LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Type 1 diabetes now in family

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Type 1 diabetes now in family
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question for everyone...

Have you heard of any off-spring from us Lymie's (or protozoan's) developing Type 1 diabetes which is an autoimmune disease.

I have my youngest daughter (34) that was diagnosed two years ago with Type 1 (yes, not type 2... she was skin and bones and up to 800 something when found!)
And now a 3 1/2 yr old granddaughter of my oldest daughter just diagnosed.

No family history of it up until now.

Wondering, as I think I had this before I had my daughters, did I pass down genes that would trigger this type of autoimmune?

I know it's just a guess on everyone's part, but just wondering if anyone has heard of this?

I see Dr. F in AZ soon, and will run this past him..... My dad (and his younger sister) died of ALS which is autoimmune too.

Just so weird to have two offspring now dealing with this!

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Various infections can cause various types of diabetes so that is to keep in mind. Some cultures say there are over eleven different classification of diabetes - maybe more. How we come to identify just what this has not yet been all "discovered" as far as I'm concerned. It's not so simple.

These offspring might have had infections that targeted their pancreases or genes from other relatives as well. It might have nothing to do with your genes at all.

Yet, even if so,

rather than think about possibly "passing down" any gene or characteristic that might cause issue,

consider that you really did not, could not, did not but it's just the way evolution goes and you had hundreds of ancestors before you and they were all partly responsible for your bodily presence and composition. And on and on . . . on and on.

It's your entire family's history and even if there might be some elements that cause trouble, your entire family also likely has some excellent genetic advantages. And the other families - hundreds of thousands of them over many thousands of years blending together in love to grow . . . yet, each person is still unique unto himself or herself. No two alike. Anywhere. Ever.

What we can pass down now is knowledge of what helps and getting involved in a journey of exploration of knowledge, activity and finding delicious foods that are nourishing and nurturing.

We can pass down so much more than the sum of our genes. And that matters oh, so very much more.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You might ask Dr. F in AZ about genetic testing, though I'm not really sure it's as advanced to really be able to tell us all we think it might. No test can ever say for sure how the roll of the dice stack up.

The help comes in being proactive and taking care of ourselves better, things that can be done with or without genetic testing.

There are so many different causes of diabetes - anything that can damage the pancreas, especially but not limited to just that.

Yet, there may be some endocrinologists who are exploring some aspects of genetic testing to determine the best treatments for those with Type 1 Diabetes, especially for very young newly diagnosed. Treatments certainly could improve.
-
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Though not at all about lyme, this is one of the best reference resources on my bookshelf that has wonderful chapters, many graciously available through their website.

Search here for: Gymnema Sylvestre for its help, as an example. Also look at PubMed for all the abstracts on it.

Home: http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/

The ONE EARTH HERBAL SOURCEBOOK (Tillotson, et al)

He is a doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine; She a doctor of Oriental Medicine and Acupuncturist. The third co-author is a doctor of optometry.

The main author of this book, Alan Tillotson, was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes as a child. He has some remarks in his book / pages at this site that speak to that and how when he learned how to manage that -- and with certain herbs -- that he has fared rather well, actually, for decades.

You could also contact him regarding any advances of which he may be aware, etc.

& interesting to take a look at this:

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/diabherb.htm

TREATMENT OF DIABETES WITH CHINESE HERBS

by Subhuti Dharmananda, Ph.D
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.potbellysyndrome.com/

The Potbelly Syndrome: How Common Germs Cause Obesity, Diabetes, and Heart Disease

website above, book below

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/159120058x/ref=nosim/httpwwwpotbel-20

by Russell Farris & Per Marin, MD,PhD - December 7, 2012

You can look inside the book here and see readers' reviews, too.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Air pollution's link to both Type I & Type II Diabetes has been in the news for some time now. Just a look into that.

Search Google for: "air pollution" "type 1 diabetes"

A few of many links:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16629713

Pediatr Diabetes. 2006 Apr;7(2):81-7.

Air pollution and type 1 diabetes in children.

http://www.diabetesandenvironment.org/home/contam/air

Diabetes and the Environment - Air Pollution

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2015/Mar/ambient-air-pollution-linked-to-type-1-diabetes-development-in-children-92658001.html

Ambient air pollution linked to type 1 diabetes development in children

24 Mar 2015
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Plastics, ENDOCRINE DISRUPTORS, GMO foods, etc.

&

Flame / fire retardants in our bodies have also been linked to various health ramifications.

Any textiles in a person's wardrobe or fabrics / furniture, even cookware (teflon) in the home that are treated with these chemicals are to be considered.

Many baby clothes, mattresses, toys, etc. are just dowsed in this stuff. Sigh.

Google: "Type I Diabetes" "Endocrine Disruptors"

One of many search results:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3443608/

J Environ Public Health. 2012; 2012: 713696.

Published online 2012 Sep 6. doi: 10.1155/2012/713696

PMCID: PMC3443608

Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals: Associated Disorders and Mechanisms of Action

[Full Article and 371 reference sources listed at link above]

Excerpt:

. . . 2.2. Diabetes

The United States Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports percentages of diabetes incidence of 0.93% in 1958 against 6.29% in 2008, which is a more than 6-fold increase, as is shown in Figure 4 [16].

Figure 4

Number and percentage of US population with diagnosed diabetes 1958–2008, according to the CDC. Figure taken from the web-site of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, accessed on 18/2/2011 [16]. . . .
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I know you use the term "Lymie" as an endearment. I just wonder if you might consider some of the discussion below. No reply needed, of course.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/30226

Topic: Please, do not call me a "Lymie"

P.S.

Thank you for your kind and understanding response below.

Even if some are not bothered by it, use of the term can have negative effects that spill over onto others who are quick to judge. Details here about how even some doctors have written articles that point to the "club member" "mentality" of those who call themselves by this nickname.

The spill over can damage those with lyme in various ways but, really, even if just a few are hurt by it, those few still really matter.
-

[ 04-14-2017, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think environmental factors play a larger role than Lyme would. There are so many things it could be triggered by.

ALS is VERY often connected to LYME disease.

Don't beat yourself up about anything. Genetics is strong and there's not much we can do about it except try to eat cleanly and take good care of ourselves.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the input everyone!

And yes, Dr. F is doing different DNA type of testing now, so asking him, he will know something... not sure if related to Type 1 or not. He's almost finished with the ALS studies.

Yea, Lymetoo... I can't beat myself up about this, even though I want to. I figure I've had whatever I've had since before I had my daughters so just the thought of maybe passing on things that would trigger autoimmune is on my mind.

And, yikes.... I believe it's the first time I've said the word 'lymies' and guess I won't use that again. Didn't realize it was so offensive to people.. I will mind my p's and q's from now on. I know I hate it when people use an 's' on the end of lyme, so completely understand. Did not mean to use the word to offend anyone.

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just hang in there, Hadlyme!

No worries on the "Lymies" thing.. I think it bothers very few of us.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement