LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Are these supplements ok to take

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are these supplements ok to take
Jenene
Member # 49398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenene     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

Next week I am going to do a juice detox and the gentleman running the fast has recommended these supplements. He says it will get my gut ready.

Do you think they are ok to take with the lyme?

L-glutamine
NAC

I am currently taking bactrim

--------------------
Jk

Posts: 88 | From Nj | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
L-glutamine - no, [at least not until you read the considerations]

it could be a worse reaction when doing a juice fast. L-glutamine can cause major issues with heart rate -- possibly speeding it up or causing erratic rhythm,

and it can also zoom you to the moon with "false energy" and anxiety even if that is not something with which you deal. It can also lower the seizure threshold for those with lyme.

This neuro excitatory amino acid can be very dangerous for those with lyme for many reasons.

Without good solid real food, the effect would be much stronger. But, as a supplement, this is best avoided.

A juice fast can cause a sudden high surge in blood sugar, then in about an hour, a drop to low blood sugar so that can complicate matters as well. protein and fat help balance but the more liquid food is, the faster it surges and then drops sugar levels.

L-Glutamine / glutamic acid might be one to include ONLY for a very few who are doing well with neuro function and are free of neuro toxicity that goes with lyme - yet still only in tiny amounts and with very serious attention and VERY, very careful balance with other amino acids.

As a supplement this can throw all our neuro amino acids out of whack, or even if too high in diet [we do need some and we can get what we need in foods but too much of certain foods might also need to be avoided]

L-Glutamine can be toxic to and destroy the myelin sheath around nerve fibers for those with lyme.
-

[ 12-28-2016, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Why? How?

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/113775?#000000

Topic: Amino Acid Information Link

See post: Caution: Aspartate; Glutamine; and Phenylalanine (3 excitatory amino acids that can be wrong for us when added as supplements, beyond a normal dietary level)

Seaweed has its own natural MSG (monosodium glutamate) and can be very excitatory

Details / cautions
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
NAC can "read" very well and be very good for many. For some with lyme, though, it's not so easy and there are considerations that should first be studied / prepared for.

I most certainly would not suggest starting that - or anything at all - while doing a juice fast as it could be far too stressful on your body.

Best to start with a low dose, slowly, when you are in your normal routine and eating real whole foods.

This site will have more detail about NAC if you search there.

www.cpnhelp.org
-

[ 12-27-2016, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
If NAC is for liver support, IMO, it's best to start with something like Dandelion or Milk Thistle:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I'm not sure that a juice fast would be a good idea with Bactrim as most antibiotics really need some good solid whole foods in your stomach so the pills don't eat away at the gut lining. Liquids will not be enough protection.
-

Jenene
Member # 49398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenene     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok thank you! I will stop these for now and talk to my Dr. He was thinking I have leaky gut so I think that's why he was having me take these

--------------------
Jk

Posts: 88 | From Nj | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Sounded like you had not yet started but since you have started, much depends on your dose, of course, and if you tolerate. If you are doing well with them now, that's good.

You may well be taking things that balance it out, too. How your body does will tell you if you tolerate either / both in light of what you read about it at the links

so you know what signs to look out for if your body feels "wired" at all and that magnesium can often help lessen a reaction to too much glutamine. Always have magnesium on board, 3 x day.

Still, there are other ways to address leaky gut, too.

Are you gluten free? GMO free? Those really matter a lot and can help with repair.

Good luck.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Anti-fungal attention and probiotic matter much when on antibiotics.

And lyme, alone can cause leaky gut -- and many Rx can also contribute as can candida overgrowth. So all bases to be covered.

Other than a gluten free, GMO free diet, this is what has helped my stomach more than anything:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDKujssODCWJdpRiuqUqrtQ

Acupuncture Atlanta - YouTube site -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iYxwDJ-ZIc

TCM Spotlight: Seven Forests Coptis and Evodia

Video 2:15

Seven Forests COPTIS & EVODIA - see Ingredients

http://www.itmonline.org/articles/evodia/evodia.htm

ITM

EVODIA: Traditional and Modern Uses

by Subhuti Dharmananda, Ph.D., July 2010

http://www.itmonline.org/results.htm?cx=002245100010442291864%3Av3bhxoxu6ee&q=Coptis&sa=Search&cof=FORID%3A11&siteurl=www.itmonline.org%2Findex.htm&ref=www.itmonline.org%2Farticles %2Fevodia%2Fevodia.htm&ss=935j202033j7

ITM site search: Coptis - 83 articles / mentions
-

Jenene
Member # 49398

Yes I am gluten free, vegetarian and lots of leafy greens. I currently have a yeast infection so not sure what that is about.

--------------------
Jk

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You say in post just above that you "currently have a yeast infection so not sure what that is about."

You say in your very first post of this thread: " currently taking Bactrim."

Antiobiotics cause overgrowth of yeast / candida in the gut for any human (and likely animals, too).

PROBIOTICS before starting antibiotic are best . . . and all during treatment. Time away from Rx, though. To learn more, search "Candida"

Sounds like you may not be treating with a LLMD?

Probiotics are usually not enough, though. Some take antifungal Rx such as Diflucan. I found OLE to work so much better for me than any antifungal Rx, though:

Very good probiotics and also foods with a good range of naturally occurring probiotics such as sauerkraut, miso (be sure it's gluten free, not from barley), Kimchee if you can take the heat, etc.

Diet with no simple carbohydrates from the food "industry" - yet rich & full of complex carbs and their nutrients from the earth - along with balance of good protein and good fats.

A very specific brand of Olive Leaf extract (or a brand that uses the same methods of growing, harvesting, processing) - Seagate. Detail:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/115457?#000000

OLE Links
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You may need to revisit your diet regarding avoiding animal protein.

Hope you've been enjoying eggs all along, at least. Three eggs gives you a good start to the day with 18 grams of protein. Best from chickens raised in happy surroundings, so to speak.

Buhner states in one of his books that meat / fish muscle protein / nutrients are required to get well from lyme. He is very strong about that.

I also discovered that a vegetarian diet was not at all working for me, just made me much weaker. Meats from organically raised / non-factory conditions, though, matter a lot.

Beans, legumes are important, of course, and mushrooms give some good protein but there are some unique aspects to even grass fed / free grazing beef: CLA, conjugated linoleic acid. Our brains really need this.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/03/23/conjugated-linoleic-acid-from-grass-fed-beef.aspx

Mercola's article on the topic [and you can search beyond that for top articles, too]

Red meats also help us with the ever so important heme for our iron stores, different from plant irons.

TAURINE, too, is a key nutrient from muscle proteins. Very little in veggies and we cannot make enough within our bodies. If you do not eat muscle proteins, taurine MUST be supplements, just as B-12 would be. See article in next post as to why.

Cost may be one reason you avoid it (?) or the treatment yet you can find ethically raised / treated and also just not consume as much as one might have in times past and balance out with good vegetable protein, as well.

Others may do okay with it but do consider what Buhner writes about that. His books are "required" to understand more about lyme and the body - even if you don't use herbs.

See books about lyme and other tick borne infections by

Stephen Harrod Buhner (a master herbalist who is extremely lyme literate)
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://icmr.nic.in/ijmr/2006/august/0804.pdf

THE REQUIREMENTS OF PROTEIN & AMINO ACID DURING ACUTE & CHRONIC INFECTION . . .

Anura V. Kurpad - Institute of Population Health & Clinical Research, Bangalore, India 129. Indian J Med Res 124, August 2006, pp 129-148.

Excerpt:

" . . . In general, the amount of EXTRA protein that would appear to be needed is of the order of 20-25 per cent of the recommended intake, for most infections. . . ."

- 20 pages - Full article at link (or web search the title if it does not go through).
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://itsnotjustlyme.com/replenish-10-nutrients-leached-lyme/

How to Replenish These 10 Nutrients Leached by Lyme Disease

From Blog: It's Not Just Lyme - February 15, 2015
Excerpt:

. . . In summary

Meat, butter, and egg yolks are superior to supplements. . . .

. . . Eat butter and coconut oil for short-, medium-, and long-chain fatty acids.

Eat your B6 in the form of salmon, chicken, turkey, potatoes, bananas, garbanzo beans and liver.

Eat your folate in the form of liver, beets, lettuce, asparagus, spinach, oranges, lentils, pinto beans or garbanzo beans.

Eat your B12 in the form of meat, dairy and eggs. There are other food sources, but these generally supply non-bioavailable forms of B12.

Eat egg yolks! They are the best source of choline. They are also good for selenium. . . .

As you say you are having gut trouble, be sure about the form of magnesium you take. From the above article:]

. . . Magnesium is hard to get enough of in diet alone. Supplement with magnesium citrate, malate, taurate, or glycinate. Other kinds are harsh on the stomach. . . .
-

Jenene
Member # 49398

Thanks so much for all this info. I have been vegetarian before I knew I had lyme. I have been considering adding it back to my diet to help my health. I'm not sure I could eat meat but I might try. I just recently added eggs back a couple weeks ago. I also have been taking probiotics for years. I called my Dr this morning about yeast infect and he said I am not taking enough and to up it. I am currently taking about 30 billion. He wants me at 40-60

My yeast infection started yesterday. I have been in treatment for prob like 3 weeks. My diet is usually pretty good but the last few days not as good as I like.

My Dr is a Lyme Dr. I drive like 1 1/2 hours to see him. He said when I go back to see him next week he will write me anti fungal RX.

--------------------
Jk

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You might get some Beef Stew Meat - from a good source - and just cook that until very tender. Onions, a little garlic and herbs such as rosemary & thyme.

Saute the onions with a little (enough) good oil but wait for most of the oils / butter in any food for just before serving to maintain their freshness.

If you roast a chicken with lid on the pot, it will be more tender. I use lemon myrtle tea as the liquid for the pan. If you have a cast iron pan, that will hold in more moisture to make it more tender. Lower heat for longer.

Then you can later boil the bones for broth with a little organic apple cider vinegar.

Probiotics, alone, are not enough, IMO, no matter how high you go. And very, very high and it could cause loose bowels. The amount suggested to you should be fine - and even higher but gradually. Remember to spread it out and keep a couple hours away from antibiotics - both clock directions.

Be certain your brand is top notch. Some are not at all what they say they are and can be useless.

Also rinse your mouth with some of the powder after brushing and a few times a day after swishing with clear water. Then add some probiotics so your mouth can be happy, too. Just be careful not to breathe in any powder.

If possible you might go ahead and order the Seagate Olive Leaf extract, tablets and also liquid for your mouth.

I highly recommend that over any antifungal Rx for many reasons.

Get the Rx, though, fill it and take it . . . but after that has worked, then OLE for long term maintenance all the while on antibiotics might be all well and good for you.

Do discuss with your LLMD, of course. There is likely not one LLMD who does not know about OLE but some just don't get into herbs.

Most antifungal Rx is hard on the liver but also the OLE has so many other properties & benefits that work well with any lyme protocol. But only Seagate - or one with the same procedures at each step of growth, harvest, processing.

OLE has been shown to help in heavy metal detox, too. Something that those with lyme need to pay attention to as when lyme is treated, heavy metals can be released in the body.

Seagate usually has a two for one sale going on. They are in the U.S. and are very trusted. More detail:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/115457?#000000

OLE Links
-

[ 12-29-2016, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Jenene
Member # 49398

I'm not sure what powder you men to rinse my mouth.

I found olive leafs extract on Amazon. I saw tablets, throat spray and liquid. Which is best and how much do I take?

--------------------
Jk

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
powder for mouth: probiotic powder from inside the capsule

OLE best from SEAGATE direct site - better discount and FRESHER and you know there is no middle person or that it's been stored wrong along the way. SEAGATE links in the OLE set.

The TINCTURE is what you can use for your mouth, very soothing. No alcohol but the tablets are best to get into the body.

Start low and slow with anything. One a day, with food, middle of day usually when you are just lying low.

Away from any Rx by a couple / few hours both clock directions.

With any new herb, at LEAST 2-3 hours of reading first is a good idea - from real sites, not just the mass media blurbs on it. Links in the OLE set should serve well for that.

Communicate with your LLMD before taking.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Regarding fungal / yeast / candida infections. If you are in an intimate relationship, even just kissing can pass candida back and forth, as can more intimate contact.

With the same prior checklist, your partner might best also take anti-fungal measures.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Regardless of gender, washing off after toilet use can be very helpful during / preventing worsening of uro-genital candida issues. Some women also have issues with vulvodynia. Water cleansing can be a help, there, too.

To help with that:

You search for a "bidet bottle" - or a peritoneal bottle.

I prefer the lid / tops / spouts that can easily air dry well. If air can't get to all the parts, it's best to pass it on by. Air dry in the air . . . do not put into a closed drawer or space until it's fully dry. Then always run some fresh water through the nozzle before it hits your body.

http://brondell.com/spa-suite/gospa-travel-bidet.html

GoSpa - Travel Bidet bottle

point the ergonomic nozzle in the correct direction

Angled spray design for perfect aim

For a recycled bottle:

The SPOUT stream needs to go out SIDE WAYS.

Bottles that have the vertical spouts just don't work well to aim the water when turned upside down with one hand. This spout style shoots out from the side.

If the spout is straight up out of the bottle, you have to do gymnastics to hold the bottle far out & horizontal, not vertical & close to your body with more control as the slim bottle with sideways spout will allow.

Some people can manage any shape, spout but it was learning curve for me.

http://avalonorganics.com/shampoos

I had to stop using the shampoo as it was too harsh for me . . . but the bottles were a great save. You may have something similar.

I found round bottles to be too bulky for that tight fit (unless you have an elongated toilet seat) and not spew water all over.

The FLAT style of this green bottle here works just perfectly. The integrity of the plastic is just right, too, allow for the right kind of pressure.

Water does not spray all over to the floor when I pay attention.

[Some bottles will not actually let you push the water out if the plastic is too heavy. Too light, and they can break. Mine like this have lasted years.]

The simple spout is a PUSH lever - just press lightly with ONE HAND. Very easy to push open once positioned near you, over toilet - and it can be aimed is right.

SIDEWAYS SPOUT.

Just don't press the spout open to stream water until upside down and aimed right at the target. It is possible to do this and not have water land on the floor.

The easier it is, then you will be more inclined to use with each bladder release or at least daily (& always after bowels move). I think this is a good habit to keep up and provides better comfort and less irritation in general to that area. Just PAT dry with tissue, gently.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Also of help with candida issues if the uro-genital tissues are affected, avoid baths, harsh soaps (as most are, really - see the SKIN DEEP feature from THE ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING GROUP website for safe soaps]

& after a water cleanse, a gentle salve applied 2 or 3 x a day.

Another note about intimate activities, some lotions / oils can affect condoms and cause them to break. Just important to know so you can make inquires in advance.

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/salves/salves.php

Mountain Rose Herbs - SALVES

Goldenseal-Myrrh Compound (a salve)

http://www.vitacost.com/herb-pharm-original-salve-optimal-well-being

Herb Pharm Original Salve™
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Whether one is vegetarian or not, the recipes here - and skills taught - can be very helpful.

Be aware, though that Seitan is called Vegetarian Wheat Meat -- NOT at all okay for those who are gluten free. Tofu, though lighter, is a good alternative just be sure of what's in each brand you might buy.

Bulgar (in a lot of vegetarian recipes) is also NOT okay for those who are gluten-free. Quinoa or Buckwheat groats (not wheat) can be a good substitute.

https://www.christinacooks.com/

CHRISTINA COOKS

Vegetarian, plant based foods, Mediterranean flavors.

She overcame cancer with, among other things, a healthful vegetarian diet. Good recipes here and any wheat or even brown rice syrup can be switched out.

For good protein choices, this is an excellent place to get to know.
-

Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenene:
... I called my Dr this morning about yeast infect and he said I am not taking enough and to up it. I am currently taking about 30 billion. He wants me at 40-60

Have not read all of Keebler's posts but you're in good hands. Just wanted to mention that my doc only prescribed 30 billion when he started me on abx. HUGE mistake. It is not enough for women. I slowly worked my way up to 400+ billion (common). So that is why you got yeast along with the abx.

So juice on top of yeast means more yeast. I also take NAC and glutamine but I muscle test for them so I know when to take them and how much. You can learn how to do it too from you tubes.

Have you discovered s.boullardi yet? It is good for people on abx, and even those who are not. S.boullardi will keep you from getting C-diff (Florastor is a good brand).

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement