LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Tick bite help (with pics)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tick bite help (with pics)
goonie
Member # 48825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goonie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5 nights ago I noticed something itching on my lower right side, but thought nothing of it. Then the next morning I noticed something itching higher up on my right side. I didn't pay much attention to it until later in the day when I looked and saw it was a tick attached. I used tweezers to grab him by the head and pull him out. He came out intact and he didn't seem to be engorged so I just flushed him. I had a round red mark where he was and also a splotch where I guess he was the night before lower down my back. So two bite marks in all. The lower one is just a red splotch with no shape, but the one higher up has a more distinctive shape.

Can you guys help me in determining if I need to see anyone about this? It doesn't itch anymore and it's the size of a quarter and not growing. I don't have any other symptoms that I can tell. I live in the Southeastern US where Lyme is uncommon. The pictures below are of the same bite, one up close and one a bit further away. I'm not sure what a Lyme bite looks like as compared to a regular tick bite as I've never been bitten before.

-

-

Posts: 7 | From Atlanta, GA | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get to a doctor as soon as possible and get a minimum of 2 antibiotics as soon as possible--maybe doxycycline and tindamax bc there is some research that shows doxycycline alone can push the bacteria further Into the cells.

I recommend you make an appointment with a LLMD in the meantime. You can make a separate post for seeking LLMD .

Can you travel to MD? There is a very good LLMD who can see you within a few weeks. You don't want to mess around with this.

More people will chime in as the day goes on.

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like it could be tick bite and Lyme is more common than you think in the southeast.

If you had an attached tick and you have the rash you have Lyme. Take the pics to the MD and go as soon as possible.

I would do as "me" suggests in terms of treatment.

My neighbor had a very similar situation last year. He got immediate treatment and never had any symptoms.

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8887 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goonie
Member # 48825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goonie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. Went to the doctor to get checked out explained the situation and showed the bites. She said one was infected and the other one (pictured above) was indicative of Lyme. She said since it's so early that 2 weeks of Doxycycline should clear it up and wasn't worried in the least. They did some blood test for Lyme and I was out the door.

My dad had the same thing happen to him a couple of years ago. However, he waited until he was really sick then got treated with Doxycycline and it cleared right up. His doctor said it wasn't Lyme but STARI.

Anyway, that's my update. Hope the Doxycycline doesn't push the Lyme further into the cells. Thanks for everyone's input!

Posts: 7 | From Atlanta, GA | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you got doxy, but two weeks of antibiotics isn't enough. Please don't learn the hard way

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Goonie,

So sorry for what you are going through. The good news is that although unlucky enough to get bites and apparent lyme, you were lucky enough to have proof with your body showing you.

You may be able to prevent it from getting too bad. Yet, even if you can't get flagyl, now, if you consult a lyme literate MD - LLMD - it could be added later.

You might try to approach your doctor and request flagyl, though, be aware that most doctors do not believe it's more than a short course of treatment so be SAVVY in how you approach and react to their decision.

Then find a LLMD for further help.

OTHER TICK BORNE INFECTIONS will need to be assessed, too (sorry to break that to you but better to know now that too late).

Correct: Two weeks of one single kind of antibiotic is not enough. You need combination treatment with a different classification of drug (such as flagyl) in addition to an antibiotic and for much longer than two weeks time.

Doxycycline (or any single antibiotic), alone, can cause lyme to become chronic and much harder the treat. It forces it into the cystic form and antibiotics don't touch that form. Something like flagyl is required as well.

Stay out of sun with doxyclycline, too.

Avoid steroids and vaccines until you consult a LLMD regarding how your immune system is doing.

Don't let anyone tell you - or your father - that STARI is not lyme. Glad to hear it cleared up for your father, yet, if he has any chronic health issues, it's important to consider.

Some people get lucky. And, for some, the strain of borellia is just an easier strain, too, &/or their immune systems are better off.

Be sure to take excellent care yourself, no alcohol, good rest, no aerobic exercise for now yet do move as best you can - stay out of sun, though. Gentle does it.

http://www.medsci.org/v10p0915.htm

http://www.medsci.org/v10p0915.pdf [as 17 page pdf]

Int J Med Sci 2013; 10(7):915-931. doi:10.7150/ijms.6273

Research Paper

Lyme Borreliosis in Human Patients in Florida and Georgia, USA - 2013

Kerry L. Clark1, , Brian Leydet1,2, Shirley Hartman3

1. Department of Public Health, University of North Florida, 1 UNF Drive, Jacksonville, Florida USA 32224;

2. Current address: Department of Pathobiological Sciences, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana USA 70803;

3. Mandarin Wellness Center, Jacksonville, Florida, USA 32257.

Abstract:

The aim of this study was to determine the cause of illness in several human patients residing in Florida and Georgia, USA, with suspected Lyme disease based upon EM-like skin lesions and/or symptoms consistent with early localized or late disseminated Lyme borreliosis.

Using polymerase chain reaction (PCR) assays developed specifically for Lyme group Borrelia spp., followed by DNA sequencing for confirmation,

we identified Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato DNA in samples of blood and skin and also in lone star ticks (Amblyomma americanum) removed from several patients who either live in or were exposed to ticks in Florida or Georgia.

This is the first report to present combined PCR and DNA sequence evidence of infection with Lyme Borrelia spp. in human patients in the southern U.S., and to demonstrate that several B. burgdorferi sensu lato species may be associated with Lyme disease-like signs and symptoms in southern states.

Based on the findings of this study, we suggest that human Lyme borreliosis occurs in Florida and Georgia, and that some cases of Lyme-like illness referred to as southern tick associated rash illness (STARI) in the southern U.S. may be attributable to previously undetected B. burgdorferi sensu lato infections.

Article excerpts:

Table 1

Demographic and clinical characteristics of study patients, and Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato detected in attached ticks.

Table 2

Results for Lyme enzyme immunoassay (EIA) and Western Blot (WB) antibody tests, BSK spirochete culture, and Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato PCR test results, and clinical diagnoses of study patients.

[Full articles at links above]

Of note, the first author listed above received a Lyme Disease Association Grant

Effective dates: Summer 2009 through Spring 2010. His research resume is very impressive. If he is connected with any study you might come across, he sure looks like an excellent researcher to have on any team:

https://www.unf.edu/bio/N00008824/

Kerry L Clark

Professor • Epidemiology & Environmental Health
Public Health • Brooks College of Health - University of North Florida
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Doxycycline cautions:

1. Even autumn or winter sun, even early morning or late afternoon sun can burn. "Doxy burns" can be very rough.

avoid sunlight on your skin (even "bounced" sun - or through a window) even for weeks after stopping doxycycline if you go onto a different antibiotic.

2. Food with doxy is vital to protect stomach. But no dairy. Do not take with any multi minerals, either. The food minerals will lessen the medicine level and make it not as effective.

A substantial meal, in the middle with some food before and after the doxycycline really matters.

Protect stomach but do not take a PPI - proton pump inhibitor (they have some negative effects). take doxy with a substantial snack or meal - in the middle so you've got some food before and after

Avoiding gluten can help with the stomach, too.

3. keep torso as close to upright as possible for at least 30 minutes after doxycycline taken so as to help protect esophagus from the irritation it can cause if lying down.

Depending upon the angle of the particular chair, the most upright position of a recliner MIGHT be okay if you must rest your head or put your feet up, just don't slink down.

PROTECT EARS / HEARING - when taking certain Rx, the ears need protection. Ear plugs with a hair dryer . . . decibel rated muffs with a blender, vacuum, lawn equipment, etc.

Careful around loud music and best to avoid in the ear pods. There is a link in the Liver Support thread that explains why.
-

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too. Essential with any treatment for lyme.

EAR / HEARING PROTECTION note of vital importance, too.

PROBIOTICS also vital, take a couple hours away from antibiotic (both clock directions)
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
A Basic Template:

http://www.lymenet.org/BurrGuide200810.pdf

Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease (Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines for Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses

Dr. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines (2008) - 37 pages

Page 27 - SUPPORTIVE THERAPY & CERTAIN ABSOLUTE RULES for self-care
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dana-parish/its-a-scandal--daryl-hall_b_11118332.html

THE BLOG

“It’s A Scandal” - Daryl Hall on Doctors Denying Chronic Lyme . . . in interview with Dr. H, well-respected ILADS LLMD

By Dana Parish - Huffington Post - July 22, 2016
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She can't possibly "know" it's STARI... and it really doesn't matter. You treat Lyme and STARI in the same manner.

Your doctor is not worried because SHE is not the one with a tick bite!

I would want 6 wks of treatment for myself.

Reliable info on Lyme:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=088555;p=0

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.clinicaladvisor.com/features/controversy-continues-to-fuel-the-lyme-war/article/117160/

Controversy continues to fuel the "Lyme War" - Clinical Advisor, 2007

[section] Treatment dilemmas . . .

. . . Borrelia burgdorferi has an in vitro replication cycle of about seven days, one of the longest of any known bacteria.

Antibiotics are most effective during bacterial replication, so the more cycles during a treatment, the better.

Since the life cycle of Streptococcus pyogenes (the bacterium that causes strep throat) is about eight hours, antibiotic treatment for a standard 10 days would cover 30 life cycles.

To treat Lyme disease for a comparable number of life cycles, treatment would need to last 30 weeks. . . .
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=013239;p=0

What is a LLMD? LL ND? What is ILADS?

WHY you need an ILADS "educated" or "minded" Lyme Literate doctor (whether MD or ND, or both) - starting with assessment / evaluation for lyme, OTHER tick-borne diseases, and other chronic stealth infections - and all that goes along for the ride.

Medical "models" explained here, as to differences in the ISDA & ILADS models of assessment & treatment - and exactly why it is so very important to know the differences.
-

Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's way too early to do a Lyme test. It takes about 4-6 weeks for anti-bodies to form for Lyme. The test is for antibodies and it will probably be negative.

Even Virginia has a law the a negative test doesn't rule out Lyme

"The groundbreaking law requires patients to be notified that a negative Lyme test doesn’t necessarily mean they don’t have Lyme disease."

https://www.lymedisease.org/virginia-gov-signs-lyme-bill-2/

Your doctor doesn't know how to test or treat Lyme properly. Please take 6 weeks of antibiotics.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goonie
Member # 48825

Thank you all for your replies. I'll look over all of this information as I'm new to this I'm not sure what to make of it.

I definitely feel worse today, not sure if that's from the doxy that I started yesterday. Just kind of achy and burning. I've had 2 doses of 100mg each total so far. Supposed to take 100mg 2x daily. The tick bites look pretty much the same, but no longer itch at all.

You guys are too kind to offer your suggestions, again thanks... I'll keep posting updates.

HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with all above. Go to LLMD. MORE than 2 weeks.

Good luck.

Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopingandpraying
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Lymenet! PM sent for FL, NC & MD.

I am not a doctor, but your rash looks like a bull's-eye one which is definitive for Lyme. You need to be evaluated and treated by a Lyme-literate doctor (LLMD). Non LLMDs have no clue about this horrible disease or its complex treatment!

A LLMD is one who has treated Lyme disease and the co-infections which come with it for many years and has gotten patients well. A good one will follow Dr. B's Guidelines, the "gold standard" for Lyme treatment.

Here is a link for them:

http://www.lymenet.org/BurrGuide200810.pdf

Unfortunately, LLMDs are far and few between. You need to go where they are.

Also most LLMDs do not accept insurance due to the politics surrounding this horrible disease. Read poster TF's explanation, "Why Lyme Doctors Don't Take Insurance":

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=025539;p=0

At least half of all Lyme patients travel out of state for their care. The doctor is the key to the diagnosis and for getting rid of this horrendous disease.

Check the online state Lyme groups at:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/GeorgiaLyme/info

Maybe they can help.

Some more resources (including Support Groups):
http://whatislyme.com/websites-and-support-groups-by-state/

http://www.lymenet.org/SupportGroups/UnitedStates/Georgia/

The top LLMD, Dr. H, has written a book entitled, "Why Can't I Get Better?". It is an excellent source of information.

Read "Cure Unknown" by Pamela Weintraub. Get it at your local library or buy it used on Amazon.

View "Under Our Skin" for free on http://www.veoh.com/m/watch.php?v=v21055812yWtmpgB8

Btw - I know you are new to Lymenet, but please break up your posts into 2-3 sentence paragraphs, as there are people on Lymenet who cannot read large blocks of text due to neurological problems from Lyme.

To do this click the pencil/paper icon, make your changes, then click "Edit Post". Thanks.

Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dal123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dal123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Doxy dose is TOO LOW. This is an infected tick bite. In Texas dogs with Lyme and or infected tick bites get 400 mg of doxy, while I as a human got only 200 mg per day. Guess WHO got well the fastest? my DOG. my pharmacist told me the real dosage for humans should be 400 mg but the TSMBE won't allow it. Corrupt 5--- Rs
Posts: 532 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement