take. At most I can do one probiotic a week right now.

Even antifungals,right now I just do one garlic pearl every third or fourth day or the heroes will be to much.

Its slow and steady for me,wish there were more calories to eat .

One good thing,I have read caffeine helps or hurts people with Pots.

Thankfully I am one of the ones it helps and it sure does so the cocoa powder is a great treat,it also has some fiber.

For some reason to much fiber does me in too,to bad,nuts and seeds would be a nice snack and calories.

I can handle about two tablespoons of almond butter a day and what a treat that is too.

Im holding but sure would be nice to have another ten pounds on these bones.

Thanks for everyones imput.

Seems like a lot of us lymies are left with what I have-GI problems and POTS.

Spiritwalk
Member # 46032

quote:
Originally posted by canefan17:
I do believe the lyme & bart plays a role. Whacks out the immune system and destroys the gut (along w treatment). Then food leaks into blood stream and body develops antibodies to it after awhile.

I hope mine don't get worse. Three years ago I lost my ability to eat about 30 different foods. I just started antibiotics for Lyme two weeks ago.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement