LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Considering IV for first time. How necessary?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Considering IV for first time. How necessary?
Green_Where_You_Water
Member # 46647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green_Where_You_Water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had Lyme for over 10 years but have just began proper treatment with an LLMD about 4 months ago.

every month she has been switching up the orals, and every month I Herx really badly at first, feel pretty good for a week or 2 and then crash again.

She's thinking its time to begin IV treatment. I am waiting for the office to email me with information on cost and how treatment works, but wanted to see how it was for all of you.

I'm really freaked out by this because the last think I wanted was to have to do a PICC line.

Have any of you declined IV treatment and ended up doing fine without it? Im wondering if I should stick with orals for a while since I really haven't been in treatment for that long.

Or maybe my doc just realizes that I will need it anyway and doesn't want to drag it out.

Any thoughts? Is IV usually much better once you start?

Posts: 66 | From New York | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it turns out that you can't afford the IV (and insurance usually will only cover 30 days of IV) an alternative is injections into the butt.

Burrascano says this is better than oral meds and compares favorably to IV medication. See this quote:

"BENZATHINE PENICILLIN

Comparative studies published by Fallon et. al. at Columbia University have shown that parenteral therapy is superior to oral therapy in chronic patients. Options include intramuscular long acting penicillin G (benzathine penicillin, or “Bicillin-LA”) or intravenous antibiotics.

For an antibiotic in the penicillin class to be effective, time-killing curves show that significant levels of antibiotic must be sustained for 72 hours. Bicillin LA is a sustained release formulation that meets these criteria.

Published studies in children and adults, combined with over a decade of experience with this therapy by front line, Lyme-treating physicians have established the efficacy, safety and usefulness of this medication. In many patients it is more effective than oral antibiotics for treating Lyme, and compares closely to intravenous therapy in terms of efficacy if the dose is high enough.

It is usually administered three or four times weekly for six to twelve months. It has the advantage of being relatively inexpensive, free of gastrointestinal side effects, unlikely to promote the overgrowth of yeast, and has an excellent safety record spanning many decades.

Finally, an added plus is that family members can be trained to administer this treatment at home." (page 16)

http://www.lymenet.org/BurrGuide200810.pdf

Read about IV treatment following this quote. Page 17. On page 18, it gives the required dosage for the IM (intramuscular) injections.

These are not cheap, but as Burrascano says, compared to the cost of IV, they are "relatively" inexpensive.

There are lots of old posts on LymeNet where folks talk about their experiences with these injections. You may benefit by reading them.

This way, you could avoid IV and the major cost that it entails. And, you would be getting treatment that is better than oral meds.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green_Where_You_Water
Member # 46647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green_Where_You_Water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TF, thanks so much for the info! I will definitely talk to my doctor about this!
Posts: 66 | From New York | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't do either IV or injections. I did turn to alternative treatments though.

I tried one bicillin injection and didn't like the lump it left in my butt. I told my LLMD (it made him laugh) and he switched me to something else. There is more than one way to get well and not everyone does IV.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement