LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Effectiveness of Stevia Whole Leaf Extract Against Various Forms of B. Burgdorferi

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Effectiveness of Stevia Whole Leaf Extract Against Various Forms of B. Burgdorferi
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the European Journal of Microbiology and Immunology, 2015:

"EFFECTIVENESS OF STEVIA REBAUDIANA WHOLE LEAF EXTRACT AGAINST THE VARIOUS MORPHOLOGICAL FORMS OF BORRELIA BURGDORFERI IN VITRO"

From the last paragraph of the Discussion on page 11:

"In conclusion, the overall antimicrobial effectiveness of Stevia A extract on the different morphological forms of B. burgdorferi
was comparable to the combination of certain antibiotics. Although the results of this preliminary study cannot be extrapolated directly to clinical practice, further follow-up studies are necessary which can address the safeness of Stevia and to further identify the most effective component(s) against Borrelia."

Here's the link to the original article:

http://www.akademiai.com/doi/pdf/10.1556/1886.2015.00031

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone ever used this for bb?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romi
Member # 47037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for romi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The purest form can be bought at bodyecology.com Actually Donna Gates owner of body ecology was the one who introduced Stevia to US. Have no clue of the effectiveness though.

--------------------
ROMI
Our existence in this Universe is to make a difference!

Posts: 16 | From Wilkes Barre, Pa | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romi
Member # 47037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for romi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then again purest form might not be the right choice since it has to be whole leaf extract, means extra virgin.

--------------------
ROMI
Our existence in this Universe is to make a difference!

Posts: 16 | From Wilkes Barre, Pa | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlcd1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlcd1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had a lyme conference here at a college near me at ACC and Dr. H was one of the speakers and he said stevia was a great biofilm buster along with maple syrup and cinnamon.
Posts: 908 | From Albany | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, back when I was treated for lyme, there was no talk of biofilms. But, I ate the quinoa porridge on the bodyecology site daily. It is full of stevia and cinnamon.

I got rid of lyme over 10 years ago. Perhaps that porridge helped me.

[ 11-21-2015, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: TF ]

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happydaychick
Member # 37799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happydaychick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Such an interesting article! I'm glad this is finally out... I heard Eva Spai speak about it last year, but she would not go into much detail.

I am trying to figure out what the Stevia A is that was the most effective...

Posts: 80 | From New England | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WakeUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much OP-- I was looking for the link on this study and you provided it!

No more sugar for me. Just Stevia, please.

Posts: 696 | From New York | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattH
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MattH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a certain type or brand? Or are most forms of stevia, powder and tinctures, being used. All the Best, MattH
Posts: 607 | From Houston Texas | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using this in my ice tea, instead of sugar. Not seeing much to indicate it does anything lyme fighting.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really dislike the taste of it, so if it's a treating remedy, I wonder if we can put it in capsules. The next question is, is if it's a biofilm buster, would there be any herx possibility?!

TF - cured by porridge!

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you'll talking about the sugar substitute you can put in tea and coffee?
Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattH
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MattH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes the sugar substitute. I took 4 packets last Sunday over about 5 hours and I did feel like I was Herxing. I had no energy and just wanted to veg for a couple of hours. About 3 hours after my last Stevia packet (I put in water or ice tea) I started to get my energy back.

With a couple packets a day since then I am not noticing much of a Herx.

All the Best, MattH

Posts: 607 | From Houston Texas | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much. I just bought some. I started reading the article, but my brain is not computing too well, so your answer helped.
Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WakeUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Stevia "A" referred to in the study is one of these brands (liquid only):

Nutramedix®, Now®, Sweet leaf®, or Truvia®

I wish they would have identified which stevia brand was "Stevia A,"--- the one that was shown to be effective.

Posts: 696 | From New York | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't Truvia have other undesirable additives? I haven't seen a package of it recently...just relying on my memory.

I used Sweat Leaf for at least the past 10-12 yrs. I can no longer tolerate stevia though.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used the liquid Sweet Leaf Stevia Clear. It was recommended on this site. I bought it in a health food store.
Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, some of those other things contain maltodextrin and other non-stevia ingredients. Got to read the ingredients on the package.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wrotek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WakeUp:

I wish they would have identified which stevia brand was "Stevia A,"--- the one that was shown to be effective.

It is NUTRAMEDIX, You give them letters LABEL in order they are mentioned i think.
Posts: 636 | From Wroclaw, Poland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just begun to make a connection...

"Some of the artificial sweeteners on the market stimulate hormones which instruct your body to store fat, while others

***drive down your serotonin levels,***

which can bring on food cravings.

Stevia does NOT do this, so you can use with confidence."

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Zs7zu7TljMUJ:http://www.healthhouse.co.nz/product/sweet-stevia-powder

"If you suffer from depression, anxiety, or nervousness, stevia may compound these symptoms because it

slows the release of dopamine and serotonin."

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:YfsAfevN3MAJ:http://www.livestrong.com/article/477769-stevia-side-effects-nervous-system-psychological/

It does not BLOCK the release, it slows the release down.

Bb locks onto norepinephrine and epinephrine which come FROM dopamine.

I believe serotonin is very "protective" if kept higher longer.

It is when it is broken down (and "recycled") that may be problematic.

This is where (IMO protective) Prozac comes into play:

"Prozac raised serotonin levels

by inhibiting the reuptake (recycling) of serotonin."

Bb throws off the tryptophan -> melatonin versus tryptophan -> KYN -> niacin pathway - in favor of KYN.

Blocking an enzyme called IDO which helps in the conversion is being researched as a cancer therapy.

"Stevia is high in chromium..."

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:KmDYsKuxE5IJ:http://pcosdiva.com/2011/06/ask-amy-what-sweeteners-are-okay-to-use-with-pcos/

"Chromium picolinate may also have a direct effect on brain receptors for serotonin. Previous studies have shown that in some depressed people serotonin receptors get too "sticky," fail to release their payload of serotonin and limit its availability. Chromium may help free up serotonin receptors."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200305/natural-prozac-in-everyday-mineral

Good find!

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeNotLymes
Member # 45544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeNotLymes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People with depression tend to have high, not low serotonin. It's the metabolite, 5HIAA, that tends to be low. When the metabolite is low, brain levels of serotonin are high.

This is what the actual research shows, but he makers of SSRI's do not publicly admit this. They want to sell drugs.

It's thought they work (for some) by tricking the brain into thinking it has less serotonin.

--------------------
CDC positive for: Lyme & Babesia duncani
Clinical diagnosis of: Bartonella

Posts: 90 | From Rocky Mountains | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeNotLymes
Member # 45544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeNotLymes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not only is Prozac not protective of the brain, but it's extremely toxic.

--------------------

Posts: 90 | From Rocky Mountains | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jarjar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jarjar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie the article is spot on about Stevia not signaling your body to not burn fat. I'm on a gluten free, low fat diet. People said when you go gluten free you will lose weight.

I wasn't losing weight but when I switched to Stevia from splenda to sweeten my tea or bake gluten free cookies. All I can say is wow, I dropped almost 25-30lbs and I'm currently wearing the same size pants I wore pre lyme and weigh the same as I was before I became ill.

Also I use Stevia sparingly so I don't think it effects my brain chemistry such as dopamine.

Posts: 805 | From Utopia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Genetically...SERT (serotonin transporter) and MAOA may impact serotonin levels.

High (gut) serotonin levels are VERY symptomatic!

Wait till you have a kidney stone attack.

Or hyperemesis with pregnancy.

"5-HIAA is a breakdown product of a hormone called serotonin"

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:G1sMTzMoMV4J:https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003612.htm

"Serotonin can be degraded presynaptically by mitochondrial monoamine oxidase A (MAO-A)

or extrasynaptically by glially expressed MAO-A

into 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid (5-HIAA).

Once released, synaptic serotonin can be cleared by the serotonin transporter (SERT) or bind to one of seven classes of serotonin receptors residing on both the pre- and postsynaptic membranes."

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Y8AHnF4XOgsJ:http://www.academia.edu/1267000/MAOA_and_the_neurogenetic_architecture_of_human_aggression

BTW...serotonin is linked to obesity.

SERT is genetically transcribed and is implicated in irritable bowel, obesity, autism, ADHD, bipolar disorder, and Tourette's syndrome. SERT modulates ***EXTRACELLULAR*** serotonin levels.

(Stored inactive in nerve cells/neurons.)

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Prozac maybe "toxic" to some individuals who genetically have low levels of MAO-A.

But not for most persons.

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

quote:
Originally posted by TF:
Well, back when I was treated for lyme, there was no talk of biofilms. But, I ate the quinoa porridge on the bodyecology site daily. It is full of stevia and cinnamon.

I got rid of lyme over 10 years ago. Perhaps that porridge helped me.

Interesting because Quinoa has lots of SAPONINS in it(saponins kill live spirochetes) --- that coupled with the Stevia (kills all forms of borrelia) and the Cinnamon (kills biofilm) might have done the trick for you....Hmmmm... food IS medicine.
WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

quote:
Originally posted by wrotek:
quote:
Originally posted by WakeUp:

It is NUTRAMEDIX, You give them letters LABEL in order they are mentioned i think.
Thanks!! I guess the letters are part of the double blind scientific process. Right now I have a lot of Stevia powder to use up but may switch to Nutramedix liquid soon.
LymeNotLymes
Member # 45544

quote:
Originally posted by Marnie:
Prozac maybe "toxic" to some individuals who genetically have low levels of MAO-A.

But not for most persons.

This just isn't accurate and I don't want anyone to be misled.

Research is finding that the SSRI's lead to treatment resistant depression (now called tardive dysphoria). How long it takes for this to happen varies from individual to individual.

http://www.behaviorismandmentalhealth.com/2014/04/08/antidepressants-make-things-worse-in-the-long-term/

http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/1072889/14891065/1320009670867/antidep+El-Mallakh-tardivedysphoriadarticle1.pdf?token=LnfCPPEqp53ofhsJYFyYIg9wQ88%3D

High brain serotonin levels act as a neurotoxin and are absolutely not protective. According to at least one LLMD, Lyme patients cannot tolerate anything that increases serotonin levels for this reason. Their brains are already too compromised.

This particular LLMD is in Maryland and has a blog, if you want to read more.

--------------------

Marnie
Member # 773

My sis is now "autoimmune" from lyme. She was/is on the highest doses of Prozac allowed.

She was misdx'd initially and given steroids prior to 3 years of abxs. You know what happened/happens.

She does NOT have "neuro" lyme.

My son cannot tolerate Prozac...it makes him MORE depressed.

I suspect HE has a SERT or MAOA (low) genetic problem.

This is just like Tamoxifen...the "active" cancer inhibitor is a metabolite OF Tamoxifen.

Just as the active metabolite OF Serotonin is what cures depression.

If you can't process Serotonin to its metabolite (low MAOA) - problem! Then it is toxic.

For my sis ("autoimmune")...Prozac was/is very helpful, but she looks to suffer now with antibiotic refractory lyme and her kidneys (leg edema) are impacted.

Low Treg cells.

See also how Bb's Osp A impacts our hormones:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17438273

Propranolol decreases CoQ10 needed by mitochondrial complex I.

It's OspC, type A that is most worrisome = very severe response.

When one Osp is down, the others go up.

To gain more insight into serotonin, see my posts (several - all linked) under HBOT which is VERY beneficial.

Stevia does NOT lower serotonin - I linked.

LymeNotLymes
Member # 45544

I don't agree, and I've studied serotonin for over 20 years now. I also know about MAOA, etc.....
Prozac (or any SSRI) simply isn't good for anyone, regardless of how it may provide provide symptom relief, temporarily.

I'm confused as to how your sister is "autoimmune" from Lyme but doesn't have neurolyme. All chronic Lyme is neuro to some extent. I'm also not a believer is Lyme being autoimmune. That's what the CDC and the infectious disease doctors would like everyone to believe. Post Lyme/autoimmune.

--------------------

Marnie
Member # 773

It is called antibiotic refractory lyme.

The kidneys can be involved -> leg edema.

Treg (T regulatory) cells too low. They produce

TNFb1.

"Treg cells were functional in patients with antibiotic-refractory arthritis, and in some patients, ***higher numbers of these cells in SF appeared to participate in arthritis

resolution.***

However, as in the murine model, patients with antibiotic-refractory arthritis and

lower numbers of Treg cells seemed

unable to achieve resolution of synovial inflammation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20506317

Regulatory T Cells Suppress Innate Immunity in Kidney Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2723989/

Autoimmune conditions predominate or those individuals whose cellular immunity/TH1 cytokines dominate,

activating monocytes direct response against infected cells

without being balanced by a healthy TH2 response.

http://tinyurl.com/jtrhavw

My sis does not have ANY symptoms of "neuro lyme".

Her mind is sharp as a bell.

So, according to your interpretation...she doesn't have chronic lyme ("All chronic Lyme is neuro to some extent.")

Which IS curable with HBOT should she have chronic lyme:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24726678

Tell me...what specifically about Bb impacts MAOB and why/how?

Do you know?

Are you a female - estrogen dominant?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ik0pWG-boTEJ:http://www.health911.com/estrogen-dominance

Do you know the impact of estrogen on MAOA and the impact of estrogen dominance on the immune system?

Have you had any genetic testing done? HTR2A/ HTR2C/SLC6A4...MTHFR?

Have you been tested in a sleep lab? Are you still having REM sleep? If not, do you know why not?

ALDH2 (chromosome 12) levels normal?

How is it you have "studied serotonin for over 20 years?" Are you a psychiatrist/neurologist/drug rep.? Just curious!

If anyone wants pages and pages of information with links on serotonin - 5HT1A (receptors) and how it applies to lyme, PM me and I will send.

Anyone remember the WFL - rhodopsin discussions I posted awhile ago?

"a rhodopsin-based model of
5-HT(1A) ***serotonin receptor."***

http://tinyurl.com/z634ma6

It has been around a LONG time.

"the primordial *serotonin receptor
of the rhodopsin-GPCR family* may have first appeared more than 700-750 million years ago,"

http://link.springer.com/article/10.2165%2F00023210-199500041-00005

Otzi (iceman with lyme)...DRD2 A1 allele are more aggressive...MAO-L?

High testosterone - MAOA excessive?

Higher cAMP due to high testosterone is not beneficial.

Elevation of intracellular cAMP in T cells, induced by agents such as IL-1alpha or PGs,

inhibits T cell activation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11067915

LymeNotLymes
Member # 45544

I really don't care to go back and forth with this, and I have nothing to prove.

Your link regarding HBOT involved one person. I know many with (lab confirmed) chronic neuro Lyme who tried HBOT and it didn't work. I didn't click on your other links.

I don't think excessive posting translates into accurate information. I think we can just agree to disagree at this point.

--------------------

bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would 5htp help with depression and whats that got to do with stevia.? Good points all around...i got vasculitis , which is neuro and auto immune in nature

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Blue, are you female?

Acute 17β-estradiol (= Estradiol )treatment down-regulates serotonin ***5HT1A receptor mRNA*** expression in the limbic system of female rats.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0169328X98000187

Estriol can be a weak or strong estrogen depending on if it is given acutely or chronically when given to immature animals, but is

an ***antagonist when given in combination with estradiol.***

If Estriol antagonizes estradiol...a good thing...VERY!!!

Because it is important for this to happen:

upregulation of the 5HT1A receptor mRNA.

Estriol and HBOT are used to treat MS also!!!

Lyme could possibly trigger MS (also Th1 driven). We come into contact with HHV6-A usually *as adults* and it triggers the reactivation of another virus too...EBV which can be latent in the thymus gland (where our B cells go to become T cells).

In addition, lyme also might trigger SLE. Persons with SLE have fewer Type 2 macrophages: M2a and M2c macrophages which would lower inflammation if they were up, but M2b are up and are believed to be the trigger for lupus.

http://tinyurl.com/gmt2yp6

HBOT raises M2a and M2c.

http://tinyurl.com/gqyvac5

Some research suggests that

some patients, in fact, ***progress from one disease to the other,***

and that such transitions occur during major hormonal shifts, such as the onset of menopause or pregnancy.

http://tinyurl.com/zw5aqgq

[ 12-17-2015, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Marnie ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement