LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Need to gain weight!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need to gain weight!
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sort of in desperation mode here, trying to gain weight.

Here's my dilemma, and maybe y'all can offer me advice.

Carbs give me great energy and allow me to do things (and probably help put weight on).... BUT I get sick if I eat certain carbs. This is partly due to food sensitivities, and I think from Candida as well. I wake up the next day in a lot of pain.

So how can I gain weight? Someone tell me there's a magic shake or carbohydrate that I can eat lol

How can I get more calories in my diet with a stomach this sensitive to so many foods? Grrrrr

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of all of the foods that you CAN eat, eat more of the high-calorie ones that fit into the anti-yeast diet. For example, if you can eat nuts, snack on them all day long, a little at a time.

When you get tired of one, switch to another, or mix them together.

If you can eat avocados, they are also high calorie. Make guacamole or eat them in your favorite ways.

Have you looked into the causes of many food sensitivities? If you could figure out what is causing the sensitivities, obviously, your problem would be solved.

For example, mast cell activation disorder:

http://lymemd.blogspot.com/2015/06/mast-cell-activation-disorder-mcad-new.html

This disorder is very common among lyme patients and it causes food sensitivities.

Also, of course, is the need to detoxify. I knew a lady that could only eat 5 foods by the end of her lyme treatment. Then, she went to an Ayervedic practitioner who detoxified her from her tetanus and flu shots, etc. that had been in her for years. That totally took care of her problem.

IV glutathione does wonders for many who can't detoxify. Or, the glut suppositories, prescription needed. They can be used nightly and come close to the IV in effectiveness, based on what others have told me.

Good to hear from you canefan!

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks TF.

And that's me in a nutshell. I'm down to 5 or 6 foods, no lie.
The rest cause a great deal of pain for me.

I will look into your suggestions.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope you saw this too, canefan:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/133927/2

I have fewer than 10 foods now.. but hoping to be on the upswing soon!

Be sure to get a copy of Dr Lawrence Afrin's new book "Never Bet Against Occam."

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Thanks Lymetoo

So could someone help me out - I have bad brain fog right now and can't read a lot.

Lowering histamine levels (which I've heard of before for Lyme patients) can be done with Zyrtec? Some people with food sensitivities take Zyrtec with food? 3 times a day or what?

And no one is sensitive to Zyrtec?

Also - I just ordered glutathione liposomal and plan on taking it. Think it's important.

I'm so tired of being in pain after eating meals, and losing weight.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can take it at any time to get the effect. Zyrtec makes me feel exhausted, so I take Claritin. I only take it if I get really itchy.

I try not to take anti-histamines since they don't "cure" the problem. They only help with symptoms.

What you really want to see about is the cromolyn sodium... That is what will help save your foods.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may find this website helpful:

http://paleoleap.com/visual-guide-histamine-intolerance/

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tulips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have Candida, could you get a prescription for Nystatin to control it? Then if sugar wasn't a problem, you could have an Ensure a couple of times a day. I think the one that puts weight on is called a nutrition shake and is pretty tasty.
Posts: 653 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Protein powders help me. The best one out there is Orgain. I love it and it mixes well with water. I can't say it will help in your particular situation, but is worth a try. It's not that expensive even. I get it from Amazon.

I first learned about it on the lyme forum at healingwell.com. There may be more info and testimonials there. I'm sure Amazon has some reviews on it. I think it was put together by a doctor suffering from cancer and cachexia, but don't quote me on that.

Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poor you...

I wouldn't consider drugs to solve the problem of underweight, food allergies, bad nutrient absorption, because this is chronic and life threatening.

Nothing chronic can be solved by magic drugs.

It went chronic due to different problems, not one that you can fix with a button... unfortunately.

I have (or had) the problem too. Specially during lyme, as I was so hungry, ate more, but still lost weight...

For me, the main problem is the gut:
1- lack of good probiotics or good flora balance

2- candida, parasites, infections including many lyme related infections

3- high need of antioxidants, cleaning organs with chlorella and other binders or there is no proper digestion

4- avoid at all means the food you react allergically as that will increase inflammation in the gut, making more of the leaking gut problem, then INCREASING drastically the number of foods you get allergic

5- avoid all chemicals in food (additives, pesticides, glutamate, ghyphosate, aspartame, colorants, preservatives, etc). They have absolutely no good function in the gut and digestive organs

Just glyphosate alone, present in most wheat products or non organic products can cause such a havoc you wouldn't like to hear now (if you would like, just google glyphosate and health problems).

It's havoc to the gut flora, killing good bacteria, leaving very dangerous, deadly bacteria thrive in there. If you see how SKINNY the people who get poisoned by glyphosate become, you would run away from non-organic grains.

They lose all their muscles, like they are starving....

The problem is here with many farmers who use glyphosate in their farms. Not only farmers get ill, but their cows, animals too (they eat glyphosate).

6- choose a diet that fits your body, not someone else's body. I like energetic tests but you got to find your own way.

People kept telling me to get off carbs, but I feel literally dying if I do that.

7- enzymes, good enzymes, live food they are a must for digestion and all body functions

8- PEMF or high frequency devices help me immensely on digestion (or the digestive liquids, like bile, get stuck somewhere).

9- light exercises (walk) for about an hour a day help digestion.

10- in my case, I need raw veggies and fruits, in reasonable amounts, to have my gut functioning perfect. My body loves raw leaves, carrots, fennel, etc... I know some people cannot tolerate that.

Some people swear by those bone broth, from chicken or fish, as they are said to fix the gut lining. But I still cannot tolerate much of this (just a bit fine, or I get bloated).

11- Indians teach a gut massage that I find good: you got to put all your fingers in your abdomen and massage it in circles (youtube it, you will find it). It helps moving the food inside, and also for you to find problem spots (if too painful, means high inflammation)

12- the chinese teach a wonderful reflex massage on the soles, for constipation (it's not my case, so I do not use too often). But this massage helped me many times to spot areas of problems (like saving someone from appendicitis crisis)

13- I would try a bowel transplant, if I found someone to do that (probably from my husband). It is said to be miraculous.

I still didn't go that extreme, but I really heard life saving stories from that, and amazingly fast!

Newly born animals such as horses do eat their mother's excrement, instinctively, before they are able to eat grass. That is how their GI bacteria is given a boost. [dizzy]

anyway, these are some suggestions that come to my mind.

My muscle wasting stopped WHEN the food allergies stopped increasing. I'm slowly increasing weight after losing it for the last 5 years...

I still have food allergies, but they stopped raising like hell, and making me crazy.

In my case, there is a direct relation between weight lost and bad gut, that's for sure. Chlorella did a lot to me, I think because of its binding powers to clean organs and because it has all aminoacids (proteins) your body needs.

My lyme doc uses to prescribe some special aminoacid pills, some that are easily absorbed.
They can help you keep nourished while you are trying to fix the gut (which takes literally months, unless you go for the fast bowel transplant solution....) [Big Grin]

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Thanks for all the help. My doctor prescribed me marinol (dronabinol). It's marijuana in a pill. Well THC.

Used for HIV, cancer, and even Lyme patients who are muscle wasting.

We shall see. I will apply some of the other recommendations from your comments too.

Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just measure my weight today, and I'm practically back to where I was before lyme, more than 10 years ago!

I lost weight for the last 5-6 years!

Let's see if it will stay.

good luck with your marihuana pills!!!! [Cool]

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement