LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Neuropathy Help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Neuropathy Help
linky123
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have recently started having burning pain in my feet. Was wondering if anyone can give me any ideas that can help this?

I am to EMF sensitive to do research, so would appreciate your advice.

Please help this is painful!

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you taking B vitamins, by any chance?

B12 injections?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am taking sublingual drops. Don't know of anyone locally that gives B12 shots.

Do you have neuropathy?

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No neuropathy anymore.

B6 can become toxic and CAUSE neuropathy .. so beware.

I give the B12 shots to myself.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

How would I get B12 shots to give myself?

Is that what cured your neuropathy? If so, how long did it take you to get well?

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I'm not sure why my neuropathy went away. I think it was from eating high histamine foods and foods high in salicylates.

Would your GP prescribe?

editing to clarify ..

I think the high histamine foods and the foods high in salicylates may have CONTRIBUTED to my neuropathy pain.

[ 11-05-2015, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had neuropathy in my feet for years resulting in a deep burning/sometimes itchy feeling. I over-react to most supplements so can't comment on those.

what seems to aggravate mine the most is heat. Too warm of bath or even shower can increase the symptoms, and hot tubs are completely out for me. I even arrange my blankets so my feet aren't covered or the symptoms start.

For some reason lotioning them before I go to bed also helps, if I don't the symptoms will wake me up. Not sure why it helps, but it does.

Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Hmmm... Maybe my ReMag and other magnesium also helped me.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor gave me alpha lipoic acid for neuropathy. It worked. My case was mild.

There are lots of links on the Internet saying that it works for neuropathy, or diabetic neuropathy.

Sorry, I don't remember the dosage.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doc also had me take sublingual Vitamin B according to the directions on the bottle. It worked wonderfully.

Be sure you don't chew the pill. Let it dissolve under the tongue.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nursejed1
Member # 25155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nursejed1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have severe neuropathy started around 1991 and has progressed from toes up my legs. It feels like frostbite and I am on pain meds which I hate.
The only reason Im telling you this is I wish I had treated the co infections early on since I wonder if bartonella has caused this or made it so bad. Dr H has an example of a patient in his book that his neuropathy went away after treatment with the right antibiotics. I cant tolerate any treatment now so my advice would be treat the cause quickly which is probably infection if you are a lyme patient.Nothing has helped me except a little relief with a topical cream with many medications in it and the narcotics.Im not giving up though I will find a way to treat my infections somehow.

Posts: 61 | From wilton | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:WJk1ZYPpH6cJ:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_inflammatory_demyelinating_polyneuropathy

"Neuropathies associated with IgG and IgA monoclonal gammopathy."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12407307

IgG in response to OspC, IgA in response to OspA and OspB.

Neuropathy is common in lyme:

Infections - damage can be caused to peripheral nerves by some infections including shingles, HIV infection and Lyme disease.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:wn_lGfodQrkJ:http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/147963.php

Treatment ideas - Dr. Weil suggests Elavil, B complex (sublingual)and ALA.

http://tinyurl.com/o4pdyj3

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look into high dose lipoic acid, benfiotamine, acetyl l carnitine, evening primrose oil, as well as the B vitamins (esp. methyl or adenosyl cobalamin forms of B12 and B6, bearing in mind Lymetoo's caution) magnesium. Another idea is to try highish dose serrapeptase alongside the above, if you don't have gastritis.

I had to stop high dose serrapeptase, but am taking the others. Too early to pronunce judgement, but there is plenty of info online about all of them for neuropathy. Mine got a lot worse this spring, with severe burnng in the feet and has died down some.

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I found this on a Gut Health board regarding B6:

-

"WARNING about Vitamin B6 Toxicity ....
I got Vitamin B6 toxicity from H Pylori. Talk about a limited diet! I had to go on the HP restrictive diet, and the Candida restrictive diet, AND of those choices, they had to be low in vitamin B6!

One word for all of my fellow HP sufferers ... DO NOT consume any synthetic B6 while fighting ANY bad bacterial infection. They need the B6 to colonize. It somehow gets stored up in our muscle, including smooth muscles like the heart, stomach and bladder. It's a ***** to get rid of.

It's not the natural form of B6 found in food that causes the toxicity, but once you're toxic, the natural form exacerbates symptoms, which include severe peripheral neuropathy, tingling in extremities, parathesia almost anywhere, brain fog, frequent urination, headaches, mood changes, memory problems and more gut issues like "non-specific" gerd and gastritis, and heart arrhythmias.

Synthetic B6 is found in B Complex supplements, energy drinks, vitamin waters, protein shakes and bars, smoothie mixes, fortified and enriched foods, such as GRAINS (breads, pastas, cereals, oatmeal, crackers, potato chips, etc).

Here's the tricky part ... Producers aren't required to list B6 content on their label if they don't add it in themselves. But if they use a whole wheat flour, say, that's already enriched with synthetic B6, they don't have to list it.

I'm not saying avoid B6. Having a deficiency has almost the same symptoms. Just avoid the obvious synthetic forms, like supplements, energy drinks, etc. especially Red Bulls!

Producers need to put toxicity warnings on their labels. I LIVED on protein shakes and bars, vitamin waters and the like when I had HP. It's all I could eat. But the price I paid was horrible. And worse, some of that nerve damage can be permanent. Be careful. Avoid ALL synthetic vitamins, in fact -and get your vitamins from food."

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

cottonbrain
Member # 13769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cottonbrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD recommended a product called Unflame for my burning hands and feet.

It really helps my hands, even at a very low dose, and it gives me a little energy boost too.

I am extremely sensitive and have not been able to use it at full dose. The tiny dose I take has not helped the burning in my feet, but it has reduced the level 10 pain in my fingers to a level 1-2.

do be aware of side effects such as insomnia, headache, frequent urination.

Maybe try taking a (normal) loading dose to get rid of pain -- it works fast! -- and then reduce after a couple days if you are sensitive. Also, one of its ingredients, bottlebrush/horsetail contains nicotine, i believe.

Ground ginger (unsulfited): I alternate this with the Unflame. It really helps. Be aware that ginger root can stimulate the immune system, so if you feel herxy, cut back on your dose.

[ 11-17-2015, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: cottonbrain ]

Posts: 1173 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cottonbrain
Member # 13769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cottonbrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
also -- I have seen some tent-like frames you can buy to put under your blanket so that the blanket doesn't touch your feet while you sleep.
Posts: 1173 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cottonbrain
Member # 13769

Lymetoo, that is very interesting about the B6. I take the form called P-5-P and developed neuropathies after about 3 years of supplementing....hmmm...

linky, many of the antibiotics/meds we take can induce neuropathies. Mine began while i was taking frequent doses of diflucan. I was taking other meds at the same time, but i think it was the diflucan that triggered it.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

P5P is just as bad for most people. Be careful.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement