LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Sinus noises - clicking, snap, crackle, pop!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sinus noises - clicking, snap, crackle, pop!
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi folks:

Since dealing with my flare up from December I've been having some issues with post nasal drip and top of head pressure.

Googling, I've read this can be due to sinus issues, potentially the Spenoid sinus. I think the sinus issues I'm having is due to LYme & Co. Possibly Babs or Protomyxzoa. (Sinus pressure and Post Nasal is on Dr. C's symptom list for Proto.)

Anyway...about 2 weeks ago I bought a neti pot. I've used them in the past when having post nasal and it always worked well.

I used the neti pot around Feb 29 or March 1 using warm tap water (we have a whole house water filter than filters out bugs, etc) and the saline packet.

After using it, my sinuses swelled up a bit. I thought I got all of the water out and went to bed. The following morning I got up, bent down, and low and behold water dumped out of my sinuses. It had been in there all night.

I did a neti pot again a few days later making sure to get the water out completely.

Since that time, my sinuses have been feeling very bad. Pressurized at the bridge of my nose, or the maxillary sinuses under the left or right eye.

On top of pressure, I get frequent "clicking" noises in them. I'll be sitting at my desk at work and will hear them click click click as if air is moving around in the mucous inside. It sounds like Rice Krispies "Snap, Crackle, Pop!" Sometimes I feel it in my upper teeth, back molars.

Also, when I walk around I get a clicking in my left ear / upper left teeth sinus area. It seems to go away if I push on the bridge of my nose (ethmoid sinus?).

Has anyone ever had "clicking" sinuses?

I'm wondering if my neti potting made the situation worse?? Before using the Neti, I didn't have any pressure or noises/sensations in my sinuses at all. I only had post nasal.

Saw my LLMD 2 days ago and he is doing a culture of my nasal passages to look for bacterial or fungus. In the mean time, I'm off abx and on Diflucan and Flonase along with "simply saline" spray.

Good news is, since upping the Liposomal Artemisinin 2 days ago my hot flashes / sweats are GREATLY IMPROVED (as in gone for now) And I've actually SLEPT the past 2 nights. No insomnia. My brain actually feels clearer as well, although I still have top of head pressure (feels as if someone is pushing down with 2 fingers) and a woozy/off balance feeling.

I hope these improvements hold and hope I continue to improve. Perhaps this is Babs or Proto and I'm finally responding to the Ivermectin/Liposomal Artemisinin.

Has anyone ever had clicking sinuses / snap crackle pop? And how did you get it to stop??

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xlear nasal spray is great for sinuses, as is the BEG nasal spray (compounded solution with abx and antifungals)

I never had much relief from the neti pot either so I stopped using it. If you try it again, I would use distilled water, not tap.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is great you are feeling better! Yes, I've had those clicking noises before in my sinuses but I'm not sure what it was.

I remember trying the neti pot too, but my sinuses were blocked, no water would go in on one side. I just thought maybe too much mucus (it's gone now).

Does your doc think it's babs? Are you still on the diet?

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Catgirl, how did you get it to go away? Did you only have it for a few days or was it weeks / months?

LLMD doesn't know what it is. He did a deep nasal swab and is sending out for culture (bacteria / fungus). It will take a month. If we find something we will treat, although I'm on Diflucan in the interim.

I think he believes this is just a layer of the illness I'm burning through and thinks my musculoskeletal system of my neck/ head/jaw is partly to blame.

Fungus could be a major part, as could Babs / parasite / Protomyxzoa.

I worry I somehow introduced a new variable into this mess with my Neti pot as my sinuses were not bothering me before and all I feel now is pressure on the bridge of my nose.

I'm no longer on the ketogenic diet but am still sugar free and reduced carb.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenotlite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've found a better solution than a neti pot. I taped a dome shaped washer onto the tip of my dental irrigator and then I spray my nasal passages using a salt and xylitol solution.

Gets your sinuses cleared better than the neti pot. Don't know whether that would help your current situation.

Posts: 705 | From WA state | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No idea whether these suggestions would help:

My sinuses cleared for 48 hours upon drinking mangosteen juice, an anti-inflammatory juice - various versions can be found at the health food store.

Also, I watched someone tape small 10-gauss magnets to their forehead just over the inside corner of their eyes and their sinuses cleared up.

Another idea is to get cranial work and see if that would settle your head bones more. It doesn't take that long to do - a skilled practitioner checks all the head bones to make sure they're moving and not stuck.

Off-balance feeling can come from top vertebrae being out of place. A good chiropractor can check.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did the nasal swab test too, and was later given a compounded spray which may be why it's gone. I can't remember, but I think the spray got rid of the noise right away, or maybe a few days later. Your doc will know more when the test results come back.

No, don't beat yourself up over the netti pot. The salt may have made a small dent there and that could have something to do with your reaction.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tulips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sinuses were totally blocked on one side with mucous from April 2015 to March, 2016. This is gross so forgive me: on the side that was totally blocked with mucous, whenever it got really full, I blew my nose with a tissue, using a milking motion on that nostril until I couldn't get anything else

To come out of it. Then I sprayed Xylitol into it as well as the other side and put my head way back and sniffed so that it would go as far into my sinus passages as it could go. I angled the nose dropper toward the opening of my sinuses. The Xylitol melts mucous so you will feel it running

down the back of your throat. Then once a week or twice a week I used 1 spray of Flonase in either nostril. The Flonase was key to finally drying up The sinuses but you can't over use it. Only one spray every 12 hours is recommended and there were warnings about it in the paperwork that comes with it but I don't think I could have beat it without Flonase.

And at night when both sides would be blocked, on the best side, I used 1 spray of Walmart's Equate Nasal Spray which has listed as the only ingredient - Phenylephrine HCI 1% which hasn't been habit forming.

Regarding the clicking and fullness, it sounds like you have water in your sinuses which is blocked with mucous. Melting the mucous with Xylitol should eventually clear it. It also might help to lay down on your side with a hot water bottle held to the sinus area which might melt the mucous and free up the water. I used a heating pad.

Posts: 653 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would NOT use tap water, no matter how good your filter is. NO way. Use distilled water. It's not that expensive and much safer.

I've had mild clicking that I can hear if I have ear plugs in at night and my sinuses are bad.

Go buy one of those Neil Med sinus spray bottles. Also... I react to baking soda, and it's in those packets they sell. Perhaps you are also reacting to it... hence the swelling.

On those booklets that Neil Med puts out, they even talk about people reacting to the baking soda. Their solution is to increase the amount, but that won't work for me. I am simply sensitive to it.

I use KOSHER salt and distilled water for my sinus rinses.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.webmd.com/allergies/cleaning-nasal-passages-with-salt-water

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement