LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Has anyone taken mepron two years out of date?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has anyone taken mepron two years out of date?
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxy loxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Dr. wants me to be on two teaspoons of Mepron TWICE a day, and the company will only cover for two teaspoons ONCE a day.

I have a friend who has a large supply of unopened mepron that is dated 2014 she would like to give me.

I cannot glean much info online whether it would be toxic or not. It sounds like there is a possibility it wouldn't be as effective.

I am not worried about the lack of adequate potency since I wouldn't be taking more anyway. It is too expensive. I am worried about toxicity.

Has anyone taken expired Mepron with effective results?

Posts: 477 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you know, I can't promote you doing anything illegal. That said..

I know people who have used it when outdated even longer than that, including me, and it was fine.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxy loxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not want to disobey the law, but my Dr. has prescribed this amount. I wouldn't do it if it wasn't prescribed to me. But I guess it is still half breaking the law!!! :/

It should be illegal to be priced so high!!
Thanks Tincup! You are the best! [Smile]

Posts: 477 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The expiration dates that are put on meds are only there to protect companies in case of a lawsuit.

The dates are extremely arbitrary in nearly all cases. For example, they usually put a 1 year expiration date on pain medication and nearly every other medication. The medication is actually good probably for years and years after that date, just maybe losing some potency.

Now, as we know, there are a few meds where the expiration date is important. I had a friend whose daughter got sick on expired birth control pills that were given to her at her doctor's office to help with her horrendous menstrual pain.

It turns out that the expired meds made her sick.

And, if my memory serves me correctly, doxy is one of the meds that breaks down into something dangerous after a certain amount of time. But, evidently even this "fact" about doxy is in dispute. (See the link below.)

But, these are the exception rather than the rule.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/drug-expiration-dates-do-they-mean-anything

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, you are not breaking the law at all if you decide to take an expired medication. There is NO law that says it is illegal to take an expired medication.
Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Thanks a lot TF for that info. It helps a lot and makes me feel better about taking it! [Smile]
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foxy- you make me laugh! Thanks for that. And I do agree the price should be illegal!

TF- You said... "So, you are not breaking the law at all if you decide to take an expired medication. There is NO law that says it is illegal to take an expired medication."

Very true, but she is talking about taking someone else's expired meds. That is what I was referring to and where the problem lies.

I can not- nor should anyone here- encourage others to commit a crime no matter how stupid the law is.

That said... I'd probably, or at least consider taking it. People shouldn't be dying as a result of not having access to medications.

But then, I'm not the President and I can't make the rules.

[Big Grin]

BTW- I did hear today that our new President-elect was planning to do something to get Canadian meds allowed to be shipped to the USA patients. That's good news!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Foxy- here is my "Help For You" link cause it may be able to help you.

Yes, I named it too. Pretty clever, huh? ~smile~

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/help-for-you

Please check the Medications & Supplements link to find discounts for and free Mepron for those who qualify. And those who qualify for some of the free meds programs can have a lot larger income than what I'd expect to be the rule.

Good luck!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

yeah, it really DOES get tedious. My friend's name isn't even prescribed on the bottles!! [Frown]

But Tincup, I know what you mean about taking another person's med. Rats...

Thanks for the link! I doubt I can get anymore free mepron, because I am already getting half of it free from the company. Tincup, I need to grab your name and start begging!! Aaaaaaalms....

I have thought about trying to get it from Canada. I found it for 780 bucks per 210 mL at the cheapest. Still hurts pretty hard.

Crazy stuff, but I do seem to respond to it!! I hope, I hope for the better! what a miracle that would be!

Tincup
Member # 5829

I didn't say don't take it. I said you aren't suppose to.

I NEVER do stuff I'm not suppose to do.

[lol]

[lol]

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement