LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » PCR vs antibody tests

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PCR vs antibody tests
Marz
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked this question in my post about DNA connexions, but probably no one responded because not many have had that test.

My real question is--since borellia, babesia and bartonella were found in urine, does that mean it's an active infection?

Before the test you're supposed to exercise or have deep tissue massage to release bacteria into urine, but I'm wondering if that might mean that they've just been hiding there and not really causing an active infection.

I don't have classic symptoms for bart and babs and never tested positive with Igenex for them.

I was hoping this would convince me that if they showed up in this DNA Connexions test that I would know I actually had those.

But I'm still doubting!

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to mention that DNA Connexions test is a PCR test, not antibody.
Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basically it is a PCR test like we've been using, from a newer lab.

PCR tests are accurate IF it detects the organism. The problem is it is very difficult to pick it up, often requiring multiple tests over a time period. Galaxy Lab reports PCR's can miss the diagnosis up to 90% of the time.

From the Connexions Lab...

"A positive PCR result from the DNA Connexions Lyme test indicates the presence of DNA from B. burgdorferi and/or other co-infectors.

A negative result does not prove a patient is not infected with a tick borne infection, rather it indicates the absence of detectable Lyme and/or other tick borne co-infections.

A patients ability to fight the disease, stage of infection, and timing of courses of antibiotics are only some of the factors that may affect the detectability of the spirochetes DNA."

http://www.dnaconnexions.com/LYME-DISEASE-TEST-lyme-Panel-Test-DNA-connexions.html

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You said.. "... they've just been hiding there and not really causing an active infection."

Sorry to say, if they are hiding there they are often doing so because of a threat (antibiotics, immune system, etc.).

And some just prefer to be where they are, like in the bladder. They LOVE the bladder.

Kind of like the song... "I have found me a home".

(Jimmy Buffett from his album- "A White Sports Coat and a Pink Crustacean.")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rYNUddO-jg

Once that threat is non-existent they can come back out in the open, entering the blood stream now and then, moving and grooving, and can continue to cause damage.

So in my opinion "hiding" would suggest an active infection that is currently dormant (not causing symptoms).

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

You said.. "My real question is--since borellia, babesia and bartonella were found in urine, does that mean it's an active infection?"

Based on my knowledge, and I am certainly not an expert...

There isn't any test for Bartonella on the market that can tell the difference between active infection or a past infection. I was recently communicating with a lab about this specific topic and they made it clear that you can't tell.

You can only tell there was an "exposure".

I guess my point is, no test I know of can make that distinction 100% for sure. I will toss Babesia and Lyme in that group now too.

Culture tests do seem to be useful, but again, the process isn't honed in enough to be without many false-negatives, often the larger percentage of those tested.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Yes, you've got me thinking.

You want to know if you take this test will it indicate you have an active infection or not.

If you do show a positive and haven't treated the specific disease causing organisms (you said no symptoms, so assuming you weren't treated for Babesia and Bartonella yet), my guess would be yes, it is active.

Now I'm done.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Marz
Member # 3446

Thanks for all your thoughts Tincup.

I do have symptoms, just not classic ones for babesia.

I was so hoping this test would show up negative for me and I could give up anymore treatment.

I'm trying to decide whether to take the mepron that was offered to me before I took this test on my own. LLMD thought I MIGHT have babs.

My LLMD didn't know enough about the test when I mentioned it to her to recommend it, so just decided to do it on my own since I didn't need MD order for it.

I'm still a little puzzled about the bacteria coming out after deep massage. I'd like to do it again without the massage! Not really--very pricey.

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tincup:
You said.. "My real question is--since borellia, babesia and bartonella were found in urine, does that mean it's an active infection?"

Based on my knowledge, and I am certainly not an expert...

There isn't any test for Bartonella on the market that can tell the difference between active infection or a past infection. I was recently communicating with a lab about this specific topic and they made it clear that you can't tell.

You can only tell there was an "exposure".

I guess my point is, no test I know of can make that distinction 100% for sure. I will toss Babesia and Lyme in that group now too.

Culture tests do seem to be useful, but again, the process isn't honed in enough to be without many false-negatives, often the larger percentage of those tested.

So, if you can answer, TC: Was it Galaxy Labs that said that no test, including PCR (or even culture test) can tell if you have an active infection vs prior exposure/infection??

I know that that is true with antibody tests, like the Western Blot. But that is also true for PCR??

I assume that that is NOT the case for a positive culture test, which Galaxy doesn't do.

However, as you said, getting a negative test result does NOT mean that you don't have the pathogen and an active infection.

BTW, I've never before tested positive for Bart or Babs, even though it is clear that I have both. BUT, I finally tested positive for Bart by PCR last month.

I thought that PCR did indicate an active infection. I do need to treat, however, haven't had adequate treatment and have very serious escalating symptoms. (Not to hijack the thread).

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up for Tincup.
Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement