LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Please explain homeopathic potencies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Please explain homeopathic potencies
susank
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have researched this - cannot understand.

I want to try some things but no idea what potency to start out with.

I understand there is a system - or many - but I just don't get it.

I am very sensitive - and want the mildest potencies.

The bottle of remedies I recently received - I think is much too strong for me.

I want to try one remedy at a time.
I'll have to order online from somewhere.
I need help with allergies (dust, pet dander and probably 1000 other things).

What form is better - pellets or drops?
One is supposed to succuss the drops - and that makes them more potent? (maybe I messed up doing that - I was not told to do it - but I did it).

I am herxing or having an aggravation (sp?).
Perhaps today's awful feeling (one of my very worst) is not from the drops. I think in the bottle is an allergen remedy. Along with a Lyme nosode and who knows what else. I suspect something in it is making my eyes in particular worse. (Lyme side effect ie dryness - or allergy side effect - burning and clear discharge)

Thanks any help. I feel dreadful poisoned overall. Again - maybe not from the drops.
I took them the same night I did a gram of Gamunex (immunoglobulins). From either or both - I feel deathly ill.

I probably need a homeopathic toxic remedy...

Still studying - maybe Nux Vomica?

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Nux V. is great for detox (based on personal experience).

Potencies in homeopathy can be confusing. Lowest potency is Mother Tincture. This is 1% actual substance and 99% inert ingredient(s). Homeopathic potencies are based on the Mother Tincture times the number of dilutions. So an X potency is far closer to the Mother Tincture and has not been succussed and diluted as much as C, M, LM, DM, etc. potencies.

The lower the potency, the shorter the duration and depth of action. So symptoms that are new, or conditions that are usually short duration or self-limiting (such as a cold or flu, or mild injury) are more likely to respond to an X potency remedy.

C (or CK) potencies are deeper/longer acting than X potencies, but still can be successfully used for acute or new symptoms (especially if an X potency is unsuccessful).

X and C potencies are usually the only potencies available over-the-counter in health food stores. Higher potencies (M, LM, etc.) are usually only available from a homeopathic pharmacy, homeopathic physician or online.

M, LM, DM, etc. potencies are typically only used to treat constitutional issues or chronic symptoms/conditions.

Nosodes are dosed differently; I'm not familiar with the prescribing guidelines for nosodes (I think Brussels knows more about this).

Tinctures vs. Pellets - depends on your personal preference. Tinctures can be used topically to treat skin issues. Tinctures have alcohol in them, though, which may be difficult to tolerate (esp. in the setting of Lyme, or if one is taking Flagyl).

Pellets are made from sugar (usually lactose, with or without dextrose or other forms of sugar as well), so if you're lactose intolerant or fighting yeast and trying hard to avoid all sources of sugar, then pellets may not be the best option.

Aggravations can be stopped or calmed down by taking a homeopathic antidote, such as drinking a cup of strong coffee, or taking a specific homeopathic remedy that is documented to be the antidote to the remedy causing the aggravation.

However, turning off an aggravation may slow down healing, so it is generally considered best to try to get through the aggravation without cancelling out the homeopathy.

I hope this helps... Take care,

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. From health food store today got:

Boiron - pellets - all in 30c
(though website says from 3c to 30c) ???

I selected these for allergies IIRC (after researching/ordering the other night).

Everything I have is chronic. Allergies, etc.
Opinion on these? Potency etc.......

I intend to try them individually of course.

The tubes say:

Rhus Tox - for joint pain improved by motion,

Nux Vom - heartburn or drowsiness due to excessive eating or drinking,

Phosphorous - dizziness with headache

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boiron makes a lot of different potencies of their remedies (can get them online).

30C is a very commonly used potency - most of the homeopathy I have at home is 30C.

Yes, those indications are correct, but those remedies can help other symptoms also. I use Phosphorus to help with my mild bleeding disorder, and also if my throat gets hoarse from too much talking.

I've also read that Phosphorus can constitutionally treat those who have a tendency to develop sensitivities and allergies, but I've not used it for this purpose.

Nux V. helps me with anything on the list from a Pepto-Bismol advertisement. I've also had Nux V. help with the nausea part of motion sickness, and also the nausea from sulfite reactions.

I haven't had much luck dealing with allergies solely with homeopathy (on my own), but I also have not worked with a homeopathic physician on allergies specifically.

YMMV

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SusanK...

There are 1,000's of different remedies and potencies, and it is not as easy as taking a particular remedy for a particular set of symptoms for a chronic condition (although this can be helpful for an acute condition).

It is much more complex than that. With Classical Homoeopathy, your entire personal history, personality, and attributes are taken into consideration in a case history before a remedy is chosen for you. This is an art that takes skilled practitioner; Classical Homeopaths study for years.

They are treating the individual as a whole, not just the symptoms. Usually only 1 remedy is given at a time, but remedies may change as the person progresses toward healing over time.

There are other, more recent forms of homeopathy (i.e., complex), where several different remedies/potencies are given at once or in rapid succession...but this method is not generally supported by Classical Homeopaths.

My point is that you may want to seek out an experienced practitioner instead of doing this on your own...as you can create confusion and patterns in the body that can be complicated, challenging, and time consuming to straighten out...

Posts: 1880 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

Thanks both of you.
I did see a doctor of classical homeopathy a few years ago - so I understand a bit of it.
I can't get in to see him.
I "just" want to try something against allergies/congestion etc i/o OTC or RX antihistamines. In general and in preparation for - hopefully - mHBOT.
Thanks again - much to consider here.
To add/mention: the indications on the tubes are not the reasons I selected them - I read about them for allergies.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you researched acupressure points for congestion?

You can do this on yourself...

Posts: 1880 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

P - no - but interesting. Will research that for sure.

I have an appt. with hema/oncol Tues. afternoon - (hopefully!). I hope she will run a total IGE test.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you write exactly what are you taking, with potency, and how many times a day or week, I may have an idea...

Like that, I can just guess, 30C is already a reasonably strong potency.

When i do not know much about a product, I only take X (or D) dilutions, and lower than X 60. Maximum an X30 or something like that.

Then I watch my body react. If it doesn't react, I increase the potency till I reach something like a X200.

If I still do not react, I change to a C30 or C60.

but of course, I'm not talking about classical homeopathy, just more 'down-to-earth' homeopathy.....

for allergies, I learned great stuff with dr K. Depending on the allergies, and the INTENSITY of reaction, start with VERY LOW dilutions. Meaning, something like a X 6, or even less.

I do that for many years with pollen. I start with something like X4, or X5... then when the itching stops, I stop, wait a day. Next day, I increase to X6, then X12, until the allergy stops again (or lowers). Then I wait.

It usually solves the problem before I reach X15. It solves the problem for many days, weeks, or for the whole season.

This is for acute cases of pollen. Dr. K uses that low dilutions for people and pets! It does work, I tested that for years, it works for everyone I tried.

Food allergies are a different thing...

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Water or pellets, they are the same. Originally, all remedies are made in water, then they spray that on sugar pellets, and they get imprinted (only externally).

Sugar is more stable than water. Sugar pellets keep their active principle better because of today's electrosmog problem...

Water remedies must be kept in metal containers or in places with less EMRs. Or wrapped in aluminium foil (faraday cage).

Before taking any homeopathic liquid, I succuss them a bit (like about 10-40 times), just to reinforce the message...

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

Thanks. I have had a very tiring past couple of days. Doctors, testing etc. Thanks again.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement