LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Antidepressants

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Antidepressants
phyl6648
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phyl6648     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have become very depressed and tried many antidepressants and can't seem to tolerate the side effects.. Was dx with lyme in 2010 after 11 years of trying to find out what was wrong with me. Tried the abx, herbs etc. Have had some improvement but it never last. The lyme literate doc I am seeing now, due to location and cost, my lyme test are now negative (western blot) shows post lyme.. She said I am suffering with grieving, lyme and clinical depression and a lot of her pts aren't able to take antidepressants. I have tried the natural approaches but still depression/ anxiety.. I am on a high does of Omega Three . Any suggestions? Thank you
Posts: 1058 | From VA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried a different psychiatrist-especially one that is knowledgeable about Lyme.

Sometimes it takes many different trials of medication to find the right one. If fatigue is a side effect, ask the doc if you can take it at night.

Best wishes.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phyl6648
Member # 28522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phyl6648     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The psych I am seeing is suppose to be lyme literate and the only one in the area.. Before being dx I was told I had anxiety/depression and did see a good psych and same problem, not able to tolerate side effects. Don't mind the sleepy part, they make me more depressed and such crazy head feelings. Each has it own side effect which hasn't been good. Tks
Posts: 1058 | From VA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you inquired about mood stabilizers or anxiety meds? Maybe a cocktail?
Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phyl6648
Member # 28522

Yes, the anxiety meds help but just takes the edge off.
jlcd1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlcd1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if your trying an SSRI i would suggest to start with a 1/4 of a dose and work up if need be. My lyme brain can't handle a high dose of anything. I take 5mg of viibryd and i started with half of half of that. I also took that gene test from genomind to figure out which meds worked best for my genes and went from there. Goodluck!!
Posts: 908 | From Albany | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
The doctor you see now does NOT sound lyme literate if she believes that test and thinks there is really such a thing as "post lyme syndrome" - not in my opinion.

She is also shorting you by not considering a full range of tick borne / chronic stealth infections.

You never had treatment, not really, a few stabs at it here and there, - and the symptoms stayed with you

but just because you test negative and the doctor calls it "post lyme" does not mean lyme is not part of all this.

The grieving and mood issues can be part of lyme, being ill, or you might have those without it.

But - this is not "post" lyme. It still needs to be addressed, somehow.

I get that you can't afford a LLMD, never have (if I recall your posts correctly) and the little bit of treatment you got you had trouble tolerating. I get that.

And I get that money is an issue. Still, IMO, it's just not going to work until somehow you can cover more bases.

If you had such trouble tolerating mood drugs in the past, that's not likely to change.

Fatty acids are still important yet there are also other things that could. Help.

Some specific supplements might have some antimicrobial properties that could at least help a bit.

There are some that also have anti-inflammatory properties and that can also help with mood.

Really, I don't want to throw a bucket of water on your hope that mood Rx will now, somehow, be magic where it was not before but also keep in mind your past posts about

tinnitus. Many mood Rx are ototoxic. So if you do take one, be sure to have excellent liver support that might help the ears. Take care.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Turmeric / Curcumin

Are you taking this? It helps with inflammation & circulation (and inflammation & stagnant circulation can really clobber even Santa Claus' mood). It's not going to cover all the bases but just a start.

Gluten Free food plan, too, helped my mood so very, very much.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phyl6648
Member # 28522

Yes I am taking Curcumin and have had ringing in my ears before any lyme treatment. Still have 24/7. I know I have never been properly treated.. TY
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Please know I do not say that to bring sadness but hope. I know it's complicated just please do not believe that doctor who wants to sweep it under the rug.

Take care. Hugs and cheer to you !
-

phyl6648
Member # 28522

Thank you, now that I am widowed and alone I just don't know where to go or what to do. I am still searching for a doctor that I can afford, travel to and one that knows how to treat or at least give me some answers. I live in misery the longer it goes untreated and the older I get the worse it is..For the past year due to my husbands illness and death I have so neglected me..

I so appreciate your reply.

dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry Phyl for what you have been going through. Did your husband pass away in the last year or so? That must be so hard for you.

I know it might be considered a band-aid... but have you ever tried the supplement, lithium orotate? Besides helping with anxiety and depression, it is also shown to reduce chances of dementia and has many other benefits.

It is an inexpensive supplement and LLMD's that are aware of it suggest 5 mg 3 x day with meals. You can buy it on Amazon.com or Iherb.com.

Sending hugs and prayers that things will get a little better for you. [group hug]

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Phyl,

Sorry for all that has taken you for such a rough & tumble ride. I hope you have friends / family around for Thanksgiving and can enjoy the most important elements of that. And may your husband's memory be a warmth with you, as well.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Phyl,

I just wrote to your state naturopathic association and got the reply below. You might also inquire as to sliding fee scale, etc. But, at least to locate such professionals in your area is very vital.

And, not necessarily for lyme treatment if that is too entailed, but for symptom relief right now that is safer for you and can cover various aspects.

http://www.vaanp.org/

The Virginia Association of Naturopathic Physicians (VAANP),

an affiliate of the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (AANP), is the professional trade association for naturopathic doctors in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Our members are graduates of accredited four-year, graduate-level, in-residence naturopathic medical programs.

While Virginia does not license naturopathic doctors at this time, all of our professional members maintain a license as a naturopathic doctor or naturopathic physician in at least one of the eighteen states, or Washington D.C., that offer licensure.

The VAANP is actively pursuing licensure of naturopathic doctors in Virginia.

http://www.vaanp.org/contact-us

Contact us

Their answer to my inquiry for you today:

"We have one member who is ILADS trained, however, she is practicing on a limited basis, I could email her to see if she would consider seeing a new patient if you are interested. She is located outside Fredricksburg, VA.

Many of our other members do understand Lyme and other tick borne infections and might be able to help. . . ."
-

phyl6648
Member # 28522

Thank you Keebler, means a lot. I am closer to NC than to Northern VA. My husband passed Oct 7 2014 after a brief battle with cancer. Dx and was gone in 5 wks. Seems so much worse this year than last. Time doesn't heal..
shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoeless joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't do the anti depressant thing myself.

5htp (now brand) 100-500 mg a day and also L theanine same dose.

I find they work within 20 minutes unlike antidepressants.

Been taking them as needed for years and they have been a real life saver at times,helps with sleep too.

Don't take them if you are already on an SSRI.

The 5htp can upset your stomach a little but if taken with food is easily tolerable.

This message has been edited for easier reading by Joe,hehehehe.

Posts: 227 | From fairhaven ma | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement