LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Timing when to take charcoal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Timing when to take charcoal
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you figure out when to take charcoal? I take so many different rx meds or supplements throughout the day, and before bed, too. I'm supposed to wait until 90 minutes after eating/taking a med or supplement, and then wait 90 minutes after also. I generally eat something every 2 hours or so. Any advice?? Thanks.
Posts: 873 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is very challenging! I am now taking ABX 2 x day with food, so I take them at breakfast and dinner. I take supplements that need to be taken with food with those meals as long as they are not vitamins or minerals, which I take with lunch away from ABX.

Those supplements that need to be taken without food, I try to take when I wake up in the morning and later in the afternoon.

I take binders (like charcoal, DE) about 90 minutes after lunch and before taking any other meds. This is usually around 2 pm for me. If I miss that window of opportunity, sometimes I will take them at bedtime away from other meds also.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband takes his charcoal during the night when he wakes up to go to the bathroom.

He has the cup of water and the charcoal setting out and ready to take without needing to turn extra lights on.

Posts: 2252 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your suggestions. My day schedule just seems unreasonable as it is already right now, I might just try it at night.

My husband also takes his charcoal when he wakes up at night. I'm usually in a real deep fog when I wake up at night, but I think if I prepare it before going to bed, maybe I could just swallow it down in my sleep!

Posts: 873 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were to take charcoal plus 1/2 ambien when I wake up in the middle of the night,the charcoal would make the ambien ineffective wouldn't it?
Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I think the charcoal would take away the effects of any other meds you take near it.
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Yes, the charcoal will cancel out the ambien.

So the last 2 nights I've taken the charcoal in the middle of the night, after using the bathroon.

I set out the cup of water and the charcoal capsule, and just swallow in my half-sleep state. So far, it's gone well, and I've been able to just fall right back asleep. So far, so good.

sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's kind of a complicated question with charcoal. I don't know how long it lingers in the body. There's also an issue of ADsorption vs. ABsorption...

I suspect it lingers in the body longer than initially thought - but I'm no doctor. I couldn't find anything on-line to verify how long it stays in the body.

I don't think it's a good idea to take charcoal all of the time - but that's just my own observation. It's really helpful but not for everyday use. I am not a doctor...

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

What are you folks taking the charcoal for? Currently I'm taking it to treat mold.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement