LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Malarone and sweating?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Malarone and sweating?
onebeed
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onebeed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started taking Mepron for 3 weeks but switched to Malarone because the Mepron was making me so sick. Since on Malarone I seem to be having hot flashes and night sweats all day and night. I usually can't sleep at night because the sweats wake me up and then I can't get back to sleep. I have been on the Malarone for about 6 weeks with no change in the sweating. I can't figure out if this is perimenopausal or from Babesia or from the Malarone itself. I am taking it with Zithromax and pulsing Artemisinin.

I can't try bioidentical hormones because I have "giant" liver hemangiomas and my liver doctor said hormones can make them grow and burst.

If the sweating is a babs herx, it wouldn't be a constant herx, would it? I am afraid of stopping the Malarone and then restarting it later and causing drug resistance.

My LLMD says if it isn't working after a month to try something else. But I do feel a slight improvement in other symptoms after a year of treatment and nothing else helping at all.

I took Alina for a few months. It caused crunching sounds in my head and some sweats but nothing like the sweats I have now. The Malarone does not seem to cause the head crunching sounds. When I went off the Alina, the sweating was at its worst for 3 weeks then stopped.

I feel like the Malarone is just stirring things up and not actually killing it. I am taking 4 tablets a day.

Posts: 142 | From Midwest | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, so interesting it's causing you to sweat. I sweat if I go off of it. Maybe it's your hormones too? So hard to tell what's what.

I have never heard of anyone sweating more from malarone, but then I'm not a lyme doc. Your doc will know.

I'm surprised alinia caused some sweats for you too. Alinia takes mine away. We are all so different, maybe it just get worse before it gets better?

I know whenever I sweat it means my body has adapted, so I try something else. Hope you find the answer soon!

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have started sweating more since taking Malarone too. But I also wondered if it might also be from medical marijuana, which I started about a month earlier.

I notice some sweats in the middle of the night and wee hours when I often awaken, but also have them at different times during the day.

This does make me wonder if babesiosis is in the picture. I always test negative. But it could be I have a strain that is not a common one.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher J
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christopher J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This one is simple. It is because the dosage of atovaquone in malarone tabs is miniscule compared to the amount in a teaspoon of Mepron. So all its telling you is: hey this is too low a dose so my babesia is returning. Go back on Mepron. And suck up the side effects. They go away, and trust me I know.
Posts: 173 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much Malarone are you taking? Burrascano says to take 750 mg of atovaquone twice per day.

From what I am reading, that would be 3 Malarone pills twice per day.

" Atovaquone and proguanil tablets are available in two combination strengths: 250/100 mg (adults) and 62.5/25 mg (pediatric)."

http://www.medicinenet.com/atovaquone-proguanil-oral/article.htm

The same amount of atovaquone in Mepron would be a 5 ml dose twice per day.

"Mepron is a bright yellow, citrus-flavored, oral suspension containing 750 mg of atovaquone in 5 mL. Mepron is supplied in 210-mL bottles or 5-mL foil pouches."

https://www.drugs.com/pro/mepron.html

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onebeed
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onebeed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am taking 4 tabs of Malarone a day. I am sweating the same on Malarone as I was on Mepron. In my original post I should have said since on Atovaquone I am sweating like a pig, not just the Malarone. I thought Mepron was harder on the stomach than Malarone. The Mepron was making me way too sick. It was waking me up in the middle of the night puking.
Posts: 142 | From Midwest | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onebeed
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46620

Christopher J - so do you think the puking is a herx, not necessarily just a Mepron side effect? So hard to tell the difference.
Christopher J
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christopher J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Onebeed do you eat the mepron with a fatty food? If not, thats usually the cause of the stomach uneasiness and throwing up. Atovaquone has to be taken with a lot of fat. Id recommend eating it with ice cream or a cheese stick. And regular ice cream or cheese, not low fat. You need 10 or more grams of fat, and preferably saturated fat. Good luck! Oh by the way the sweating is not unusual. Babesia causes dramatic sweating and night sweats. When you first start treatment like with Mepron your symptoms will intensify and get worse before they get better. In fact, the fact that it causes the sweating in you tells me you likely do have the Babesia they are treating you for.

[ 11-06-2016, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Christopher J ]

Posts: 173 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onebeed
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46620

Christopher J - Yes, I make sure to get lots of fat when taking the Mepron or Malarone. Usually a couple of handfuls of nuts and/or a couple pieces of cheese. Also I quit taking alpha lipoic acid, vitamin e, and coQ10. I think I will try going back on the Mepron and see if the sweating subsides.

My LLMD gave me a prescription for 4 Malarone a day only. I just got my prescriptions renewed and I saw he wrote it for 3 Malarone a day only, so it looks like that won't be enough. He wrote the Mepron prescription for 1-2 tsp twice a day.

Catgirl - yes, this could be hormones. I just don't know how to tell the difference. ?

hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sweat more with Malarone too.

Reallllllly sweat and have horrible hot flashes though when taking Diflucan!

I'm ok with 'normal' night sweats when on Zith....

I rotate them, and hate it when I have to do the diflucan or malarone! Just figured it was a herx of sorts....

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, yes, was better with the hotness when on birthcontrol pills...

Tried natural compounded biest and it didn't really help with the hotness.....

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onebeed
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46620

So I switched back to Mepron and the sweating has improved. Must have been something about the Malarone - most likely too low a dosage as the posts said. I am thinking I need to switch to a different LLMD as I think this is something he should have mentioned when I was there a couple of weeks ago and trying to find out what was causing the sweating.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement