LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » mental herx???? reaction to meds????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: mental herx???? reaction to meds????
doshey
Member # 46853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doshey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I am freaking out and need your help.

I just started about a week and a half ago IV rocephin. Before that I started about a month ago rofampim, azythromicin, minocycline.

Yesterday I started not sleeping and still having a lot of energy. Acute mania. What should I do????
Is it a herx?? Side effect??? Advice????

Posts: 71 | From NYC | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herxes can cause neuropsychiatric symptoms. It's better to be safe than sorry. I recommend calling your doctor's emergency line immediately, and if he or she doesn't get back in a timely manner, going to the ER since you mentioned acute mania. That's just my opinion. Best to you.
Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doshey
Member # 46853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doshey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, my doc has no emergency number. Do you know if I do end up needing er if the er psych doctors know and understand about Lyme disease?
Posts: 71 | From NYC | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know. But if you are concerned about acute mania going into full blown mania, they may be able to prescribe something until tomorrow to try to ensure that the episode doesn't become more severe. Or, you could try an urgent care center possibly.

Do you have a family member you can call to be with you?

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabe
Member # 47670

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Doshey,

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. Have you had manic episodes in the past? I agree it's a good idea to connect with a medical professional if you're feeling this way. In my experiences there's quite a bit of division in docs as to how they see Lyme disease. And sure, if this doesn't usually happen to you, it could very well be an adverse reaction from the meds or something else to do with the lyme.

I would bring any documentation you have regarding it with you to ER if you can, along with a list of the meds you're taking and yes, if possible, a good friend or family member!

As for other things you can do to try and settle your nervous system yourself and be able to deal with the situation more calmly, try taking long, slow inhales, making sure to fill the lower belly with breath, and stretching the exhales even longer, out through the nostrils for at least three minutes. Then, block off the right nostril and breathe only through the left for three minutes. To finish, take your hands up above and in front of you on an inhale, and sweep them down slowly as you exhale a few times, to bring your energy down. A simple energy medicine technique. If that doesn't work, there is also EFT. Here's a little video to demonstrate a process to address anxiety in the moment: http://eft.mercola.com If you scroll down the page, there are also ones for panic attacks and for calming oneself before bedtime to be able to sleep. I hope these might be helpful.

Please keep us posted. I hope you feel much better soon!

Gabe

--------------------
"Keep up, and you will be kept up." Y.B.

Posts: 25 | From BC | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

I've been thinking about this. Please try and get a friend or family member to come over as soon as possible. Acute mania can often spiral quickly to the point where someone doesn't know they need help when they are in a full-blown episode, and that can be a mess. I encourage you to go to the er.

Even if the docs don't believe in Lyme, they can hopefully prescribe something to halt the possibility of a full-blown episode.

Please keep us posted. I'm sorry you're going through this. We will help you all we can, and you're not alone. Hugs.

doshey
Member # 46853

Thanks everyone for your help. I am married and my husband helps me. He is keeping a close eye on me.

I would like to explain what I meant by mini mania. This past Friday night, I only slept 3 hours. I felt full of energy that I needed to socialize and get out of house. all day!!!

Last night, I only slept 4 hours. I woke up again full of energy. My psychiatrist that is LLMD, is on vacation and the person in charge is just a regular psychiatrist.

The psychiatrist did raise my meds. I am on two different mood stabilizers. The good news is I'm starting to feel tired now and I'm able to sit and watch TV.

I'm hoping this is just a herx. I'm going to focus on major detox now. I'm about to take a Epsom salt bath. I hope this works.

Any other advice or help would appreciated.

bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Detox clorella. ..maybe melatonin for sleep..are you on liver support? You are doing quite a bit..

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely detox and be careful about starting the IV "too soon" again.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went through mini mania episodes when I was treating Lyme. I would have a burst of energy and couldn't stop talking, like it was practically uncontrollable.

After the episode ended I would be exhausted and just feel really weird in the head. Don't know how else to explain it. Kind of like derealization( is that the word).

My doctor first prescribed Lamictal, but I had a serious side effect. Then I had to take Remeron. He diagnosed me with Cyclothymia.

Later I went to a psychiatrist toward the end of my Lyme treatment, and she said I didn't have that, changed my meds to an SSRI. I was also taking Xanax. I felt better on these meds.

Lyme does crazy things to your brain and some of us have to take psych meds at least temporarily to relieve the symptoms. I think it would be hard to say whether it is caused from a herx or just the disease itself. I'm leaning toward the ketes at least in my case.

Just take note if it keeps recurring.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i gave up. I just do crazy all the time.

if people think I'm being wierd fine

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doshey
Member # 46853

Bluelyme, I take glutathione for liver. I'm getting Tuesday IV glutathione. I hope it will help me.

U think this is a mental herx?

doshey
Member # 46853

Lyme too, u think the IV caused me to mental herx? Or u think the IV rochephin caused all this as a side effect?
doshey
Member # 46853

Sutherngirl, are you off the SSRI? Do people get off psych meds after Lyme is cleared up?? What did the psychiatrist diagnose you with?
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
doshey .. just my guess that it's more likely a herx than a side effect .. but who knows?

Just be careful. Sometimes we herx too hard and need to back off.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doshey, I am in the process of SSRI withdrawal. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I didn't have depression before Lyme, but have always had anxiety off and on.

Lyme can really affect your brain, as spirochetes love the brain and other organs. Brain issues should resolve with treatment and detox.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doshey
Member # 46853

Thanks everyone for their help. Update: last night I still only slept 4 hours but the good news is I woke up from physical pain in my stomach.

A side effect of one of my psych meds is constipation. Plus I do feel tired now, which the last 2 days I woke up with energy. I also feel calmer (not yet fully myself) but a major improvement.

I'm really thinking this was a mental herx. Its very scary. I will be calling my llmd to see what to do now about antibiotics.

me
Member # 45475

Glad to hear you slept and glad you are calling you're doc's office today. Thanks for keeping us posted.
doshey
Member # 46853

So my doctor called back and he said 100% there is a thing called psyc\mental herx, as long as you had the issues before starting the antibiotics. Right now I need to stop the antibiotics he said for a few days.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement