LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Classical pearls

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Classical pearls
tepidauutmn
Member # 49476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tepidauutmn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anyone on classical pearls? I was put on bamboo pearls for Lyme. I only take 2 pills for now (instead of three per day twice a day) because I am overly sensitive. Does anyone experience die off symptoms on them?
Posts: 74 | From Lawrenceville, NJ | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Classic pearls?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have taken them in the past for a good while, but not currently. I don't remember experiencing much in the way of symptoms from taking them.
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tepidauutmn
Member # 49476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tepidauutmn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MichaelTampa:
I have taken them in the past for a good while, but not currently. I don't remember experiencing much in the way of symptoms from taking them.

Hi MichaelTampa, which pearls did you take? Did you experience any relief from them?
Posts: 74 | From Lawrenceville, NJ | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember anything that great coming from them. I took many things, hard to know impact of any one thing, they may have helped.

I took a lot of lightning and thunder, rotating, as suggested for Gu Syndrome. I also took earth, bamboo, vitality, sugar.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I literally just started them, we'll have to compare notes in a few days.
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a good run with them back in 2013. Did Bamboo, Earth, and Lightening.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopingandpraying
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are classic pearls? Probiotics or a traditional Chinese Medicine formulation?

What are they used for?

Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried the Cinnamon Pearls. The naturopath's voodoo machine said that my gut really liked this product. Unfortunately, my gut disagreed.
Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tepidauutmn
Member # 49476

quote:
Originally posted by WPinVA:
I literally just started them, we'll have to compare notes in a few days.

Ooo, which ones are you taking? I switched to lightning pearls.
tepidauutmn
Member # 49476

quote:
Originally posted by bcb1200:
I had a good run with them back in 2013. Did Bamboo, Earth, and Lightening.

How did you feel? Did you experience any die offs?
tepidauutmn
Member # 49476

quote:
Originally posted by hopingandpraying:
What are classic pearls? Probiotics or a traditional Chinese Medicine formulation?

What are they used for?

Go to http://classicalpearls.org to read about them. They're Chinese Medicinal herbs. Some of them like lightning and thunder pearls address Lyme and co-infections.
tepidauutmn
Member # 49476

quote:
Originally posted by nomoremuscles:
I tried the Cinnamon Pearls. The naturopath's voodoo machine said that my gut really liked this product. Unfortunately, my gut disagreed.

I think Thunder pearls are better for people with gut issues and Lyme. Cinnamon are more for food sensitivities, but may not necessarily address the gut. Haha I like how you said voodoo machine lawl.
tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tulips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where can you buy Classical Pearls?
Posts: 653 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tepidauutmn
Member # 49476

quote:
Originally posted by tulips:
Where can you buy Classical Pearls?

You can't buy them yourself, but a practitioner can order for you. If you go to classicalpearls.org and search for someone in your area, you can go to them or ask for your practitioner to register and order.
nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi tepidauutmn,

Ha-ha, funny you say that. The doc said that the other one my body wanted was the Thunder.

My gut is very bad, but I also have very bad food intolerances. Doc was weighing back and forth, then said to go with the Cinnamon first as that was a closer match to my symptoms.

I told him that it was unlikely that I would tolerate either one, but was willing to give it a shot. He was really wild about this stuff, the various pearls, as he had studied with, and was mentored by, the guy who formulated them, and had only the highest praise for this person.

So this doc was flying high, telling me that first using the Cinnamon would allow me to eat a greater variety of foods. Then from there we could move on to the Thunder, etc ...

He gave me the password for practitioners to go on the Pearl guy's website and read the articles that were aimed at medical professionals. The articles were very interesting. But I got the idea that the formulator, this doc's mentor, had little practical experience with Lymies, as he made it all sound pretty straightforward -- difficult but straightforward. And so far I have not seen anything about Lyme that was straightforward.

My prescribing doc, the guy with the voodoo machine, had no experience dealing with chronic Lyme patients either, and had no idea how reactive many of us are, and, consequently, how difficult we are to treat.

Of course, I was unable to tolerate the cinnamon Pearls.

But the worst part was how disappointed he was that I didn't respond. The disappointment in his voice was so palpable, so heartbreaking, I was tempted to tell him that the stuff was magical and I was doing much better.

Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tepidauutmn
Member # 49476

quote:
Originally posted by nomoremuscles:
Hi tepidauutmn,

Ha-ha, funny you say that. The doc said that the other one my body wanted was the Thunder.

My gut is very bad, but I also have very bad food intolerances. Doc was weighing back and forth, then said to go with the Cinnamon first as that was a closer match to my symptoms.

I told him that it was unlikely that I would tolerate either one, but was willing to give it a shot. He was really wild about this stuff, the various pearls, as he had studied with, and was mentored by, the guy who formulated them, and had only the highest praise for this person.

So this doc was flying high, telling me that first using the Cinnamon would allow me to eat a greater variety of foods. Then from there we could move on to the Thunder, etc ...

He gave me the password for practitioners to go on the Pearl guy's website and read the articles that were aimed at medical professionals. The articles were very interesting. But I got the idea that the formulator, this doc's mentor, had little practical experience with Lymies, as he made it all sound pretty straightforward -- difficult but straightforward. And so far I have not seen anything about Lyme that was straightforward.

My prescribing doc, the guy with the voodoo machine, had no experience dealing with chronic Lyme patients either, and had no idea how reactive many of us are, and, consequently, how difficult we are to treat.

Of course, I was unable to tolerate the cinnamon Pearls.

But the worst part was how disappointed he was that I didn't respond. The disappointment in his voice was so palpable, so heartbreaking, I was tempted to tell him that the stuff was magical and I was doing much better.

Oh I am so sorry for your hardships. They're not effective for everyone unfortunately, like many other things, but the other things do have a lot of research and reviews on them unlike the classical pearls.

I also have gut issues like you! And I seem to react to food that I used to not even though I eat clean.

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Often, many herbal formulas offer more in the way of support, not direct. Other than very small amounts of Smilax / sarsaparilla . . . or maybe coptis . . . .

For the protocols that are more directly targeted to lyme, it's a good idea to get all of the books about lyme & coinfections by

Stephen H. Buhner - he is an excellent LL master herbalist & longtime researcher (and I say scholar) in regarding tick borne disease.

Zhang's book is also "required" reading to understand how any herbal approach balances the support with direct action.

There is very little that is specific to address lyme in the Classical Pearls formulas that I became familiar with years ago. The approach, itself, was more about symptom relief than direct action regarding the science of how lyme works.

Time may have brought changes but it's vital to know you have a real expert as your doctor.

I spent all my funds on an ND who said he knew all about lyme but turns out - he was so very ignorant and assumed so much.

Most NDs do not know zip about lyme, though they may otherwise be excellent. It's not nearly enough to be an ND, they need to be a proper Lyme LITERATE ND.

Be certain the ND with whom you work is very experienced and a member of ILADS - and has completed the ILADS Physician Training program.

When considering herbal / nutritional / adjunct methods, because lyme is so very complex & unique, as are possible coinfections:

if at all possible - because each person & each case is different - it's best to consult with an ILADS-educated LL ND (lyme literate naturopathic doctor) (or similar) who has completed four years of post-graduate medical education in the field of herbal and nutritional medicine -

- and someone who is current with ILADS' research & presentations, past and present, and has completed the ILADS Physician Training Program (see: www.ilads.org )

so they really know all they can about the science of lyme . . . how lyme (& other TBD) act and what we can do about that in various ways. Proper ASSESSMENT of not just lyme but coinfectoins is vital. Someone trained by ILADS is best to assess.

Many LL NDs incorporate antibiotics (depending upon the licensing laws in their state). Some LLMDs and LL NDs have good working relationships.

When possible, it's great to have both a LLMD and LL ND and even better when they have a long-standing professional relationship.

For those considering complementary support methods / or other avenues entirely:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/13964

How to find an ILADS-educated LL:

N.D. (Naturopathic Doctor);

L.Ac. (Acupuncturist);

D.Ay. (Doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine);

D.O.M. (Doctor of Oriental Medicine);

Herbal Safety considerations & reference books; etc.

BOOKS - Links to many articles and books by holistic-minded LL doctors of various degrees who all have this basic approach in common:

knowing which methods offer assertive & direct impact, which are only support and which are both. And when to use what, how to combine, & when to step back.

You can compare and contrast many approaches with links to articles, books, methods . . .

BODY WORK methods / links (and why anyone who works on your spine MUST be LL to the degree they at least know to never suddenly twist neck or spine. Never. Ever - not if there is inflammation in the spine with active infection. And that we should never be advised to do neck / head / shoulder stands.)

Links here to two major sources: Buhner, & Zhang. Be sure to get their books.
-

[ 12-22-2016, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You say you are sensitive and often that is due to liver stress.

Whatever methods you use to directly address lyme, other ticke-borne or chronic stealth infections, liver support is the essential cornerstone to being able to TOLERATE any protocol:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
The links in the first LL ND set can be used to search each ingredient so you can learn more about each one.

Also feel free to ask the ND with whom you work to tell you a little about each ingredient so you have a better concept of their actions.

Overall, this looks like an excellent supportive formula. The cinnamon is the only thing that might cause any issue with the stomach. Maybe best to take with food.

http://www.classicalpearls.org/products/bamboo-pearls/#responsiveTabs6

Classical Pearls - Bamboo Pearls

Serving size: 3 capsules

Servings per container: 30

Amount per serving: 1500mg

Proprietary blend containing pure herbal extracts of:

Lycopodium clavatum (Shenjincao),

Loranthus parasiticus twig and leaf
(Sangjisheng),

Eleutherococcus gracilistylus root bark (Wujiapi),

Cinnamomum loureirii twig (Guizhi),

Paeonia lactiflora root (Baishao),

Anemarrhena asphodeloides rhizome (Zhimu),

Zingiber officinale rhizome fresh (Shengjiang),

Atractylodes macrocephala rhizome (Baizhu),

Saposhnikovia divaricata root (Fangfeng),

Aconitum carmichaelii mother root cured (zhi Chuanwu),

Lumbricus (Dilong),

Glycyrrhiza glabra root (Gancao)

Other ingredients: living green clay excipient, vegetable capsule

-----

For starters, search each herb with this site:

www.itmonline.org

ITM - Institute of Traditional Medicine
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
When searching herbs, you may need to search both names. Sometimes, herbs have three names. For instance at the ITM site, looking at the first ingredient,

Lycopodium clavatum - zero results. However, when searching for its other name, Shenjincao, there is a result:

Did you mean Shen Jin Cao? [yes, you do - and it give you an excerpt and a link]

Treating Advanced Arthritis With Chinese Herbs

. . . shenjincao, eliminates wind and dampness; relaxes tendons and unblocks luo vessels, Lycopodium is used in cases of arthralgia in which there is tightness of . . . .

www.itmonline.org/arts/advancedarthritis.htm
-

[ 12-22-2016, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

tepidauutmn
Member # 49476

Hi Keebler! Thank you very much for so much wonderful insight. I am actually taking the bamboo pearls. I alternate between them and lightning pearls as my acupuncturist requested. But I was told by another naturopath that this is not enough, I would need to correct the "Gu Syndrome" in my gut and stomach as well. But very slowly, since I am very reactive to everything. We are doing AAT (Advanced Allergy Therapeutics) to address my sensitivities (to practically many things, even good food) and reprogram the functionality of my organ systems. And we will go slowly with supplementation. For now I started taking a probiotic and liposomal Vitamin C. I know this isn't enough, but I can't start everything all at once in such a state that I am. I am not even sure Lyme is the biggest issue for me, but more like toxicity and mast cells and histamines.
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You can try to correct the imbalances till the cows come home. If lyme is not addressed as well, it's just not going to make much progress.

I fully understand what you are saying. I took herbs, the full protocol for "Gu Syndrome" from the author of that article even, for five years and it barely helped because lyme had gone unattended other than with the slightest bit of ingredients like sarsaparilla.

The "Gu Syndrome" article "reads" exceedingly well and makes sense. However, the formulas that were designed to address what it describes (at least when I took them) were too weak and lacked sorely.

I was better in some ways

and a gluten free diet was also essential but the formulas were not even close to being good enough. I'm not sure how they have changed but you have the methods to research whether your doctor is up for the task or not. This matters more than you might think.

Lyme & coinfections CAUSE much of the toxicity / trouble to begin with so - it (they) cannot be left to wait. Both support / correction . . . and direct action are vital.

While methods may vary, and - yes, pacing for tolerance is an issue - the combined approach must be specific and not just a whisper of an attempt.
-

tepidauutmn
Member # 49476

Oh Keebler, I am sorry that you tried this for five years and it was proven to be fruitless. There's people who have positives with them, but maybe it isn't for everyone and isn't enough. I can't even go past one pill lol.

I was prescribed this by one acupuncturist, but I'll see what the other naturopath says. They provide other modalities. I do need to address the detox issues at the same time, since that is a trouble for me.

How are you feeling now? What has truly helped you?

tepidauutmn
Member # 49476

Oh yes, I forgot if I made an update on my intake of the pearls. I alternate between bamboo and lightning. Can't get past 1 pill for each formula.
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
The "Lightning" formula is more specific to lyme and babesia and a good start with liver support in it, too. However, still the concerns mentioned above about the full comprehensive effect.

Gluten-Free . . . and being GMO free is also of key importance to gut issues.

You should be assessed for h.Pylori as well.

Your L.Ac. may be good as well as whatever ND you see. Just don't make any assumptions as to their education regarding lyme / TBD. You need to know that they know all that is known at this time about this area.

Be sure to get Buhner's and Zhang's books.
-

tepidauutmn
Member # 49476

Keebler, I am planning to get on Lightning as instructed in the daily dose, but at the momemt they are harsh, so I am alternating for now until I can tolerate them better. Have to at the same time build up my body. I am completely gluten free and GMO free, it's been several months now and of course I intend to stay that way. Though I react to all food I eat sadly [Frown] . I have no H. Pylori.

My acupuncturist is well versed in Lyme, but she doesn't know much about gene mutations (like MTHFR, which for me is homozygous and the worst kind) and states that the herbs and acupuncture alone can help me detox. Why I went to see the naturopath who told me I am so depleted, I need nutrients and supplementation, but we will have to take it all slowly due to my overreaction to everything. Hopefully in addition to that, the advanced allergy therapeutics will help. She knows much more about the gene mutations, in fact our genes are practically similar and she was able to heal herself.

Thanks about Buhner and Zhang. Gonna check them out!

How are you feeling now? Is there something that has helped you?

tepidauutmn
Member # 49476

The naturopath also wants to eventually put me on thunder and dragon pearls for gut and stomach stuff, since my digestive system is out of whack. I do take probiotics, but a very low dose (can't tolerate huge ones). It has good strains and is absorbed well.
tepidauutmn
Member # 49476

I think after all my acupuncturist may not necessarily know how to treat Lyme in my case. She had success using Bamboo pearls and alternating between Lightning pearls. Every other acupuncturist I spoke to said that Bamboo is more supportive, as you stated, and only Lightning and Thunder pearls can help heal Lyme. My naturopath confirms that Lightning, Thunder, AND Dragon pearls can help heal the Gu syndrome from all sides. So now I am just so confused, ugh! lol

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement