LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Guess what is where it isn't suppose to be!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Guess what is where it isn't suppose to be!
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is nothing sacred anymore? It’s everywhere! Now they find it in the GULF OF MEXICO & FISH & SHELLFISH too!

Yes, take away my seafood and I am going to have a genuine melt-down! What's next? Pizza? Ice Cream? UGH!

QUOTE- "Surprisingly, non-native genera of public health concern were also detected, including Borrelia [Lyme], Ehrlichia, Leptospira, Mycobacterium, Mycoplasma, Salmonella, Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, and Treponema."

QUOTE- "It also represents a useful tool in public health as it may help identify infectious diseases associated with exposure to marine water and ingestion of fish or shellfish, and thus may be useful in predicting and preventing waterborne disease outbreaks."

At least we now know the big mystery behind the marine animals that Dr. Breitschwerdt's discovered that were infected with Bartonella.

They probably didn’t get Bartonella from little ticks on little rafts swimming out to sea to attach themselves to the whales and porpoises, although that was a plausible “working idea" in MY mind because ticks have so many legs they could have used as paddles.

Dr. Breitschwerdt's Studies- Porpoises & Whales With Bartonella

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18721502 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16485476

NEW STUDY

Pathog Dis. 2017 May 23. doi: 10.1093/femspd/ftx058. [Epub ahead of print]

Analysis of bacterial metagenomes from the Southwestern Gulf of Mexico for pathogens detection.

Escobedo-Hinojosa W, Pardo-López L.

Abstract

Little is known about the diversity of bacteria in the Southwestern Gulf of Mexico.

The aim of the study illustrated in this perspective was to search for the presence of bacterial pathogens in this ecosystem, using metagenomic data recently generated by the Mexican research group known as the Gulf of Mexico Research Consortium.

Several genera of bacteria annotated as pathogens were detected in water and sediment marine samples.

As expected, native and ubiquitous pathogenic bacteria genera such as Burkolderia, Halomonas, Pseudomonas, Shewanella, and Vibrio were highly represented.

Surprisingly, non-native genera of public health concern were also detected, including Borrelia, Ehrlichia, Leptospira, Mycobacterium, Mycoplasma, Salmonella, Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, and Treponema.

While there are no previous metagenomics studies of this environment, the potential influences of natural, anthropogenic and ecological factors on the diversity of putative pathogenic bacteria found in it are reviewed.

The taxonomic annotation herein reported provides a starting point for an improved understanding of bacterial biodiversity in the Southwestern Gulf of Mexico.

It also represents a useful tool in public health as it may help identify infectious diseases associated with exposure to marine water and ingestion of fish or shellfish, and thus may be useful in predicting and preventing waterborne disease outbreaks.

Link Here
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28535299

I REALLY don’t want to play this game any more!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxy loxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't frying your fish etc. before ingestion kill the bacteria?
Posts: 477 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bartenderbonnie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 49177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bartenderbonnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on . . . You ve got to be kidding me ! I can't take it !

I would sign up for the Mars mission but I m castrophobic and scared of heights.

Posts: 2977 | From Florida | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foxy, that would be the hope, but no one has done studies on it that I know about.

Problem is too, many people eat and enjoy raw oysters, lightly steamed clams, oysters & shrimp, raw fish (not me) and lightly fried eels, crawdads, seaweed, etc.

And typically you don't cook fish or shellfish till it is really well done without it being burnt or mushy. (Inedible.)

It's just a shame we need to be cautious about beef, venison, lamb, milk, turtles, frog legs, and now all this sea food too. At least until we know for sure cooking (and how much cooking) will absolutely kill the spirochetes and other infectious agents.

Even if we do learn what it takes to kill the bacteria, it will still eliminate raw seafood, rare to medium well cooked meats, etc. in our diets.

BB- At least that last tick bite or that no seafood news hasn't affected your sense of humor! HA!

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention how this will negatively affect watermen and their families, truckers, seafood markets, marinas, sporting good suppliers (fishing), restaurants, etc. along the Gulf and elsewhere.

The Gulf and its economy still hasn't recovered from the latest oil spill. This could be the final nail in the coffin for many people who are still struggling to make ends meet.

AND... what about swimming, surfing, sailing and such in the infected water? Beach towns, beach related businesses, etc. could all have a tuff time.

It's a sad day to see this kind of news, for me at least.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Christopher J
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christopher J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. Though I think if you used all the new technologies youd find these types of bacteria eveywhere in a percentage of all creatures. Its just now they are searching for it. Also its some kind of leap to say you can contract these coinfections or lyme from eating something. Virtually all of us have bites as our vector. That might be the ideal way to turn exposure into infection.
Posts: 173 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess this is one time where being allergic to all seafood doesn't suck. [Roll Eyes] I thought salt was a sanitizing agent. Wow. [Eek!]
Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How would all these bacteria land in the water? Here I've thought it takes infected bugs to transmit these illnesses.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxy loxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am soooo confused though!!!

Wouldn't many of our beef, chicken etc. probably be carrying Lyme and other who knows what??

Tincup, that makes sense seafood isn't cooked as much. (I wouldn't know cause I stick with four legged beasties mostly, or at least fully cooked flappers!)

Ticks can be found on just about every living breathing things... and doesn't the bacteria die upon oxygen exposure???

Almost all cats have bartonella not? (or at least a lot of them) and toxoplasmosis...(in their feces) the cat that scratched ME sure did.... NASTY!!!

AHHHHHHHH if NOT, then it is SPREADABLE from hand shaking, kissing, patting, etc. etc.

Bartender Bonnie, I am right with you... maybe we can just compromise and chug around in space suits. Esp, when in the garden!!! [Wink]

What do you think Tincup? Will Nasa donate us all space suits?

Posts: 477 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
foxy loxy asked:

"Wouldn't many of our beef, chicken etc. probably be carrying Lyme and other who knows what??"

of course they ARE contaminated with all sorts of tick borne pathogens!!

-------------
I copy paste another post of mine:

https://www.amazon.com/Vector-Rodent-Borne-Diseases-Europe-America/dp/0521854474

I just read everything I could from this book.

It's just an epidemiological book, describing tick born diseases, how much animals, such as farm animals are infected, ticks, birds, mice, lice, people.....

Just statistic numbers, but they do SAY a lot in themselves!!

We're just one more species that ticks and biting insects use to transmit pathogens.

the most amazing thing is that most farm animals are mostly seropositive for Bb!!

And not only one Borrelia, but many types of borrelia.

If farm animals are contaminated, in GREAT NUMBERS, well, meat, milk is contaminated.

Why?

Because Borrelia cysts are not killed by cooking or normal pasteurization techniques. They resist more 600 degrees Celsius according to recent studies (or more, I can't remember the number exactly).

Anyway, cooking meat does not kill cysts, unless you cook them higher than 600 C (6 times boiling water temperature!!)

So, you got to stop eating meat, any meat, any animal product too!! (???)

--------------
My question is:

what about bed bugs??? Small microscopic bed bugs?
What if THESE are proved to have Bb and bart?

Would you sleep standing on the wall???
[Big Grin]

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read that milk pasteurization is only 72 Celsius??!

Well, Bb cysts are laughing at us!!!

But I agree with Christopher: vector biting seems to be the major part of infection for us.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Related, but in some way that my brain can't quite put to words.

And, oh, wonder where the toilets from boats big & small unload? Not always how we think. Lots of diapers go to the oceans, too, along with so much other trash that makes the sea critters sick.

But sea critters also encounter vectors, sea lice, etc. Fish "farms" make this matter much worse as the sea lice thrive and then escape to other ocean fishes.

Still, even before mankind came about, the process got a start:

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2017/05/11/527792274/superbugs-crawled-out-of-the-ocean-450-million-years-ago

Superbugs 'Crawled Out' Of The Ocean 450 Million Years Ago

By Michaeleen Doucleff - NPR - May 11, 2017

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/plastic-in-sea-salt-study_us_591b891ae4b041db896546a8

Ugh, Your Delicious SEA SALT May Have An Unwanted Ingredient: Plastics

By Carla Herreria - HuffPost - 5/17/17

This story is part of a series on ocean plastics.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have decided that I can't worry about everything in life, so I am going to enjoy my shrimp cocktail, smoked oysters, and cooked fish.

Give me some crab or lobster, too. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8890 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It's not so much about not worrying as just knowing how to find the cleanest sources for the foods we enjoy -- and being mindful of how our personal habits, and societal tendencies - affect the foods we require.

The web makes is so much easier to find the best sources.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

If everything is infected with Borrelia, and etc. than everyone should be infected as well.

Why doesn't everyone test positive???????

Which means either

A. there is something wrong with MY immune system (Than why do antibiotics help?)

B. You can ingest Borrelia etc. and it does not infect you...(hard to believe.)

C. Maybe it depends on HOW MANY infections you get at once? (probable)

I do think this whole Lyme thing is STRANGE!!!!!!!
I do not understand it AT ALL... and really wish it would get studied!

Brussels
Member # 13480

foxy loxy,

you got THE GOOD question!!

-------------------------
Dr. Rau, Paracelsus Switzerland says:
Lyme and its biological medical treatment

In the area of the Rhine river (Switzerland and South Germany), about 1:3 of ticks are carriers of
Borrelia spirochetes.

When an animal or human gets bitten, the chance of developing stage 1 Borreliosis is around 1:20-30.

The others who get bitten do not develop an erythema migrans or have Borrelia antibody IgM.

The question then arises: what happens to these others who are infected but don‟t get sick or at least have antibodies?

Our answer: it depends on your immune system.

---------------------------------

Brussels: the statistical math is a bit like this:

If 100 people are bitten in the area I live (same as Dr. Rau):

33 got contact with Bb through a contaminated bite.

3 to 5 people will have an EM rash OR IgM values OR fall with flu-like illness

28-30 'infected' people will have no antibodies, no IgM, no IgG in their bloods.

How is that possible?

They do NOT even get immune values changed!!

There is no trace of contact with Bb in most of them!!!

--------------------------------------
The basic question BECOMES then:

1) Is lyme an INFECTIOUS disease?

The person was healthy, and got ill BECAUSE a pathogen invaded one's healthy body and made one sick.

Then they should kill the pathogen and get back to a healthy state.

The pathogen will haunt the person for life, because even if one goes to remission, it will still be preying around.

The main fault is the PATHOGEN.

The best one can reach is remission.

The only thing one can do to prevent falling ill again is to avoid a next contact with the pathogen FOREVER!

Avoid tick bites, nature, flying mosquitos, avoid eating contaminated food (all meats, all animal products), ...

... avoid unprotected sex, avoid sleeping in beds from other people (even your own, because you already had lyme), never make a baby (because you pass it to the baby) etc

2) OR is lyme an IMMUNE disease?

The person had burdens and weaknesses before the infection, and the contact with the pathogen was the tipping point to develop a clear illness.

Then they should aim at re-building the body and their immune system.
Only then, they get back to a healthy state.

The main fault is the weak immune system, not the pathogen.

Killing the pathogen is not at the core of the treatment, but the immune system is.

The aim is to get healthy again. Once you feel good again, the treatment is done.

You don't need to avoid contact with the pathogen, because your body shall be able to deal with it.

So, you are healed!

Brussels
Member # 13480

In my opinion, the truth is IN BETWEEN the 2 views.

Killing the pathogen helps the immune system to recover.

Pathogens seem to become more and more virulent in the last decades.

Ticks are colonizing areas that weren't their territory before.

BUT....ONLY killing will not bring many of us to health, nor allow a healthy positive life style.

Just think about being afraid of sleeping on your own mattress for life?

Afraid of strolling in nature for life?

Afraid of any flying insects? Cows, chicken, sheep, ALL farm animals, your own dog and cat?

Now fish, shellfish too?

Just relax! [Cool]

People mistake 'not catching colds', 'strong muscular force' as = being healthy!!

If you look at cancer, you'll see that 'muscular force' and 'not catching colds' aren't really signs of a healthy immune system (because strong muscular athletes such as Lance Armstrong can still get cancer!).

During lyme many people don't catch colds, and it doesn't mean they are healthy!

I rarely caught colds since my childhood but fell terribly ill with lyme.

You don't see the health of the immune system by clear visual signs or a list of clear features.

The more you read about cancer, you'll see that it looks like any body-type can 'get' cancer. And cancer is basically, an immune disease (even though it IS connected to pathogens in many cases).

-------------------------
Keep treating, not only the pathogen but your whole body, and you guys will make it!!

I'm bitten at least 3 times a year. Average is about 5 times / year.

My yearly statistical chance to be injected with Bb is 100%!!!

Before treatment, one bite would easily put me in bed arrest for months.

Now I don't get symptoms, usually, unless the tick is very very contaminated (too many pathogens at once). Then I just take some homeopathics, herbs, and the disease does not manifest anymore.

It's been 8 years lyme free DESPITE constant new tick bites. My daughter too!

This year, 2017, I already got 2 tick bites, my daughter one. I'm already on 66% chance of infection just this year!

Keep treating the body holistically while you kill some pathogens here and there, and GET YOUR LIFE BACK!

I don't see the purpose of treating such a difficult disease like lyme to get in the end LIFE IN PRISON as a reward! [bonk]

foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

There HAS to be something to this...

Growing up, (I am thirty) I pulled ticks off me all the time. We didn't know about Lyme.

So did everyone else. I can't imagine there are very many people around here who haven't been bitten.

Did they just happen NOT to get the tick with Lyme and I did? What are the chances when 75% of the ticks tested in my area have it???

WHY oh WHY do some get sick and others do not?

I agree Brussels. I am NOT living my life inside! Though TRUST ME... I am NOT lounging in the weeds either. And I do try to wear deterrents and shower directly after being outside!

I am an outdoor fan. I love gardening and watching things grow. I want to mow my grass and take a hike in the woods.

BUT... I can say that I think about it a lot now and try to do the best I can not to get bitten again!

I once found a tick on my cat. I took it off and had a delightful time burning him up with a match. OH how delightful to watch him turn into a crispy corpse!!!!!

Brussels
Member # 13480

The moment I was writing that yesterday, a tick was BITING ME!!!!

Can you believe that? Number 3 this year.
I reached my 100% statistical chance of being re-infected!!

Yep, avoid bites if you can.

I only went out for 10 minutes to water my plants in pots... I took a shower before bed, and bingo: I found the tick behind my left knee, the exact knee that screamed of pain due to lyme 12 years ago...

It was not a nymph, but already very 'black' in color.

Now that the tick head from bite number 2 fell off from my back, I get a third bite.

If I hadn't taken that shower, I would have discovered it only in the morning.

I'm on GcMaf, I hope it is activating some macrophages...

It's been 8 years without a relapse. How can there be so many ticks now, that is so hot?!

Tincup
Member # 5829

Christopher,

You said.. "Also its some kind of leap to say you can contract these coinfections or lyme from eating something."

Hopefully I didn't say that. I am concerned, however, that it might be a possibility and until, as I said earlier, more studies are done, we just won't know for sure.

We had to wait decades before we knew for sure if Lyme could be sexually transmitted. Or passed thru blood or organ donations. Now we know. And better safe than sorry while we don't know.

Geneal, I am still laughing at that comment!

Robin239287595683745- you said...

"How would all these bacteria land in the water? Here I've thought it takes infected bugs to transmit these illnesses."

Good thought to ponder. As we know, Lyme can be passed thru organ/blood donations. Also sexual transmission. No bugs involved there.

As for being in water or water creatures... maybe when mosquitoes large are infected and the bigger things eat them it happens?

Maybe because there is no designated bathroom space for fish it happens? They go anywhere and everywhere they want.

Maybe it was always there, even started there, and we just didn't know?

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Foxy- funny you! Don't know if we can all get space suits, so I am thinking maybe we could get enough of them for the IDSA/CDC toads to have and send them all out of this world?

[Big Grin]

Studies are being done showing some of the problems that many never consider. Here is one on cows. They found Bb in milk, serum, meat, etc.

QUOTE- "Dairy cattle and other food animals can be infected with B. burgdorferi and hence some raw foods of animal origin might be contaminated with the pathogen. Recent findings indicate that the pathogen may be transmitted orally to laboratory animals, without an arthropod vector. Thus, the possibility exists that Lyme disease can be a food infection."

Here I've highlighted in red some of the important points to consider.

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/pets/cows

Brussels, you said.. "My question is: what about bed bugs??? Small microscopic bed bugs?
What if THESE are proved to have Bb and bart?"

Not sure what a microscopic bed bug is, but bed bugs can and some do carry Lyme and Bartonella. If you mean lice, they too can harbor the bacteria.

Here is an abstract about common dust mites...

QUOTE- "House dust mite DNA contains evidence of Bartonella and other Gram-negative species. These Gram-negative species are likely to be the sources of the endotoxin found in mite allergenic extracts."

Source- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16337462

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Keebler, very interesting thoughts and info. Thanks of sharing it. Always.

Foxy, you asked... "Why doesn't everyone test positive???????"

You provided 3 possibilities which are all true. I'd add another... that if the tests didn't suck so badly and the IDSA/CDC weren't doing all in their power to shut us up and deny us and send the funding to their buddies, we may have been able to have more answers by now.

As to another concern you had... Dr. J in CT told me not too long ago that the children are showing up with more and more diseases, in much worse shape and they are much more complex and harder to treat than he has ever seen. I agree.

We don't know why, we just try to deal with what's in front of us the best we can.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Brussels, so sorry you are continuing to be bitten. Hope you can get those ticks under control.

Maybe not kill them all, but having a 1/100 chance of finding a tick instead of how many you are getting now should help.

We know with each bite the risks of becoming very ill increases. Please take care!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup, this may be nothing new. Animals have been harboring bacteria for millennia.

Just because they found Bart in these animals doesn't mean humans can necessarily get it from ingestion.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement