LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » DGL Licorice and Libido

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DGL Licorice and Libido
MissVictoria
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissVictoria     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I'm 22 years old and I have been taking a DGL licorice supplement called DGL Plus (from Pure Encapsulations) 3-4 times a day for the past 5 months. I just realized that this is what was causing me to have no libido. I stopped taking the supplement two weeks ago and I still don't have a libido. About how long will it take for my libido to go back to normal, and is there anything I can do to help my libido go back to normal?

Posts: 241 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never heard of licorice supplements causing loss of libido! Being sick with tick borne illness can cause this too. Between the damage it does to our brains and bodies, and the way we feel while suffering, many of us don't have the same sex drives we did when we were well. [Frown]
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I never would have thought DGL would do that. It looks like it affects cortisol. In addition lyme can do it too. I think I'll buy my husband some licorice!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/143786-how-does-licorice-root-help-lower-libido/

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are too funny, Catgirl. [Smile] That was good information! I may want to slow down on my daily pot of licorice tea!
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It would seem that since you stopped this two weeks ago and see no change in libido points to other variables - and most likely, lyme / other infections in the may ways they can interfere with our wishes.

Usually - for most people - either regular licorice or DGL will help GENTLY increase libido as it supports adrenal function & mood - and helps reduce stress chemical overload.

Lyme, itself, though, sharply reduces libido (in so many ways) as the body really needs to conserve energy for the health "emergency" of sorts that lyme presents in daily life.

Yet, this can come in waves. And, if the adrenal system or the entire HPA-axis is overwhelmed, there can be times when one pulls in someone for intimacy with extreme need - on so many levels. It's very complicated, all this.

Unless caused by a particular substance (many Rx will lower libido, for instance - as can stress, illness) . . . when we are ill, a lower libido is doing us a favor and it may be best to "listen" to it and not push our energy output yet reach for other ways to feel intimacy and love.

Sexual stuff (can't find the right word), well, it's so very hard on the body - the heart - circulation, etc. if the body is ill. Listen lovely and know this is not forever. Also, please - please - do not take anything that promises increased libido. It can be too harsh on an ill body.

Hopefully, with a loving and committed partner, you will both find a way to work through this. You might plan more rest for a couple days prior, and after, for instance. Treat it as an energy output that is top priority - just never push beyond what your body is telling you.

Take care
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=034980;p=0#000000

LICORICE ROOT EXTRACT -- Informational Links set - for detail on how it works

DGL is absent Glycerrhizinic acid in licorice. Be aware that - for men [and maybe for women? as women also have some "male" hormones, too -- I wonder but what I've read did not discuss that] -

the Glycerrhizinic acid in regular licorice can affect, and in some cases may lower some male hormone levels. Again, though, this would not relate to DGL.

Still, when adrenal support helps calm the body, the body may "wise up" and decide not to engage in activity that is too stressful given the particulars of illness. That's might be one way to think about it.

The goal of any adrenal support is about BALANCING the body, giving it the food / nutrients so the body can rest, recover and better function. But all that is complicated with illness.

http://www.pureencapsulations.com/dgl-plus.html

DGL Plus by Pure Encapsulations - scroll down for tab to Ingredient list - in case others might be interested

I see nothing in this that would seem to depress libido.
-

[ 02-01-2017, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Still, if you prefer a different way to help adrenal support:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT

Or if DGL was to help your stomach lining, there are various other options here such as slippery elm, marshmallow root, etc. Just scroll to those links:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=119808;p=0

Topic: Treatment / Support for Gastroparesis

Many great links here for helping the gut
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You posted elsewhere in Jan. 2015: " . . . Chronic Lyme & Bartonella and I was recently diagnosed with Iron Deficiency Anemia . . . "

one reply was to also consider Babesia as it often causes anemia.

Are you being treated by an ILADS educated LLMD or LL ND? Or doing a direct approach with assertive treatment against the infections while also using good liver support ?

Just a rhetorical question. Treating the infections is so vital as is excellent liver and adrenal support. If you can't access a LLMD or LL ND, there are some other ways but it must be direct and assertive, with support.

And, yes, when infections are adequately addressed with good support - many who have gotten better report that libido does improve.

And, along the way, there are various ways to still enjoy all aspects of live - with creative adjustments.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
www.healthywomen.org/content/article/intimacy-without-intercourse?context=ages-and-stages/10191

Intimacy Without Intercourse
-

MissVictoria
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissVictoria     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Keebler. The loss of libido started when I began taking the DGL licorice. I've never experienced this symptom prior.

I'm pretty much better from Lyme and Bartonella, except for a couple of minor symptons, so I only need to see my LLMD a couple of times a year. The anemia was caused by an ulcer in my stomach that bleeds.

Posts: 241 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Glad to hear you are "pretty much better"

Well, any food, herb or Rx can affect two different people in different ways, too. And, even for the same person with the same results from a particular food, herb or Rx . . . those actions can also just change.

My guess is that the article about intimacy might have some suggestions that will then lead to more sparks. Yet, if it seems just off kilter you might ask your gynecologist about it and have them run a hormone test.
-

MissVictoria
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45232

Do you think my libido will eventually go back to normal with time, since I've stopped taking the supplement? I'm just scared that this might be permanent.
MissVictoria
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45232

Licorice root lowers testosterone levels
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
but DGL is not the same thing as licorice root, DGL has that ingredient removes that lowers testosterone.

the Glycerrhizinic acid in regular licorice can affect, and in some cases may lower some male hormone levels. Again, though, this would not relate to DGL.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Unless you had some kind of accident that would affect nerve fibers to the uro-genital region, parts of your spine or brain . . . or there might otherwise for other reasons be some nerve impingement

indeed . . . your libido will most surely shift. There are so many factors in libido, though, so if you are feeling good in general, have good energy and are not carrying heavy stress or gone through relationship issues of late . . .

I can assure you that you will become interested in intimacy again. Still, consider any Rx you are taking and if there might be any formula changes. Any sleep aids, etc. and alcohol use can depress libido, too.

Your gynecologist should have some more detail for you for various physiological matters. Hope the article above helps shift things along, too.

Our human bodies are very complex and you will find times all through your life where it just takes some patience.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Myth: be careful not to get caught in how you think sex should be.

Seek: to illuminate the complex interplay between mind and body

as the writer below wishes an author had done in this book review that offers some important ways of looking at the sexuality.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/09/18/what-neuroscience-really-says-about-the-vagina-and-female-desire/

What Neuroscience Really Says About Female Desire

Time magazine - Sept. 18, 2012

Excerpt:

. . . But the kind of oversimplification seen in Wolf’s book and, sadly, in many other popular accounts of neuroscience, threatens to perpetuate a psychological myth. Rather than illuminating the complex interplay between mind and body, it portrays human beings — especially women — as automatons, enslaved by brain chemicals we cannot control. . . .

www.aasect.org

American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists
-

MissVictoria
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45232

Thanks so much!

I originally thought I damaged/desensitized myself because of excessive vibrator use. There was specifically a day in August when I felt like something was wrong down there while using my vibrator. I've been to the gynecologist about this and she didn't see any scar tissue or anything, so she said that I'm going to regain sensation again. But I'm able to have clitoral orgasms again, so my clitoral sensation is back (although orgasms aren't as good as before).

I've realized that the problem is that I'm not horny at all. I started the DGL Plus in the beginning of August, which was right before the problem when using my vibrator. Starting that supplement is the only thing in my healthcare regime that changed and, in hindsight, these problems started shortly after I started taking it.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
A few years ago Huffington Post had an hour long program on exactly the issue you mention - damage from sexual activity. It was an excellent interview panel.

Just because your doctor did not see scar tissue "or anything" does not at all mean there was not nerve damage.

I have to stop now.

You might explore some websites for vulvodynia as starters about nerve damage -- and yes, nerves can heal but it can take a while.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.nva.org/what-is-vulvodynia/

Vulvodynia - you might find some answers here even if your matter is not exactly this
-

MissVictoria
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45232

Thank you so much [Smile]

My clit has sensation again, so that isn't the problem. The problem is that I don't have any libido anymore, probably caused by the DGL Plus.

I was just curious if anyone else has experience with this and whether my libido will naturally just come back on its own, or if there is anything I can do to bring it back

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Sexuality is not so much always about the mechanics.

Turn your attention to other matters of the sensory experience. Get out of the bedroom to explore other avenues - and take up dance (or attend a performance) . . . learn a musical instrument . . . go to art galleries . . . explore all your senses and the wonder of nature.

Get to know all kinds of new people who might be engaged in good activities of art, color, volunteering. Or a new creative hobby. Spend time with all kinds of people whom you love.

Anything you can do to get out and experience a full life will come around to nurture and nourish your spirit in all manners.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Looking back over your recent posts, you say:

" . . . started the DGL Plus in the beginning of August, which was right before the problem when using my vibrator. Starting that supplement is the only thing in my healthcare regime that changed and, in hindsight, these problems started shortly after I started taking it. . . ." (end quote)

It sure sounds like the vibrator is the major variable here. And that you have some sensation issues still seem that maybe your body is just telling you to hold off for now so there can be better healing.

If you are not in a relationship, this might give you some time and energy for other sensory adventures. Sky diving? Roller blade adventures?

If you are in a relationship, this still could give you / two a chance for new dimensions. Really.
-

Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you do a coffee enema it will clean it out of your system. Coffee enemas increase libido for some. [Smile] Me, I'm licorice shopping today!

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme n bart really hit my nerves ..all over ...
Regular licorice helped my blood pressure which helped things ...
If you have a active ulcer it may be a unaddressed h pylori infection caused one ...
be glad you have a libido and it will recover or get worse as aging does ..jk

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MissVictoria
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45232

Bump

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement