LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » yeast,cholestramine neuro detox

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: yeast,cholestramine neuro detox
shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoeless joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really struggling with my GI tract and yeast-dysbiosis.

Herxhiemers are just to severe and neuro when I take the smallest of antifungals and symptoms in general are really neuro.

Im giving Cholestramine a try,starting at a low dose to see how I do.

Anyone have any good or bad experiences with cholestramine,especially clearing out neuro stuff.

Thank you,hoping somethings going to work.

Posts: 227 | From fairhaven ma | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickofthepain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickofthepain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had a very good experience with choles. It helped with my migraines esp. It can be stool binding so you may want to balance it with magnesium citrate but I have been very thankful for being able to use it.
Posts: 294 | From southwest mi | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoeless joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you sickofthepain

Thats encouraging,

Im tired of all the neuro and heroes I can't get through all due to dysbiosis-yeast.

Im hoping this mops up some toxins to calm things down.

Yes,I am worried about constipation and will be taking magnesium and extra water. HOPE

Posts: 227 | From fairhaven ma | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just be aware that you may need a lot more than magnesium and extra water. The constipation can be horrible!

Previous posts call tell you the stories. One person had to go to the ER.

So, starting slow is an excellent idea. Do whatever it takes to avoid constipation.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Csm is being used alot now by those fighting mold illness. Its best to get the kind without sweetner. They start at 1/8 teaspoon a day and work up to 3-4 packets a day. Theyy take mag citrate an C to keep bowels going. Even occasional senna or other lax but as high as necessary with mag and c should work

Dont forget to take csm two hours away from.medicine and supps or they will detox out the meds

I was one hospitalized for constipation years go. Ten days. Because of that history they started me on welchol pwder. The pills are harder to tolerate. You start with same dose(1/8 tsp) but goal is to work up to one or two packets a day. So it is easier to take welchol but it is not as effective. Some do welchol first then switch to csm

There is a large number of mold patients who also have lyme but cant get rid of the lyme. When , on these drugs both mold and lyme sx go awsy. They believe tht is because lyme toxins are being removed

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for S13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tbh if you're really struggling with yeast and dysbiosis then cholestyramine is probably a very bad idea.
You are removing bile. Bile is meant to control bacterial growth in the small intestine. So you are further degrading an already compromised GI tract.

Posts: 381 | From The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

hmmmm,now Im at a los at what to do.

I won't do anymore until I know I pass this little dose I've done.

Im so nuero and can't get through herxhiemers ,be nice to clear the head and neuro out.

I don't know,have to give this some thought.

Maybe back to charcoal and what little garlic I can take..

AAAH,decisions, just want some of this neuro stuff to clear out.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not try 1/2 capsule of s.boulardii .. or 1/4 pill of Diflucan .. whatever it takes to get rid of the yeast.

Begin somewhere.

I HATED CSM for all of the reasons stated above.

Also .. diet is ESSENTIAL to getting rid of yeast.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

Ive tried it all,s bollard and every probiotic,many antifungals including diflucan,nystatin,garlic,caprylic acid,eta.

Severe herx on everything,extreme neuro and just can't get through them.

Pushed myself to scary sick trying to get through them.

Ive gone extremely slow and still can't get through them and get improvement.

I actually feel a little better today after doing that little dose of CSM yesterday,coincidence,very well could be but sure hoping not.

I did have a good BM today so since I feel a little better I will push on with another small dose of CSM.

I no longer get my hopes to high especially after one day but heres for hoping.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about taking one tiny dose ONCE a week?

Are you eating starches and sugars?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

Nope,no starches or sugars.

Im pretty confident in saying Ive done the anti yeast diet as stict as anyone for months on end with no substantial results yet as soon as I take any anti fungal agent I herd SEVERE after about 4 days

Yes I can take a tiny dose once a week and have done that but haven't made any progress.

Ive tried it all and should have made progress but haven't.

If I eat carbs I get worse,if I take any anti fungal I hex severe.

Hopefully I can continue CSM and see if its been toxic overload blocking my way all this time.

Second small dose in me about an hour ago. Hope some more

TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am cheering you on, joe. This could be the key!!
Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for S13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try to go slow and see how things go. Everyone is different.

Having said that, it really sounds like your dysbiosis is causing severe troubles when you are trying to kill of yeast. Know that yeast is a normal part of your gut flora, so there is both good and bad. Diflucan is not selective, it will kill a lot of fungal forms. And when fungal forms disappear, there's even more room for opportunistic pathogenic bacteria to grow and wreak havoc.

I would advice looking for things that make you feel better. Endless herxing is not the way to go, its just a sign from your body things are getting worse.

Have you ever checked the presence of good flora in your gut? Maybe you completely lack certain groups which will make fixing your gut very difficult. In this case prebiotics will just feed the bad guys and probiotics are just overwhelmed and cant colonize the intestine effectively.

Posts: 381 | From The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

Thanks TF,lets hope.

S13 Ive had comp.stool analysis,Don't know if I have had a test for good flora.

What is the test called to check flora.

I herx like hell on small amounts of garlic,often wondered if its killing the good with the bad.

What kills just the bad and not the good.

Cant get probiotics in,maybe VERY slowly but one probiotic 4 days in a row and severe herx,no kid din around.

Battleing this for years now,even tried a few fecal transplants.

I know its fungal cause I herx on every anti fungal agent and get real sick when I eat carbs for a while.

Ive tried to correct this gut thing but haven't been able to.

Always to much herXing,maybe and hopefully this is what I need to allow me to treat.

Ive tried plenty of detox stuff before but never CSM.

Still a little better today,see what day 3 brings. Hope for us all,ya hope!

S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Im not sure what its called. Something like microbiome test, or comprehensive digestive stool analysis. So maybe yours was tested before? Did it show the levels of good bacteria and candida in your stool?

There is sadly nothing that kills only the bad and not the good. That is why its so hard to get rid of dysbiosis with killers.

Strange that you can do fecal transplants, but no probiotics? Are you sure you are reacting to the probiotics? Or would it more likely be prebiotics?
Maybe read this:
https://chriskresser.com/how-to-restore-healthy-gut-flora-over-the-long-term/
quote:
Now, here’s the really tricky thing or the catch-22 about this, which is generally the extent to which you react adversely to probiotics and fermented foods and prebiotics, which we’re going to talk about in a second, is roughly proportionate to how screwed up your gut is.
Are you still able to tolerate fiber or prebiotic foods? Like onions, leeks, beans etc?
And did you have any improvement on the fecal transplants?

I think its difficult to see candida seperate from dysbiosis. When you have candida, you have a screwed bacterial composition.
So what do the carbs feed? Could be candida yes, but dont rule out the bad bacteria yet since they go hand in hand.

Im not totally sure but i think some of the specific prebiotics feed just bacteria, not candida. Those are fructans (Inulin, FOS) and galactans. So perhaps you could do some experimentation with that?

shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

there were no flags in my stool analysis and Ive also had a couple of separate stool candida tests that all have come back negative.

Im not sure if its dysbosis from bacteria or fungal or both.

I do know for a fact that carbs feed them and send me off the deep end.

I do know I have a history of HEAVY atbx use, and a history of herding bad on any anti fungal agent I have tried and I have tried a bunch.

And thats what I base my diagnosis on,self diagnosed.

Negative tests on Sibo,h pylori,gastric emptying,celiac ,and on and on.

I did three fecal transplants with no herxing and also no results bad or good.

Havent a clue why I could do fecal transplants but can't tolerate probiotics.

I do know how severe I herx so just maybe Im not eliminating toxins well enough,don't know.

Im at a loss,worn out beyond belief but will keep trying.

Hopefully I can continue with the CSM and see what happens.

I will admitt to having not trying one thing and that is fermented foods to repopulate my gut because most of what I read on yeast says not to eat fermented food although there is a lot of contradicting info on that.

If I get no where with the CSM I will try fermented foods next.

Not much to lose and maybe some clues to gain as to whats going on.Be nice to catch a break.

Thanks for all input,God bless.

TF
Member # 14183

Joe, just be sure you try only one thing at a time.

That is very important. You can be tempted to try two things at a time. I have been. But, it just adds confusion.

Hopefully the CSM is going to give you good results. Keep us posted!

S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Yes like TF says, only one thing at a time.

However if fermented foods are on your wishlist, you may want to start preparing already. Kefir is quick to make, but sauerkraut takes 3-4weeks of fermentation. So if you want to make it yourself, dont wait too long.

Im not sure why there are stories that candida feeds on fermented foods. Perhaps they mean some kind of yeast fermentation (wine beer etc) and not lactic acid fermentation.

So you have a negative stool test on candida. So what makes you think you have it in the first place? Dont make the mistake to chase ghosts. A bad reaction to diflucan is not a confirmation you have candida.

Yes its very strange you can tolerate fecal transplants. Since they are just pure highly concentrated probiotics for your gut. The only thing that could make it different is the way of administration (oral vs rectal) and the possible addition of prebiotics to the probiotics.
I assume you did the transplant correctly? Before the transplant: no fiber and sugar for 1-2weeks, a couple of days of water fasting, and a water enema to clear out old fecal matter. After the transplant start feeding the bacteria with good fiber (prebiotics).
And i presume you werent taking any killers (including abx and herbals), right? Because why even bother with trying to establish new colonies if you are killing them off immediately...

shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

No worries ,I barely can do one thing at a time

I don't put much stock in the stool test

All I can do is try to put the clues together.

Heavy history of atbx, react to carbs, Herx on all antifungals.

I herx on things that are anti fungal and not anti bacterial.

Could it be bacterial too or parasites,could be but the anti fungal herxes are a big give away to me.

Never being able to get through these herxes is a clue that maybe I need to bind toxins more,hence the CSM.

What can I do but go by what my body is telling me,I would give anything to know whats wrong,wouldn't we all.

No,I did not prep as well as you mentioned for the fecal transplants.

What I did read is you need to do FMTs for a stretch of days for the flora to take hold,I only did three days.Not ruling a run of FMTs either.

Guess you have to keep trying.

One clue I do have I can't quite figure out. One of the best days I had in years health wise was the day after I did an upper GI barium test.

I felt so much better the next day,I told my girl I would drink barium everyday.

I don't know what the barium did,maybe absorbed toxins,don't know but I definitely had more energy and a clear head.

I thought maybe the barium not being food was feeding any bad flora,tried fasting after that but that didn't work.

Charcoal and clay haven't done anything for me either except back me up.

Its morning three heads still a little clearer.If I have another BM then I will do a third dose of CSM today.

Thanks for all the help

shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

wheeeew,neuro as hell.

Its day 4 and Im skipping the CSM dose today.

Going to let this clear out and start again,not going to dig myself in a hole.

Just a guess but Im hoping this neuro stuff is due to the detox.

Ive read that happens, have to be patient. We will see.

Unsettlling,was hoping to just start clearing out.

Anyone else have some sort of detox herxhiemer on CSM?

S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Sorry to hear that. Please go slow and dont force it.

I know i couldnt take it. The first day i took it was great, but then symptoms quickly spiraled out of control.

Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Resistant" yeast infection...show your doc this abstract (go to the link, highlight, cut and paste it into a MS word file and print it out for your LLMD):

Fluconazole assists berberine to kill fluconazole-resistant Candida albicans.

Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013 Dec

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24060867

The "kind" of berberine makes a difference. Stick with berberine chloride i.e., "Glycox".

Take it slow...watch for a histamine reaction and be prepared to counter it.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

Woke up Ok,seems to have cleared out so onward with another baby dose

I will give an update in a couple of weeks or so,sure am hoping.

S13, thank you and do you think you went downhill because it was detoxing you?

Thanks Marnie, Another thing to add to the list to try.

I don't think my yeast is resistant,it seems to die off with any anti fungal.

I just can't get them in me,its crazy severe die off.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement