LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Weird Symptom..Very soft background music

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Weird Symptom..Very soft background music
lymehope
Member # 48581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymehope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi everyone
I am experiencing this weird symptom of soft music almost like it is coming from far away. I experienced this a while ago before treatment but it was much louder. Now it is faint so basically only hear if no other sound is going on. Music also changes from one tune to another 9 probably 3 different tunes almost constantly. It takes me a little while to fall asleep but finally do.
Just wondering if anyone ever had this symptom.
thank you

Posts: 68 | From new york | Registered: Aug 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeGal
Member # 49482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely auditory hallucinations of music are fairly common if you are experiencing neuro Lyme symptoms. I have had it off and on for years.
Posts: 1 | From Bay Area CA | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not an uncommon symptom at all. Auditory hallucinations were one of my earliest, most prominent (and maddening!) symptoms.

I had them for many years. They have faded away with proper treatment.

Posts: 474 | From US | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxy loxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear "crashing" sounds in my head! Sometimes it is so loud, it scares me! Mostly, it is really faint.
Posts: 477 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymehope
Member # 48581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymehope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you everyone it makes me feel not alone, though i wouldn't wish it on anyone.
I had this at one time but only lasted a couple of days. I am on new treatment and this is going on for about one week. I also asked my Dr., she said that yes other people have it and someone wrote a paper on it called Musical Hallucination.
thank you for sharing your story.

Posts: 68 | From new york | Registered: Aug 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds and smells bother me alot. unfortunately none of mine are pleasant.

why can't I hear country western or smell chocolate.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The late Dr. Oliver Sacks wrote a book on auditory hallucinations. I can't remember the title (I didn't read it). But his work was extraordinary. He was very interested and compassionate.

But more to the point is what people have shared who have had this symptom, since, luckily for you---if anything about this is "lucky," is that since you know the cause, it will get better with treatment.

I hear you, randi, why can't our symptoms be pleasant? Ha!

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stefi42
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stefi42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do auditory hallucinations also apply to hearing strange sounds or even like an echo of a conversation?
Posts: 113 | From Hollywood, Florida | Registered: Aug 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxy loxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say YES!!! stefi42

I even see flashes of light somewhere on the side...It is so weird because you know its not real at all. It is almost like a perception, or a dream!

I also get the crashes... and suddenly weird things pop into my head like an image of a wreck etc.

I think I have some adrenaline problem of some sort. I also jerk a lot, like I would be afraid.

I also have a mild hyperacusis... it is AWFUL!!! But I hate certain noises and it causes a weird sick nerve sensation in my head!

Any advice would be taken with great GRATITUDE!!

Best wishes to all!

Posts: 477 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
" . . . so weird because you know its not real at all. . . ."

It IS real. There are very real explanations for the science and physiology of what is happening - and some things that can help in various notes here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS

Explanations . . . and what can help.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this off and on, too. I will sometimes check to see if the radio or TV is on in another room.
Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Sometime such musical tinnitus is just a normal thing . . . and there are vibrations in the air that set it off.

Very often it's not about a radio being on - sounds don't need actual musical devices to make musical intonation and intervals. Often, it's the refrigerator or other fan that is on and making the vibrations that hit the ear nerves, the brain nerves and sound memory center circuits.

Such fans can be quite a distance, too, to create the "music" vibrations / intervals, etc.

Magnesium deficiency can also cause the over-sensitivity and over stimulation of nerve impulses. More in the Tinnitus thread above. tinnitus can take so many different forms.

When there is INFLAMMATION, such vibrations that most may not even notice can hit a person harder and if the ears / brain are involved, then this kind of tinnitus can be more prominent.

Air pressure shifts / barometric pressure can also "create music" within our ears / brain.

Vibration and the way it "hits" is what creates sound. There are so many variables.

This, and so much more is discussed in the Tinnitus thread.

EYES can also be affected by inner ear / vestibular issues - and magnesium depletion can also exacerbate such matters.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
While such musical tinnitus and vibration or tone triggered musical memories can be quiet common and okay . . .

With any musical tinnitus - or any kind / degree of tinnitus at all, pay attention to degree and frequency. If it's more than just a passing thing:

OTOTOXICITY is the first thing to consider, though, as with any ear issues. While other variables mentioned in post above, Ototoxic Rx, OTC can create musical tinnitus.

See the detail in the tinnitus thread and the reason ototoxicity can damage hearing / balance / adrenal function. Adrenal issues also discussed in the Tinnitus thread and the importance of that aspect.
-

nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for this Keebler. From now on I am going to assume the low hum is actually my refrigerator singing me a soft lullaby!
Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

my dad has parkinsons and he tried wellbutrin for a while to fight his depression. Whatever the case, it caused a massive choir to start up and he would hear hymns in his head.

Your Right Keebler!! anytime the fan would start or he would hear the car engine, it would start up!

Very interesting info there!! He thought he was crazy!

I have also felt more inspired to increase my magnesium! Thanks...

foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

do you think hyperacusis could be a form of tinnitus?

I do get very mild ringing occasionally, but mostly just have noise intolerance esp. when I am laying down, which I find so STRANGE!!!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement