LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Weight Training Exercises Needed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Weight Training Exercises Needed
Bartenderbonnie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 49177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bartenderbonnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could someone walk me through weight training protocols for immune system boost ?

I need easy to follow directions. Step by step instructions for dummies.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Posts: 2977 | From Florida | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually just start at the bottom of my body and work up. I either use light weights or just my body weight.

calf raises (go on tip toes and back down, with or without weights)

squats (works quads, behind, and hamstrings) with or without weights.

cruches or sit ups for abs

I usually use the machines at my gym for back, but pinterest has a lot of back exercises

pushups (chest, shoulders)

dips (triceps)

bicep curl for biceps--with or without weights

shoulder presses for shoulders --with or without weights

This is just one of many options. Start where you can. Add weight as you get stronger.

Then I stretch EVERYTHING at the end. Again, from bottom up. You don't have to go from bottom up, it just helps me remember what muscles I've done and what muscles I haven't.

Hopefully others have more suggestions too. It is a hard thing to make myself do, but I do better when I make myself.

Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have access to a weight bench like I did, then you do this at home. Otherwise, you would go to a gym and use about 4 weight machines.

I suffered from extreme muscle weakness, so I could only exercise any one muscle group for about 3 minutes. So, I did my routine over and over and over until I reached an hour.

Typical routine:

Lift weights on an arm machine, or just use hand weights, cans of soup, larger cans of beans, etc. or whatever you have.

Do various arm weight lifting exercises. So, if you can rig up a pulley, put a weight at the end of the pully and push down on the pulley.

When the arms get tired, then move to abs, or legs. So, do a number of crunches (abs) until tired.

Then, move on to legs. Use leg weight machines (leg lifts, leg press, etc.) or if you have ankle weights, lift your legs with ankle weights on them at home.

Once your legs are tired, do back exercises against a wall or whatever back exercises you find on the Internet.

Then, do bench presses to work the chest muscles.

Then, do butt exercises (on a weight machine or whatever you can find on the Internet). Then, start all over again.

You can do the exercises in any order, just so you do arms, chest, abs, back, butt, and legs.

Once I got in shape, I could do arms for 15 minutes, legs for 15 minutes, then chest, back, and butt for the remaining 30 minutes.

Use LIGHT weights and MANY repetitions. That's what Burrascano says.

Do weightlifting for one CONTINUOUS hour per Burrascano.

Then, rest. Do this every OTHER day. Never 2 days in a row.

I did it in the evening using a clock. Then, I laid down and a little later I went to bed for the night.

I found that an hour of weightlifting MADE me have to take a nap, so doing it in the evening was best for me. But, you can do it any time.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TF I like the round robin idea. I didn't think of that.
Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

TF I like the round robin idea. I didn't think of that.
Bartenderbonnie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 49177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bartenderbonnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks HW88 and TF.

I read every sentence twice. Hopefully it will sink in my brain.

I got tired just reading it.

Maybe I will feel better tomorrow and be able to start slow, very slow.

Posts: 2977 | From Florida | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How 'bout this BB. As a start.

If you can do this, then wait a day and do it again the following day (without pain and problems), then do it and nothing else for a couple of weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2aBPh_2eEo

Here is another choice if you are having trouble with the first video.

http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/exercise/videos/stretches/

Once you have been able to do this routine for a couple of weeks without discomfort, then you can try something more aggressive.

You will notice this isn't weight training exercises. My thought is anything more strenuous right now, for YOU, will do more harm than good. Go slowly!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement