LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Appendectomy (appendix removal) anyone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Appendectomy (appendix removal) anyone?
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really worried about my wife. I've suspected she may have Lyme or another infection for a long time now.

She got appendicitis almost week ago and had her appendix removed last Sunday. In the hospital they gave her Levaquin, Flagyl, and Zosyn (some weird antibiotic I've never heard of).

She's home, but she feels like she's dying. Her fever is staying in the 99s now but she actually feels much worse. She's sweating randomly. The things she's saying remind me of when I first got sick. She's very weak.

Shouldn't she feel a little better by now, since her fever is much lower, if appendicitis were her only problem? I'm worried she's sweating from killing Bart with Leavquin, and that flagyl has sent her into a major Lyme herx. ):

We're staying with her parents, who are taking care of both of us and our kids too. I'm actually stronger than she is right now, which is crazy, because I can't do hardly anything for myself.

Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it a real fever near like 99.9 or over 100? (Doctors won't consider it a fever until 99.9 or over 100) I would be very concerned if she was consistently running a fever after surgery.

You should call her PCP or the surgeon that did her appendectomy. They will give you guidance.

They may want you to take your wife back to the hospital to run blood cultures and start antibiotics.

A fever is not something to ignore. They used to have that on post- op paper work but it gets lost and we always throw it away...

I would also not assume it is related to Lyme at all. Not everything is Lyme. Her body is dealing with the acute problem of the appendicitis- inflammation/ infection of the appendix.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was up to 101.8 two days ago, but now it's staying in the 99s thankfully. Her doc wasn't concerned till the first time it went over 101.

She's still taking Levaquin at home, and she was taking flagyl too, but she stopped today because we think it might be making her herx. The doc didn't prescribe the flagyl anyway, just the Levaquin.

Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The doctor was concerned but what action was taken or advice given?
Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

He called in Levaquin. This was on Monday. They actually sent her home from the hospital Sunday without any antibiotics at all.

I called Tuesday and told them her fever was higher, and they said keep taking Levaquin. Every day since then her fever has been less, usually in the 99s. So her fever is headed the right direction.

But her overall health doesn't seem to be. That's why I'm wondering if feeling horrible for this long after an appendectomy is normal. Or if maybe this is herxing.

TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many people cannot tolerate flagyl. It kills a lot of things including parasites.

So, your wife may just be a person who gets very sick on flagyl. I have friends like this that will never take it again. And, they don't have lyme disease either.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

That's what I'm hoping this is TF. Maybe she'll wake up tomorrow feeling a little better.
sammy
Member # 13952

It's NOT normal to have a fever, especially on antibiotics after a surgery. She should be feeling gradually better every day. More "normal" at least.

She needs to be seen by a doctor to make sure that her wounds are healing right, no signs of infection there or in the abdomen.

SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

They actually said it is normal to have a temp up to 100.5 after surgery. I thought that was weird. Once it crossed that threshold I called.

Since it's only in the 99s now I don't think they're gonna be concerned but we'll call anyway if she doesn't feel a little better tomorrow.

SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

I should add, she still has a drain line in that will be removed next week. It's been draining less and less, which the doc says is a sign things are headed the right direction. So all the signs are going the right way, but she feels worse instead of better.
Jordana
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think you should worry yet. The body does not take kindly to being opened up and poked around in. There's a huge adjustment it has to make to recover from something like that. A fever is the immune system on the alert.

I've had three surgeries in my life and I felt like utter hell for weeks afterward. The physical trauma, anesthesia and the fact that an infected organ can make you very ill tend to conspire.

It doesn't have to be Lyme; it can either be recovery or an infection related to surgery; though since the fever is lower it's likely to be resolving.

However if it keeps on for a couple more days you guys need to get back to the hospital. Not Lyme, sepsis.

Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Think she feels a little better today (: we'll see how the day goes.

This is just weird though, because she's had two c-sections, so we figured the recovery from this appendectomy would be similar to or easier than the c-sections. So far that hasn't been the case at all. Must be the infection that's making it so much harder.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement