LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » daily st. john's wort use

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: daily st. john's wort use
stork
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All,

My health has significantly improved in many respects, but I still have a constellation of neurological/psychiatric symptoms since getting lyme that just can't seem to go away.

Daily use of St. John's Wort at ~350mg seems to help my mood and motivation significantly.

What are considerations for long-term use? Does tolerance build? Have others had positive experiences with long-term use? I am concerned that I will gain tolerance and/or go through significant withdrawal if I stop.

Thank you!

--------------------
long road since 2010
abx got me over the hump
diet, detox, and herbs have got me to heal

Posts: 174 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
St. john's wort, in my opinion, is a mild herb that can be used life long.

Very known plant, I've never heard anyone reacting too badly to it.

I also love it as a tea (taste is mild). It's easy to cultivate in your garden.

In the homeopathic form, it's called Hypericum. I find it is one of the MOST useful remedies against all sorts of problems, specially viral infections.

Hypericum in different dilutions and potencies have been used for the nerves, but also as an anti infectious agent.

It is certainly one of my favorites, among Ledum and Arnica.

If you like the herbal form, you may profit from the homeopathic dilutions. It is mild, as homeopathy, in my experience.

Pubmed article about the plant Hypericum acting as anti virus:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC90321/

------------------
Pubmed article: a very comprehensive view of Hypericum (st john's wort) in the medical field
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK92750/

They do say it can react with other chemicals (I never felt that though, maybe because I do not take chemicals...).

The neuro protective effect MAYBE comes from its anti-viral effects (?). My guess... Many viruses attack our brains, in chronic form.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19907671

Hypericum as antiviral, antipain, anti inflammatory.

---------------------
https://www.elixirs.com/hypericum.cfm

common uses of Hypericum in homeopathy (related to infection and nerve pain)

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stork
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Brussels, all these links are super helpful.

Has anyone else had anecdotal experience using St. John's Wort for an extended period of time?

Though not lyme-themed, I'm also finding this website and its forums to be a helpful resource: http://www.sjwinfo.org/forum/

--------------------
long road since 2010
abx got me over the hump
diet, detox, and herbs have got me to heal

Posts: 174 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi <<<<< stork >>>>>,

St. Johns Wort is similar in effect to Amitryptyline, one caution,do use eye protection in the sun,as it can make the eyes photo sensitive for some reason.

I think it is good for a number of things, I used it pre-Lyme Dx for a time, and it seemed to help. I am sensitive to a lot of meds and eventually had to stop using it. I think most folks do okay on it tho'. [I cannot use Amitryptyline any more either].

It surely wouldn't hurt to research it, and if you aren't experiencing any problems, perhaps it will continue to help you!

I'll come back later,as I want to check the links out! Brussels, I am glad you and stork put up the links. And Stork, asking questions is a good thing!

So often ,I am looking for something, and stumble across a question,here, someone else is looking for the same info'. That is why I love this LymeNet Site!!!

Even tho' I can't use St. Johns Wort now, perhaps I can find something similar that I wont too,eventually.

Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
2006,May-August2006 Dx w/ Lyme/Bartonella/White Matter Lesion Disease on Brain.
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

I hope we're talking about the same thing!?: I'm referring to a plant (herb), that I grow in my garden.

I simply make teas from aerial parts of it (flower, leaves, stem).

It's NOT a drug, as much as parsley, or lettuce are not drugs.

I have no problem with St. John's wort in tea form (decoction), nor in its homeopathic form - called Hypericum.

I find it more helpful in homeopathic form, because it does deal with many viral infections.

the possibility of working through potencies and dilutions make it 'act' like a drug, but without chemicals from drugs.

It's totally inoffensive when diluted but more 'powerful' because of homeopathic dilutions.

... It's sort of hard to explain, if you are not familiar with homeopathy.

AS homeopathic remedy, it is sold over the counter in Europe, no prescription needed.

It's commonly given to infants, children, old people, animals, anyone can take it.

I really like it and had used it many times, specially during lyme.

After lyme was gone, I still used it for viral colds.

Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi <<<<< stork,and Brussels >>>>>,

Brussels, yep,I'm referring to simple capsules containing the herb St. Johns wort.

I was really surprised to find I had any problem with it. I read about the photo-sensitivity, when wandering thru links about it,looking up info'.

I started getting a rash, which puzzled me, but I am allergic to many things. I haven't tried it since the Lyme and Co's Dx back in 2006.
I wonder if I could find it in tea form,at our health food stores.

Perhaps a weaker tea preparation might help.Our local Vitamin and supplement store sells some teas. Will have to see if they have it. It would be nice to see if I had any rash issues, if not,a weaker formula might be good.

Hello stork, how are you doing, I do hope the St. Johns wort can help you! Neuro' symptoms are no fun at all.

I'll check back when I am able too,

Jus' Silverwolfi

--------------------
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Badtick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Badtick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be aware that it has significant interaction with other meds as it is a strong cytochrome P450 inducer. Similar to rifampin.
Posts: 184 | From CT | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Yep, I just read that it may interact with DRUGS.

I don't take any drugs (since lyme, I gave up on any drug, not even aspirin), so it's not a problem for me.

but if you guys are in drugs, just google before taking st. john's wort.

Or shift to homeopathic Hypericum (it is not chemical, only water).

There can't be any interaction, as there are no chemicals! Try a 6X or 12X, for the start. If you don't react, try a 30X or 60X.

If still no reaction, try a 100C (very strong), but still, zero chemicals (except for water).

Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hi <<<<< stork, Badtick, and Brussels >>>>>,

Thanks for the drug interaction warning, I have to takea couple of prescriptions,so that's important to know!

Brussels, I'll have to check this weekend,and see if anyone here in Vegas is selling the homeopathy. We used to be able to get a homeopathic formula for Echinacea up in Southeast Idaho.

We have to check for it here, we are limited in travel right now ,very much driving and TrekC' gets really worn down, So we stay mostly local.

Hi stork, are you okay? Hoping so!

Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement