LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I think my appendix may have burst last night...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I think my appendix may have burst last night...
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a sharp, sudden, jolting pain in my lower right abdomen last night. It was tender to the touch.

This morning the pain is more dull but still there. Still hurts to touch, but maybe not as much???

Anyone have experience with anything like this?

Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Do you have a fever? Are you nauseated?

Glad it's better today but you need to see a doctor. Had your appendix burst (without medical care), you'd likely be dead by now. Still, especially if you have a fever it could be infected and that can cause great pain.

Bowel issues could also be involved, though it's best to get yourself to a doctor today. If your appendix might be on the path to rupture, you really need to try to prevent that.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
On 05 February you wrote:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=133461;p=0#000000

. . . I can't tell if Levaquin and Bactrim have helped or not after 6 weeks. . . . [end quote]

Are you still taking that? Even if not, for some time AFTER stopping it, all kinds of tendon issues may arise. You mentioned some tendon pain in an extremity . . . it's important to know that tendons even in your torso could be affected, too. Other issues, as well, could result from this classification of Rx.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=131279;p=0

Fluoroquinolones (Levaquin, Cipro, Gemifloxacin / Factive, etc.)

Links set - Vital detail
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get to the doctor or ER ASAP.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gallbladder is in that area.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had that horrible pain in right side after taking levaquin. I've EVERYTHING checked out (gallbladder, appendix, etc...).

It's just an awful, sharp pain that comes and goes.

One doc thought it was really bad spasms in my colon. Peppermint (tea and pepogest) help a bit.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get to the ER to get checked, but if it had burst it's really likely you'd feel really sick and it would still REALLY hurt.
Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
Get to the doctor or ER ASAP.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all, I think it's ok. It doesn't seem to hurt that much anymore.

I've read that they don't always do immediate surgery for appendicitis anymore. Sometimes they give flagyl for a couple of months along with another antibiotic. I'm taking flagyl so I wonder if that's why I'm ok... But it was probably something else.

It's down low, not near the gallbladder area. Definitely didn't seem to be a tendon either. But I know quinolones can mess anything up...

Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just keep in mind .. You can die by not taking action. I'm not saying this is what your medical situation is at this moment in time, but we have a friend who died because his wife didn't think it was an emergency and convinced him not to go to the hospital.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

I actually really needed to hear that Lymetoo, thank you. I'm so very very sorry to hear about your friend.

My family doesn't think anything is an emergency with me anymore. They always convince me to stay home. So far it hasn't been, but I'd hate to just sit here the one time that it really is an emergency. I hurt so bad I never can tell if I'm having an emergency or not.

The pain down there really is better I think, and I've made it 24 hours now. I'll be keeping a close eye on it though.

paleogal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paleogal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The classic symptom of appendix problems/swelling is "rebound tenderness", which means if you put pressure on it it feels better, and when you release your hand, it feels worse, in the lower right part of your abdomen.

(If anyone cares, it's because the appendix is usually curled a bit, and when it swells, it straightens out and hurts, so putting pressure makes it curl again, I think.)

I am not sure if this symptom still works if the appendix has ruptured, though.

It sounds like you're doing ok now (great news!!), but maybe this will help you or someone else in the future searching for appendix issues on the forum.

Good luck!

Posts: 243 | From Southern Arizona | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Thanks!

Mine actually hurts worse when I'm pressing on it, but feels better when I let go. So maybe it's something else.

The pain did come roaring back suddenly though a day or two ago. Had me on my hands and knees screaming and unable to move actually. My wife asked if she needed to call an ambulance. It's eased up some thankfully, but still hurts.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
"The pain did come roaring back suddenly though a day or two ago. Had me on my hands and knees screaming and unable to move actually." (end quote)

You really need to see a doctor. Today. There's more to consider than just the appendix. If you had that kind of sudden excruciating pain, cycles of such and still have pain - even if not as bad as it was - this is something that needs a proper medical evaluation. Now. Today.

A twist, constriction or break in the colon can be just as fatal as a burst appendix. Just because it's not as bad - or constant - does not mean you are out of the woods.

Your body has been sending signals that demand attention.

While it'd be good to be assessed and (hopefully) be cleared of the more serious possibilities, with a proper assessment, you'd have detail about what's actually going on - not just a guess. And you'd have instruction in what to do for your safety.

Otherwise, your wife could be in need of a black dress very soon. It could get to a point where even an ambulance ride might not get you out of this alive.

If you need an ambulance, of course call them. Otherwise, just don't drive. Be sure to arrange for others to drive you to doctor. It sounds like driving is off limits - and too dangerous for all on the road - until you know for sure what this is and it's all cleared.

In the meantime, be sure to avoid all gluten - as that could be one factor of many.

Take a list of all current Rx, etc. & for past 6 months or so. This could be a "flox" so they need clear details on that Levaquin, too.

Good luck. Hope you get some clear answers.
-

[ 02-20-2016, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
While appendix and colon structure assessment comes first,

Porphyria should also be considered along with genetic testing for celiac (not connected with each other but either / both could be involved):

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/91842?#000000

Topic: what type of M.D. tests for PORPHYRIA
-

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Keebler - your body is sending out signals and you need to be checked out medically, even just to be ruled out, which can happen with us a bit as well.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Y'all are right. I've just had so much radiation... But I have to get this looked at.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Maybe they could do an ultrasound.... also your WBC would be elevated if it's the appendix.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Well I had a ct scan in the ER today. Everything looks fine, like always. Frustrating and relieving at the same time.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Good news... sheesh. It's so crazy, isn't it?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Well, I'm very glad you got an image. That is a nice relief. Still, of course - something important is going on.

I've had such experiences as you describe. Found out it was both celiac AND porphyria to blame - and magnesium deficiency on top of those.

Once those under control, no more attacks for me now for many years.

1. CELIAC - if you are gluten free, you might evaluate to be sure nothing is slipping past you, even in lip balm, etc. Just because a product says it's gluten free does NOT guarantee it. It should be CERTIFIED GF and processed in a plant that is also certified.

DAIRY could also be involved.

GMO Foods, too.

Links here for all 3 of those categories:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors

Gluten, Dairy, GMO - gut influences

2. PORPHYRIA

This really sounds like it could be porphyria attacks.

Be sure to read the Porphyria detail and you might consider getting some tests on that, yet tests are not always helpful. The information in the links set can help you with lifestyle decisions that might help you determine if it might be a player.

Certain Rx, fasting diets, and genetics all play a role.

3. http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123746;p=0

Topic: MAGNESIUM - Informational Links set

Other minerals and nutrients to be considered, too, such as if potassium is out of line. Magnesium deficiency and/or potassium def. can cause severe muscle spasms but there might be others to consider as well.

4.Check your drinking water to be sure it's not carrying heavy metals or some kind of microbe that should not be there.

5. find out what kind of things the CT scan might not be able to interpret. Can it "see" ulcers? Check all your Rx for ulcerative colitis side effects, etc.

If you take aspirin, it can cause this, too.

An ulcer can affect any part of the GI tract.

H PYLORI might be considered, too.

6. Bowel health matters - be sure you are getting good complex carbohydrates and lots of them in all the colors from your produce departments.

If you take cholestyramime or Wechol, those could cause blockages and cramps, as well as mineral deficiencies.

7. Be sure to talk to your LLMD about this as they likely would know other things to consider or which other medical professionals who might be of help in solving this puzzle.

There must be an answer. Until you find in, I hope you can avoid driving.

Good luck. I sure hope you find what's going on and there are simple and effective ways to approach it.
-

[ 02-22-2016, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
VISCERAL MANIPULATION

http://iahe.com/html/therapies/vm.php

Visceral Manipulation / Neural Manipulation / New Manual Articular Approach

Visceral Manipulation was developed by French Osteopath, Jean-Pierre Barral. At optimal health, the relationship between the organs (viscera) and structures of the body (muscles, membranes, fasciae and bones) remains stable despite the body's endless varieties of motion.

But when one organ can't move in harmony with its surrounding viscera due to abnormal tone, adhesions or displacement, it works against all the body's organs and structures.

This disharmony creates fixed, abnormal points of tension that the body is forced to move around. That chronic irritation, in turn, paves the way for disease and dysfunction.

Visceral Manipulation (VM) is a gentle hands-on therapy that works through the body's visceral system (the heart, liver, intestines and other internal organs) to locate and alleviate these abnormal points of tension throughout the body.

http://www.upledger.com/findapractitioner.asp

FIND A THERAPIST trained in UPLEDGER TECHNIQUE (not all trained in cranial-sacral also have the visceral training so do ask first.)

Some who are trained in this (such as a D.O. or P.T.) may be covered by your insurance.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
In the meantime, you might find the best professional YouTube videos on GENTLE YOGA for your colon.

Very light lower abdominal self massage might help but just don't be too aggressive.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=119808;p=0

Topic: Treatment / Support for Gastroparesis

Many great links here - some may be relevant,including:

http://thehumansideoflyme.net/viewarticle.php?aid=62

BELL's PALSY OF THE GUT - Article - April 2006

by Virginia T. Sherr, MD

. . . Gastrointestinal Lyme disease may cause gut paralysis and a wide range of diverse GI symptoms with the underlying etiology likewise missed by physicians. . . .
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Yoga blocks work for me. Since I've started using this approach, my colon is SO much happier.

http://www.squattypotty.com/d-28/

SQUATTY POTTY

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/08/toilet-squat-video_n_7511706.html

If You Sit On The Toilet, You Don't Know Squat

Huffington Post - June 08, 2015

Two-minute video . . . and article.

Excerpt:

. . . Sitting creates a difficult angle for your waste to travel through, because the puborectalis muscle chokes the rectum, the video says. That apparently makes you strain and increases pressure on your abdomen. . . .
-

[ 02-22-2016, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement