LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Ice vs. heat for pain?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ice vs. heat for pain?
LaniMo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaniMo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All:

My physical therapist recommended cold therapy for my inflamed head, neck, and shoulders, but I prefer the feeling of moist heat.

Sometimes when I use cold packs, I feel like it makes my neck seize up more rather than relax it.

I'm also concerned that Burrascano says in his guidelines to avoid ice. Does anyone know why he made this recommendation?

What are your experiences of ice or heat for pain reduction? Do you alternate, or choose one or the other?

Thanks!

Posts: 118 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard a doc speak on this on the radio a few weeks ago. She said you can learn some info by trying ice on headaches.

Ice causes the blood vessels to constrict. Some headaches are a result of poor circulation, and ice is then going to be a very poor choice in those situations, likely making it worse. But then in other situations it could reduce pain. I don't recall if she said more on what might be going on there.

So she thought trying ice could be instructive.

I see you are not specifically referencing headache, but when you say "inflamed head", I wonder what that means, if not headache.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
As you say, Dr. B says no ice.

I would use ice but only at the moment of injury, not for on-going issue. I have read -- or maybe heard him explain in a conference video sometime - that spirochetes hate cold and they hate vibration - also high heat. Spirochetes can burrow more deeply and emit more toxins when irritated.

Still, just after some kind of injury, it would seem that ice might be important to prevent further pain.

For on-going pain, some WARMTH, however, can be good, especially moist gentle warmth.

If possible, find a PT who is very much lyme literate. There are so many things that go with lyme and if the PT is not LL, it can cause us more damage than good. It not just about this but all the tissue just is different for someone with lyme. Much different.

For others who may not have yet see this:

http://www.lymenet.org/BurrGuide200810.pdf

Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease (Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines for Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses

Dr. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines (2008) - 37 pages

Page 27 - SUPPORTIVE THERAPY & CERTAIN ABSOLUTE RULES for self-care

Page 32 - in the Physical Therapy section,

#2 . . . DO NOT use ice

or electrical stim unless specifically ordered by our office. . . .
-

[ 02-04-2016, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I also think that the reason you do better with moist gentle heat is that it helps smooth the spasming of the muscles that causes the pain. It allow the muscles to let go and relax.

Ice does that, too, but while first seizing them with a shock & numbing action to the muscles, so to speak. Just my thought, at least. And most of us do not do well with shocks to the system. For myself, I think the adrenals have also been put on high alert with ice therapy and that made me feel worse, too.

Massage may also work better for you if they can take their time and get to the trigger point, gently.

Ultimately, though, lyme - itself - often causes the muscles to seize and cause pain. While addressing the infection(s), be sure magnesium is on board 3 x day to help the muscles relax.

Cranial sacral therapy may be good, but never sharp or sudden twists of neck or spine (for anyone with lyme). A technique used by

UPLEDGER is gentle, though. Just go to their website to find those who have that training - many are covered by insurance. This would not replace physical therapy but could make it more effective.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement