LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » implant vs. bridge???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: implant vs. bridge???
WPinVA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok folks, help me out...

Would you vote for an implant or a bridge for someone with chronic Lyme?

Had a tooth pulled a few months ago. It was a root canal gone bad and I feel better now that it's out. I need to figure out what to put there and I don't want to start any new problems.

I was originally going to get an implant but now I'm not sure after reading about issues with sensitivity to titanium, and also that you are supposed to be in "good" general health.

But the down side of a bridge is I'm not happy about grinding down the teeth on both sides.

Ugh! Help!

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dal123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dal123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read tooth truth by dr dawn Ewing and whole body dentistry by Mark bruener (sp).
Posts: 532 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worked in dentistry for yearsssss....

Depends on where this tooth is? But a fixed bridge is just fine. Don't worry about the prep of the other teeth. If you have a great dentist, you won't be able to tell that you have a bridge. It should be close to the gun tissue and have great margins around each tooth. Cleaning, flossing is a must with a bridge, but it's also a must with an implant.

Implant is ok for some.... others have issues. It will be screwed into your bone... a 'post' above the tissue for a crown to be attached. Cleaning under it is tricky and you have to keep it clean.

With Lyme, I would opt for the bridge, but that's me. Cost is less with a fixed bridge too..... should be.

It really is ok for the 'grinding' of the other teeth... they prep them smaller for the crowns to fit the same size of what the teeth are now.

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same concerns.
Was really afraid to do something permanent in case I did not like it/or I reacted to the materials/whatever.

So I opted for a "flipper".

I take it out at night.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks so much for the feedback.

Is there any way a Lyme patient would have issues with a bridge?

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a bridge. never had problems.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My father had bridges. With the years, the good teeth on which the bridges were standing on got problems (infection / invisible cavities) because there is always some food infiltration under.

A bridge is placed on top of good teeth, but there is always some space under, where liquids go in.

A bit like what happens to cavities: the ceramic or plastic put on top can also break, or have tiny cracks or just bits of infiltration, and they may need to be changed, with the years.

For the look, bridge is better than removable partials.

I opted for removable partials because my teeth health was bad.

I kept losing teeth even AFTER lyme (during lyme too). Some roots got infected and ended up killing cavity-free teeth.

I wouldn't risk putting bridges just because of health concerns. I can't even consider implants (nothing will hold on my jawbones, I think, after all those jaw cavitation surgeries I did...).

What I like with partials is that you take them off, clean them, put them back. Mine were done in Switzerland, they are very good.

Besides, once you do one partial, next time you get another tooth pulled out, you barely have to pay anything extra.

I made if of the purest gold possible, because I do not react to gold badly (some people do). Every component of the alloy was tested energetically for me.

So far, I'm glad. I have one for about 8, 9 years, the other is newer (about 1.5 year).

The only bad point is the aesthetic part (as one can see some of the gold). But as I said, I had no option due to weak teeth.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Thank you... that is a good point about the bridge. That is my fear with a bridge - compromising the healthy teeth.

I would be the type to be bothered by a denture, I think. I dunno...I guess I could try it.

I just don't know. I feel like all the options aren't great, and I wish there were better options!!!

garnet10
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for garnet10     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you looked into zirconium implants? They are very expensive, but the zirconium is supposed to be less reactive than titanium.
Posts: 116 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, that is what I would do, if I opted for implants: zirconium.

You'll still need strong bones for implants.

In case my teeth health improves considerably, I may consider zirconium implants too. But I fear all those bones implants that I shall need... that is why I keep my partials.

It's not a perfect solution... The only good thing is that I know I can get rid of all metals in a second, in case I want all metals out.

In case of an implant (ziconium or not), it would mean another surgery to take them off (in case my health deteriorates)...

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

thanks so much for the thought, yes I have considered looking into zirconium. Hard to find someone who does it but one place seems to offer it so I'm thinking of going in for a consult. Good to know you've both heard good things.

thank you!

norcal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in need of an extraction and have been debating the same options.
I'm glad this has been brought up and being discussed.
So far I am trying to get a zirconium implant as I have healthy jaw bone in that area.
Waiting for a second opinion as to whether this tooth actually needs to come out.
I have some time between extraction and having the next step( implant) done .
I will be watching this topic and continue to form my decision.
Thanks for posting VPinVA,good luck in making your choice.

Posts: 342 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

I have been researching and reading... The Whole Body Dentistry book is fantastic.

A bonded bridge looks like it may be a good option.

Any thoughts or experience with bonded bridges?

faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two dental implants which are titanium. No issues at all.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does one know if you have healthy enough bone?

I've been told my bone is infected, but I have no pain--this only got discovered on x-ray accidentally when I was supposed to get a new crown made higher to correct my bite.

Can they scrape the infection out before they do the bone graft?

I'm on argentyn 23 for lyme right now--any chance that would circulate into the bone?

It's good to hear titanium hasn't caused any problem for you Faithful!

I'd like to get tested for titanium by biological dentist, but there aren't any near by for me. I'm thinking of just doing it!

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops--accidentally erased my comment before posting about the tooth being an upper molar and that a sinus lift/bone graft would be necessary.
Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had two different dentists do the implants and both put a bone graft in, months before the actual implant.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

quote:
Originally posted by Marz:

I'd like to get tested for titanium by biological dentist, but there aren't any near by for me. I'm thinking of just doing it! [/QB]

At the very least, get a cheap titanium bracelet and wear it for a few days. Not as good as real testing but better than nothing!

I'm doing this right now. No issues at all.

Marz
Member # 3446

After reading this article, it beats me why everyone isn't tested for allergy to titanium before they do a complicated and expensive procedure!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3753052/

I've ruled out root canal, a bridge is risky for my bite/TMJ and I was leaning toward implant.

I'm going to get a bracelet WPinVA. I'm not a jewelry person, but found one I'd love to wear just for fun too! Thanks.

My naturopath tests me for suppls and I asked if she could do it for titanium and said no.

[ 09-09-2016, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: Marz ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement