LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » MCAD people: how are you faring?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MCAD people: how are you faring?
mjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious to know how anyone diagnosed with MCAD or MCAS is doing on the meds.

Did your doctor do testing for the disease or syndrome? If yes, which test(s)?

Which med(s) for MCAD/MCASiss are you on currently?

Were there any other meds or supplements tried in the past that were specific for MCAD/MCAS?

Anyone believe after treatment that MCAD/MCAS is no longer an issue for them?

Thanks in advance of your input!

Posts: 422 | From Luck home | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no cure, only management.

I do feel better since going on cromolyn sodium last year.

I'll have to come back later to tell you about the testing. You can go to www.tmsforacure.org in the meantime.

Some use quercetin for the histamine. I can't take any of the natural stuff. There's also holy basil.

I had to find an allergist/immunologist who already knew about MCAD in order to get the testing. If the doctor doesn't know what he is doing and the lab is CLUELESS, the test will not show properly. (sound familiar?)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/all.12126/full

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Tutu. Thanks for your input and the links too.

I read all of Dr. Afrin's book, with many trips to the glossary! Found it interesting and see lots of crossover with Lyme+coinfections and our symptoms and MCAS.

Do you have ideas about why you can't take the natural stuff?

Quercetin was ok for me for three days. On the fourth day twenty minutes after taking it I got a screaming headache. And I never get headaches! So it was most definitely the quercetin.

Posts: 422 | From Luck home | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Somehow I ended up with a salicylate sensitivity. I don't know if I've always had it or what.

It came to a head when I was juicing and eating "healthy" foods .. to the max.

Broke out in hives and ezcema.. been a mess ever since. Then found out 2 yrs later that I had MCAS, which I know has been with me "forever."

So .. just about anything "natural" is "bad" for me.

Quite a few people on the MCAS board have a salicylate sensititity also.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

You might be interested in this video:

http://www.raredr.com/conferences/rdd2014/extra-adrenal-pheochromocytoma

About two minutes in, he begins talking about MCAD.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

WOW .. Still reviewing this one...

http://strengthflexibilityhealtheds.com/2015/09/03/diagnosing-mast-cell-activation-syndrome-mcas-post-1-of-4-in-series/

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

mjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7876

Tutu. Does aspirin make your ears ring too? Or make you sweat? Those are my stx from it.
unsure445
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure445     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MJO, if you are around, just wondering if you pursued testing and with what type of practitioner? How are you doing?

Lymetoo, do you think lyme and coinfections caused you to have this? You are in remission form the tick-borne infections, right?

I was just diagnosed with MCAD clinically and my lyme doc recommended seeing an allergist. I get the impression though that a run of the mill allergist doesn't test or treat this?

Or do they?

MJO, hope you are feeling good these days. Thanks!

--------------------
unsure445

Posts: 824 | From northeast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.nourishingplot.com/2015/03/11/holistically-stopping-a-histamine-reaction/
Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by unsure445:

Lymetoo, do you think lyme and coinfections caused you to have this? You are in remission form the tick-borne infections, right?

I was just diagnosed with MCAD clinically and my lyme doc recommended seeing an allergist. I get the impression though that a run of the mill allergist doesn't test or treat this?

Or do they?

[/QB]

-
Yes.. but it's the chicken and egg thing.. which came first? I've had Lyme since I was about 8 yrs old so it's hard to say.

Remission from Lyme and babs .. yes.

Allergists who know how to do the testing for MCAD are rare. Sound familiar? Expect to be blown off or offered Xolair shots as your only option.

I refused the shots because I don't need more trouble. One day I may have to take them .. and MAYBE they will work.

I'm on cromolyn sodium as my mainstay. I also take Claritin and Pepcid as needed. I try not to take too much. I take Zyrtec when things are bad, but I don't feel well on it.

[ 09-18-2017, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

unsure445
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure445     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brussels, thank you for the comprehensive article which I skimmed but am going to read fully; great information!

Lymetoo, thank you for answering my question, I had a feeling this would be the case although I did read that there is now an insurance code for MCAD so maybe things will change down the road and it will be more widely treated in mainstream medicine.

Shots sound disastrous; there is bound to be some unwanted chemicals and preservatives in them.

Thanks Lymetoo and Brussels, I really appreciate the feedback!

--------------------
unsure445

Posts: 824 | From northeast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by mjo:
Tutu. Does aspirin make your ears ring too? Or make you sweat? Those are my stx from it.

Yes... I have a sensitivity to salicylates. If this is an issue for you, you will also need to avoid salicylates in skin care, shampoos, soaps, etc.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by unsure445:

Lymetoo, thank you for answering my question, I had a feeling this would be the case although I did read that there is now an insurance code for MCAD so maybe things will change down the road and it will be more widely treated in mainstream medicine.

Shots sound disastrous; there is bound to be some unwanted chemicals and preservatives in them.

-

Yes, on both counts. I think mainstream allergists would rather make their money on the shots. MCAD or MCAS is not very profitable for them.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement