LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What to expect when using abx and getting C diff ( clostridium difficile colitis)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What to expect when using abx and getting C diff ( clostridium difficile colitis)
josh123
Member # 48198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for josh123   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All,

I was on and off on abx because of tummy and Diarrhea issues. Stopped abx because I was out of country.

Started abx 10 days ago with doxy and having loose stools. Taking 2 VSL3 and 2 florastor probiotics with out fail still having loose stools. When contacted doc office asked me to stop abx and ordered c diff test. Since Friday having abdominal pain with loose stools. Will take the test tomorrow for C diff.

If I get C diff for one abx how it would be when I add other 2 to 3 abx that doc gave..

Any info on like what to expect and what food restrictions etc on C diff is helpful.

--------------------
NA

Posts: 74 | From Dallas | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
josh123
Member # 48198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for josh123   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can we do anything for not getting C diff in future?

Any info on C diff is appreciated.

--------------------
NA

Posts: 74 | From Dallas | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have loose stools as a herx sometimes. Lyme or Bartonella or something lives in my gut, so loose stools aren't always a bad thing.

Sometimes during heavy antibiotic treatment, I've had to take up to 4 vsl#3 DS sachets a day + researched nutritional's probiotics + sachromyces boulardii. I finally got a feel for when my gut needs more or less probiotics.

It's all trial and error and learning. Don't get too worried yet. Your loose stools might not be that big of a deal in the end. Glad your getting checked for c diff just in case though.

Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Talk to your LLMD as if this is right for your body at this time:

1. Florastor .. saccromyces boulardii - this is a very special type but it may not be right for every person at all times

. . . and other probiotics, too, though most are not specific against c. diff as is sacromyces boulardii. Not all probiotics are the same; not all are what they say they are. Get recommendations for specific types / brands from your LLMD.

2. Avoid PPI Rx (heartburn drugs),

3. close toilet lids before flushing - be informed about flushing toilets out and about and how to try to avoid the spray and residue on surfaces,

and more detail here that I hope helps:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=131809;p=0

C difficile - prevention
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
A gluten-free diet is also a good idea to help the gut as might be a dairy free diet and absolutely a GMO-free diet. GMO foods can destroy the gut lining.

You might get assessed for CELIAC yet, even if not celiac, many with lyme do much better when avoiding all traces of gluten - for various reasons.

Organic foods, too, are best when possible.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While diarrhea may be not bad for some, it may be hell for others, who have muscle waste and are underweight.

Besides, chronic diarrhea will not help healing, on the contrary, will make anything ingested work much less.

That includes all medicine, supplements and food, of course.

Diarrhea short term is one thing. Long term is another thing, something to be avoided.

I would shift treatments if this happens, go away from abx, like many here (like my daughter and myself).

There are so many other alternatives, that are better LONG TERM than abx, that I see no reason to stay on abx if such reactions occur, long term.

Two parts of your body show how your health is, like a mirror: the mouth, and the gut (in my view).

Lots of problems in the teeth, jaws, roots, dead teeth, caries, weak teeth = problems in the whole body (ex: nutrient absorption, infections, hormonal problems, brain problems...)

Lots of problems in the gut = that's your body's health state (nutrient absorption, infections, overweight or underweight, constipation or diarrhea or both alternate, candida, parasites, bacterial infections spread all over, etc).

My rule of thumb is: whatever I do to heal infections (like lyme, coinfections), I try to keep both my mouth and gut in good state, because damaging them will be harmful long term.

No way I would trade lyme for candida in the gut: it's a bad trade.

Cancer patients die with candida (from candida?),...

....and candida mimics almost all lyme symptoms, attack many of your organs, joints, cause allergies, brain fog, fatigue, ruin digestion etc, exactly like lyme (but milder than lyme).

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
josh123
Member # 48198

Thank you very much SickSam, Keebler and Brussels for your valuable inputs. Will follow your suggestions.

My doc office suggested to take only one VSL3 ( brand suggested by doc) tab when using doxy. When add other abx I was asked to take two VSl3 tabs per day. florastor was suggested in lymenet when I mentioned about loose stools. Doc office did not mention about other probiotic brands. Will check with them again.

Given a test for C diff today. Doc office also ordered some blood work. Will give it later today.

Will keep you all posted about test results.

--------------------
NA

SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah since your only on doxy I would think 1 VSL would be plenty. Not sure if you know l, but 2 VSL #3 = 1 VSL #3 DS. So I've taken up to 8 VSL#3 (max recommended dose) depending on how many antibiotics I'm on.

Also could be that doxy is just irritating your gut. Lots of possibilities. If you're taking doxycycline hyclate you might try doxycycline monohydrate instead. It's supposedly much easier on the stomach.

Are you taking doxy with food? That's important too.

Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it turns out that you have c diff, you will have to stop all of your antibiotics and take only the special antibiotic for c diff.

You can eat anything you want with c diff.

You will also be instructed to take Florastor daily in addition to your prescription for c diff.

On page 22 of Burrascano, he says that the cases of c diff among lyme patients is low if they follow the instruction to take probiotics. This is true even though the antibiotic treatment is intense.

"The induction of Clostridium difficile toxin production is seen most commonly with ceftriaxone, but can occur with any of the antibiotic regimens mentioned in this document. However, pulsed dose therapy and regular use of the lactobacillus preparations seems to be helpful in controlling yeast and antibiotic related colitis, as the number of cases of C. difficile in Lyme patients is low when these guidelines are followed. Be sure to test stool for both toxin A and toxin B when evaluating for C. difficile colitis."

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
josh123
Member # 48198

Thanks SickSam on VSL3 and VSL info. I am not aware of it.

Will check with doc on Doxy once I get the results back.

Yes TF. I was only on one Abx which is Doxy and I stopped it from Friday. Still having mild to moderate stomach pain on and off.. Not sure what it is related to..

Will keep u all posted with the results.

Can Candida or yeast infection cause stomach pain? How to identify candida with out having thrush in the mouth?

--------------------
NA

TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, candida causes stomach pain and bloating. When I had it, my pain was continual.

I asked my doctor for Diflucan in case it was yeast. The Diflucan took away the pain and bloating. So, that proved that I was suffering from candida.

I suffered with it for at least 3 months. My doctor was no good. I had to figure out on my own that this was likely candida.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
josh123
Member # 48198

Thank you very much TF for the info.

Results are not back yet. When asked doc office whether we can order a test for candida I was told candida will not cause stomach pain and they said we will wait for the results to come and then we will go from there..

Some times the pain is mild and moderate but some times it is really pain.

I have Diflucan with me my doc ordered when I took 3 abx at a time in November. At that time I had itching.. This time I do not have thrush, itching or anything... I can try taking Diflucan and see if the pain still continues.

So many hurdles before even getting back on right abx/treatment.

Did u take Diflucan during all your abx treatment or stopped once the pain got under control and strict candida diet?

--------------------
NA

TF
Member # 14183

If I were you, I would not take the diflucan until you find out if you have c diff.

Do not do ANYTHING until you find out if this is c diff. You are going to have to have some patience for a few days.

My lyme doctor was very strict with his patients. We had to stay on the candida diet with no exceptions. If we got yeast, we had to call the office and talk with the staff about it.

They would ask what you ate that you should not have eaten. Then, they would say that this is what caused the candida.

The doc would then be contacted and generally would order 3 days worth of diflucan to kill the yeast and we would be told to not break the anti-yeast diet rules.

Your doctor is much more liberal and puts patients on diflucan daily. My doc would NOT do that in my experience.

Generally, if you have candida, it will show up in the mouth.

If you don't have c diff, you may be told to go to a gastroenterologist to diagnose your stomach pain. When I had candida, my stomach pain was basically mild. It never became severe, just mild. And, it ALWAYS caused bloating. That is probably how it caused the pain--from the bloating (gas pain).

tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tulips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For diarrhea, drink 1 cup of black tea per day (not too strong or it will have the opposite effect) with sugar or artificial

sweetener if you prefer. I prefer the tea without sugar. (I actually have 1/2 cup each day) - see if it helps by day two or three.

Another natural remedy for diarrhea is bee pollen (lots) and blackberries but black tea (must be black - Lipton is good) works for me. -

something about the tannins. Google it for more info. I had diarrhea, severe and not so severe, for over a year before I discovered this remedy.

Then perhaps your doc will give you something like Nystatin to go along with the rest of the abx.

[ 01-11-2017, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: tulips ]

Posts: 653 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over the last few months, with an increase in my ABX and going on IV Rocephin, I noticed an increase in bowel motility and many looser stools with occasional cramping. Two things that have helped are increasing my intake of probiotics (VSL#3 and sacro b) as well as adding an enzyme at mealtime - Betain HCL with Pepsin.

Since adding the betain, I have noticed the biggest improvement. (also helps with acid reflux) Maybe you could try this? I hope your testing is negative for C-Diff. It is good that you got tested...

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
josh123
Member # 48198

Thank you so much TF, tulips and dbpei for the info.

TF, I will wait until the results are back before starting any meds or Diflucan. I have bloating too with pain.
I will follow strict candida diet.

Tulips, This time apart from loose stools I have stomach pain which worries me. Will try your suggestions blackberries and black tea.

dbpei, I am not aware of Betain HCL with Pepsin. Will check on this and ask my doc about this.

Will keep you all posted with the results.

--------------------
NA

tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tulips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Josh, with bloating and stomach pain, you need your doctor. Black tea is for simple diarrhea. I had diarrhea which was from Bartonella. Best of luck.
Posts: 653 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
josh123
Member # 48198

Got the results.. C diff and blood work they did for some specific enzymes came back negative.

Doc asked me to go to PCP and get it checked (could be stool test or something).

Having loose stools ( 2 to 3 per day), bloating, mild stomach pain and tummy making sounds..

Are these related to candida or gut issues?

one more doubt.. If we take more probiotics than needed would it cause these type of issues?

Any ideas and suggestions on this?

Thanks and Regards,

--------------------
NA

dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is great that you don't have C-diff. My stomach was definitely doing ALL of what you describe for the past several weeks, while I adjusted to both oral and IV antibiotics. And I was going a lot more than 2 - 3 x per day!

Two things really helped to fix my GI problems.

1. Once I figured out some good times to take my probiotics (1 cap of VSL#3 and 1 of sacro b) in the middle of the day and again at bedtime - both 3 hours away from my ABX.

2. 1 cap of Betaine HCL with Pepsin taken with all 3 meals.

Adding betaine with pepsin seemed to be the turning point for me. I can't believe how much better I am doing now with these GI issues. Talk to your LLMD about this and maybe it will help you like it did me.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Dbpei, do you take the betaine Hcl at the same time as other meds? I'm trying to start using it for my gut too but don't wanna interfere with my antibiotics or other prescriptions.

Josh, glad there's no c diff! Even before I ever started antibiotics, diarrhea and bloating were symptoms for me. It was a huge problem. The antibiotic Bactrim made my diarrhea much better. So yeah, your diarrhea could be infection-related, or could just be your body adjusting to the antibiotics. When I'm on certain antibiotics my stomach gurgles like crazy.

On your question, when I take more probiotics than necessary, it actually causes constipation in me, but I suppose maybe it might cause diarrhea in some people. Anything is possible.

dbpei
Member # 33574

SickSam, I take the betaine HCL at the same time as my other meds. At breakfast and dinner, this is with ABX. I take other nutritional supplements with all 3 meals as well. I have never been told that you need to take this away from any other meds.

FYI - I just recently learned that I had not been taking enough of my tetracycline as my LLMD prescribed it. (I had to double it!) Once I increased the dosage, bowel motility increased! But things seem to be settling down now.

I hope that in time, things will get back to a more normal state and the probiotics and betaine will be enough to stabilize things.

SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Dbpei, thank you! Glad to know its ok to take at the same time as meds.

I've been taking it at lunch when I don't have any meds to take, and it helps, but now I'll start taking it with breakfast and dinner too and I'm sure it'll help even more.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement