LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » The Spirocheticidal & AntiBiofilm Compounds Thread (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Spirocheticidal & AntiBiofilm Compounds Thread
WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WakeUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All--
This thread keeps track of any and all "spirocheticidal" (i.e. spirochete killing) compounds and anti biofilm compounds, including herbs or drugs that have even small shreds of scientific proof that they actually kill spirochetes, cysts or biofilm.

Biofilm is often present in resistant infections, and it is created through a process known as quorum sensing(QS), where different microbes communicate to create a "hardened" community that is resistant to drugs. The good news is that many chemicals in plants interfere with quorum sensing, meaning that QS is a weak point that we Lymies can attack with more research on QSI (quorum sensing inhibitor) plants!!

QS is different depending on whether the bacteria is gram negative or gram positive. For example, Gram-positive bacteria primarily use the oligopeptide signaling systems whereas Gram-negative bacteria primarily uses the LuxR/I-type QS system. Lyme is very weakly gram negative, but it is unknown what type of quorum sensing is involved in Lyme biofilm, and it merits more research since QS is an achilles heel. We need to test QSI compounds on cultured Borrelia biofilm!!

This thread should NOT be used for self treatment because some of the compounds of interest may be toxic.

The evidence/research we compile on this thread could be used for potential crowd funding research initiatives by interested scientists. Yes-- we patients can have an impact by researching these plant based compounds to create a target list of compounds for further in vitro study!!

Please list the compound in bold or underlined if possible, and then cite any article or professional associated with the compound, herb or drug you may list.

THANKS-- AND WE WILL FIND A CURE IF WE WORK TOGETHER!!

[ 10-05-2015, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

Posts: 696 | From New York | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WakeUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SAPONINS
Saponins are soap-like substances that can cause lysis of bacteria. Lysis is the disintegration of a cell by rupture of the cell wall or membrane (lytic action).

The scientific evidence for the spirochete killing power of saponins was provided in this 1917 paper (on pubmed) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19868094

Quote:
" Neufeld and von Prowazek found that spirochetes, unlike bacteria in general, are highly susceptible to the lytic action of ...saponin, and they considered that this phenomenon was of differential diagnostic value in determining plant and animal organisms.

Their observations were confirmed by Gonder, who found, however, that spirochetes, especially treponemata, offer a great deal of resistance at the beginning, but finally undergo lysis, with their cell bodies swollen up or macerated.

In the present experiment we have found that these substances not only bring about cytolysis of the spirochetes in higher concentrations, but also kill them without causing a gross destruction of the cells in very high dilutions; thus, sodium cholate in 1: 5,000, sodium glycocholate and taurocholate in 1: 2,500 each, saponin 1:7,500. "

Saponins are in the following plants and herbs:

Sarsaparilla (smilax)
Astragalus
Panax Notoginseng
Gymnema sylvestre
Licorice
Horsechestnut
Asparagus ferns
Ginseng(chinese and korean)
Garlic
Alfalfa
Fenugreek
Bacopa Monierri
Wild Yam
Red Onions
Agave, Yucca and Prickly Pear
Paprika
Sea Cucumber (animal source)
Quinoa, amaranth and oats (unwashed)
Red wine (not white)
Lily of the Valley
Soy beans, green peas, lima beans, navy beans, kidney beans, chick peas
Spanish saffron-- Crocus sativus
Acacia nilotica --Gum arabic
Gotu Kola

(Note-- I admit that I tried the Bacopa herb a while back and it did improve my memory in just a few days.)

(breaking up the text for easier reading for many here)
Note--- Hi Robin-- Lets spend our time ADDING COMPOUNDS to this list, rather than editing in more white spaces, which is extremely time consuming. I for one dislike too many paragraph returns, and I find it MORE difficult to read. Thanks...

[ 10-17-2015, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

Posts: 696 | From New York | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

GRAPEFRUIT SEED EXTRACT- citrus x paradisi, family Rutaceae
Grapefruit seed extract has both spirochete killing power and quorum sensing inhibition power. Grapefruit is of the family Rutaceae. The antimicrobial properties of grapefruit seed extract and pulp were discovered in 1972 by Jacob Harish, a physicist and immunologist, as a result of his curiosity about the bitterness of grapefruit seeds.

NOTE: Grapefruit seed extract may not be well absorbed into the bloodstream, though. Buhner does not recommend it for Lyme.

Scientific evidence for the spirocheticidal properties of GSE can be found in this scientific paper by the Brorson cousins:

"Grapefruit Seed Extract is a Powerful in vitro Agent Against Motile and Cystic Forms of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato,"BY O. Brorson and S.H. Brorson
LINK: http://tinyurl.com/ol5jpvc

"When the susceptibility testing for mobile spirochetes was performed in distilled water, the rate of conversion was strongly dependent on the GSE concentration.
After incubation for 1 h at 34 degrees C the number of spirochetes converted to cysts ranged from none at GSE concentration of 0.165%--0.0052%, 10% at 0.0028%, 20% at 0.0013%, 95% at 0.00064%, and > 95% in the control when examined in DFM.
By TEM, the dilution of 0.0013% showed a very few cysts; the dilution of 0.00064% showed many normal cysts but not as many as in the control. Susceptibility testing of normal mobile borrelia exposed to GSE at 34 degrees C for 1 h revealed motile bacteria at concentrations ≤ 0.01%.
-------
In addition to killing spirochetes, Grapefruit Seed Extract also inhibits quorum sensing, which is a key mechanism of biofilm growth:

"Plant-Derived Natural Products as Sources of Anti-Quorum Sensing Compounds" by Chong-Lek Koh,1 Choon-Kook Sam,1 Wai-Fong Yin,2 Li Ying Tan,2 Thiba Krishnan,2 Yee Meng Chong,2 and Kok-Gan Chan2,*

LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3690052/

".....grapefruit extract also contains some bioactive compounds such as furocoumarins, carotenoids, limonoids, pectin and coumarin that have antibacterial and antifungal activities [55]. Furocoumarins were shown to have strong inhibition against both AI-1 and AI-2 activities, as well as hinder the formation of biofilm in E. coli, S. typhimurium and P. aeruginosa."

-------------
According to The Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine, Volume 5, No. 3, USA, 1990, an international research team examined the effect of GSE on 770 strains of bacteria and 93 strains of fungus and compared this with 30 effective antibiotics and 18 proven fungicides. GSE was found to perform as well as any and all of the tested agents.

---------------------
Bio Research Laboratories of Redmond, Washington, USA, tested GSE, a commercial chlorine bleach, and colloidal silver against Candida albicans, Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella typhi, Streptococcus faecium, and E. coli. GSE proved superior and the test report concluded:

"All microorganisms tested were inhibited with moderate levels of GSE liquid disinfectant. High levels of chlorine bleach inhibited the test organisms, but moderate levels were not effective. Because the GSE liquid was inhibitory at much lower levels, it may be assumed that it is ten to one hundred times more effective than chlorine against the organisms used in this study. On average, GSE proved to be ten times more effective than the colloidal silver."
----------------
At the University of Georgia, tests were conducted to evaluate Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) as a disinfectant in tests against E. Coli, Salmonella sps., and Staph aureus. According to Roger Wyatt, Ph.D., and Microbiologist for the university, "Our studies indicate excellent potential for these products (GSE). ...The toxicological that I have reviewed indicated that this product and the active ingredient poses very low toxicity. As you know this is important because most disinfectants that are currently used in either animal or human environments have moderate to high toxicity and extreme care must be exercised when these products are used... In view of the reports that we have discussed, the wide spectrum of activity that GSE offers (antiviral, antibacterial; Gram positive and Gram negative, antimycotic, and antiprotozoan) will undoubtedly aid in its acceptability."

[ 06-01-2018, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

CAT'S CLAW (SAMENTO) Uncaria tomentosa and Uncaria guianensis
Peer review literature/science--- Effective against:
Biofilm- dramatically shrinks Lyme biofilm colonies according to a study by Dr. Eva Sapi-- see charts and pictures in the link below)
LINK: http://www.townsendletter.com/July2010/sapi0710.html

In D. Klinghardt's work this product has shown consistent action against Borrelia, Bartonella, Ehrlichiosis, Rickettsia, mycoplasma and other co- infections. Herxheimer reactions are expected and may occur at any stage of the treatment (on the first day of use or after many months) and repeatedly.

Another study:
"In Vitro Effect of Peruvian Antimicrobial Agents on Borrelia burgdorferi" by
Priyanka A.S. Theophilus M.S. Postgraduate Research Fellow Advisor
Eva Sapi Ph.D.
Lyme Disease Research Group, Department of Biology and Environmental Sciences, University of New Haven, West Haven, CT 06516
LINK: http://www.nutramedix.ec/Nutramedix-Priyanka.pdf

A third study:
"Current nutraceuticals in the management of osteoarthritis: a review," by Nahid Akhtar and Tariq M. Haqqi
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3400101/

"Cat's claw is a vine from the basin of the Amazon River. There are two species, U. tomentosa [Figure 1(C)] and U. guianensis [Figure 1(D)] that are traditionally used in South America for their anti-inflammatory properties. Cat's claw bark contains oxindole alkaloids (virtually absent in U. guianensis), polyphenols (flavonoids, proanthocyanidins, and tannins), quinovic acid α-glycosides, pentacyclic alkaloids, and sterols [Ganzera et al. 2001]. Traditionally, the bark of cat's claw is prepared as a decoction, said to be beneficial in the treatment of arthritis, bursitis, lupus, chronic fatigue syndrome, and for stomach and intestine disorders [Foster, 1996; reviewed in Williams, 2001]. The most investigated of the active constituents in U. tomentosa extract for immune-modulating and anti-inflammatory effects are pentacyclic oxindole alkaloids [Williams, 2001]. "

[ 10-17-2015, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

TNT
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this thread is a great idea, WakeUp! It's interesting that some of the items already mentioned are things that helped me stay functional before I got a diagnosis.
Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Wake up,

Good idea. Many here have trouble with eyes and can only track short paragraphs of about 3 or 4 finished lines maximum (about 5-6 in the compose mode)

(longer lists usually work up to about six or so). To add space breaks, if you would be so kind, you can click on to the tiny paper & pencil icon. This way more can read what you post as it is important. Solid text can be a sea of grey squiggles for those with nystagmus or other eye spasm issues as lyme often causes.

http://tinyurl.com/

To shorten any long URLs that take a thread "wide"
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
To complement the other detail above.

When considering herbal / nutritional / adjunct methods, because lyme is so very complex & unique, as are possible coinfections:

if at all possible - because each person & each case is different - it's best to consult with an ILADS-educated LL ND (lyme literate naturopathic doctor) (or similar) who has completed four years of post-graduate medical education in the field of herbal and nutritional medicine -

- and someone who is current with ILADS' research & presentations, past and present, and has completed the ILADS Physician Training Program (see: www.ilads.org )

so they really know all they can about the science of lyme . . . how lyme (& other TBD) act and what we can do about that in various ways.

Many LL NDs incorporate antibiotics (depending upon the licensing laws in their state). Some LLMDs and LL NDs have good working relationships.

When possible, it's great to have both a LLMD and LL ND and even better when they have a long-standing professional relationship.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/13964

How to find an ILADS-educated LL:

N.D. (Naturopathic Doctor);

L.Ac. (Acupuncturist);

D.Ay. (Doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine);

D.O.M. (Doctor of Oriental Medicine);

Herbal Safety considerations & reference books; etc.

Links to many articles and books by holistic-minded LL doctors of various degrees who all have this basic approach in common:

Understanding of the importance of addressing the infection(s) fully head-on with specific measures from all corners of medicine;

knowing which supplements have direct impact, which are only support and which are both.

You can compare and contrast many approaches with links to articles, books, methods . . .

BODY WORK methods / links (and why anyone who works on your spine MUST be LL to the degree they at least know to never suddenly twist neck or spine. Never. Ever. And that we should never be advised to do neck / head / shoulder stands.)
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

quote:
Originally posted by TNT:
I think this thread is a great idea, WakeUp! It's interesting that some of the items already mentioned are things that helped me stay functional before I got a diagnosis.

Thanks so much TNT! I have had Lyme for more than two decades and I must admit that I have at times even shared my many research findings with my ILADS doctor--- who was amazed at some of the stuff he learned from the research, and actually wanted copies of the research papers I uncovered (especially the Brorsons' work).

I do believe that we in the community will help to find a cure for ourselves if we keep our eyes and ears open for promising compounds! Please feel free to add compounds (in boldface if possible) to this list if you have found any scientific evidence (including educated anecdotes) about the compound.

I hope we can get a really long list of compounds (with links/scientific citations), that can maybe be used in the future for a crowd funding effort to test the compounds in vitro. ( Im particularly excited by compounds that degrade biofilm and inhibit quorum sensing. )

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

Keebler--
Thanks for your input. I would be so grateful if we could limit this thread as much as possible to a list of promising compounds with linked scientific evidence. I hope we can keep on topic now that you have stressed the need for readers to consult their physician, and you have given your editorial guidelines, tiny url etc.

Do you have any promising compounds to add to this list? Thanks

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

FENUGREEK (Trigonella foenum-graceum--- seed, compound Galactomannans )
Action against bacterial biofilm and quorum sensing. Also shows the ability to bind to the borrelia-like like endotoxins produced by Ecoli (ETEC) and V. cholerae by Inhibiting LT and CT binding to GM1 probably through the compound Galactomannans.

"Trigonella foenum-graceum (Seed) Extract Interferes with Quorum Sensing Regulated Traits and Biofilm Formation in the Strains of Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Aeromonas hydrophila," by Fohad Mabood Husain,1,2 Iqbal Ahmad,1 Mohd Shahnawaz Khan,3 and Nasser Abdulatif Al-Shabib2

LINK: http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2015/879540/

In another peer reviewed study, fenugreek reduced arthritis in rats:
"Effect of ethanol extract of Trigonella foenum graecum (Fenugreek) seeds on Freund's adjuvant-induced arthritis in albino rats." Suresh P1, Kavitha ChN, Babu SM, Reddy VP, Latha AK.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22395729
SUMMARY: The animals were sacrificed, and the cartilage tissue was isolated for estimation of lipid peroxidation (LPO), superoxide dismutase (SOD) and glutathione (GSH). Administration with both doses of T. foenum graecum (200 and 400 mg/kg) significantly (P < 0.05) decreased the paw oedema and restored body weight. ...... T. foenum graecum 400-mg/kg dose showed more prominent results compared to the 200-mg/kg dose of T. foenum graecum.

The results obtained in this study suggest that anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activities of T. foenum graecum may be the possible reason behind the observed anti-arthritic activity.

The ability of Fenugreek to bind toxins (see interesting chart of many plants in article:
"Antibacterial and Antidiarrheal Activities of Plant Products against Enterotoxinogenic Escherichia coli" by J. Daniel Dubreuil
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3847712/

"Inhibition of binding of the AB5-type enterotoxins LT-I and cholera toxin to ganglioside GM1 by galactose-rich dietary components." by Becker PM1, Widjaja-Greefkes HC, van Wikselaar PG.
LINK:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19919285

More on Fenugreek's ability to bind toxins:
"Inhibition of binding of the AB5-type enterotoxins LT-I and cholera toxin to ganglioside GM1 by galactose-rich dietary components," by Becker PM1, Widjaja-Greefkes HC, van Wikselaar PG.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19919285

[ 11-11-2015, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

BASIL, CHAPARRAL, CLOVE, CRANBERRY, OREGANO, POMEGRANATE, ROSEMARY, SAGE, SASSAFRAS, THYME and WITCH HAZEL
The above plants (5 from the Lamiaceae family) have shown anti-quorum sensing (bacterial biofilm inhibition) properties.

PEER REVIEW SCIENCE:
Quorum Sensing Inhibitory Activities of Various Folk-Medicinal Plants and the Thyme-tetracycline Effect, by
Maria M. Nagy, Georgia State University
LINK:
http://scholarworks.gsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1090&context=biology_diss

Also discussed in the link above was the thyme/ tetracycline synergy, in a 2010 doctoral dissertation by Maria Nagy of Georgia State University.

The above compounds might present opportunities for further crowd funding research with respect to inhibiting borrelia biofilms, which contribute to chronic (treatment resistant) Lyme disease

[ 11-12-2015, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

XYLITOL
Peer review studies show the common sweetener, xylitol to be effective in reducing oral bacterial biofilms. Some LLMD's are prescribing two teaspoons xilitol twice a day, in tandem with 500 mg of lactoferrin, also taken twice a day.

Effect of xylitol on an in vitro model of oral biofilm. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19178100

Chronic sinusitis is thought to often involve bacterial biofilms. This study showed significant improvement when infected sinuses were irrigated with saline plus xylitol and or a drop of baby shampoo.
Xylitol nasal irrigation in the management of chronic rhinosinusitis: A pilot study
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/lary.22176/abstract
----
The above studies hint that further research could be tailored to see if xylitol could inhibit borrelia biofilms.

[ 01-13-2016, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

N-ACETYLCYSTEINE (NAC)
"N-acetylcysteine as powerful molecule to destroy bacterial biofilms. A systematic review." By Dinicola S1, De Grazia S, Carlomagno G, Pintucci JP.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25339490

RESULTS: The studies analyzed, with score over 3, suggested a potential role for NAC as adjuvant molecule in the treatment of bacterial biofilms, with an excellent safety and efficacy profile. NAC, in combination with different antibiotics, significantly promoted their permeability to the deepest layers of the biofilm, overcoming the problem of the resistance to the classic antibacterial therapeutic approach.

CONCLUSIONS:
Overall, these results are encouraging to a more widespread clinical use of NAC, as adjuvant therapy for microbial infections followed by biofilm settle, which may occur in several body districts, such as the vaginal cavity.

[ 10-17-2015, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

ANDROGRAPHIS paniculata, of the Acanthaceae family
Valued in Ayurveda, Unani, and Siddha medicine. It is used to treat a very long list of illnesses and conditions, and is a centerpiece in the Buhner herbal protocol for Lyme. A. alata and A. lineata are used in human and veterinary medicine.

This herb is included in Klinghardt and Buhner's Lyme protocols. According to Klinghardt, scienctific evidence suggests that Andrographis: is anti-spirochetal; crosses blood brain barrier; protects heart muscle; anti-inflammatory; calming; potent modulating effect on mast cell and neutrophil activity; turns off inappropriate mast-cell allergic reactions in tissue; enhances liver function; and shows significant protective effects against inflammation-mediated neuro-degeneration of brain, spinal chord and CSF. Other published positive effects, according to Klinghardt, show Andrographis to be effective against filaria, leptospirosis and malaria, suggesting strong effect against Babesia."

One study included Andrographis among other Indian plants in screening for Ascaris lumbricoides, showing effectiveness. (FIND STUDY). Another study researched Andrographis' activity against roundworms and threadworms, with effective outcomes.(FIND STUDY)

Andrographis has also been shown to be effective in inhibiting (not degrading) bacterial biofilms:
"Synergistic Effect of 14-Alpha-Lipoyl Andrographolide and Various Antibiotics on the Formation of Biofilms and Production of Exopolysaccharide and Pyocyanin by Pseudomonas aeruginosa"
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3101388/

"Andrographolide interferes quorum sensing to reduce cell damage caused by avian pathogenic Escherichia coli."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25448450

[ 06-01-2018, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

FULVIC ACID
Peer review studies show effectiveness against oral bacterial biofilm

"Investigating the biological properties of carbohydrate derived fulvic acid (CHD-FA) as a potential novel therapy for the management of oral biofilm infections." by Sherry L1, Millhouse E, Lappin DF, Murray C, Culshaw S, Nile CJ, Ramage G.

CONCLUSIONS: Overall, CHD-FA was shown to possess broad-spectrum antibacterial activity, with a supplementary function of being able to down-regulate inflammation. These properties offer an attractive spectrum of function from a naturally derived compound, which could be used as an alternative topical treatment strategy for oral biofilm diseases. Further studies in vitro and in vivo are required to determine the precise mechanism by which CHD-FA modulates the host immune response.

LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24063298

[ 10-17-2015, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

LET' S TRY TO STAY ON TOPIC BY LISTING PROMISING COMPOUNDS WITH SCIENTIFIC LINKS ON THIS THREAD.

I WILL BE KEEPING A RUNNING COPY IN CASE THIS SITE GOES DOWN, OR THIS THREAD GETS DELETED, OR TOO MUCH THREAD SLIDING OCCURS.

WE NEED TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY AND DO OUR BEST RESEARCH TO HELP SCIENTISTS FIND A CURE!! PATIENTS CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

WE CAN BE INSTRUMENTAL IN HELPING TO FIND A CURE.

[ 10-27-2015, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

JAPANESE KNOTWEED - POLYGONUM CUSPITDATUM
This herb, high in resveratrol, is considered by the herbalist Mr. Buhner, to be one of the top Lyme disease treatment herbs, alongside Samento. Used by the following practitioners: Zhang, Buhner, Klinghardt.

Klinghardt has stated that Peer review literature/Science has shown Japanese knotweed to be effective against: Leptospirosis;Treponema denticola (spirochetes in oral flora); Bartonella (Buhner); Many gram neg and gram pos bacteria; Anti-viral;Hepatitis B (and C?).

Other published positive effects, according to Klinghardt:
Crosses blood brain barrier; anti-inflammatory; antimicrobial;
protects against microbial endotoxins; High content of resveratrol increases microcirculation(vasodilation and inhibits platelet aggregation; pos effect on eye,heart, skin (ideal synergist); Lowers cholesterol and lipids; Increases wound healing; Angiogenesis modulator; Ischemic heart disease; Potent antioxidant; iInhibits lipoxygenase (anti-inflammatory); Inhibition prostaglandin E; Inhibits nuclear factor kappa B (NF kB) which upregulated in Lyme causing a cascade of immune mediated cellular responses; Leukemia; Stimulates fibroblasts (proliferative effect); Rheumatoid arthritis; Psoriasis; Increases bone mass; Anti-aging; Reduces auto-immunity; Strongly neuroprotective-- Effects against: ALS, Alzheimer, Parkinson MS cerebral ischemia; Stimulates microcirculation in brain

Peer review articles also show effectiveness against biofilm:
"In vitro effects of a fraction separated from Polygonum cuspidatum root on the viability, in suspension and biofilms, and biofilm formation of mutans streptococci," by Song JH1, Yang TC, Chang KW, Han SK, Yi HK, Jeon JG.

CONCLUSIONS: Based on the preliminary phytochemical analysis, the activity of F1 (a fraction of the Knotweed root) may be related to the presence of anthraquinones, cardiac glycosides, terpenoids, and phenolics. These results indicate that F1 is probably useful in the control of oral biofilms and subsequent dental caries development.

LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17543483

[ 11-02-2015, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

BERBERIS ARISTATA (or VULGARIS), aka "BARBERRY" -- fam. Berberidaceae--active compound is BERBERINE
Antimicrobial, antibiofilm. A close relative of goldenseal and oregon grape, this plant is native to Great Britain/ Europe and as been used medicinally in Europe and Asia for hundreds of years. Currently used by Herbalist Jason Elias as a recommended Lyme supplement.

Barberry has also been used by many MDs in the 1900s as a cure for Syphilis, another spirochaetal infection, where it was referred to as "Berberis" in Ellingwood's Therapeutist, 1908.:
http://www.henriettes-herb.com/eclectic/journals/elth1908/12-syphilis.html

The active ingredient of Barberry is thought to be "Berberine." According to the website, herbsforlyme.com, berberine may be a natural solvent that inhibits the ability of biofilms to stick to epithelial tissue and fibronectin in the body; it may interfere with biofilm formation; and it may inhibit metabolism of bacteria. Berberine can create an upset stomach in some people. Fibronectin has been shown to play a large role in Lyme disease.

PEER REVIEW SCIENCE:

"Quorum Sensing Inhibition of Berberis vulgaris L. var. Asperma on Streptococcus mutans: In Vitro Anti-Biofilm Activity and Molecular Docking Studies," by Iman Adib Majlesi 1, Glenn G. Oyong 2, Naser Jafari 3, Maria Carmen S. Tan 4, Irving Chiong 4, and Marissa G. Noel 4

Results: ... Bioactive compounds from B. vulgaris L. var. Asperma fruit has QSI activity against S. mutans biofilm formation and can potentially be used as an alternative or in combination with oral prophylaxis agents against dental caries and periodontitis.
LINK: http://congress.tbzmed.ac.ir/TILC/Abstract/6493

"ANTIBACTERIAL ACTIVITY OF BERBERIS LYCIUM ROOT EXTRACT" by A. H. Irshad1*, A. H. Pervaiz2, Y. B. Abrar3, I. Fahelboum1, Bahlul Z. S. Awen
LINK: http://tru.uni-sz.bg/tsj/vol11N1_2013/A.H.Irshad.pdf

[ 04-12-2017, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD wanted me to take Lactoferrin along with the Xylitol. I can't give you a link to a study though...
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

quote:
Originally posted by WPinVA:
My LLMD wanted me to take Lactoferrin along with the Xylitol. I can't give you a link to a study though...

Yes--- I'll add lactoferrin into our running list of compounds which could use more scientific study.. Ill see if I can find any papers or studies, but the fact that your doctor is prescribing it means he must know that it could be helpful. Id love to know how much its costs to do a test on each compound-- i.e., to see how different dilutions of the compound affects burgdorferi growth or biofilms in a petri dish..otherwise known as in vitro. THANKS!!! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

USNEA (Usnea longissima, a lichen)
USNEA tincture is used in the NB Protocol
http://www.lyme-morgellons.com/nb-protocol.html

Has been used in traditional Asian medicine.. Has shown antibacterial activity in the following study:
http://www.ijabpt.com/pdf/97003-Abdur%20rauf%5B1%5D.pdf

"CONCLUSION
The study concludes that Usnea longissima has a potent antibacterial activity against various pathogenic bacteria. The chemical constituents present in the lichen like Usnic acid may be responsible for its antibacterial effect as it is seen that Usnea contains a yellow pigment Usnic
acid in its cortex, which is reported to inhibit bacterial pathogens such as Staphylococcus pneuomoniae in adults. Usnea appears to kill bacteria by disrupting their metabolic functions (Brodo, 1984; Dube, 1983). So, it can be concluded that after further exploring its pharmacological details, as this is just an in-vitro proof of its existing antibacterial efficacy, this drug can be used to drive antimicrobial agents to fight against the number of infectious diseases mainly against B.cereus, P.vulgaris and P.aeruginosa."

Another study cited the anti quorum sensing properties of Usnea:
"Secondary metabolite variability in lichen genus Usnea in India: A potential source for bioprospection" by P. Shukla1, 2*, D.K. Upreti1 and L.M. Tewari2
LINK: http://www.gjestenv.com/Current_Issue/vol_2/15_0102.pdf

...."Rowe et al. [12] and Cocchietto et al., [13] studied the wide-spectrum antibiotic properties of Usnea spp. Singh et al. [14] reported that novel herbo-metallic preparation (nanoparticles) using extracts of U. longissima can inhibit bacterial quorum sensing.

[ 10-04-2015, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

LACTOFERRIN
Demonstrated anti-biofilm, antimicrobial properties in peer reviewed studies. Currently being prescribed in tandem with Xylitol by at least one LLMD.

According to the website herbsforlyme.com, Lactoferrin binds to iron, depriving biofilm matrix of this essential mineral. Lactoferrin is often used in biofilm protocols without Lyme Disease. Use 100% Lactoferrin. Practitioners suggest buying the 250 mg. capsules, using brands like Symbiotics, Jarrow, or another single high quality lactoferrin supplement, with a starting dose of 125 MG OR LESS, as severe Herx. can result.
*If you are experiencing acute Lyme Disease, you may want to omit Lactoferrin, since it is derived from milk (some dried dairy products have been shown to culture and grow Lyme bacteria-- consult practitioner.

PEER REVIEW SCIENCE:

"Lactoferrin: A bioinspired, anti-biofilm therapeutic"
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3648868/

"Anti-biofilm efficacy of a lactoferrin/xylitol wound hydrogel used in combination with silver wound dressings."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21457463

"Antimicrobial effects of lactoferrin and cannabidiol on Borrelia burgdorferi" by Dylan Haenel
Department of Biology and Environmental Science/ Biotechnology
Eva Sapi Ph.D.
http://www.newhaven.edu/887913.pdf

Will update when I get more scientific links [Smile]

[ 01-04-2016, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

CHANCA PIEDRA (PHYLLANTHUS AMARUS, or PA)
Known as "break stone" this herb is a folk remedy for kidney stones and has been used in traditional medicine, ostensibly for Syphilis, a spirochete similar to Lyme. This herb may also play a role in breaking up calcium deposits surrounding and protecting the Bartonella bacteria, and should be investigated for use in Lyme and its co-infections.. Hardened calcium alginate deposits are also known to play a protective role outside of older Borrelia biofilm colonies.

Scientific Link:
"Medicinal plants with potential anti-arthritic activity" by
Manjusha Choudhary,1 Vipin Kumar,2 Hitesh Malhotra,1 and Surender Singh3
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4566784/

"Studies have proved that PA have anti-inflammatory [153], anti-microbial [154,155], anti-cancer [156], anti-fertility [157], hepatoprotective [158], anti-diabetic [159], anti-diarrheal [160], antioxidant [161], anti-oedemotgenic [162], diuretic [163] and chmoprotective [164] activity. The aqueous extract of whole plant at a dose of 100, 200, and 400 mg/kg shows anti-arthritic activity in male wistar rats."

INFORMATIONAL LINK:
"CHANCA PIEDRA," by Melody Elaine Thomas
http://www.herballegacy.com/Thomas_Medicinal.html

[ 06-28-2017, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

HOUTTUYNIA CORDATA, family Saururaceae
Currently used by Zhang, Buhner, Schaller and Cowden- who believe it effective against Bartonella. May improve Alzheimers cognitive deficits.

A study supervised by Dr. Eva Sapi showed Enula (Elecampane) to have synergy with Houttuynia in reducing Borrelia biofilm by 55% in vitro within 72 hours. This combination of herbs also reduced Borrelia round bodies by 61% in vitro.

"A current update on the phytopharmacological aspects of Houttuynia cordata Thunb." by Kumar M1, Prasad SK1, Hemalatha S1.
Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24600193

SUMMARY: Indigenous to North-East India and China. It is an aromatic medicinal herb belonging to family Saururaceae and is restricted to specialized moist habitats..... Among the important pharmacological activities reported includes, anti-mutagenic, anti-cancer, adjuvanticity, anti-obesity, hepatoprotective, anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, free radical scavenging, anti-microbial, anti-allergic, anti-leukemic, chronic sinusitis and nasal polyps activities.

And in view of Dr. MacDonald's recent research linking Alzeheimers with borrelia infection:

"Houttuynia cordata Improves Cognitive Deficits in Cholinergic Dysfunction Alzheimer's Disease-Like Models," by
Huh E1, Kim HG2, Park H3, Kang MS4, Lee B4, Oh MS2.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25009697

[ 06-01-2018, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

STEVIA-- Stevia rebaudiana -- leaf

Anti spirochete, anti-biofilm, anti-cyst.
A common sweetener, Stevia is being investigated for its anti-borrelia and anti biofilm properties. One study including Stevia resulted in a significant reduction in the numbers of spirochetal form by 60% and the cyst forms by 98%. Doxycycline reduced the spirochetal forms by 77% but showed a marked increase in the cyst form at higher concentration.

The Stevia brand referred to as brand "A" in the study below is most likely Nutrimedix brand liquid drops.

According to herbsforlyme.com, stevia "opens up the water channels within the biofilm matrix - channels which let in nutrition and let out waste. As per Eva Sapi - At full dose, use 7 drops of Stevia in a glass of water (on empty stomach). Start the dose with one drop and work it up very slowly to gauge Herxheimer's reaction. Stevia tricks the colony to open up the channels for nutrition - when channels are open, Antibiotics and antimicrobials can be effective inside the biofilm. Older biofilm is dense with a hard shell of iron, magnesium, and calcium. Medications shown to penetrate denser biofilm include tindazol, flagyl and doxy. Eva Sapi's talk on biofilm can be found on www.norvect.no in 2014." Pay 10 Euros to see the entire 2014 conference. VIew Dr. Sapi's biofilm lecture here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a03dvNMmmx0

PEER REVIEW SCIENCE:

"EFFECTIVENESS OF STEVIA REBAUDIANA WHOLE LEAF EXTRACT AGAINST THE VARIOUS MORPHOLOGICAL FORMS OF BORRELIA BURGDORFERI IN VITRO," by
P. A. S. Theophilus, M. J. Victoria, K. M. Socarras, K. R. Filush, K. Gupta, D. F. Luecke, E. Sapi*

LINKS:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26716015
http://www.akademiai.com/doi/pdf/10.1556/1886.2015.00031

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2017/01/25/study-finds-stevia-kills-lyme-disease-pathogen-better-than-antibiotics/

[ 01-26-2017, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

BANDEROL Otoba sp.,of the Myristicaceae plant family

Anti-spirochete, antibacterial, anti quorum sensing, anti-biofilm. Used with anecdotal success in the Cowden protocol. Author Dr. Horowitz showed the Cowden protocol to be a successful alternative to antibiotics in a study of more than 50+ patients. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Nt0VD28fk

Banderol, ostensibly a member of the Myristicaceae plant family, is related to the nutmeg and mace plants. Essential oils of Myristicaceae family have anti fungal action, and antimicrobial activity against Streptococcus mutans.[citation needed-- verify], and may also have anti biofilm properties..

PEER REVIEW SCIENCE:

The following study, supervised by Dr. Sapi, shows the inhibitory effects of the Peruvian herb Banderol on live borrelia spirochetes, round bodies and biofilm, in vitro:
"In Vitro Effect of Peruvian Antimicrobial Agents on Borrelia burgdorferi" by Priyanka A.S. Theophilus M.S. Postgraduate Research Fellow Advisor: Eva Sapi Ph.D.
Lyme Disease Research Group, Department of Biology and Environmental Sciences, University of New Haven, West Haven, CT 06516

A study showing anti quorum sensing effect of a plant related to Banderol:
"Malabaricone C from Myristica cinnamomea exhibits anti-quorum sensing activity," by Chong YM1, Yin WF, Ho CY, Mustafa MR, Hadi AH, Awang K, Narrima P, Koh CL, Appleton DR, Chan KG.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21910441

Another study of the anti-parasitic properties of nutmeg, a plant related to Banderol:
"Antihelmintic effects of nutmeg (Myristica fragans) on Anisakis simplex L3 larvae obtained from Micromesistius potassou," by López V1, Gerique J2, Langa E2, Berzosa C2, Valero MS2, Gómez-Rincón C2.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25890576

[ 01-04-2016, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

CINNAMON (Cinnamomum cassia--Chinese Cinnamon & Cinnamomum zeylanicum verum-- True Sri Lankan Cinnamon)

Cassia, also known as Chinese Cinnamon-- the most widely sold form of cinnamon in the US. Cinnamomum cassia is considered to be one of the top 50 Chinese medicinal herbs,and it contains cinnamic aldehyde, a potent biofilm inhibitor, but in large quantities, Chinese cinnamon may damage the liver due to high levels of coumarin.

Sri Lankan True Cinnamon-- Cinnamomum zeylanicum leaf oil has been the subject of recent claims as a treatment for Lyme (the Sri Lankan cinnamon LEAF oil is diluted 20 drops to 1/4 cup of olive oil, and taken 1-2 drops per day) Sri Lankan cinnamon ostensibly has less of the liver damaging chemical.

Interestingly, the Sri Lankan Cinnamon leaf oil contains much more eugenol, which may account for the claimed success of this oil. The essential oils from Cinnamon cassia (Chinese) contain 80–90% cinnamaldehyde with little or no eugenol, which is different from Sri Lankan C. zeylanicum bark, which contains 60–80% cinnamaldehyde and approximately 2% eugenol, and essential oils from its leaves were found to be rich in eugenol (70–75%).

(Note: For possible study only-- do not ingest essential oils without guidance!)

Studies on Chinese Cinnamon and Sri Lankan True Cinnamon:

"In vitro antimicrobial activities of cinnamon bark oil, anethole, carvacrol, eugenol and guaiazulene against Mycoplasma hominis clinical isolates" by Radek Slehaa,b, Petra Mosioa, Marketa Vydrzalovaa, Alexandra Jantovskaa, Vanda Bostikovab, Jaroslava Mazurovaa
LINK: http://biomed.papers.upol.cz/getrevsrc.php?identification=public&mag=bio&raid=323&type=fin&ver=6

"Selected Antimicrobial Essential Oils Eradicate Pseudomonas spp. and Staphylococcus aureus Biofilms," by Nicole L. Kavanaugh and Katharina Ribbeckcorresponding author
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3346404/

"Inhibitory effects of citral, cinnamaldehyde, and tea polyphenols on mixed biofilm formation by foodborne Staphylococcus aureus and Salmonella enteritidis." by
Zhang H1, Zhou W2, Zhang W2, Yang A2, Liu Y2, Jiang Y2, Huang S2, Su J3.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24853514

"Effect of trans-cinnamaldehyde on inhibition and inactivation of Cronobacter sakazakii biofilm on abiotic surfaces." by
Amalaradjou MA1, Venkitanarayanan K.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21333138

"Effect of Cinnamon Oil on Quorum Sensing-Controlled Virulence Factors and Biofilm Formation in Pseudomonas aeruginosa" by Manmohit Kalia,1 Vivek Kumar Yadav,1 Pradeep Kumar Singh,1 Deepmala Sharma,2 Himanshu Pandey,3 Shahid Suhail Narvi,4 and Vishnu Agarwal1,*
Livia Leoni, Editor
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4532483/

"Cinnamon from the selection of traditional applications to its novel effects on the inhibition of angiogenesis in cancer cells and prevention of Alzheimer's disease, and a series of functions such as antioxidant, anticholesterol, antidiabetes, antibacterial, antifungal, nematicidal, acaracidal, and repellent activities," by Rafie Hamidpour,a,∗ Mohsen Hamidpour,b Soheila Hamidpour,a and Mina Shahlaria
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4488098/

"Medicinal properties of ‘true’ cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum): a systematic review," by Priyanga Ranasinghe,corresponding author1 Shehani Pigera,1 GA Sirimal Premakumara,2 Priyadarshani Galappaththy,1 Godwin R Constantine,3 and Prasad Katulanda3
Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3854496/

[ 10-02-2015, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

GUAIACUM officinale, of the Zygophyllaceae family
An endangered species of tropical tree in the caltrop family, its flower is the national flower of Jamaica.

Spirochete killer traditionally used in Europe.

Used alongside samento, sarsaparilla and teasel in Dr. Nicola's herbal Lyme formula.
Link: http://www.townsendletter.com/April2011/naturolyme0411.html

Peer review studies:
"Anti-rheumatoid and anti-oxidant activity of homeopathic Guaiacum officinale in an animal model." by Sarkar A1, Datta P1, Das AK1, Gomes A2.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24685418

SUMMARY: These findings suggest that homeopathic G. officinale possesses anti-rheumatic and anti-oxidant activity in experimental animal and these activities may be more significant in higher potencies.

[ 10-26-2015, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

TEASEL ROOT dipsacus asper or sylvestris, of the family Caprifoliaceae, in Chinese "Zu Duan"
Used as a part of the BLT herbal formula for Lyme/Bartonella, with reportedly good results. Also used by Klinghardt, who has stated that it should be given in high doses over 3 months (1-2 tsp 3-4 times/day). According to Klinghardt, Teasel has been shown first by German ethno-botanist Wolf Storl,author of "Healing Lyme Disease Naturally", to be highly effective against Borrelia Burgdorferi.

In China, Teasel is known as Zu Duan, and it means "restores "what is broken." Dipsacus is a genus of flowering plant in the family Caprifoliaceae. Dipsacus are native to Europe, Asia and northern Africa, and are considered to be an invasive species in America.

But only the "ethyl acetate" extract of dipsacus sylvestris inhibited borrelia burgdorferi in vitro, according to the following study:

"Growth inhibiting activity of lipophilic extracts from Dipsacus sylvestris Huds. roots against Borrelia burgdorferi s. s. in vitro," by Liebold T1, Straubinger RK, Rauwald HW.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21901989

Abstract
Fresh first year roots from Dipsacus sylvestris HUDS. were extracted with 70% ethanol, ethyl acetate as well as dichloromethane. Extracts were solubilized in water (lipophilic extracts with addition of polysorbate 80) and tested for their activity against Borrelia burgdorferi sensu stricto in vitro during an eight-day period using amoxicillin as standard. The hydroethanolic extract showed no growth inhibition whereas significant growth inhibiting activity could be shown in the two less polar fractions for the first time. Strongest inhibition was found in the ethyl acetate extract. The effect of polysorbate 80 on bacterial growth was examined and found to be negligible. As the nature of bioactive constituents has not been clarified yet, a micellar electrokinetic capillary chromatography fingerprint analysis for a methanolic extract was applied including loganin, chlorogenic acid, cantleyoside and caffeic acid as marker substances.

[ 11-02-2015, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

SARSAPARILLA (Smilax ornata, Smilax glabra of the family Smilacaceae. Known as "Tu fu ling" in China)
Used as a part of the BLT herbal formula for Lyme/Bartonella, with reportedly good results.

Also recommended by Klinghardt, who has stated that there is peer review literature/Science to show that Sarsaparilla is effective against:
Leptospirosis; Treponema pallidum (syphilis); liver flukes (clonorchis sinensis); trypanosome; shigella and salmonella (common in chronic Lyme); leprosy and TB; fungal skin infections.

Klinghardt also states that Sarsaparilla: contains Lyme endotoxin binding compounds, lessens Herxheimer reactions; Improvement in mental and psychological parameters in chronic syphilis; Modulates immune responses; Arthritis anti-inflammatory; Psoriasis and eczema; Neuroprotective (crosses blood brain barrier); Reduces skin breakdown; Pain relief; Improves liver function; Lessens fatigue; Increases libido; Asthma, hay fever, rhinitis; Cervical spondylosis (Lyme related disc degeneration and facet
joint arthritis); Chronic liver disease (dramatic) including Hepatitis C; Reversal of cognitive impairment; Autoimmune dysregulation; Protects from anti-androgenic substances in Lyme (i.e. gossypol)
Klinghardt's dosage: 425-500 mg caps 1-3 caps 3-4 times/day. Increase slowly to full dosage, stay on it for 2 months, then slowly reduce to maintenance dose of 1 caps 3 times/day. At least 1 year

Sarsaparilla contains spirochete killing "saponins" and has been used traditionally as a treatment for another spirochetal disease, syphilis, where success rates have been reported of up to 90% in China. The treatment consisted of a daily dose of 250 g of "tufuling" (smilax glabra) decocted and drunk warm 30 minutes before breakfast, lunch and dinner. Each course of treatment lasted 20 days; and efficacy was evaluated after 3 courses of treatment. A blood test for syphilis was performed after each course of treatment and again every 3 and 6 months during the first and second year of follow up respectively. According to Dr. Wang, 27 of the 30 patients (90%) were cured after tufuling treatment, as evidenced by disappearance of symptoms and negative blood tests after a 2-year follow-up.
INFORMATIONAL LINK:: http://leungschineseherbnews.blogspot.com/2007/08/treatment-of-syphilis-with-tufuling.html

Smilax glabra, the Chinaroot, tufuling (土茯苓) or sarsaparilla, is a plant species in the genus Smilax. It is native to China, the Himalayas, and Indochina.Smilax glabra is used in Chinese herbology. In India it is known as nannari.

Syphilis however, is far less genetically complex than is Borrelia. It is unknown whether smilax works against cyst, biofilm and l-forms of Borrelia.

"Sarsaparilla in Syphilis" by H. Wilson
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2557820/

"A NOTE ON THE THERAPEUTIC VALUE OF SARSAPARILLA IN SYPHILIS," by Cullingworth CJ.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20762607

[ 11-02-2015, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

HYDRIODATE OF POTASSIUM
A form of iodine? Used(3 to10 grains daily), in combination with Sarsaparilla decoction(1.5 ounces 3 times per day) and "Balsam of Peru" ointment, as an effective remedy for secondary and tertiary (late stage) syphilis in the 19th century. Physicians noted many cures, but also several blood clots on the brain leading to fatalities at high doses.

Could be studied for its effectiveness against Lyme spirochete in vitro.

Read the interesting medical case studies (with cures and fatalities) here:

The London Lancet: A Journal of British and Foreign Medical and Chemical Science.
LINK: http://tinyurl.com/nnscvum

[ 10-22-2015, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

ROSE, LAVENDER, GERANIUM, CITRUS & ROSEMARY ESSENTIAL OILS
Anti-quorum sensing,antibacterial. Note: Do not ingest essential oils without professional supervision.

PEER REVIEW SCIENCE:
"Inhibition of Quorum-sensing Signals by Essential Oils" by Mira Agnes Szabo, Gabor Zoltan Varga, Judit Hohmann, Zsuzsanna Schelz, Erno ̋ Szegedi, Leonard Amaral, and Jozsef Molnar

The effect of essential oils on bacterial growth and QS were evaluated using the sensor strain Chromobac- terium violaceum CV026 and N-acyl homoserine lactone (AHL) producing Escherichia coli ATTC 31298 and the grapevine colonizing Ezf 10-17 strains.

Of the tested oils, rose, geranium, lavender and rosemary oils were the most potent QS inhibitors. Eucalyptus and citrus oils moderately reduced pigment production by CV026, whereas the chamomile, orange and juniper oils were ineffective.

LINK: http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Leonard_Amaral/publication/26892612_Inhibition_of_quorum-sensing_signals_by_essential_oils/links/00b7d5369cd6bd7fd4000000.pdf

[ 11-12-2015, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

QUERCETIN
Quercetin is a flavonoid (plant pigment) found in fruits and vegetables, especially onions, citrus, and apples. Other sources include dark berries, grapes, olive oil, green tea and red wine. Quercetin is also a "tyrosine kinase inhibitor," and may thus have anti-cancer and anti- filarial(parasite) properties.

"Quercetin Influences Quorum Sensing in Food Borne Bacteria: In-Vitro and In-Silico Evidence"
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26248208

...."Quercetin (80μg/ml) showed the significant reduction in QS-dependent phenotypes like violacein production, biofilm formation, exopolysaccharide (EPS) production, motility and alginate* production in a concentration-dependent manner. Synergistic activity of conventional antibiotics with quercetin enhanced the susceptibility of all tested pathogens."

* NOTE: alginate is a key component of Lyme biofilm

A second study:
"Quercetin sensitizes fluconazole-resistant candida albicans to induce apoptotic cell death by modulating quorum sensing," by Singh BN1, Upreti DK2, Singh BR3, Pandey G4, Verma S4, Roy S5, Naqvi AH3, Rawat AK1.

LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25645848

NOTE: Bromelian may increase the uptake of Quercetin.

[ 10-11-2016, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

ZINGERONE
Zingerone is a chemical with anti biofilm properties, found in cooked ginger.

"Zingerone silences quorum sensing and attenuates virulence of Pseudomonas aeruginosa," by Kumar L1, Chhibber S1, Kumar R2, Kumar M2, Harjai K3.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25704369

...."Anti-quorum sensing dietary phytochemicals may prove to be a safe and viable choice as anti-virulent drug candidates. Previously, our lab proved zingerone as potent anti-biofilm agent hence; further its anti-virulent and anti-quorum activities were evaluated. Zingerone, besides decreasing swimming, swarming and twitching phenotypes of P. aeruginosa PAO1, reduced biofilm forming capacity and production of virulence factors..."

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

MORINGA OLEIFERA of the Moringaceae family
Leaves and pods are used widely in Asian cuisine.

Peer review:
"Antibiofilm potential of flavonoids extracted from Moringa oleifera seed coat against Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Candida albicans." by
Onsare JG1, Arora DS.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25410525

Conclusions; The bioactive component from M. oleifera seed coat has exhibited antibiofilm potential against the test organisms belonging to Gram positive, Gram negative and yeast.

"Oxidative DNA damage protective activity, antioxidant and anti-quorum sensing potentials of Moringa oleifera," by Brahma N. Singhc, B.R. Singha, R.L. Singhb, D. Prakashd, R. Dhakareyd, G. Upadhyayd, H.B. Singhc
LINK: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278691509000611

"Lyme Disease and Moringa Oleifera," by Dr. Howard W. Fisher
INFORMATIONAL LINK: http://www.fisherclinic.com/articles/Moringa%20and%20Lyme%20Disease.pdf

[ 10-19-2015, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

POMEGRANATE- Punica granatum, Lythraceae family
"Screening of traditional Chinese medicinal plants for quorum-sensing inhibitors activity," Koh KH1, Tham FY.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21439518

..."Eight of the selected Traditional Chinese Medicine (80%) yielded QS inhibitors: Prunus armeniaca, Prunella vulgaris, Nelumbo nucifera, Panax notoginseng (root and flower), Punica granatum, Areca catechu, and Imperata cylindrica. Compounds that interfere with QS are present in TCM herbs and these medicines may be a rich source of compounds to combat pathogenic bacteria and reduce the development of antibiotic resistance."

"Quorum Sensing Inhibitory Activities of Various Folk-Medicinal Plants and the Thyme-tetracycline Effect," by Maria M. Nagy, Biology Dissertation, Georgia State University
LINK: http://scholarworks.gsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1090&context=biology_diss

Screening of certain medicinal plants from India for their anti-quorum sensing activity.
Zahin M1, Hasan S, Aqil F, Khan MS, Husain FM, Ahmad I.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21250604

"Punica granatum: A review on its potential role in treating periodontal disease,"Divyashree Prasad and Ravi Kunnaiah
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4158581/

"The Pomegranate: Effects on Bacteria and Viruses That Influence Human Health," by Amy B. Howell1 and Doris H. D'Souza2
LINK: http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2013/606212/

[ 11-12-2015, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

CURRY TREE --Murraya koenigii
The curry tree (Murraya koenigii or Bergera koenigii) is a tropical to sub-tropical tree in the family Rutaceae (the rue family, which includes rue, citrus, and satinwood), which is native to India and Sri Lanka.

Its leaves are used in many dishes in India and neighbouring countries. Often used in curries, the leaves are generally called by the name 'curry leaves,' although they are also literally 'sweet neem leaves' in most Indian languages (as opposed to ordinary neem leaves which are very bitter and in the family Meliaceae, not Rutaceae).

The study below identified Murraya koenigii essential oil as the most promising against quorum sensing and biofilm when tested against mace, nutmeg, curcumin and fenugreek oils:

"Quorum Sensing Inhibitory and Anti-Biofilm Activity of Essential Oils and Their in vivo Efficacy in Food Systems," by Jamuna Bai Aa & Ravishankar Rai Vittala
LINK:
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/08905436.2014.932287

...."The essential oil of M. koenigii showed the most promising QS inhibitory and anti-biofilm activity at a concentration of 0.02% v/v and hence was used for further studies....."

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

WE WILL FIND A CURE!!!!
TNT
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be interested in any literature about any substance that specifically states it's helpful against "l-form" or "cell-wall-deficient" bacteria.
Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

Hi TNT--
quote:
Originally posted by TNT:
I would be interested in any literature about any substance that specifically states it's helpful against "l-form" or "cell-wall-deficient" bacteria.

Good point, TNT-- these need further research!!

There seems to be very little literature on the pleomorphic forms of borrelia. Here's one study on Pubmed with very interesting pictures, I think it mentioned that doxy did damage the structures, but Im not sure..

"Morphological and biochemical features of Borrelia burgdorferi pleomorphic forms," by Merilainen L1, Herranen A2, Schwarzbach A3, Gilbert L2.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25564498

Quote: ".....There is a long-standing debate regarding the role of pleomorphic forms in Lyme disease pathogenesis, while very little is known about the characteristics of these morphological variants.

Here, we present a comprehensive analysis of B. burgdorferi pleomorphic formation in different culturing conditions at physiological temperature. Interestingly, human serum induced the bacterium to change its morphology to round bodies (RBs). In addition, biofilm-like colonies in suspension were found to be part of B. burgdorferi's normal in vitro growth.

Further studies provided evidence that spherical RBs had an intact and flexible cell envelope, demonstrating that they are not cell wall deficient, or degenerative as previously implied. However, the RBs displayed lower metabolic activity compared with spirochaetes. Furthermore, our results indicated that the different pleomorphic variants were distinguishable by having unique biochemical signatures.

Consequently, pleomorphic B. burgdorferi should be taken into consideration as being clinically relevant and influence the development of novel diagnostics and treatment protocols."

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

MONOLAURIN (glycerol monolaurate)
Monolaurin is a monoglyceride derived from coconuts that many studies have shown inhibits both viruses and bacteria.

Peer Review Science:
In vitro evaluation of antibacterial activity of phytochemicals and micronutrients against Borrelia burgdorferi and Borrelia garinii, by Goc A1, Niedzwiecki A1, Rath M1.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26457476

Abstract
AIMS:
Little is known about the effects of phytochemicals against Borrelia sp. causing Lyme disease. Current therapeutic approach to this disease is limited to antibiotics. This study examined the anti-borreliaea efficacy of several plant-derived compounds and micronutrients.

METHODS AND RESULTS:
We tested the efficacy of 15 phytochemicals and micronutrients against three morphological forms of Borrelia burgdoferi and Borrelia garinii: spirochetes, latent rounded forms and biofilm. The results showed that the most potent substances against the spirochete and rounded forms of Borrelia burgdorferi and Borrelia garinii were cis-2-decenoic acid, baicalein, monolaurin, and kelp (iodine); whereas, only baicalein and monolaurin revealed significant activity against the biofilm. Moreover, cis-2-decenoic acid, baicalein, and monolaurin did not cause statistically significant cytotoxicity to human HepG2 cells up to 125 μg ml-1 , and kelp up to 20 μg ml-1 .
CONCLUSIONS:
The most effective antimicrobial compounds against all morphological forms of the two tested Borrelia sp. were baicalein and monolaurin. This might indicate that the presence of fatty acid and phenyl groups is important for comprehensive antibacterial activity.

SIGNIFICANCE AND IMPACT OF THE STUDY:
This study reveals the potential of phytochemicals as an important tool in the fight against the species of Borrelia causing Lyme disease. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.

Article 2:
"In vitro and in vivo effects of two coconut oils in comparison to monolaurin on Staphylococcus aureus: rodent studies." by
Manohar V1, Echard B, Perricone N, Ingram C, Enig M, Bagchi D, Preuss HG.
LINK:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23767861

........" In vivo, the groups receiving vancomycin, monolaurin, or the combination showed some protection--50-70% survival, whereas the protection from the coconut oils were virtually the same as control--0-16% survival. Although we did not find that the two coconut oils are helpful to overcome S. aureus infections, we corroborated earlier studies showing the ability of monolaurin to do such."

Menaquinone analogs inhibit growth of bacterial pathogens.
Schlievert PM1, Merriman JA, Salgado-Pabon W, Mueller EA, Spaulding AR, Vu BG, Chuang-Smith ON, Kohler PL, Kirby JR.
LINKE: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23959313

The above study showed that Coenzyme Q1 works in synergy with monolaurin to inhibit pathogenic bacteria.

....."Coenzyme Q1 reduced the ability of S. aureus to cause toxic shock syndrome in a rabbit model, inhibited the growth of four Gram-negative bacteria, and synergized with another antimicrobial agent, glycerol monolaurate, to inhibit S. aureus growth.

[ 11-02-2015, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

EUGENOL
Plants that contain this chemical agent are cloves of the Syzygium aromaticum species as well as cinnamon; nutmeg; star anise; dill; sweet basil, or Ocimum basilicum; and holy basil, or Ocimum tenuiflorum.

Anti-quorum sensing, anti biofilm, anti parasitic, antibacterial, antimicrobial, antifungal, possibly anti spirochaetal.

Do not ingest essential oils without supervision.

In the 1900s, cloves (eugenol) was used to treat syphilis. : "A concoction containing cloves, sandalwood paste, and saffron is said to help in syphilitic affections as an alterative and tonic. This was recently tested in cases of secondary syphilis, with marked benefits to the patients."
Link: http://www.herballegacy.com/Syphilis.html

Peer reviewed studies have confirmed the antimicrobial and antibiofilm properties of Eugenol.

"Antimicrobial activity of eugenol and cinnamaldehyde against extended spectrum beta lactamase producing enterobacteriaceae by in vitro and molecular docking analysis," by Lena Dhara, Anusri Tripathi

LINK: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1876382013001194

Conclusions:
Microbiological assays and molecular docking experiments indicated antibacterial activity and significant molecular interactions of eugenol and cinnamaldehyde with ESBL enzymes of pathogenic bacteria

---------------------------
Selected footnotes on Eugenol, from Dr. Schaller's list:

Zhou L, Zheng H, Tang Y, Yu W, Gong Q, "Eugenol inhibits quorum sensing at sub-inhibitory concentrations." Biotechnol Lett. 2012 Dec 22. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID:23264268

Cecchini C, Silvi S, Cresci A, Piciotti A, Caprioli G, Papa F, Sagratini G, Vittori S, Maggi F. Antimicrobial efficacy of Achillea ligustica All. (Asteraceae) essential oils against reference and isolated oral microorganisms. Chem Biodivers. 2012 Jan;9(1):12-24. PMID:22253099

Bagavan A, Rahuman AA, Kamaraj C, Elango G, Zahir AA, Jayaseelan C, Santhoshkumar T, Marimuthu S. Contact and fumigant toxicity of hexane flower bud extract of Syzygium aromaticum and its compounds against Pediculus humanus capitis (Phthiraptera: Pediculidae). Parasitol Res. 2011 Nov;109(5):1329-40. Epub 2011 May 4. PMID:21541752

Moon SE, Kim HY, Cha JD. Synergistic effect between clove oil and its major compounds and antibiotics against oral bacteria. Arch Oral Biol. 2011 Sep;56(9):907-16. Epub 2011 Mar 12. PMID:21397894

Machado M, Dinis AM, Salgueiro L, Custódio JB, Cavaleiro C, Sousa MC. Anti-Giardia activity of Syzygium aromaticum essential oil and eugenol: effects on growth, viability, adherence and ultrastructure. Exp Parasitol. 2011 Apr;127(4):732-9.. Epub 2011 Jan 25. PMID:21272580

im JR, Sharma S. Acaricidal activities of clove bud oil and red thyme oil using microencapsulation against HDMs. J Microencapsul. 2011;28(1):82-91. PMID:21171819

Pasay C, Mounsey K, Stevenson G, Davis R, Arlian L, Morgan M, Vyszenski-Moher D, Andrews K, McCarthy J. Acaricidal activity of eugenol based compounds against scabies mites. PLoS One. 2010 Aug 11;5(8):e12079. PMID:20711455

Khan MS, Zahin M, Hasan S, Husain FM, Ahmad I. Inhibition of quorum sensing regulated bacterial functions by plant essential oils with special reference to clove oil. Lett Appl Microbiol. 2009 Sep;49(3):354-60. Epub 2009 Jul 14. PMID:19627477

Pinto E, Vale-Silva L, Cavaleiro C, Salgueiro L. Antifungal activity of the clove essential oil from Syzygium aromaticum on Candida, Aspergillus and dermatophyte species. J Med Microbiol. 2009 Nov;58(Pt 11):1454-62. Epub 2009 Jul 9. PMID:19589904

[ 11-12-2015, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

YELLOW GUAVA Psidium guajava
"Anti-quorum sensing activity of Psidium guajava L. flavonoids against Chromobacterium violaceum and Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1," by Vasavi HS1, Arun AB, Rekha PD.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24698116

"Prevention of Bacterial Biofilms Formation on Urinary Catheter by Selected Plant Extracts," by Adesina TD, Nwinyi OC, Olugbuyiro JA.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26364356

Abstract
In this study, we investigated the feasibility of using Psidium guajava(Guava), Mangifera indica(Mango) and Ocimum gratissimum(African Basil) leaf extracts in preventing Escherichia coli biofilm formation........

Biofilm formation on the catheter was induced using cultures of E. coli. Biofilm formation was evaluated using aerobic plate count and turbidity at 600 nm.

From the obtained results, Psidium guajava, Mangifera indica and Ocimum gratissimum delayed the onset of biofilm formation for a week. Ocimum gratissimum coated catheter had the highest inhibitory effect...."

"Antimicrobial evaluation of plants used for the treatment of diarrhoea in a rural community in northern Maputaland, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa," by Sandy F van Vuuren, Mduduzi N Nkwanyana, and Helene de Wetcorresponding

LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4364486/

[ 11-09-2015, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

ACACIA NILOTICA, a substitute for gum arabic
Acacia nilotica (L.) Del. is a thorny wattle native to India, Pakistan and much of Africa.

Bark of A. nilotica has been used for treating haemorrhages, colds, diarrhoea tuberculosis and leprosy while the roots have been used as an aphrodisiac and the flowers for treating syphilis lesions (New 1984)

Acacia nilotica contains saponins which are known to kill spirochetes.

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

BURDOCK ROOT -- Arctium lappa Linn.
Known as "Lappa" and used as a cure for syphilis (another spirochaetal disease) by MDs in the 19th and early 20th centuries, as discussed in Ellingwood's Therapeutist, 1908. LINK: http://www.henriettes-herb.com/eclectic/journals/elth1908/12-syphilis.html

Burdock root is considered to have an alkalinizing effect.

(Best selling Lyme disease author Dr. Horowitz has observed that drinking alkalinized water (water with lemon or baking soda) can be helpful with Herxheimer's reactions. ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Nt0VD28fk

Current peer review studies show Burdock Root's effectiveness against bacterial biofilm:

"Burdock root extracts limit quorum-sensing-controlled phenotypes and biofilm architecture in major urinary tract pathogens," by Rajasekharan SK1, Ramesh S, Bakkiyaraj D, Elangomathavan R, Kamalanathan C.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=lappa+quorum+sensing

SUMMARY: "The study is focused on the root extracts of Arctium lappa Linn. as a source for complementary medicine against three major biofilm forming clinical isolates of Escherichia coli, Proteus mirabilis, and Serratia marcescens. Methanol extracts of burdock roots (BR) showed no bactericidal activity (p > 0.05) against the uropathogens, whereas restrained the biofilms (p < 0.05) on polystyrene and glass surfaces at a biofilm inhibitory concentration of 100 µg/mL.
The 3D confocal laser scanning microscopy was used to analyze the biofilm architecture which showed significant reduction in the surface area. Z-stack analysis has also revealed substantial reduction in the biofilm thickness (E. coli-50.79%, P. mirabilis-69.49%, and S. marcescens-75.84%). Further, BR extracts also inhibited quorum-sensing (QS)-controlled cellular phenotypes such as violacein, prodigiosin, swarming motility, and cell surface hydrophobicity."

Another study showing Burdock Root's antibacterial ability:

"In vitro evaluation of the antibacterial activity of Arctium lappa as a phytotherapeutic agent used in intracanal dressings," by Gentil M1, Pereira JV, Sousa YT, Pietro R, Neto MD, Vansan LP, de Castro Franca S.

LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16521107

SUMMARY The phytotherapeutic agent extracted from an AcOEt fraction of A. lappa inhibited the growth of all the microorganisms in this study.

[ 01-04-2016, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

SASSAFRAS albidum of the family Lauraceae
Sassafras was used in conjunction with Sarsaparilla for the treatment of the syphilis spirochete in the early 1900s.

Peer review study:
"Antibacterial activity of 11 essential oils against Bacillus cereus in tyndallized carrot broth," by Valero M1, Salmerón MC.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=sassafras+antibacterial
SUMMARY:
The antibacterial activity of 11 essential oils from aromatic plants against the strain INRA L2104 of the foodborne pathogen Bacillus cereus grown in carrot broth at 16 degrees C was studied. The quantity needed by the essential oils of nutmeg, mint, clove, oregano, cinnamon, sassafras, sage, thyme or rosemary to produce 14-1110% relative extension of the lag phase was determined. Total growth inhibition of bacterial spores was observed for some of the antimicrobial agents assayed.

[ 10-19-2015, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

STILLINGIA SYLVATICA-- in the Euphorbiaceae or Spurge family
"Stillengia sylvania"( same plant?) is used as a part of the BLT herbal formula for Lyme/Bartonella, with reportedly good results.

http://www.henriettes-herb.com/eclectic/kings/stillingia.html

An American remedy of much importance and value, and is extensively used in all the various forms of primary and secondary syphilitic affections, in which it appears to have a most decided action; also in scrofulous, hepatic and cutaneous affections, in which its administration is followed by the most successful results (J. King).

In regard to its effects upon syphilis there appears to be much discordance of opinion among physicians, and this is probably due to the fact that in earlier years it was undoubtedly much overrated, that poor preparations have been employed and that the special conditions favoring its action have not been properly observed. When the specific indications for the drug have been followed the results have been fully as good as have been obtained from any of the antisyphilitics. The cases for its exhibition in syphilitic and other affections are those in which the tissues are feeble and are tardily removed and renewed; the mucous membranes are predominantly affected and the skin secondarily; and the mucous surfaces are tumid, red, and glistening, and secretion is scanty. With these indications it has been very successfully used in syphilitic and strumous diseases, and chronic inflammations with low deposits.

[ 10-30-2015, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

GOTU KOLA-- Centella asiatica of the subfamily Mackinlayoideae of family Apiaceaea
A relative of parsley, Gotu Kola (Indian Pennywort) contains spirochete killing saponins.Triterpenoid saponins, the primary constituents of Centella asiatica are manly believed to be responsible for its wide therapeutic actions.

"Gotu kola (Centella asiatica) has been used to treat many conditions for thousands of years in India, China, and Indonesia. It was used to heal wounds, improve mental clarity, and treat skin conditions such as leprosy and psoriasis.

Historically, gotu kola has also been used to treat syphilis, hepatitis, stomach ulcers, mental fatigue, epilepsy, diarrhea, fever, and asthma. Today, in the U.S. and Europe gotu kola is most often used to treat varicose veins and chronic venous insufficiency, a condition where blood pools in the legs. It is also used in ointments to treat psoriasis and help heal minor wounds.
INFORMATIONAL LINK (U of Maryland): https://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/gotu-kola

From Herbal Legacy article:
" The plant portion above the ground contains a large amount of Vellarin which is a substance that fights infections diseases like leprosy, syphilis, and eczema. Care is taken to dry this herb in the shade to preserve this valuable substance."
INFORMATIONAL LINK: http://www.herballegacy.com/Syphilis.html

Peer reviewed article
"Pharmacological Review on Centella asiatica: A Potential Herbal Cure-all," by Kashmira J. Gohil,* Jagruti A. Patel, and Anuradha K. Gajjar1
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3116297/

[ 10-17-2015, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

ELECAMPAGNE--"ENULA" Inula Helenium--Asteraceae family
"Elecampane, Inula helenium, also called horse-heal or marchalan, is a widespread species of plants in the sunflower family. It is native to Europe and Asia from Spain to Xinjiang Province in western China, and naturalized in parts of North America."

Used in the Cowden protocol.

Best selling Lyme author Dr. Horowitz has found Enula to be the only Cowden protocol herb that has shown anecdotal results against Babesia.

A study supervised by Dr. Eva Sapi showed Enula to have synergy with Houttuynia in reducing Borrelia biofilm by 55% in vitro within 72 hours. This combination of herbs also reduced Borrelia round bodies by 61% in vitro.

Additional peer reviewed study shows anti microbial effect of Inula..
"In vitro activity of Inula helenium against clinical Staphylococcus aureus strains including MRSA," by O'Shea S1, Lucey B, Cotter L.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20095126

[ 01-04-2016, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

CORYDALIS, of the family Papaveraceae(verify)
Corydalis turtschaninovii, Corydalis yanhusuo, Corydalis formosa. Wild Turkey-pea. Stagger-weed. N. O. Fumariaceæ

Used by numerous physicians as a treatment for syphilis in the early 1900s.

..."Clinical experience has revealed a specific relation to the manifestations of syphilis: Hunterian chancre; syphilitic nodes; falling of the hair; syphilitic and scrofulous ulcerations of scalp; syphilitic and non-syphilitic ulcerations of fauces─all these have been reported cured by it. It has not been used in the potencies; ten drops of the tincture four times a day has been a usual dose.
INFORMATIONAL LINK: http://www.homeoint.org/clarke/c/coryd.htm

Ellingwood's Therapeutist, 1908- The Successful Treatment of Syphilis without Mercury
INFORMATIONAL LINK: http://www.henriettes-herb.com/eclectic/journals/elth1908/12-syphilis.html

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

OCIMUM GRATISSIMUM -- (Lamiaceae) African Basil
High in Eugenol.

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

SIDA ACUTA-- malvaceae
Used in Buhner's bartonella protocol (typically 1/4 tsp of tincture 1x/day.) Antimicrobial, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, abortifacient, neuroprotective, cardiovascular and cardioprotective, antimalarial, antitubercular, antidiabetic, antiobesity, antioxidant and nephroprotective. May increase or decrease blood pressure.

Sida acuta, the common wireweed, is a species of flowering plant in the mallow family, Malvaceae, of which Hibiscus is the largest genus. It is believed to have originated in Central America, but today has a pantropical distribution and is considered a weed in some areas. In Colombia, the whole plant of S. acuta is used in traditional medicine of the Embera, Wounaan, Cunas and Katíos indigenous tribes, and in others regions of Antioquia, prepared as drinks, ointements and external baths against snakebite toxin.

Active compounds in Sida Acuta include: flavanoids and alkaloids, vasicine, ephedrine and cryptolepine and saponosides.

PEER REVIEW SCIENCE:
"Neuropharmacological effects of the ethanolic extract of Sida acuta" by Dora M.Benjumeaa, Isabel C.Gómez-Betancura,JulietaVásqueza, FernandoAlzateb, AndreaGarcía-Silvac, José A.Fontenla
LINK: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0102695X15002343

"Ethnomedicinal, Phytochemical and Ethnopharmacological Aspects of Four Medicinal Plants of Malvaceae Used in Indian Traditional Medicines: A Review," by Abat JK1, Kumar S2, Mohanty A3
LINK: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29057840

"The genus Sida L. - A traditional medicine: Its ethnopharmacological, phytochemical and pharmacological data for commercial exploitation in herbal drugs industry" by Dinda B1, Das N2, Dinda S3, Dinda M4, SilSarma
LINK: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26497766

[ 05-28-2018, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

CANNABIDIOL--CBD Oil

LINK: Potential Cure for Lyme Disease
http://www.medicaljane.com/2015/05/22/doctor-believes-cannabidiol-paste-could-be-a-potential-cure-for-lyme-disease/

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

OLIVE LEAF EXTRACT-- Olea europaea, of the Oleaceae family-- active ingredient is Oleuropein
"On the in-vitro antimicrobial activity of oleuropein and hydroxytyrosol," by Bisignano G1, Tomaino A, Lo Cascio R, Crisafi G, Uccella N, Saija A.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10504039

High-level antimicrobial efficacy of representative Mediterranean natural plant extracts against oral microorganisms.
Karygianni L1, Cecere M1, Skaltsounis AL2, Argyropoulou A2, Hellwig E1, Aligiannis N2, Wittmer A3, Al-Ahmad A1.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Olea+europaea+biofilm

[ 11-12-2015, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

CRYPTOLEPIS --Cryptolepis Sanguinolenta of the family Apocynaceae
"Antimicrobial, antiprotozoan and antiparasitic properties. An extract from the root is traditionally used in West Africa to treat malaria. The alkaloid cryptolepine is a potent antimalarial. The plant also has potential for treating Type II diabetes and is considered a powerful systemic antibiotic. It contains the antibacterial alkaloids cryptolepine, quindoline, and neocryptolepine."(Wikipedia overview)

Peer Review Science
"The Clinical Efficacy of Cryptolepis Sanguinolenta in the Treatment of Malaria," by Michael S Tempesta, PhD
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2956313/

"Cryptolepine-Induced Cell Death of Leishmania donovani Promastigotes Is Augmented by Inhibition of Autophagy, by
Souvik Sengupta,1 Sayan Chowdhury,1 Somdeb BoseDasgupta,2 Colin W. Wright,3 and Hemanta K. Majumder1
1Molecular Parasitology Laboratory, Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, 4, Raja S. C. Mullick Road, Jadavpur, Kolkata 700032, India
LINK: http://www.hindawi.com/journals/mbi/2011/187850/

[ 10-19-2015, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

ANAMU (Petiveria alliacea) or PHYTOLACCA(POKEWEED), of the Phytolaccaceae family
Petiveria alliacea is a species of flowering plant in the pokeweed family, Phytolaccaceae.

Poke root is listed as a cure for syphilis in Dr. Christopher's Herbal Legacy http://www.herballegacy.com/Syphilis.html

Phytolacca, a pokeweed, was also recommended by many doctors treating syphilis in the early 1900s. "Ellingwood's Therapeutist, 1908: The Successful Treatment of Syphilis without Mercury." LINK: http://www.henriettes-herb.com/eclectic/journals/elth1908/12-syphilis.html

Known in English as Garlic Guinea Weed and Guinea Henweed. The Peruvians call it mucura, the Brazilians refer to it as Anamu or Tipi, and it is known as a Guine in other parts of Central and South America. It is commonly used today in the Dominican Repulic, Peru, Guatamala and Brazil with its long history of medicinal uses.

The Guinea Hen Weed is used in teas, extracts, capsules. The leaves and also the roots are used with medicinal purposes. This plant has been used to reduce inflammation and pain. It has been reported to be used to eliminate bacteria, fungi, candida, and viruses. It is also used to enhance the immune system and increase urination). Recent studies report beneficial results in the use of this plant to lower the blood sugar levels and in the elimination of cancer cells. The plant is also used for arthritis, allergies, as therapy for fever, malaria. Besides its beneficial medical uses the plant is also been reported to induce abortions important property that has to take into consideration when used by woman of childbearing age.

Peer Review:
"Antibacterial and antifungal activity of sulfur-containing compounds from Petiveria alliacea L." by Kim S1, Kubec R, Musah RA.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16229980

[ 10-20-2015, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

RED CLOVER-- Trifolium pratense, a member of the Fabaceae family
Used in traditional remedies for Syphilis, a spirochete. According to Herballegacy.com, was combined with Burdock seed, Oregon grape root and Blood root for treatment of Syphilis.
Link: http://www.herballegacy.com/Syphilis.html

"Antibacterial activity of leaves extracts of Trifolium alexandrinum Linn. against pathogenic bacteria causing tropical diseases," by Khan AV1, Ahmed QU, Shukla I, Khan AA.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23569896

"Antileishmanial activity in Israeli plants," by El-On J1, Ozer L, Gopas J, Sneir R, Enav H, Luft N, Davidov G, Golan-Goldhirsh A.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19508747
SUMMARY:
Of the 41 extracts examined, those of two plants (Nuphar lutea(water lily)>Withania somnifera-(Ashwaganda)) were highly effective (with a maximum inhibitory effect of >50%), those of three other species (Pteris vittata>Smyrnium olusatrum>Trifolium clypeatum) were moderately effective (25%-50%) and another four extracts (Erodium malacoides>Hyparrhenia hirta>Thymelaea hirsuta>Pulicaria crispa) showed a marginal effect (15%-22%) against the parasites. Extracts of nine plant species therefore showed antileishmanial activity but only the extract of N. lutea, used at 1.25 microg/ml, eliminated all the intracellular parasites within 3 days of treatment, with no detectable toxicity to the host macrophages.
--------------
Clover may also be rich in spirochete killing saponins, and may reduce virulence factors of candida:

"Saponins of Trifolium spp. aerial parts as modulators of Candida albicans virulence attributes," by Budzyńska A1, Sadowska B2, Więckowska-Szakiel M3, Micota B4, Stochmal A5, Jędrejek D6, Pecio L7, Różalska B8.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25050858

[ 11-27-2015, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

N-phenylglycineamide-p-arsonic acid
This chemical was researched extensively by Louise Pearce and Wade Brown of the Rockefeller Institute in connection with spirochete infection, and it was successful in treating experimentally infected rabbits. They concluded that it possessed a high degree of therapeutic action on trypanosomes, and was capable of exerting a definite influence on spirochete infections

"Chemotherapy of Trypanosomes and Spirochete infections," by Louise Pearce and Wade Brown
LINK: http://tinyurl.com/nklyrev

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

YELLOW DOCK---Rumex crisps of the Polygonaceae family-- possibly toxic
Recommended by doctors treating syphilis in the early 1900s. "Ellingwood's Therapeutist, 1908: The Successful Treatment of Syphilis without Mercury." LINK: http://www.henriettes-herb.com/eclectic/journals/elth1908/12-syphilis.html

Also used as a traditional treatment for syphilis in conjunction with mandrake root, elder flower, poke root, blue flag, sassafras and caraway seeds, according to Dr. Christopher at http://www.herballegacy.com/Syphilis.html

CAUTION: Do not ingest unless under supervision, Yellow dock may be poisonous at higher doses.

Peer review study:
"Determination of antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of Rumex crispus L. extracts," by Yildirim A1, Mavi A, Kara AA.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11513714

[ 10-26-2015, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

Melicope lunu-ankenda,of the Rutaceae family
Used as a garden salad in Malaysia. Euodia lunuankenda is a species of plant in the Rutaceae family. It is endemic to India.

Leaves of this plant are anti-quorum sensing, anti biofilm.

Peer Review:
"Silencing quorum sensing through extracts of Melicope lunu-ankenda," by Tan LY1, Yin WF, Chan KG.

LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22666033

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

CLOVES Syzygium aromaticum of the Myrtaceae family
Clove oil contains Eugenol, which is believed to be responsible for its antimicrobial and anti parasitic properties. Eugenol comprises 72-90% of the essential oil extracted from cloves, and is the compound most responsible for clove aroma.
Schaller, an expert in Bartonella, believes that clove oil may be effective for Bartonella.

Peer review:
"Inhibition of quorum sensing regulated bacterial functions by plant essential oils with special reference to clove oil," by Khan MS1, Zahin M, Hasan S, Husain FM, Ahmad I.

LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19627477

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

ARECA CATECHU of the Arecaceae family
Anti biofilm, anti parasite. Areca catechu is a species of palm which grows in much of the tropical Pacific, Asia, and parts of east Africa. The species has many common names including the areca palm, areca nut palm, betel palm, Indian nut, Pinang palm, Bing Lang, Areca Nut, Betel Nut, Betel Quid, Pinlag.

The seeds of this palm tree have anti quorum sensing and antibiofilm properties. This herb also ostensibly kills parasites, tape worms, pinworms, round worms, blood flukes and helps expel bodies of worms.

Peer review:
Screening of traditional Chinese medicinal plants for quorum-sensing inhibitors activity," by Koh KH1, Tham FY.

[ 06-14-2016, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

APRICOT( kernel of seed) Prunus armeniaca, and Prunus mume of the Rosaceae family
Quorum sensing and biofilm inhibitor. Used for centuries by traditional Chinese medicine. Recent studies have also shown that Prunus mume extract may inhibit Helicobacter pylori.

Peer Review:
Screening of traditional Chinese medicinal plants for quorum-sensing inhibitors activity," by Koh KH1, Tham FY.

MK615: a new therapeutic approach for the treatment of oral disease, by Morimoto-Yama****a Y1, Matsuo M, Komatsuzawa H, Kawahara K, Kikuchi K, Torii M, Tokuda M.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21565449

"Inhibition of Helicobacter pylori Motility by (+)-Syringaresinol from Unripe Japanese Apricot," by Mitsuo Miyazawa1), Hirotoshi Utsunomiya2), Ken-ichi Inada3), Tomoki Yamada1), Yoshiharu Okuno1), Harunari Tanaka4), Masae Tatematsu
LINK: https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/bpb/29/1/29_1_172/_article

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

IRIS Versicolor of the Iridaceae family-- toxic
Also known as Blue Flag. Poison Flag. Flag Lily. Liver Lily. Snake Lily. Dragon Flower. Dagger Flower. Water Flag.

A toxic root used by many physicians as a treatment for the syphilis spirochete in the early 1900s, especially where there was glandular involvement. Should be tested on Borrelia spirochetes/ cysts and biofilm in vitro.

LINK: Ellingwood's Therapeutist, 1908.:
http://www.henriettes-herb.com/eclectic/journals/elth1908/12-syphilis.html

Journal of Materia Medica, Volume 9
Link:http://tinyurl.com/qdmwlvo

[ 10-26-2015, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

MANUKA HONEY
Antibacterial; anti-quorum sensing, anti-biofilm.
Peer review:
"Effectiveness of honey on Staphylococcus aureus and Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilms," by Alandejani T1, Marsan J, Ferris W, Slinger R, Chan F.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19559969

"Manuka honey inhibits cell division in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus," by Jenkins R1, Burton N, Cooper R.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21903658

"Methylglyoxal: (active agent of manuka honey) in vitro activity against bacterial biofilms," by Kilty SJ1, Duval M, Chan FT, Ferris W, Slinger R.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22287464

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

ELEUTHERO (Eleutherococcus senticosus) "Siberian Ginseng"
Used in Buhner's Lyme disease protocol

Established antiviral properties.
Peer review:
"Antiviral activity of an extract derived from roots of Eleutherococcus senticosus," by Glatthaar-Saalmuller B1, Sacher F, Esperester A.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11397509

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

SERRATIOPEPTIDASE
Antibiofilm and anti-inflammatory properties.

Peer Review Science:
"Serratiopeptidase: a well-known metalloprotease with a new non-proteolytic activity against S. aureus biofilm,"
by Selan L1, Papa R2, Tilotta M3, Vrenna G4, Carpentieri A5, Amoresano A6, Pucci P7,8, Artini M9.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26453184

Conclusions: New knowledge obtained from data reported in this paper calls attention to a novel mechanism of action of Spep. This protein could be developed as a potential "antipathogenic agent" capable to impair the ability of S. aureus to form biofilm on prostheses, catheters and medical devices, exploiting a mechanism different from the proteolytic activity.

"Comparison of clinical efficacy of methylprednisolone and serratiopeptidase for reduction of postoperative sequelae after lower third molar surgery," by Chappi D M1, Suresh KV2, Patil MR3, Desai R4, Tauro DP5, Bharani K N S S6, Parkar MI7, Babaji HV8.
LINK:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26155332

Conclusions: We conclude that methylprednisolone affords better pain relief while serratiopeptidase exerts better anti-inflammatory and anti-swelling effects in the post-operative period. Synergistic combinations of these two drugs would however prove to be more effective when extensive post-operative sequelae are expected. Key words:Methylprednisolone, serratiopeptidase, pain, swelling, trismus, third molar.

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

BOSWELLIA serrata, of the family Burseraceae, also known as frankincense
Boswellia has long been used in Ayurvedic medicine.This biblical herb is antibiofilm and antiinflammatory

PEER REVIEW SCIENCE:
Antistaphylococcal and biofilm inhibitory activities of acetyl-11-keto-β-boswellic acid from Boswellia serrata, by Raja AF1, Ali F, Khan IA, Shawl AS, Arora DS, Shah BA, Taneja SC.

LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21406118

Conclusions: This study supported the potential use of Acetyl-11-keto-β-boswellic acid, AKBA in treating S. aureus infections. AKBA can be further exploited to evolve potential lead compounds in the discovery of new anti-Gram-positive and anti-biofilm agents.

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

CISTUS creticus -- leaf

Peer review science:
Growth inhibiting activity of volatile oil from Cistus creticus L. against Borrelia burgdorferi s.s. in vitro, by Hutschenreuther A1, Birkemeyer C, Grotzinger K, Straubinger RK, Rauwald HW.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20432627

ABSTRACT: "Borreliosis patients from self-help groups reported considerable pain relief after ingestion of Cistus creticus leaf preparations. C. creticus leaf extracts of different polarities such as aqueous, ethyl acetate, hexane extracts as well as the volatile oil fraction obtained by steam distillation were tested for their antibacterial activity against Borrelia burgdorferi sensu stricto (Bbss) in vitro using the antibiotic amoxicilline as standard and polysorbate 80 as solubilizer for lipophilic extracts. Comparison of the four plant preparations shows that the volatile oil exerts the strongest growth inhibitory effect. Even concentrations of 0.02% (w/v) volatile oil in cultivation media reduced the total number of bacteria to 2% in comparison to a growth control after an eight-day cultivation period. While the aqueous extract did not reduce bacterial growth, incubation with hexane and ethyl acetate extracts clearly inhibited microbial growth. The main volatile components of the three active extracts tested were analyzed by GC-MS. The number of different labdane-type diterpenes as well as the total relative amount of diterpenes in the samples tested was highest in the essential oil of C. creticus. Identification of ten different volatile labdane-type diterpenes was assigned to the essential oil of C. creticus. Among these, manoyl oxide, 13-epi-manoyl oxide, 3-acetoxy-manoyl oxide and the monoterpene carvacrol were determined to be major constituents, accompanied by minor amounts of 3-hydroxy-manoyl oxide, all of which are known to exert antimicrobial activity."

[ 10-27-2015, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

Rhizoma Dryopteridis, Male Fern; Chinese "Guan Zhong"
This herb is recommended for Lyme patients by Two Frogs Healing Center for treatment of parasitic coinfections:
"Guan Zhong is used kill various intestinal parasites such as: hookworm, ringworm, and pinworm. This herb is used to treat bacterial and viral infections like colds, flu, measles, encephalitis, viral pneumonia, infectious bronchitis, and parotitis because it is effective at eliminating toxins. It also stops bleeding in conditions like hematemesis, epistaxis, hematochezia, and excess uterine bleeding.

Caution: This herb is to be taken separate from fatty or greasy food. This herb is not to be used with infants, people with a weak constitution, or people with ulcers in the gastrointestinal track. It can stimulate the contraction of the uterus and should be used with caution during pregnancy.

Filmarone is an active component in Dryopteridis which has a marked antiparasitic effect against tapeworms. In other studies, Dryopteridis kills roundworms in pigs and liver flukes in humans. This herb has a mild to moderate inhibitory effect against Bacillus dysenteriae, Salmonella typhi, E. coli, Pseudonomas aeruginosa, Diplococcus meningitidis, and Staphlococcus aureus. It has a strong inhibitory effect on the influenza virus, adenovirus, encephalitis B, and herpes simplex virus. This herb also has an antineoplastic effect.

"In vitro schistosomicidal effects of some phloroglucinol derivatives from Dryopteris species against Schistosoma mansoni adult worms," by Magalhaes LG1, Kapadia GJ, da Silva Tonuci LR, Caixeta SC, Parreira NA, Rodrigues V, Da Silva Filho AA.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19898869

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

YARROW "MORA" Achillea millefolium, of the Asteraceae family
A component of the herbal Nutrimedix formula "Mora," which was shown to inhibit borrelia biofilm, spirochetes and cysts in vitro by Dr. Eva Sapi.

Peer review science:
"TLC-Direct Bioautography and LC/MS as Complementary Methods in Identification of Antibacterial Agents in Plant Tinctures from the Asteraceae Family," by Jesionek W1, Móricz ÁM, Ott PG, Kocsis B, Horváth G, Choma IM.
LINK http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26268962

[ 11-12-2015, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

Terminalia chebula-- "Haritaki"
Indian traditional medicine. Quorum sensing inhibitor.

Peer review science:
"Ellagic acid derivatives from Terminalia chebula Retz. downregulate the expression of quorum sensing genes to attenuate Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1 virulence." by Sarabhai S, Sharma P, Capalash N.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23320085

Conclusion:
This is the first report on anti QS activity of T. chebula fruit linked to EADs which down regulate the expression of lasIR and rhlIR genes with concomitant decrease in AHLs in P. aeruginosa PAO1 causing attenuation of its virulence factors and enhanced sensitivity of its biofilm towards tobramycin.
------
"Sustained release of a purified tannin component of Terminalia chebula from a titanium implant surface prevents biofilm formation by Staphylococcus aureus."by
Shukla V1, Bhathena Z.

LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25680711

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

LUMBROKINASE
Possible anti-biofilm. Probable blood thinner.

More to come....

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

LOMATIUM Dissectum
Used as a part of the BLT herbal formulation designed for Lyme/ Bartonella, with reportedly good results.

No studies exist on pubmed with respect to anti bacterial or antibiofilm properties, but several studies show antiviral properties.

May be antibacterial, anticoagulant (possible), antifungal, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, (Candidia albicans, Clostridium (5 strains), Corynebacterium diptherium, Diplococcus pneumonia, E. coli, Hemophilus influenza, Mycobacterium tuberculosis, Neisseria gonorrhea, Proteus vulgaris, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Salmonella, Shigella (3 strains), Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus pyogenes), antiseptic, antiviral (DNA and RNA viruses), expectorant, immunostimulant, tonic

Peer Review Science:
Antiviral screening of British Columbian medicinal plants.
McCutcheon AR1, Roberts TE, Gibbons E, Ellis SM, Babiuk LA, Hancock RE, Towers GH.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8847882

"A Lomatium dissectum root extract completely inhibited the cytopathic effects of rotavirus."

[ 01-14-2016, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

BONESET Eupatorium perfoliatum
Used as a part of the BLT herbal formulation designed for Lyme/ Bartonella, with reportedly good results.

Anti-Inflammatory and antiprotozoan properties.

Peer Review Science:
1."Anti-inflammatory activity of Eupatorium perfoliatum L. extracts, eupafolin, and dimeric guaianolide via iNOS inhibitory activity and modulation of inflammation-related cytokines and chemokines," by Maas M1, Deters AM, Hensel A.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21669270

SUMMARY: "Eupatorium perfoliatum L. has been used traditionally for the treatment of fever, malaria and inflammation-associated diseases. Nowadays it is mostly used as immune activating remedy. The following study was performed to evaluate extracts with different polarity and defined lead-compounds from the herbal material on potential in vitro activities concerning immune cell activation, phagocytosis, and inflammation-related processes.....

CONCLUSIONS:Although the postulated immunostimulating properties of E. perfoliatum have not been confirmed, the anti-inflammatory effects can be seen as a verification of the traditional use against inflammatory diseases."

2. An unusual dimeric guaianolide with antiprotozoal activity and further sesquiterpene lactones from Eupatoriumperfoliatum." by Maas M1, Hensel A, Costa FB, Brun R, Kaiser M, Schmidt TJ.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21329950

SUMMARY:
"The CH(2)Cl(2) extract of aerial parts of Eupatorium perfoliatum L. exhibits antiprotozoal activity under in vitro conditions, especially against Plasmodium falciparum (IC(50)=2.7μg/ml). The search for active compounds yielded seven sesquiterpene lactones: Four structurally similar guaianolides, one dimeric guaianolide, and two germacranolides. The guaianolides differ in the degree of oxidation at C-14, ranging from a hydroxyl group up to a free carboxylic acid. The dimeric guaianolide, structurally closely related to the monomers, displays an unusual type of interguaianolide linkage between C-14 and C-4. Except for the germacranolide euperfolitin, all STLs described here were hitherto unknown. Furthermore, the flavonoid aglycones eupafolin, hispidulin, patuletin, and kaempferol were identified in the extract, which, except for kaempferol, have not been described as constituents of E. perfoliatum before. The dimeric guaianolide was shown to be the most active constituent against Plasmodium falciparum (IC(50) = 2.0μM) and was less cytotoxic against rat skeletal myoblasts (IC(50) = 16.2μM, selectivity index of about 8)."

3. Effects of homeopathic medications Eupatorium perfoliatum and Arsenicum album on parasitemia of Plasmodium berghei-infected mice, byLira-Salazar G1, Marines-Montiel E, Torres-Monzón J, Hernández-Hernández F, Salas-Benito JS.
LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17015193

Abstract
Malaria is one of the most important parasitic diseases in the world and a major public health problem because of emerging drug-resistant strains of Plasmodium. A number of synthetic and natural compounds are now being analysed to develop more effective antimalarial drugs. We investigated the effect of homeopathic preparations of Eupatorium perfoliatum and Arsenicum album on parasitemia using a rodent malaria model. We found significant inhibitory effect on parasite multiplication with both medications with a level of 60% for Eupatorium perfoliatum at a 30 CH potency. Arsenicum album 0/6 gave 70% inhibition but this was less stable than Eupatorium perfoliatum. The number of schizonts was higher in animals treated with homeopathic medications. Although the mechanism of action is unknown, these agents would be good candidates as alternative or complementary medications in the treatment of malaria.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement