LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » IBS vs Appendicitis ... Help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IBS vs Appendicitis ... Help
dan67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dan67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had lower right quadrant pain on and off over the years, and it has gotten worse lately, sometimes very painful, but not the "rush me to the ER pain."

It is also usually accompanied by frequent need to have a bowel movement, and thin/narrow stools, as if my intestines are blocked or at least constricted.

I know us Lymies have lots of "weird" body functions going on, so my instinct tells me I should'nt rush to the ER to have my appendix removed.

Would love to hear stories / encouragement / information from others who have had these issues. Thank you.

__

Editing to add: the symptoms are definitely correlated with my other Lyme symptoms. For example, when the lower right quadrant pain hits, in some ways my Lyme symptoms are better, and in some ways they get worse - instantly. For example I get instant tinnitus with the bowel episodes, but I feel a bit more clear headed and my mood lifts. Weird -- I know.

Posts: 641 | From Nevada | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Appendicitis is inflammation and infection of the appendix.

It is not typically a chronic infection coming and going, off and on over time. It is usually an acute problem that needs addressed urgently.

It also does not typically cause changes in appearance of bowel movements. It is more known for causing pain that is unrelenting.

With appendicitis, if firm pressure is applied with the hand to the right lower quadrant of the abdomen, then quickly pull the hand away, the pain will sharply increase causing intense pain. The patient usually assumes the fetal position.

It would be wise to be fully evaluated by a GI doctor. They can help figure out why you have pains off and on and stool changes.

Lyme and coinfections can cause GI symptoms. But the symptoms are not always caused by Lyme and coinfections.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are a woman, it could be a cyst on an ovary. When I used to get this pain, they would do a sonogram to check my ovaries.

Before I was diagnosed, I often got this kind of pain. Gastro found nothing in colonoscopy, etc. But, once I started being treated for lyme, bartonella, and then babesiosis, I never got this horrible pain again.

So, it could very well be bart. It loves to cause intestinal pain. And, no gastro test will ever detect anything wrong if it is bart.

I agree that this is not appendicitis since you have had it off and on for a while.

I once went to the ER after I had this horrendous pain for 10 days. They did a full body scan expecting it to be the appendix, but they found nothing and sent me home. The pain left a few hours later.

So, if you have not been treated for bart, I suggest you try some bart treatment. I really, really doubt your intestines are blocked. If they were, you would be in the ER because the pain and bloating of that would be severe and you would be unable to have a bowel movement.

Bart can cause all that you described in my opinion (pencil thin stool, etc.). If the bowel movements improve the pain, then take something to make the bowels move like magnesium.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same pain. I didn't have any pain at all in that area until I took flagyl. Then it herxed down there like crazy.

Ever since, the pain cycles up and down and herxes sometimes. I actually thought my appendix was gonna burst and went to the er. CT scan was fine.

My PCP said this is where the intestine joins the colon, and that the inflammation might be in that junction and not necessarily the appendix.

Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dan67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dan67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's weird for me is sometimes my Lyme symptoms are BETTER when the pain is WORSE. Strange. There are some soothing things that help, slippery elm, aloe, peppermint & ginger.
Posts: 641 | From Nevada | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As SickSam was saying...here's a little ditty on it:
"Your Ileocecal Valve Could it be the cause of your symptoms?"

http://archive.channelmag.co.nz/community-mainmenu-35/webpage-3041/your-ileocecal-valve-could-it-be-the-cause-of-your-symptoms-

"my Lyme symptoms are BETTER when the pain is WORSE."

The body looks becomes fascinated with the hottest ticket in town, so to speak. When the show is over it goes back to it's regularly scheduled Lyme program.

Homeopaths noticed over 200 years ago that a new stronger dis-ease will get the body's attention over the chronic malady until the new stronger acute goes away.

Let's say a person has chronic arthritis and then they get shingles. It would not be out of the ordinary for the joint pain to take a back seat while the shingles is raging. When the shingles goes away then the joint pain returns.

Posts: 764 | From Northwest | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dan67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20344

do others who have this notice that the pain moves around a lot -- from lower right quadrant, to lower right quadrant top area, to belly button, etc? definitely not stationary.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement