LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Juicing to fight lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Juicing to fight lyme
Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys,

Has anyone tried drinking freshly made vegetable juice for extended periods of time to help improve ones health to naturally fight off Lyme?

Any info or links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Month

[ 08-12-2015, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Monti ]

Posts: 120 | From Maine | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
As part of a food plan, vegetable juices can be excellent. But food can't be all liquid. Even mega glasses of the most healthful juice can be too much at once and rather high on the glycemic index -- sudden surge, then drop us flat, not hold us through as long as if other whole foods are also consumed as part of the meal.

Taking in some oils help, of course but whole carbohydrates in a wide range of veggies, maybe slightly steamed -- and whole food protein that is digested and absorbed over hours is vital.

A 4-6 oz. glass of veggie juice several times a day is good . . . just be sure to add back in the pulp and also eat real food.

Organic veggies best as well. Be sure to cast a wide net as you "harvest" your veggies. I really like red cabbage, cucumbers, celery, zucchini to round out a small beet or some carrot. A tart apple and raw ginger root (just a touch) also great.

Be careful if you add in protein powders. Most of them are not so good for us, real food better. Be sure there is no added glutamate if you do choose one. Glutamate can be toxic to our nerve tissue, other than just what we get in our food. also called glutamic acid. avoid.

And if you choose whey, do NOT put in a blender or add fruit. It destroys the properties. Be sure it's from "happy" cows. This helps with good glutathione.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/24691?#000000

Topic: UNDENATURED Whey: Why not to use blender or add fruit

Better to go with a handful of nuts than most of the protein powders on the market. If you have a high powered blender, you can start by making a light nut milk and then add in your veggies. VitaMix or Blentec do better with nuts. Creamy.
-

[ 08-12-2015, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
backing up, you said "to naturally fight off Lyme??" (end quote)

To be clear, very, very clear: this will NOT "naturally fight off Lyme" or "improve chances" to "naturally" fight it. Other methods are required for a full comprehensive protocol.

Of course, excellent nutrition is absolutely vital. Gotta have that. But even the best food plan is not going to treat lyme. If you have a good treatment plan, then adding the best nutrients will improve chances, though. If there is not the best nutrition, chances crash.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
As you wonder how to "naturally fight off lyme" -- please know that lyme is one of the most complicated & neurotoxic infections known to mankind. Good medicine is what works, from all corners of botany & science.

When considering herbal / nutritional / adjunct methods, because lyme is so very complex & unique, as are possible coinfections:

if at all possible - because each person & each case is different - it's best to consult with an ILADS-educated LL ND (lyme literate naturopathic doctor) (or similar) who has completed four years of post-graduate medical education in the field of herbal and nutritional medicine -

- and someone who is current with ILADS' research & presentations, past and present, and has completed the ILADS Physician Training Program (see: www.ilads.org )

so they really know all they can about the science of lyme . . . how lyme (& other TBD) act and what we can do about that in various ways.

Many LL NDs incorporate antibiotics (depending upon the licensing laws in their state). Some LLMDs and LL NDs have good working relationships.

When possible, it's great to have both a LLMD and LL ND and even better when they have a long-standing professional relationship.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/13964

How to find an ILADS-educated LL:

N.D. (Naturopathic Doctor);

L.Ac. (Acupuncturist);

D.Ay. (Doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine);

D.O.M. (Doctor of Oriental Medicine);

Herbal Safety considerations & reference books; etc.

Links to many articles and books by holistic-minded LL doctors of various degrees who all have this basic approach in common:

Understanding of the importance of addressing the infection(s) fully head-on with specific measures from all corners of medicine;

knowing which supplements have direct impact, which are only support and which are both.

You can compare and contrast many approaches with links to articles, books, methods . . .

BODY WORK methods / links (and why anyone who works on your spine MUST be LL to the degree they at least know to never suddenly twist neck or spine. Never. Ever. And that we should never be advised to do neck / head / shoulder stands.)
-

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried all, and I mean all, the otc vegetable drinks. ugh...they sucked..high in salt and some very high in sugar.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
randibear,

I think the question was about FRESH. I assumed, that, though. It never occurred to me that the poster was asking about processed vegetable juices.

But, then, I've not even been in a store in so many years I forget that there are aisles and aisles of this stuff in the markets.

Glad you brought this up as anything in a can, bottle, carton is likely not a good idea due to all the additives and plastic linings.

Better if we go for the very best ingredients, in a glass jar. Actually trace where the ingredients come from, how they are tended, etc. by researching the company. Some REAL juices are good - mostly fruit ones, not veggie - but they are not usually found at the big box supermarkets.

Locally, some carrot juices may be good if made just a day or two prior. Be sure of who makes these and how they do it, how far they travel. Still, plastic to consider and that's usually best avoided.

We do far better when we just take the FRESH vegetables and make our own juice whether extraction method or puree in a good strong blender and enjoy the real deal. Go for real, fresh.

[ 08-12-2015, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've juiced off and on for the past 20 years. It's good for general health, but I was juicing a lot and eating a very healthy diet when I got bitten (again) in 2003 and my health tanked. Diet is essential, but it's not enough.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks. let's not forget the acid in tomatoe based drinks. tore my stomach up.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I do but as a way to eat healthier which is good for Lyme recovery, but nowhere near a standalone treatment.

Instead of a true juicer, I stick everything in my Vitamix blender.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alisandne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alisandne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had six tick bites (that I know of) this spring/summer, and have struggled with neurological symptoms including visual disturbances/migraines I never had before, extreme photosensitivity, vertigo, and alarming brain fog.

I was able to get an appointment with a LLMD, but not until late next month.

I've long known that juicing makes a difference in my energy level, so I decided to give it my best shot in hopes of boosting my immune system. I put away my two centrifugal juicers and bought myself an Omega masticating juicer after reading about the added health benefits of this type of juicer.

I'm so glad I did. I juice every day (and eat regular food as well). The visual disturbances/migraines stopped, and the other neuro symptoms have been reduced by about 75%. I no longer have to wear sunglasses in stores with fluorescent lighting. I still have pain in my "Lyme knee" occasionally, and my energy and stamina are nowhere near where they should be, but I feel SO much better than I did.

My standard juice consists of carrots, romaine, celery, lemon, and ginger, but at times I add any of the following: apple, melon, beet, green beans, cucumber, whatever.

If I weren't sensitive to sulfur I'd include kale and cabbage, etc.

I highly recommend vegetable juicing.

Posts: 117 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clint31
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clint31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told I can't juice because my immune system is compromised and doing it before might have given me H Pylori; which is awful.

It's always something! Not to be negative, but you turn away from one evil and there's another with this crap.

--------------------
DX'ed Lyme Disease: 7/7/2008
DX'ed Babesia, Epstein Barr, Liver Parasite 8/15/2013.

Posts: 739 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone's different. Makes me feel great when I have the energy to do it. I also feel the difference between slow and fast masticated juices.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement