LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Need help, dentist appointment tomorrow

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help, dentist appointment tomorrow
gigimac
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33353

Icon 5 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am having bad tooth pain. I have an appointment tomorrow. I am guessing I have an abscess or infected tooth. I have not taken antibiotics in months and don't plan to. I have recently gone through a terrible personal tragedy and can not and will not endure herxing right now. Unless, of course, my life were in jeopardy.

An extraction or abscess can be dealt with without antibiotics, right?

Also, any tips before I see the dentist? I have been terrified of seeing the dentist for years now. I am only going because the pain has become more than I can deal with.

Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I can't fully answer the Rx questions yet do urge you to take whatever antibiotic the dentist recommends -- and also liver support so that it won't clobber you.

It may be that antibiotics won't be necessary. But if so:

The antibiotics would be on board before you go so they are well into your system.

You do not want any infection to get "loose" into your blood stream and go to heart or brain. This would be potentially life threatening &/or could cause serious debility. Seriously. Take the antibiotics if offered -- but back up with support.

A good ND would be able to tell you if a certain herbal might work instead such as allicin or olive leaf extract. But - various herbs can change the thickness of the blood so for this, it's best to have expert guidance as to what would work in all ways.

But, there could be some nerve issue and maybe not infection.

Ask for NO EPI in the numbing shot. see next post.

Have adrenal support on board and plan to aggressively rest before and after (for some time). Have good healthy foods on hand or a friend / family member who will help you with all this.

A good time for some deep colored veggie juices and Quinoa FLAKES that can be made with just a little hot water.

As for being "terrified" be up front with them about that (and then find a softer term that might still fit for your own brain -- as the brain will lock onto words and "hear" those as orders, so to speak),

maybe call ahead and ask if they might have some kind of hypnosis training or calming visualization sort of conversation.

Also start now REFRAMING how you expect this to go, emotion wise. Go to your "zen" place, do whatever calming kinds of breathing you can, keeping rhythm,

call ahead about what kind of background music they have and if you might take your own CD to put into their machine . . . or a personal mp3 player and ear phones.

Do you have someone to drive you? Hope so and I hope they are balanced with humor and compassion.

My guess is that some of the fear is wrapped up in the adrenal issues, the scope of what our bodies have to endure and not much room for anymore stress added . . .

maybe sound, lights, smells . . . you can practice with a movie in your mind as to how this might be more advantageous to you but also ask them to work with you on this. It's what you need, tell them.

Take a break if you can during the procedure - set on some kind of signal so they will stop for a minute or so if you need that - or if your ears need that.

Ear plugs are not advised as that can make sound worse inside the head but outer, smaller, over the ear muffs can help or a noise cancel set but if the muffs are too large the pillow can get in the way.

if you need your own neck pillow, take it.

as you can tell, I've not had fear issues but sensory issues. I've not even been able to go to a dentist in over five years and my mouth is a mess. But the sensory issues make it unsafe for me and for them.

When you talk to them about your needs, if they are more sensory, more exhaustion, more neurology -- or whatever, stress that. If actual fear, also let them know. But, so often, fear is not really the kind of fear so many think it is and the patient is then treated like a child.

For many with lyme, the concern is so much about how hard all this is for the various reasons stated (from my experiences) -- or other. The more specific you can be, the better they can be in caring for your needs and understanding.

And if you feel fear, also "check in" with your adrenals. What might soothe that system?

For instance, if you have tinnitus, it is common for patients to be told by ear experts to tell the dentist to stop when they need to so their ears can get a little break, when possible.

I'm glad you can go. See them, feel their presence as wanting to help you. Be sure of their expertise and that they are there with magic wands to correct and help healing start.

Picture them in Fairy Godmother outfits. Go for it.
-

[ 09-10-2015, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Epinephrine is in many anesthetics (not sure about anesthesia, though). Some discussion on why epinephrine (EPI) can be a rough ride for someone with lyme (especially if they have adrenal issues):

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/120035

EPI & medical / dental procedures
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Backing up, they are unlikely to do any procedure tomorrow as it sounds like you aren't sure exactly what the "bad tooth" entails. They'll need to assess before scheduling an appointment.

So, tomorrow sounds like it's just meeting with the expert team who is there to help you - ? - the time set aside for the appointment might be a clue.

Treat your needs with the understanding that it's just what it is in regarding to your neurology, sensory and adrenal capacity. Lovingly, set in place what you need so that this can work for you.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too. Timed away from Rx, though, so that the Rx can reach proper medicinal blood levels.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
These top my list of herbs with antimicrobial properties. Mentioned above, as some herbs can change the thickness of the blood that could hamper a procedure in a way. A ND would best know, maybe the dentist.

Best to know in advance how a particular herb will affect you. Many will increase urine output and that can be tricky when in the dental chair.

Of course, if you take allicin, your breath could knock them over but it might work AFTERWARD.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/119197?#000000

Topic: Garlic vs Allicin

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/119089?#000000

ANDROGRAPHIS paniculata - LINKS SET

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=121034;p=0

BERBERINE – LINKS SET

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030549;p=0

OLIVE LEAF EXTRACT – LINKS

Seagate has a nice liquid OLE, too. Soothing for the mouth.
-

gigimac
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Keebler, it is so awesome of you to give such a detailed and kind response. I will be glad when I can get this tooth pain behind me.
Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dental infections can become systemic, so I agree, take whatever the dentist says is required.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
gigimac,

Hope it went swimmingly. ?
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement